The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Janx wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:33 pm Honestly my main thoughts on this episode is having farm animals in zero-g with nothing to collect their droppings would be a titanic mess.
They had something... it's called "Suletta".

Chris wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:42 pm
Mafty wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:22 pm I'll admit to finding the show oddly engaging, but I agree the plot could do with more development
Spoiler
Seriously we're at the last episode and this is only the second real battle in the series, which really isn't what you go in thinking from the pilot. Not to mention all the background dealing are more than bit confusing, and even create some plot issues (i.e. Elnora partnering with the guy she wants revenge on?)
Spoiler
What at all is confusing about Elnora partnering with Delling? It lets her get close enough to him to betray him at the opportune moment.
Spoiler
The confusing part isn't what it's in it for Elnora... it's what's in it for Delling.

After all, Delling Rembran IS the man who was so opposed to the use of GUND Format that he masterminded the creation of an ethics enforcement regulatory body with an unlimited license to kill and then had the entire research group behind GUND Format executed without trial.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Janx

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:15 am
Spoiler
The confusing part isn't what it's in it for Elnora... it's what's in it for Delling.

After all, Delling Rembran IS the man who was so opposed to the use of GUND Format that he masterminded the creation of an ethics enforcement regulatory body with an unlimited license to kill and then had the entire research group behind GUND Format executed without trial.
Spoiler
The answer to that likely is whatever Quiet Zero is. The discussion makes it sound like GUND factors into it somehow. It clearly isn't something he wants to share with the Benerit Group. I'm guessing it extends beyond profits and is more personal which is why he's willing to be a massive hypocrit. Its possible his continued appearance of support of anti-GUND policies is precisely to keep it out of the hands of the others. We did get a line last episode of him being a solider, not a businesnessman.

Personally I feel like he's going to end up not being a bad dad all along. Or at least not as regligent as Mio thinks he is.
Mafty

True and strange partnerships are nothing new in Gundam
Spoiler
I.e. in Zeta, the Titans were created to oppose Zeon remnants, then they go and try to partner with them anyway, of course the Titans were a bunch of power hungry fascists' , so being hypocritical was the least of their problems. Also in Victory Gundam Kagatie tries to execute Tassilo, only to rehire him after the botched execution, when he decides he may prove more useful alive. Even Fuala pointed out how crazy the whole situation was.
Seto Kaiba

Janx wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:17 pm
Spoiler
The answer to that likely is whatever Quiet Zero is. The discussion makes it sound like GUND factors into it somehow. It clearly isn't something he wants to share with the Benerit Group. I'm guessing it extends beyond profits and is more personal which is why he's willing to be a massive hypocrit. Its possible his continued appearance of support of anti-GUND policies is precisely to keep it out of the hands of the others. We did get a line last episode of him being a solider, not a businesnessman.

Personally I feel like he's going to end up not being a bad dad all along. Or at least not as regligent as Mio thinks he is.
Spoiler
The reason it's confusing is, as I said, that it goes against his establishing character moment in the prologue where GUND was such an intolerable sin that it merited not just the execution of everyone working on it but the establishment of a cultural taboo against it. He wouldn't be the first massive hypocrite among Gundam's villains, but that's usually something reserved for the mask-wearing men in red with sister complexes.

WRT Delling not being a bad dad... we basically just have Miorine's word for it that he's a bad father, and she's proven to be a massively spoiled and incredibly self-centered brat thus far. His interactions with her have been pretty evenhanded, if not a bit cold and distant,.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Ryujin

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:09 pm
Janx wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:17 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
The reason it's confusing is, as I said, that it goes against his establishing character moment in the prologue where GUND was such an intolerable sin that it merited not just the execution of everyone working on it but the establishment of a cultural taboo against it. He wouldn't be the first massive hypocrite among Gundam's villains, but that's usually something reserved for the mask-wearing men in red with sister complexes.

WRT Delling not being a bad dad... we basically just have Miorine's word for it that he's a bad father, and she's proven to be a massively spoiled and incredibly self-centered brat thus far. His interactions with her have been pretty evenhanded, if not a bit cold and distant,.
Going out on a limb again, but perhaps
Spoiler
it’s related to his departed wife & the circumstances of her death; the only thing we’ve been shown of Delling’s personal life is a brief shot of him walking away from her coffin. Possibly a promise given in her final moments to secure Miorine from the vicissitudes of this world and Delling, with a grief that he’s internalized for the last decade or so, continues to go overboard with everything connected to this. Earlier with his Darwinistic dueling nonsense, later on by taking Elnora Samaya as a collaborator on his ‘Quiet Zero’ project.

Going again with the parent-sibling parallels, Miorine’s mother must’ve hit him in the feels like an 18-wheeler semi going at 60. We’ve seen what Miorine’s willing to do when she gets all manic about her groom, what more with a Delling tempered by age & experience with a blank check in hand? I’m probably speculating too much into this, but Miorine may also have been too much of a painful reminder to Delling of his loss & as such had chosen to distance himself from her (not that anyone else would even begin to notice). She would’ve been too young to understand this, and her father’s continued opaqueness & emotional distance over the years would have done nothing to ameliorate their relationship.
Mafty

Spoiler
We have seen this family dynamic issue in Gundam antagonist's before. AGE had Flit Asuno plot to wipe out the Vagan following the death of Yurin, and before that in SEED we saw Patrick Zala walk a similar path after the death of his wife Lenore. So it happening with Delling seems possible, though hopefully in the second cour we get a bit more focus on his backstory and relationship with Miorine, as it hasn't exactly been handled coherently so far.
Ryujin

Ryujin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:24 am It was nice to be somewhere warm enough for just a T-shirt over the past week or so.
In any case, an assortment of thoughts, opinions & observations about the previous two episodes & then some.

About Suletta:
I've come to realize something integral to Suletta: her sense of self-worth is
Spoiler
tied directly to how she thinks she can be a benefit to others. It's something that's intertwined with her personality, something that's been constantly drilled into her from the time she arrived at Mercury, where her family’s acceptance into the local community was, to her, predicated on winning them over by her usefulness as a MS pilot. When we see her doing all sorts of menial tasks--delivering fertilizer, doing errands, she was doing this voluntarily & unhesitatingly, even cheerfully. I doubt that it was Miorine tasking her to serve drinks to Shaddiq & Sabina, it was most likely done on her own volition. It would totally be in character if ‘work at a maid café for the high school festival’ was on her bucket list.

It can be argued that Miorine was taking advantage of this proclivity, but she was ready & willing in any case. Afterwards, Miorine probably had good intentions with regards to getting caretakers for the greenhouse & Elan as a test pilot in order to lighten Suletta's workload, but to Suletta, it was a criticism, that her efforts were subpar, she's not worthy of her duties--which leads to her going overdrive with swabbing the deck, rushing to handle livestock, etc. It's wide open to interpretation of course, but that note of exasperation from Miorine at the livestock bay may as well be her saying, "What the heck, this is beneath you, why does my groom insist on doing this?!?"

It's been noted that, intentional or not, she displays clear signs of Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria in the latest episode--Suletta's basically bullying herself and it's kind of symbolic that she's doing her misery spiral in a toilet stall. In the following confrontation, Miorine realizes what's happening quickly enough & does the right thing afterwards--in hindsight, she's also shown a propensity for reading people, albeit far from Prospera's level--and in the process drops the cantankerous facade that she constantly hides behind to express her own honest feelings. I might expound on that in a later thread, along with other observations about her character development but, suffice to say, her words were explicitly a variation of “Make me miso soup every day.” which elicited quite the reaction from JP viewers.
Parallels between Parent & Progeny:
'The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.' I'm sure that many of you have already noted it, but I may as well put it to writing.
Spoiler
Miorine & Delling can both be described as being pushy and overbearing, with a willingness take bold, decisive action (often impulsively in Mio's case) and damn the consequences. Furthermore, they keep their true emotions hidden behind either a cold or a cantankerous façade. Most of the time though, this can only be discerned through nuances & unassuming visual cues that are easily missed, ignored or discounted. However, both also share a sense of responsibility for said consequences, as can be seen by Miorine hijacking Aerial at the very start and the twisted roundabout way that Delling 'handles' Miorine. Unfortunately, this treatment appears to have warped Miorine a ways, such that she ends up treating every relationship, every exchange, as a transactional one. That is, until Suletta bumbles along with a genuine concern for her well-being & an earnest, selfless slap to somebody's butt.

