The Dijeh in Space?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

The Dijeh in Space?

So how well could the Dijeh operate in outer space? We mostly see it on the ground in official material(Amuro fights with it in Africa, Later he uses a modified version in space colony in a spin off manga, the Lucio Company Dijeh are shown fighting in the Midwest in Narrative). However Amuro has his own reasons for avoiding space at first in Zeta, plus later in ZZ he is said to have gone to space to fight(though it's not clear if it was still with the Dijeh). Also none sends any Dijeh units to the Argama in ZZ, so it could be that the Dijeh works better on the ground, while the Hyaku Shiki is better in space.
John-Luck Pickerd

Re: The Dijeh in Space?

I thought the Dijeh is a ground-use MS based on the Rick Dias, and thus isnt very useful in space. Which is why Rick DIjeh, the space-version of the ground-version of the space-ground Rick Dias, exist.
Mafty

So were there any MSV or Spinoff Manga in the 80's (not exactly cannon, but still) that showed Amuro's activities during the First Neo-Zeon War? Or was this first explored in Gundam Evolve?
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:17 pm So were there any MSV or Spinoff Manga in the 80's (not exactly cannon, but still) that showed Amuro's activities during the First Neo-Zeon War? Or was this first explored in Gundam Evolve?
Not exactly in the 80's.
The completely non-canon Gundam vs Gigantis(Ideon)
https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/gigantis/index.htm
(like Hidden shadow of G, if anyone thinks this is canon, I will have to question the mentality of the person)

The 1986 ZZ novel also showed him working for Karaba. While he was never seen in space here, his conversation with Judah hints CCA and his determination to go to space later to stop Char.
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:20 pm Not exactly in the 80's.
The completely non-canon Gundam vs Gigantis(Ideon)
https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/gigantis/index.htm
(like Hidden shadow of G, if anyone thinks this is canon, I will have to question the mentality of the person)
Funny part is, by Sunrise's own guideline (well, Sunrise is no more, and it look like they don't care about it anymore either, but I digress), Gigantis' Counterattack only become unquestionable non-canon when Unicorn got animated (and contradict it with Minerva's status). Until then, it's just extremely crazy but otherwise can fit in continuity as much as usual UC manga.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 am Funny part is, by Sunrise's own guideline (well, Sunrise is no more, and it look like they don't care about it anymore either, but I digress), Gigantis' Counterattack only become unquestionable non-canon when Unicorn got animated (and contradict it with Minerva's status). Until then, it's just extremely crazy but otherwise can fit in continuity as much as usual UC manga.
Well, Hasegawa claims it to be non-canon in that manga and even the timeline attached to that particular book didn't include those events.(though I read the Chinese version so I am not entirely sure if the timeline was added by the Chinese publishers or originally in the book or not.)

But yes, the events fit in the continuity surprisingly well compared to even 0083 OVA.
Mafty

True, when you look at the the more Science Fantasy angle of stories like Narrative and to a degree Turn A Gundam, Gigantis story doesn't seem that outlandish, even if Hasagawa claimed it to be non-canon. Especially when you compare it with Hasagawa's other UC works like Crossbone, which themselves could get kind of out there at times, particularly in the mech designs.

I still think it would be neat to have more focus on Amuro's activities during the Neo Zeon war. I've heard that originally Amuro and Char were supposed to be more prominent in this series, but when CCA was greenlit , this was scrapped. Granted I think CCA is a great movie, and the increased budget definitely helps the epic feel of the final storyline.

That being said we still have the Gundam Evolve OVA's (I'm not even going to attempt to guess if these count as canon). Which showcase Amuro's Zeta Plus in a prominent appearance, and has some great action scenes. considering The Zeta Plus has actually appeared in Green Divers, it kind of makes sense to use that as Amuro's Neo Zeon war use MS(Plus the Zeta Plus is hardly as over powered as other suits that were retconned later.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 am True, when you look at the the more Science Fantasy angle of stories like Narrative and to a degree Turn A Gundam, Gigantis story doesn't seem that outlandish, even if Hasagawa claimed it to be non-canon. Especially when you compare it with Hasagawa's other UC works like Crossbone, which themselves could get kind of out there at times, particularly in the mech designs.

I still think it would be neat to have more focus on Amuro's activities during the Neo Zeon war. I've heard that originally Amuro and Char were supposed to be more prominent in this series, but when CCA was greenlit , this was scrapped. Granted I think CCA is a great movie, and the increased budget definitely helps the epic feel of the final storyline.

That being said we still have the Gundam Evolve OVA's (I'm not even going to attempt to guess if these count as canon). Which showcase Amuro's Zeta Plus in a prominent appearance, and has some great action scenes. considering The Zeta Plus has actually appeared in Green Divers, it kind of makes sense to use that as Amuro's Neo Zeon war use MS(Plus the Zeta Plus is hardly as over powered as other suits that were retconned later.
Not Amuro's Zeta plus, but Amuro's Zeta unit 3.

Amuro's Zeta plus is another unit completely different which may not even be piloted by Amuro but just a training unit used by Karaba as a propaganda.
Mafty

That explains why the unit looked so similar. Again it actually seems a bit more plausible to retcon a character with another existing unit, than to try and add a technologically advanced unit earlier into a timeline(there are too many examples to list in the OYW, however there's also the units seen in Stardust Memory, and also Unicorn, of course the stories actually did quite a good job of explaining why these tech units are never mention later in the timeline).

On a minor note, it's kind of interesting that unlike other Aces, Amuro has no exact custom color scheme. The Dijeh is Blue, Teal, Yellow and Red, Zeta Unit 3 is Grey and Purple (as is the Hi-Nu Gundam), and the Nu Gundam is Black (or Blue depending on the merchandising or art) and White. The only consistency is Amuro's distinctive "A" Emblem.

On a slightly different note. Was the Dijeh made specifically for Amuro? Or was it assigned to him?
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:34 am
On a slightly different note. Was the Dijeh made specifically for Amuro? Or was it assigned to him?
Not specifically for him, just assigned.
Unless you are talking about other later version like the Rick Dejih (Amuro Custom).
Mafty

That would explain the lack of a custom color until later, indeed most of Amuro's later units in side stories seem to follow the Grey and Red/Purple colors, like the Rick Dijeh, Hi Nu Gundam, and some versions of the Nu Gundam itself.

Also going by the original timeline of just the Anime, Amuro doesn't get his own custom unit until the Second Neo Zeon war. Given how the Earth Federation views Newtypes (particularly Amuro after the OYW), this is probably why.