Anime recommendations

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kirben

Anime recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations of mecha series, more obscure or older series preferred.
I currently blind buying too much from Discotek, since I can't stream their series, and it isn't working out.
I'm wondering if Machine Robo or the J9 series would be my type at all.

Mecha series I have enjoyed:
Appleseed (2004)
Armored Fleet Dairugger XV
Astro Boy (1980 series, 2003 series)
Big O
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Code Geass (season 1 more than 2)
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu
GaoGaiGar
Gasaraki
Giant Robo (original series, not the OVAs)
Heroic Age
Macross
Martian Successor Nadesico
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (season 1 more than 2)
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (only seen a few episodes of sequel, due to discs going bad)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (original series, not movies)
Oban Star-Racers
Patlabor (Movies, OVA, and TV series)
SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors
Six God Combination God Mars
Space Warrior Baldios
Tekkaman Blade
Tetsujin 28 (2004)
Tetsujin 28: The Lingering Moon of Midday
Vandread
Votoms (original series, not the prequels/sequels)
Zoids: Chaotic Century (New Century not as much)

Also I enjoyed Exosquad, one of the few western based cartoon series with mecha.

I enjoy mech series more for realistic mech, and on-going story, rather than for the battles or super robots. I think the problem might be I'm looking more for good sci-fi series which use mech, rather than just mech series.

Other mecha series I have sampled or seen:
Spoiler
A.D. Police (1999)
Acrobunch
After War Gundam X
Appleseed (OVA)
Appleseed Alpha
Appleseed Ex Machina
Aura Battler Dunbine
Beast King GoLion
Blue Gender
Break Blade
Captain Earth
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Combattler V
Dai-Guard
Dancougar - Super Beast Machine God
Future Robot Daltanious
GaoGaiGar Final
Giant Gorg
Gundam Build Fighters
K.O. Beasts
Mars Daybreak
Mazinger Edition Z The Impact
Mazinkaiser
Mazinkaiser SKL
Medabots
Megazone 23
Mobile Suit Gundam (Movies and TV)
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Ninja Robots
Roujin Z
Shin Tetsujin 28 (1980)
Star Driver
Super Dimension Century Orguss
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
Tekkaman Blade II
Turn A Gundam
Valvrave the Liberator
Video Senshi Laserion
Vision of Escaflowne
Xenosaga The Animation
Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh
Zoids Genesis
Zoids Wild
EDIT: Updated again
Last edited by Kirben on Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mafty

Re: Anime recommendations

I'll admit that I'm more into action at times than story, but here are some recommendations.

Gun X Sword: The series has some rather neat worldbuilding. It's set on a planet called Endless Illusion, which is made up of a wide array of colorful characters and settings. It's a story based around a ragtag group going up against a mysterious man named the Claw for vengeance and other personal reasons, in the process they are drawn into an even bigger crisis that put the fate of the world at risk. The show has some great battles and does a very good job at fleshing out the characters and their motivations. It's harder to find on Blu-Ray/DVD, so you might need to stream on Funimation (though I don't know what's available in Australia).

86 is a gritty war drama that deals with prejudice, loss of innocence, the harshness of war, and the desire to change. Based on a series of novels; the story focuses on a group of disadvantaged youths forced to pilot mechs in a brutal war; all the while being discriminated against by the society that put them in this position in the first place, as well as their kind-hearted commander, who is one of the few people to oppose this discrimination. The story is dark, but manages to do a great job at looking in depth at complex issues. Also the story itself is far more focused upon the characters and [politics than the mechs.

Akito the Exiled: A Code Geass spinoff(in fact the only animated Code Geass spinoff) set in the European Union. Focusing on similar issues as the main series; it is similar to 86 (which seems like it took more than a few ideas from this) in focusing on a kind-hearted commander who is determined to fight prejudice and treat her colleagues and subordinates like actual people. Almost every character in the show is well developed, it has a deep plot focusing not only on battles , but the backroom dealing and politicking, as well as references tying the first and second seasons of Code Geass together. It also has excellent animation in depicting the European setting, as well as the unique, well detailed mechs.
Underrated GM Custom

For the shows under the spoiler are those shows you don't like? It seems like you have a pretty broad variety of shows you like, but it sounds like you're looking for one with strong science fiction and realism angle with Mecha being a nice bonus. Here's what I'd suggest off the top of my head then:

Macross Plus (Drama)
Captain Harlock (Space Opera)
Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (Tragedy)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Space Opera)
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (Cyberpunk)

Looks like you also enjoy super robot shows with Gaogaigar, Gaiking and Giant Robo. You may like Giant Gorg, J-Decker, Shin Mazinger Impact, or Getter Robo Armageddon. If you like Toku you may also like SSSS.Gridman.
MythSearcher

Humanoid robots.
Gunbuster (and while the sequel Diebuster isn't really within your zone, the ending of both is even more moving if you watched both. You can probably just watch the combined movie version but I have not watched that. Also, warning, first 4 episodes of Gunbuster is a bit boring but builds up the tension for episode 5 and 6)
Obsolete (spiritual successor of Gasaraki)

No humanoid robots.
Cowboy Bebop (space opera+detective+Hong Kong Kung-fu action)
Last Exile (basically a WWI dogfight style aerial combat with retro looking flying machines. added with flying ships and musket era formation shoot outs)
Moretsu Space Pirates (at least for the light novel Miniskirt Space Pirates arc adaptations.)
Kirben

Mafty wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:02 am Gun X Sword
Thanks, 86 looks like exactly what I'm looking for, and Gun X Sword reminds me of Trigun, which I enjoyed too (other than manga differences for ending).
Mafty wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:02 am Akito the Exiled: A Code Geass spinoff
I forgot to add this one, it failed to live up to Code Geass in my case.
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am For the shows under the spoiler are those shows you don't like? It seems like you have a pretty broad variety of shows you like, but it sounds like you're looking for one with strong science fiction and realism angle with Mecha being a nice bonus.
The series under spoiler tag were a disappointment in one way or another:
I watch anime mainly for the stories, preferring TV series for long stories, giving my full attention. If characters are twisted to move story forward (actions that don't make sense, no consequences for actions), or story is weak, or story is full of plot holes I tend to lose interest quickly. I always give any new anime series at least 4- 10 episodes, depending on how it goes.

To use Giant Gorg as an example,the battle to get inside felt too long and dragged, while I was more interested in seeing some real interaction with the alien inside (which was far too short, and went poorly).
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am Here's what I'd suggest off the top of my head then:

Macross Plus (Drama)
If only the Macross spin offs were easier to access, I hope to check that one out one day.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime of all time.
Captain Harlock was too slow with the story build-up (I lost interest), and the young girl was annoying (I really don't like young kids added to these settings, they feel out of place). I have tried everything from Leiji Matsumoto I could access, I started with Harlock Saga & Interstella 5555, and enjoyed several other series (Space Symphony Maetel, Space Battleship Yamato I/II).
Is Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket still worth checking out as a stand alone story, if I have not enjoyed any UC Century so far?
I have watched the two Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex movies, and I tried the TV series several times, but I can't seem to get into them (not sure why exactly)
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am Looks like you also enjoy super robot shows with Gaogaigar, Gaiking and Giant Robo. You may like Giant Gorg, J-Decker, Shin Mazinger Impact, or Getter Robo Armageddon. If you like Toku you may also like SSSS.Gridman.
Gaogaigar, Gaiking were more because I still enjoy watching kids series, if they aren't too focused on the toys. Mazinger series in general doesn't seem my type, but I will check out the other series you mentioned.

