Purging Armor on Full Armor Mobile Suits

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Purging Armor on Full Armor Mobile Suits

I've been wondering if other Mobile Suits with Full Armor configurations were designed to purge the armor after its taken enough of a beating. The Chobham armor on the GM Cannon II is derived from Alex but I recall hearing that specific type of armor is not designed to be purged in the same way Alex's was.

I'm curious if any of the publications mention if the Full Armor Gundam MK-II, FA MK-III or the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai were designed to shed armor as they takes damage.
Mafty

Re: Purging Armor on Full Armor Mobile Suits

It's difficult to say really. As many times the shedding of armor may infact be a last resort in battle.

For example the Virtue Gundam to Nadleeh in 00.

Also Mikazuki Augus in the Battle of Edmonton in IBO, sheds armor in order to fight the Graze Ein, plus the purged armor actually protects the main units functions.

This is more of a modification, but Chirico removes some of the Scopedogs armor in order to create the Light Scopedog in Votom Big Battle OVA.

In Majestic Prince Kei ejects Purple Two's malfunctioning armor and uses it as an added explosive in a large scale battle.
Dark Duel

Another example is the Duel Gundam's Assault Shroud, which it purges during its fight against the Forbidden.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

I totally forgot about the Duel Gundam. Up until the ending I didn't even realize the Assault Shroud could actually be removed. I'd thought it was permanently welded on to the frame after the damage the Duel suffered. So if that the case this would also go to the mass produced units from the Astray series (anyone else wish some of these got animated?) like the Long Dagger or Duel Daggers Fortestra Mode.
SonicSP

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/GN-000FA ... Battle.png

As seen in the art above, 0 Gundam Full Armor from 00 can also purge it's armor to generate a temporary GN Field effect that provides a lot of defense while also restoring it's original mobility.

00 Qan[T] also needs to purge most of its armor to use its Quantum Field ability. That was also sort of a last resort scenario I guess.
John-Luck Pickerd

Mafty wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:41 pm I totally forgot about the Duel Gundam. Up until the ending I didn't even realize the Assault Shroud could actually be removed. I'd thought it was permanently welded on to the frame after the damage the Duel suffered. So if that the case this would also go to the mass produced units from the Astray series (anyone else wish some of these got animated?) like the Long Dagger or Duel Daggers Fortestra Mode.
I am not sure Duel's armour was purged, rather than just blasted to bits.

But the Duel and Long Daggers do have purgable armour. Infact when the pilot purge the armour it would also release a intense fladh to hinder enemies
Underrated GM Custom

Yeah I had forgotten about that trick with the Duel AS, pretty useful to flashbang the surrounding area when going through a transformation.
Mafty

What about the Re-GZ? from CCA? The BWS Waverider Mode is shown to be removable and ends up being used as a secondary weapon/shield in battle.
Underrated GM Custom

Wait the BWS was used as a Shield? I don't remember that from CCA
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 am Wait the BWS was used as a Shield? I don't remember that from CCA
Both times we see the BWS in CCA it can be construed as taking a shot for the ReGZ. (Also it's pretty convenient that CCA is back in Gundaminfo while this topic is ongoing, sorry to anyone who'll try these links after this upload is taken down though)

1. In 4:50 the BWS takes a shot from Gyunei's funnel right before the ReGZ disengages from it (i.e the funnel was aimed at where the combined ReGZ+BWS would have been had Amuro not ejected from the BWS)
2. Later in the movie in 1:14:51 the ReGZ+BWS (now with Kayra on board) takes a hit on the left wing of the BWS from a Moussaka.
3. Then in 1:17:30 it takes a Jagd Doga missile to the right part of the backpack and BWS fuselage.
4. Lastly in 1:17:39 the nose of the BWS was destroyed by a Jagd Doga beam rifle shot, and Gyunei follows up with a beam saber attack, destroying the left BWS beam cannon, and shortly after Kayra finally ejects the ReGZ form the BWS.

So the BWS can take probably the same amount of damage as the ReGZ at most, but seeing that it is mostly used as a pseudo-integrated subflight system it was not really expected to tank damage intended for the main unit. Also Kayra was bumrushing to get to Axis, and maintaining the BWS's integrity was probably way down on her list of priorities then.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Mafty

Would the Gengaozo count? It's Back Weapon unit apparently serves as both a flight system and a detachable weapon.
Kuruni

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 am Wait the BWS was used as a Shield? I don't remember that from CCA
Technically speaking, I think it's more like smaller version of G-Armor.
Mafty wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:53 am Would the Gengaozo count? It's Back Weapon unit apparently serves as both a flight system and a detachable weapon.
Seriously, no. It isn't armor. Even less so than Unicorn's Full Armor (which at least come with multiple shields, even if it's acknowledged to be Full Armor in name only) or Mark II's G-Defensor (which does features large shoulder armors). What's next? Sword Striker since it's detachable and can use the Panzer Eisen as a small shield? Or Gundam X Divider's Divider Shield since it's a shield and removable? (Jamil actually thow it to save DX from falling during the fight against Rasveht)
My girlfriend was a loli.
Underrated GM Custom

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:21 am Both times we see the BWS in CCA it can be construed as taking a shot for the ReGZ. (Also it's pretty convenient that CCA is back in Gundaminfo while this topic is ongoing, sorry to anyone who'll try these links after this upload is taken down though)

1. In 4:50 the BWS takes a shot from Gyunei's funnel right before the ReGZ disengages from it (i.e the funnel was aimed at where the combined ReGZ+BWS would have been had Amuro not ejected from the BWS)
2. Later in the movie in 1:14:51 the ReGZ+BWS (now with Kayra on board) takes a hit on the left wing of the BWS from a Moussaka.
3. Then in 1:17:30 it takes a Jagd Doga missile to the right part of the backpack and BWS fuselage.
4. Lastly in 1:17:39 the nose of the BWS was destroyed by a Jagd Doga beam rifle shot, and Gyunei follows up with a beam saber attack, destroying the left BWS beam cannon, and shortly after Kayra finally ejects the ReGZ form the BWS.

So the BWS can take probably the same amount of damage as the ReGZ at most, but seeing that it is mostly used as a pseudo-integrated subflight system it was not really expected to tank damage intended for the main unit. Also Kayra was bumrushing to get to Axis, and maintaining the BWS's integrity was probably way down on her list of priorities then.
Thanks for taking the time to look that up. Good to know CCA is back on Gundaminfo (also on Netflix as well), I always like to revisit certain scenes to verify if what I remember or at least what I was thinking actually stacks up with the animation. I was rewatching Encounters in Space the other day to verify a few scenes with White Base and Musais and came across a few scenes I had forgotten about where we see OYW shields block beam shots.

Anyways, I agree with your analysis. I think the BWS is pretty sturdy, I was just surprised to hear it was used as a Shield although it sounds like it was used more as a 'human shield' than an actual shield :shock: :lol: