Anime recommendations

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Re: Anime recommendations

You might like Gundam the 08th MS Team. A OYW side story that is small in overall scope and scale. It focuses on the title unit and their repeated skirmishes against Zeon in South East Asia; complicating matters is that the Zeon keep trying to launch new Mobile Armors , and the Units leader Shiro has a history with the pilot of said Mobile Armors Aina...

The story is rather more gritty in setting and mechanics. The units are far less flashy, and far more utilitarian. The setting largely does away with the concept of Newtypes. The character designs are more realistic, and barring Aina give everyone natural hair colors. It could be compared to 0080 in taking away some of Gundams more fantastical elements, while still remaining true to the franchises tones and trend of developed characters and settings.
Kuruni

Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 am Choudenji Machine Voltes V- looks like a simple Monster of the week affair but there a bit more character development here compared to the super robots in the same time frame it aired. later on its also show the bad effect the divide between nobles and common people. how big is it in the Philippines? its a cultural icon bigger than the likes of Dragon Ball. its got Philippine only Manga Sequel and an upcoming live action TV show.
Outside of Philippine, however, Voltes V is often considered to be the weakest of the Romance Trilogy. It's usually Daimos that people elsewhere considered the best of three.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:48 am
Outside of Philippine, however, Voltes V is often considered to be the weakest of the Romance Trilogy. It's usually Daimos that people elsewhere considered the best of three.
very much true. Combatller ranks the lowest here. mostly because it aired WAY WAY late. same for Mazinger. the local channels even made commercials about Mazinger running late in its local airing iirc.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kirben

The results so far, my opinions only, not meant as insult to the series:
86 (Season 1)-
Spoiler
Poor attempt at war drama, the main character was all talk, until the end, when she made their situation worse, and had no other options left. The leader of the fighters had the ability to sense the enemies movements, but still wouldn't lead them to safety, when they clearly had no reason to continue battling. The mix of action, and slice of life movements (pointless chatting to the main character) was not believable at all. Even the mecha designs felt completely uninspired, more like walking guns.
Bismark (7 episodes) - I liked the characters, but the episodes were too stand alone, good vs evil. There was a lack of depth for the enemy, and little variety.
Full Metal Panic (18 episodes)- The series felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be, the action was lacking, and the filler between missions just got worse and worse. The spirit element added to the battles, destroyed any chance of good more realistic battles. Tessa felt completely out of place as a commander too, even if a genius.
Gundam 0080 (Completed) - The main character is too naive or stupid to be believable, almost as bad as a sociopath. In the early episodes he walked past areas damaged by the battles, in the later episodes he walked past people hurt by the battles, without any real care. It was more focused on the war is evil aspect, than a believable situation of a child dragged into the war.
Granblem (Completed) - I was surprised by this series, especially the ending
Spoiler
To destroy power, not use it
and enjoyed watching through the series. Yuri isn't a problem, if this is a typical example.
Knight & Magic (4 episodes) - The main character is not just over powered, but too perfect, which leaves no room for any real character or story development. The other characters, almost feel like a fan club for the main character. The mecha and enemy designs didn't blend in very well with the other animation either.
S.S.S. Gridman (4 episodes) - I completely lost interest when the accessories, I mean comrades were introduced. The monster of the week formula, plus a world reset didn't help either.
Voltes 5 (7 episodes) - Quickly got tired of the monster of the week formula, and petty squabbling of the team. There was not enough to hold my interest, even if the on-going elements improve more in the long term.

I hoped to try more of the Brave anime series mentioned earlier, but I can't find any sources for the complete series. I plan to try the other suggestions I missed, along with RahXephon, when I use free trial at HiDive in the future.

I discovered AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline while streaming through these series too, the first season was a decent war drama, and I like the Digimon/Pokemon inspired AI character element added to the series.
MythSearcher

Kirben wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 pm
Gundam 0080 (Completed) - The main character is too naive or stupid to be believable, almost as bad as a sociopath. In the early episodes he walked past areas damaged by the battles, in the later episodes he walked past people hurt by the battles, without any real care. It was more focused on the war is evil aspect, than a believable situation of a child dragged into the war.
Grade 6 kid, what do you expect?
To him the war is a very distant thing and he still thinks it is cool.
This is a reflection for younger Japanese generation where they have not seen war and starting to find war or war machines to be cool, especially those under the right wing influence.
And I don't think he didn't care about people in later eps, he was deeply influenced himself and people dear to him died, he couldn't take it, so he doesn't have time to care for others at that moment.
Henyo

Nice. ya liked Granbelm. i am waiting for the dub for a rewatch.
K & M. yeah, thats a main problem, especially if one is burned out bu the OP potato-kun MC of the recent isekais. the ironic part is that K & M predates the isekai boom. meaning its been doing what the current isekais have been doing in recent times.