Were any of the other Gundam SD series worth checking out? or were they more focused on humor? I did enjoy the story elements of SD Gundam Force too, even if it was too light hearted for some.
MythSearcher wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 pm Humanoid robots.
Gunbuster
Obsolete (spiritual successor of Gasaraki)
Gunbuster looks worth checking out, I always go for the longer version.
Obsolete looks exactly what I'm looking for, good timing for the Blu-ray release.
MythSearcher wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:41 pm No humanoid robots.
Cowboy Bebop
Last Exile
Moretsu Space Pirates
I tried these three in the past, not my type. Cowboy Bebop seemed more episodic, if I recall right.

Edit: Correct anime title name
Last edited by Kirben on Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MythSearcher

Kirben wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:23 pm Were any of the other Gundam SD series worth checking out? or were they more focused on humor? I did enjoy the story elements of SD Gundam Force too, even if it was too light hearted for some.
the old SD Gundam series is basically just a parody of MSG, Zeta ZZ and CCA.
the Sengokuden I don't think they have anime, and Sangokuden is a VERY loose adaptation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Gunbuster looks worth checking out, I always go for the longer version.
be prepared to be bored on the first few episodes then.
Also, if you watch Diebuster, while the first few episodes are more interesting but likely not your style. It is just, well, a really good sequel to Gunbuster that seems to be of entirely another extreme in the genre.(Gunbuster is having Super robot esque hot blood in a Real robot setting, while Diebuster is a much more futuristic Super robot settings)

I tried these three in the past, not my type. Cowboy Bebop seemed more episodic, if I recall right.
Yes, Cowboy Bebop is more episodic.

You may also want to watch Girls und Panzer

Wonder what your opinion on Knights & Magic will be.
Mafty

Yes you might like Knights and Magic; it's a rare Isekai involving Mecha. An obsessive mecha fan gets reincarnated into a fantasy world, where he uses his knowledge to spearhead the development of mecha in the world. The story has them fight both monsters and other human armies. The anime's tone is fairly light, has some nice battles, decent worldbuilding, and a large focus on the (cool looking, knight themed) mecha.

There's also Gundam Unicorn, which for the most part manages to mix a complex plot involving governments and corporations, with well animated fight sequences. The story is deep, but not so much so that you can't understand it, plus the show is full of shout out's to previous Gundam entries.

For a non Mecha example you might like some of these....

The Guyver basically a dark, animated Tokusatsu. It concerns a teenagers who through a series of events gains the ability to summon Bio-Mecha Armor and fight monsters from a shadowy organization known as Chronos. It seems like a typical plot, but it quickly gets darker and more complex, especially as it becomes clear just how deep the conspiracy involving the monsters goes. It's been running as a manga since 1985 and has several adaptations that each flesh out more of the story.

Chrome Shelled Regios kinda mixes several different things together. Basically in an environmentally devastated future Earth: Humans are forced to live in mobile domed cities (Think a cross between Macross Frontier and Overman King Gainer) and several humans amongst them use the power of Kei in order to fight against contaminoid monsters(which are kinda like the Blue from Blue Gender or some of the bigger Arachnids from the Starship Troopers movie). The characters wear colorful Sentai like costumes and the power of Kei can manifest in various weapons and powers. The show is a Light Novel adaptation, so it's unfortunately unfinished , but it still has a cool plot and a lot of neat actions scenes, plus a decent focus on the mechanics the characters use.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:49 am Yes you might like Knights and Magic; it's a rare Isekai involving Mecha. An obsessive mecha fan gets reincarnated into a fantasy world, where he uses his knowledge to spearhead the development of mecha in the world. The story has them fight both monsters and other human armies. The anime's tone is fairly light, has some nice battles, decent worldbuilding, and a large focus on the (cool looking, knight themed) mecha.
The problem is that the anime is not your best adaptation and one of the episodes is a complete filler for no reason(you have a lot more story after that in the novels and it totally throws off the pace of the show)

The manga is a much better rendition of the story.