Both Guel & Vim can be described as being straightforward, impulsive, with an absence of subtlety. The difference though is that Guel’s actions have an earnest quality to them; he is guided by his personal moral compass, while Vim is driven more by ambition & malice, petty or otherwise (and he knows it--no excuses or justifications are needed). We also see flashes of it in Lauda’s temperament, but he generally keeps it hidden under a cool exterior. Perhaps the influence of his mother, the presumed mistress? The fact that his Dilanza is armed with a giant axe, along with being highly ranked by the bookies, speaks volumes.

Segueing a bit, at one point I didn’t really know what to make of Guel’s DV actions towards Miorine in the first episode, since it felt at odds with his evident distaste towards Shaddiq for the treatment of women as betting chattel & his subsequent white-knighting of Suletta. I'm speculating that, asides from Miorine’s continued refusal to accept her situation, the pressure of maintaining his Holder position and living up to his father’s expectation must have been getting to him as well; note how little a provocation it took to spark a duel with Parker Eastcott, who subsequently serves as a convenient avenue for his underlying frustrations. He may have also been feeling emasculated at insinuations that he couldn’t ‘keep a leash on his woman,’ so to speak, not to mention a certain fragility to his self-worth that Secelia effortlessly pounces on. Further on, the need to reconcile his ideals & his love for his father would’ve been eating at him as well, leading eventually to his ultimate decision (taking one step...to the side? lol).
As an aside, Miorine’s constant attempts must’ve given him a nice series of lessons on what NOT to do, and everyone expecting him to leave Asticassia would’ve given him a good head start however he planned & executed it. Should’ve dyed that forelock black, though.

Sarius & Shaddiq are both decidedly cautions & calculating, favoring the use of a third party for their schemes. It can be seen with how Sarius wove Peil & Jeturk into his own plans while keeping himself at a safe distance from possible fallout and, in the process, having to exert virtually zero effort & resources to boot! He may have overextended his hand by bringing his complaint directly to Cathedra, but then again, his opposition to the GUND format appears to be a matter of public record & well within expected behaviour. This caution is reflected in Shaddiq’s fighting style, with how Sabina’s squad did most of the heavy lifting. Even ChuChu’s takedown involved misdirection with the Beam Bracer. It also figured prominently in Shaddiq’s relationship with Miorine with how he saw Guel, again a third party, as basically keeping her safely in reserve for him, but that ultimately led to green tomato on his face. Too little, too late, as is said.

Incidentally, all three had lost their mothers at an early age, and the lack of guidance & tempering from a maternal figure at an early age has clearly had a negative effect on their emotional growth. An oblique Tomino-ism?
Regarding the DoF Desultors,
Spoiler
a long-running Pet peeve of mine is that Gundam, nay, a majority of shows from Japan involving mecha, persists in using the outdated Vic formation, instead of Finger-Four. I presume it’s good for story-driven character dynamics & makes for easier choreography, but it’s frankly a tactically inefficient relic from Imperial Britain & Japan.
On the matter of the Space Assembly League
Spoiler
Miorine didn’t seem to be distressed about Feng Jun's affiliation, which suggests it’s some sort of legal organization, a neutral third party whose members just happen to dabble in the occasional 'victimless' crime. Call it a hunch based on zero evidence but, while not illegal, might it be a group that’s looked down upon by the big corporate groups? Perhaps something akin to a space truckers’ union, an organization that offers a modicum of agency to the blue-collar crowd? For an organization interested in quickly raising its own armed forces to a state of minimum credible defense, I can see the appeal of mobile suits equipped with the GUND format as it would seem to offer a shallower learning curve and shorter training time to achieve a working level of proficiency. A means to quickly obtain & raise viable combat pilots to a standard that’s sufficiently competitive with those of longer-established forces.
On the other hand, it may well be a collection comprised of what modern gamers would refer to as 'indies,' a coalition of small- and medium-scale industries loosely allied together as a measure against the massive AAA groups. Again, similar reasons to obtain Gundam-types.

