RX-93 v Gundam design

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

RX-93 v Gundam design

So what exactly is the official color scheme for the v Gundam? In CCA it is painted Black and White; however in other official works (like the new statue), its painted Blue and resembles the Gundam NT-1 Alex from 0080 a bit. so was the color changed in later designs? Or was it always meant to be seen as Blue when painted black(kinda like how the Mk II is referred to as the "Black" mobile suit when its painted Blue)?
Seto Kaiba

Re: RX-93 v Gundam design

It's usually painted either black or a dark blue-grey that is very close to black.

The only incarnation of it that I can recall that was that bright blue was the one in Build Divers.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Jamafore

Off the top of my head, you may be thinking of 2 different suits. The one from CCA, the black and white one is the Nu Gundam, (https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/cca/rx-93.htm), while the blue and white one is the Hi-Nu, a different version from a mange/novel/retelling thingy, (https://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/cca-n ... 93-v-2.htm)
QUOTE - Drudge Dreadnought - Bolter and Chainsword
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake a world if he has but a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."
Underrated GM Custom

They redesigned the statue since the fin funnels on the back of Nu would be a massive liability during a typhoon. Tomino worked on the redesign and for the Nu statue which is a separate Nu with a different model number (RX93ff) and color scheme. Even better for Bandai it means they get to sell a new and exclusive kit hah
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PowerdGNFlag

New statue aside, I think the confusion about whether the Nu Gundam is supposed to be black or a very very dark blue comes from the model kits. While the onscreen version is almost certainly meant to be black, the model kits (since the very first kits back in '88) have (almost) consistently given the Nu's main color (or at the very least, the recommended paint color) as midnight blue with some cobalt blue added in. In particular,
  • 1/144 and 1/100 kit (1987/88): midnight blue + (some) cobalt blue
  • MG (2000): midnight blue (60%) + cobalt blue (30%) + blue (10%)
  • HGUC (2008): midnight blue (60%) + cobalt blue (30%) + blue (10%)
  • MG Ver.Ka (2012): bright blue (45%) + black (25%) + white (15%) + red (15%)
  • BB Senshi (2014): GM45 SEED Dark Blue
  • RG (2019): cobalt blue (40%) + bright blue (30%) + black (20%) + navy blue (10%)
  • SD EX-Standard (2020): black (100%)
So as far as the Gunpla is concerned, it wasn't until 2020 that we had a Nu Gundam that was meant to be black! Though still, the only definitive answer to this can only be had if we somehow get our hands on some of those sweet, sweet settei...
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Fascinating, I had always known the Nu from the animation and MSV designs so I had always assumed it was intended to be black or a very dark grey. Very interesting to learn the Kits reference midnight blue as far back as 1987/88.
Mafty

Well looking again at this figure I have of the Nu Gundam, it is indeed a Midnight Blue on White in model/figure form, but it is still rendered Black in animation.
PowerdGNFlag

I've also seen rumors that for home video releases of CCA there were some color-correction done that made the Nu bluer than the original theatrical release, though judging from the trailer for the 4K Ultra HD release in 2018 (AFAIK the latest one so far) there seems to be no merit in this.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

I didn't realize they released a 4k version of CCA, I picked up the bluray edition last year but I would have gladly gone for the 4k if it was available. Ah well.
Chris
Administrator

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm I didn't realize they released a 4k version of CCA, I picked up the bluray edition last year but I would have gladly gone for the 4k if it was available. Ah well.
The 4K versions haven't been released in North America and I wouldn't expect them to be.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Underrated GM Custom

Why do you suppose that is? Not worth the the investment from Nozomi when the BD are selling just fine?
Mafty

It probably comes to to cost; even a popular series may not make enough back for them to pay for the 4K release. This may also be the reason that even with Gundams continual popularity, there still aren't a lot of manga from it released outside Japan.
Chris
Administrator

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:14 pm Why do you suppose that is? Not worth the the investment from Nozomi when the BD are selling just fine?
Basically what Mafty said above. Replicating Blu-ray discs, particularly 4K ones, isn't cheap, and Gundam is so niche in North America that the potential buying audience probably doesn't justify the cost of producing the discs.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his