I also wonder if Made in Abyss fits as a mecha series.
Kirben

MythSearcher wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:26 am You may also want to watch Girls und Panzer
Looks too sporty for me, I don't like the sports genre, as I lose interest in any series based solely around competition or tournaments. I avoided Mobile Fighter G Gundam, and dropped Gundam Build Fighters for this reason.
MythSearcher wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:26 am Wonder what your opinion on Knights & Magic will be.
I try to avoid Isekai in general, but the fantasy and mecha elements are enough to give Knights & Magic a try. Since it is too long since I last watched any fantasy series, I have not seen before. Fantasy is my second favorite setting, but non-Isekai series, which aren't video game adaptions are difficult to find.
MythSearcher wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:03 pm I also wonder if Made in Abyss fits as a mecha series.
I didn't know there was any use of mecha in Made in the Abyss, I was planning to check out that series, for the fantasy elements. But the last few episodes sounded far too gruesome from the reviews.
Mafty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:49 am There's also Gundam Unicorn
Tried that one long ago, although I might have been lacking the required background knowledge at the time (I had only seen the Mobile Suit Gundam movies before it, even longer ago)
Mafty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:49 am The Guyver
Chrome Shelled Regios
Not sure on these two, due to the use of monsters, as I don't like anything too gruesome. The first Guyver OVA in particular, sounds quite gruesome.

Also for general likes and dislikes, if it helps:
I hate fan service, and moe. But I can overlook if it isn't too overdone, and there is actually a good story.
I don't like slice of life, unless other elements are added (like Mushishi & Natsumi's Friends)
I don't like sports, only one series (Hikaru no Go) ever caught my interest, and I have tried all similar to that one.
I don't like anything too gruesome, or horror at all. Specifically things like blood, body parts, and gore everywhere.
Underrated GM Custom

Kirben wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:23 pm
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:36 am Here's what I'd suggest off the top of my head then:

Macross Plus (Drama)
If only the Macross spin offs were easier to access, I hope to check that one out one day.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime of all time.
Captain Harlock was too slow with the story build-up (I lost interest), and the young girl was annoying (I really don't like young kids added to these settings, they feel out of place). I have tried everything from Leiji Matsumoto I could access, I started with Harlock Saga & Interstella 5555, and enjoyed several other series (Maetel Legend, Space Battleship Yamato I/II).
Is Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket still worth checking out as a stand alone story, if I have not enjoyed any UC Century so far?
I have watched the two Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex movies, and I tried the TV series several times, but I can't seem to get into them (not sure why exactly)
Macross Plus recently came back to the US and aired in Theaters. If you're waiting on a Blu-ray it will be probably be forthcoming in the next few years with the recently deal with harmony gold.

Gundam 0080 is worthwhile as a standalone story, it focuses more on the people and the Mobile Suits are almost minimal.

You may enjoy Getter Robo Armageddon, the character motivations may seem skewed at times but a lot of that is due to the principal characters having a misunderstanding of an accident that happened in the past, as well as another character being controlled by body invaders.
MythSearcher

Kirben wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 pm
Looks too sporty for me, I don't like the sports genre, as I lose interest in any series based solely around competition or tournaments. I avoided Mobile Fighter G Gundam, and dropped Gundam Build Fighters for this reason.
yup, completely sports.

I try to avoid Isekai in general, but the fantasy and mecha elements are enough to give Knights & Magic a try. Since it is too long since I last watched any fantasy series, I have not seen before. Fantasy is my second favorite setting, but non-Isekai series, which aren't video game adaptions are difficult to find.
Well, K&M is an isekai but doesn't have most of the harem tropes(you get a bit of it in the beginning of the novel but was cut out in the anime because of obvious reasons that the MC is just crazed for robots and doesn't care for girls.). It does have the MC being too overpowered trope but I guess that is very prominent even in non-isekai stories nowadays.
Also, the author and the anime crew are definitely mecha fans, the MC is their self reflection.
I didn't know there was any use of mecha in Made in the Abyss, I was planning to check out that series, for the fantasy elements. But the last few episodes sounded far too gruesome from the reviews.
The anime, not much, other than the male MC is a robot.
In the manga, you do get some less human looking(but still roughly humanoid) robots in it later.