Kyouaki Senki is a nice if slow burn mecha show. its quite similar to Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen. one major difference is that the MC is a soldier and its about him and the unit his is attached to.
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:48 am the ironic part is that K & M predates the isekai boom. meaning its been doing what the current isekais have been doing in recent times.
Not really. K&M started in 2010, the isekai boom basically started around the same time.
The Twelve Kingdoms' novel started way back in 1991, you also get 1993's Magic Knight Rayearth and earlier anime like Wataru, NG Knight, etc. (Even earlier we get 1979's Warrior from Another World. I am not counting Dunbine because it was not really a hit)
2004~2009's SAO, Zero's Familiar, etc. are all more recent isekai that shows the boom is actually much earlier than K&M.
K&M basically is one of those earlier ones the started when the boom is at its earlier stages, and is pretty signature that you get a lot of "MC is OP", "Everybody like MC", "MC's modern world knowledge is super helpful" isekai tropes from it.
Mafty

That being said K&M is a bit more rare in that it's an Isekai with mechs in it; granted this is not unheard of when you think of Dunbine, Panzer World Galient, Rayearth and Escaflowne, but they still don't happen that often.

Agreed that Kyouaki Senki has an Argevollen vibe going, though it seems to be ding better ratings wise, though personally I think Argevollen is a bit underrated.

If you win up with Hi-Dive they have some mech shows on there. Getter Robo Arc is a over the top mech series with a lot of action and some comedy, and Comet Lucifer has a Euerka Seven vibe with some nice mech battles.
Henyo

Mafty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:59 am That being said K&M is a bit more rare in that it's an Isekai with mechs in it; granted this is not unheard of when you think of Dunbine, Panzer World Galient, Rayearth and Escaflowne, but they still don't happen that often.

Agreed that Kyouaki Senki has an Argevollen vibe going, though it seems to be ding better ratings wise, though personally I think Argevollen is a bit underrated.

If you win up with Hi-Dive they have some mech shows on there. Getter Robo Arc is a over the top mech series with a lot of action and some comedy, and Comet Lucifer has a Euerka Seven vibe with some nice mech battles.
make that very very underrated. airing at the same time as Aldnoah made sure lotsa people miss out on it. as for Come Lucifer..i found it so meh the only things i can recall from it is that Show Hayami was in it and the opening was by Fhana.

The Getter Arc dub is must be experienced at least once.
Chris
Administrator

Mafty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:59 am That being said K&M is a bit more rare in that it's an Isekai with mechs in it; granted this is not unheard of when you think of Dunbine, Panzer World Galient, Rayearth and Escaflowne, but they still don't happen that often.

Although Galient is a rare fantasy mecha series, it's definitely not isekai.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

Chris wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:26 pm

Although Galient is a rare fantasy mecha series, it's definitely not isekai.
Well, iseki or not, I think we get quite some fantasy mecha series in late 80's and during the 90's?
Other than those mentioned, non isekai examples we get L-Gaim, FSS, Peachboy Legend, Hepoi(the castles are mecha), Ryu knight, Pizza Cats, Tenchi is also arguably kinda mecha(at least you get spaceship battles), Sakura Wars, Gasaraki(yes, there's enough fantasy element in this one XD)
Isekai examples we get Wataru, Granzört(kinda? the Moon world is leaning towards isekai), NG Knight, VS Knight, Masou Kishin, Knight Gundam(Knight Gundam and Satan Gundam were Musha Mark III from SD Senkoku Den teleported to the Lacroa, Knight Gundam's world.)

Suddenly figuring out Hiroi Oji is kinda the one behind a lot of 90's Fantasy mecha series.

With no anime, we also get games like Sequence Palladium, Hobby Japan got a table RPG called Wares Blade.

The Fantasy Robot/mecha topic kinda pops up from time to time, but seems like the sub genre never really pick up momentum. Individual titles can be successful, but cannot bring the sub-genre to popularity.
Kuruni

MythSearcher wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:31 pm The Fantasy Robot/mecha topic kinda pops up from time to time, but seems like the sub genre never really pick up momentum. Individual titles can be successful, but cannot bring the sub-genre to popularity.
Well, there're also many more Super Robot show set in modern time with a little dose of fantasy element. Just take a look at Super Sentai.

One thing worth to note is that the older isekai are "trapped in another world" and it's actually a "coming of age" story deep down. The hero in these stories, despite gifted with some power, always learn about hardship and responsibility. Modern isekai, "reincarnate in another world", however are more of escapism and power fantasy. Ironically, this actually make them closer to their western predecessor from the pulp era (you know, the story of a loser volunteer for experimental space program and end up as the king on some weird planet that's thankfully has hot alien babes).
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 am
Well, there're also many more Super Robot show set in modern time with a little dose of fantasy element. Just take a look at Super Sentai.
I guess every Super Robot is kinda fantasy in a way, even when not, they are really soft Sci-fi.
Mafty

Definitely, Even in the Real Robot group you see some fantastical elements. Look what the Newtype powers end up being capable of for example. Really you could that Gundam in particular could be a mix of Sci-Fi and fantasy in some elements.
VR7

It's not exactly mecha anime, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (2018-ongoing) is a pretty good adaptation of LOGH. Does not require watching the 1980s OVAs, though that's a pretty good one to look at as well.
-noel