Incidentally, Feng Jun’s the only character of note with a distinctly oriental name. Well, maybe Norea, her surname suggests a Vietnamese lineage. There’s a noticeable lack of Japanese surnames. Maybe Japan’s economic situation & declining growth rates finally caught up with it (throws shade at Kyoukai Senki). I don't remember anyone or anything referring to Earth specifically as a 'hellhole,' but abandoned infrastructure overgrown with weeds, colorful as they may be, may as well be visual shorthand for 'economic disaster zone.' Too many people fixated on equating 'hellhole' as 'apocalyptic nuclear wasteland' all thanks to pop media, methinks. Even then, places like the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone today serve as a counterpoint to this.
Edit: Completely forgot that Nika has a kanji name.

There have been comparisons elsewhere between Sophie Pulone & Nena Trinity,
Spoiler
but I find it superficial at best. Nena was literally a child running around with a big gun & virtually no adult supervision, but Sophie strikes me more as the stereotypical edgy teenager with a father figure who’s lenient enough to permit her a flashy act or two (besides, it helps with the intimidation—dominating the fittest, most aggressive hostage is pretty much a textbook play)--Bob was never in danger of being shot just for shooting his mouth off—but asides from that, I doubt she’ll endanger missions by disobeying orders. No crossing the line, insomuch as how Naji defines it, anyways. Her subsequent antics also have the feel of a long-running schtick with Norea.
Speaking of which, I’m thinking that Naji may have taken a shining to ‘Bob’ in the course of that exchange, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up on Earth way before everyone else. You blue-collar guys don’t really have it much better than us Earthians, right? Gotta show a bit of solidarity here, them corpos profiting from the fruits of our labor & all that. Also gotta put that Guel Camp experience to good use, yo.
It's certainly not for everyone & can be frustrating to some, but I personally find the murkiness of the plot
Spoiler
just fine--it invites audience involvement, investment & speculation, offering a measure of unpredictability while maintaining some veneer of plausibility & rational story structure (Y NO CATHEDRA WITH GUNS A-BLAZIN', the masses cry. Now they know why). I'm seeing this as the midpoint of the series, the 2nd Act of a traditional 3-Act structure--everything's still in the process of coming together as the co-MCs encounter obstacles whose primary purpose is to drive forward their character development. It remains to be seen if the 2nd cour will be the 3rd Act all the way, but I feel that Kobayashi & Okouchi, (and apparently an enthusiastic staff) will deliver
Spoiler
and that the overall sales numbers & positive reception will hopefully persuade Sunrise to loosen the budget purse strings some more.
Adding to this with a few more things:

Miorine’s short conversation with Nika
Spoiler
implied that Belmeria was project lead with the prosthetic legs. A development time of 2 months wouldn’t be implausible, given free access to the original Vanadis research and the participation of an actual researcher with direct involvement. Insted of starting from scratch, they probably just had to update an existing, 20-year old Vanadis design to modern standards for the proof-of-concept demonstrator, and manufacturing wouldn’t be an issue since facilities would be readily available at Asticassia.