Yes, it is gruesome but shows how the world is like without making it too fluffy like many other isekai.
The story is definitely good enough to take that level of gruesomeness as it is a plot device.
Oh, and you actually don't get that much blood in it, it is just gruesome in a fantasy and mental way.
Henyo

More obscure? older? this where my fight starts!!! XD
does said older series have to be masterpiece level or just serviceable? I've got mecha titles that are more on obscure and niche than masterpiece/good but meh level. also, some of them are yuri(ish) if yer good with that lets a go~

Kannazuki no Miko- basically, a Yuusha series with added yuri.
Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora (Shattered Angels) - a pseudo sequel to the above anime. also links/uses other titles of the authors.
Soukou no Strain/Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry- Princess Sarah as a mecha pilot. uses time dilation concept similar to Gunbuster.
Umi no Tristia - OVA adaptation of a PC game. revolves around a mecha golem tournament.
Lime-iron Senkitan-Sakura wars, only with russo japanese war as the backstory/setting. mechas are more along the lines of JOJO stands. should also note that it is adapted from a H game.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
John-Luck Pickerd

Full Metal Panic, it started out as novel series, there is also manga and anime ofc, but the animr havent covered the ending yet.

Season 1, The Second Raid and Invisible Victory are the "main" storyline where serious things happen. Fumoffu is basically the slice-of-life stuff based on various short stories the author wrote.
DragoMaster009

No sports huh? Well there goes my suggestion of Iron Leaguer.
Kuruni

Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm Kannazuki no Miko- basically, a Yuusha series with added yuri.
Do note, however, that if you don't really care about yuri and just want mech, then you'll feel like being cheated by the end.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Kirben

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:37 pm Macross Plus recently came back to the US and aired in Theaters. If you're waiting on a Blu-ray it will be probably be forthcoming in the next few years with the recently deal with harmony gold.
I really hope so, I would consider importing the Japanese release, except it was English dub only.
Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm More obscure? older? this where my fight starts!!! XD
does said older series have to be masterpiece level or just serviceable? I've got mecha titles that are more on obscure and niche than masterpiece/good but meh level. also, some of them are yuri(ish) if yer good with that lets a go~
Masterpiece level, if I have missed any classed as that good. But just obscure or older series which are good enough story wise, to still be worth watching through. Yuri may be too much if it is overdone, due to my hate of fan service in general.
Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm Kannazuki no Miko- basically, a Yuusha series with added yuri.
This one goes too far, no rape, it has ruined a few other titles when it showed up unexpectedly.
Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora (Shattered Angels)
Lime-iron Senkitan-
Look too heavy on fan service, rather avoid anything listed as Ecchi.
Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm Umi no Tristia - OVA adaptation of a PC game. revolves around a mecha golem tournament.
Short, but no real interest in tournaments.
Henyo wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:07 pm Soukou no Strain/Strain: Strategic Armored Infantry- Princess Sarah as a mecha pilot. uses time dilation concept similar to Gunbuster.
This one sounds alright to try, I will add to the list.
John-Luck Pickerd wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:51 pm Full Metal Panic
Looks well worth trying out, added to the list.
Henyo

Kirben wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:38 am stuff
to be fair to Tristia, its only 2 episodes. and those 2 episodes don't focus on the tournament but just some shenanigans with the characters. least that's what i can recall. been a while since i watched that.

more recommendations then.

Rinne no Lagrange - girl meets alien girl in Kamogawa. alien girl asks girl to help her(by piloting a robot) girls gets roped into a war between two planets, with Kamogawa as the most frequent place of battle. there are other pilots and the director has said No romance(straight romance that is) quite light on the fanservice IMO. and the yuri sits firmly in the subtext.

Sei Juushi Bismarck - Four teenagers in a transformable spaceship protect the solar system from an alien invasion. also has a English adaptation called Saber Rider. notable feats has the main robot voiced by Peter Cullen.

Ninja senshi Tobikage - Mars kids get roped into a war. their units can combine with an the titular Tobikage to transform into a more powerful animal based mode. like Bismarck this one had ana english adaptation. its called, wait for it, Ninja Robots.

Now if we're talking about Masterpiece level. as a Filipino of a of a certain age bracket, i am kinda obligated to talk about this title.

Choudenji Machine Voltes V- looks like a simple Monster of the week affair but there a bit more character development here compared to the super robots in the same time frame it aired. later on its also show the bad effect the divide between nobles and common people. how big is it in the Philippines? its a cultural icon bigger than the likes of Dragon Ball. its got Philippine only Manga Sequel and an upcoming live action TV show.

to quote my online friend: Code Geass shows a team toppling a corrupt government/Dictatorship, Voltes V managed to help do it in real life. to this day, Filipinos seeing a five piece robot(or any super robot in general) will say its a Voltes V inspired.
Kirben

Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 am Rinne no Lagrange
Not sure on this one, if only more series were available via streaming. I'm limited to Crunchyroll or HIDIVE streaming wise, no RetroCrush.
Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 amSei Juushi Bismarck
This series has been on my watchlist for a long time, I didn't realize it was available in English now.
Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 amNinja senshi Tobikage
This was the last mech series I actually watched, via the Discotek release (Japanese version). The main mecha pilots got annoying rather quickly, there were major plot holes, and the story didn't seem to be going beyond generic good vs evil.
Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:17 amChoudenji Machine Voltes V- looks like a simple Monster of the week affair but there a bit more character development here compared to the super robots in the same time frame it aired. later on its also show the bad effect the divide between nobles and common people. how big is it in the Philippines? its a cultural icon bigger than the likes of Dragon Ball. its got Philippine only Manga Sequel and an upcoming live action TV show.
I still own the complete Robot Romance Trilogy but I didn't make it beyond Combattler V, I will definitely have to give the second series a chance now.
Henyo

Kirben wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:42 am stuff
Rine no lagrange Internet Streaming:
Anime on Demand (UK)
AnimeLab (Australia and New Zealand)
RetroCrush
Viewster (DE, AT, CH, SE, NO, DK, FI, NL, LI: Simulcast)
VizAnime
Licensed by:
Discotek Media (current)
Viz Media

so no sailing the seven seas route eh?
the English of Bismarck is the one WAY back in the olden days, just making sure we on the same page.
do give Voltes a try. and..if yer interested in narmy old school dub, voltes' Filipino English dub is available on youtube. and if yer interested i can give ya links to the manga sequel once yer done. someone is translating it into other languages and I've provided scans for two issues.

Oh i just remembered other series. both female led.

Granbelm-think Madoka Magica with Mecha. and one selling point is the mechas are animated in 2d.
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars- this one also has 2d mech action. but the story..is kinda Meh...
Kirben

Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:07 am Rine no lagrange Internet Streaming:
Anime on Demand (UK)
AnimeLab (Australia and New Zealand)
RetroCrush
Viewster (DE, AT, CH, SE, NO, DK, FI, NL, LI: Simulcast)
VizAnime
Licensed by:
Discotek Media (current)
Viz Media
AnimeLab was merged into Funimation, which is currently been merged into Crunchyroll. We lost streaming access to many titles, due to those changes.
The other services listed aren't available to Australia.
Buying is usually the only way to see anything licensed by Discotek Media.
Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:07 am so no sailing the seven seas route eh?
the English of Bismarck is the one WAY back in the olden days, just making sure we on the same page.
I prefer to stay legit, for any licensed series. I only go that route, when licensed series end up released English dubs only, especially if edited.
I will be watching Bismark via the Japanese version, with the unofficial English subs.
Henyo wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:07 am Oh i just remembered other series. both female led.
Granbelm-think Madoka Magica with Mecha. and one selling point is the mechas are animated in 2d.
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars- this one also has 2d mech action. but the story..is kinda Meh...
They sound worth a try at least, since I can easily stream them.