Nika is, no doubt, a very capable engineer herself; as subsequently seen, her encounter with Shaddiq at the incubation party appeared to have been completely unrelated to acquiring the Mirasoul flight unit & more about her role as covert liaison--she really did design & assemble it on native talent & the available school facilities, although their expenses would suggest heavy usage of off-the-shelf parts. None of this is far-fetched—all those DemiTrainers on site probably get banged up a lot on the daily, providing a lot of opportunities for hands-on experience with the mechanic branch. The members of Earth House are also supposed to be skimmed from Earth’s best & brightest, even though some of them don’t look or act like it.
There must have been suspicion
Spoiler
early on regarding the unreliability of Prospera’s data regarding the breakthrough with Aerial, hence the continued interest by Peil in acquiring her. While there would’ve been nothing wrong with the research data pertaining to its use for human-scale prosthetics, data concerning Prospera’s supposed advancements for its use on MS must be heavily doctored or completely falsified, but credible enough at a basic level to act as ‘camouflage,’ as Prospera refers to it. The Peil CEOs must’ve realized it early on, given their own R&D with the Pharact, but their continued assistance in various matters does put Belmeria in a position to thoroughly examine & report on the Aerial herself. She genuinely seems to enjoy her time with G-A, though, which raises the possibility of divided loyalties further down the line, but that’s something for the future. Perhaps the audience is also meant to draw some parallels between Belmeria’s ties to Peil & Nika’s ties to Dawn of Front.
Speaking of which, the passage of
Spoiler
time has been one of the issues that I have with this show. We don’t really have a hard number for how much time had passed up until the team duel. Asides from 2 months having passed after the team duel, and Miorine’s 2-week round trip to the Benerit HQ Front, it has been nebulous for the most part, which also plays havoc with the sense of distance. Take Elan 4, for example. It’s hard to determine if he was shipped off to be grilled, or if Peil made use of a materials testing facility within Asticassia. The show frames it as occurring simultaneously with Suletta on the park bench, but it may have just been a directorial choice for dramatic effect. Similarly, one gets the impression that Belmeria, the Elans & the Pharact were just chilling somewhere deep within the bowels of Asticassia; Elan 4 seems to just casually come & go for his tests & duels, with no evident transit time between Fronts.

The same, as well, for everything that occured during & after Suletta’s incarceration. For the trial, it felt as if most of the attending CEOs had just been idling around the same Lagrange point as Asticassia. The only visible indication that it might have not occurred at Asticassia is Feng Jun's departure with Miorine, but we can only guess if she reversed course, or altered it for another location. Only in the latter half of the cour do we get more sense of significant time passing & a greater awareness of locations beyond the school, with significant transit time to & from Plant Quetta & Benerit HQ. At the least, more establishing shots involving passenger vessels would’ve helped.
Seto Kaiba

Ryujin wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:57 am Going out on a limb again, but perhaps
Spoiler
it’s related to his departed wife & the circumstances of her death; the only thing we’ve been shown of Delling’s personal life is a brief shot of him walking away from her coffin. Possibly a promise given in her final moments to secure Miorine from the vicissitudes of this world and Delling, with a grief that he’s internalized for the last decade or so, continues to go overboard with everything connected to this. Earlier with his Darwinistic dueling nonsense, later on by taking Elnora Samaya as a collaborator on his ‘Quiet Zero’ project.

Going again with the parent-sibling parallels, Miorine’s mother must’ve hit him in the feels like an 18-wheeler semi going at 60. We’ve seen what Miorine’s willing to do when she gets all manic about her groom, what more with a Delling tempered by age & experience with a blank check in hand? I’m probably speculating too much into this, but Miorine may also have been too much of a painful reminder to Delling of his loss & as such had chosen to distance himself from her (not that anyone else would even begin to notice). She would’ve been too young to understand this, and her father’s continued opaqueness & emotional distance over the years would have done nothing to ameliorate their relationship.
All told, I doubt it.
Spoiler
Given what we've seen of Delling in the prologue and the series proper, it strikes me as extremely unlikely that he would be motivated by emotional trauma. Where other parental figures in the series are driven by their emotions and manipulate their children to further their own plans, Delling has always been depicted as unflinchingly rational to the point of being downright unflappable. He doesn't lose his cool or raise his voice in anger, even with Miorine verbally abusing him in public and a furious Wim Jeturk lunging across a table to grab him by the jacket. His poker face is incredible even for an ex-soldier. It's not hard to see why he's man that holds the Benerit Group together when he's that good at making decisions from a position of logic above all else.

He does seem to care about Miorine and looks after her wellbeing in a discreet manner... possibly because of how touchy she is about his involvement in her life, despite her having essentially become blind to the sheer level of privilege she enjoys because of HIS status. He doesn't seem to be at all bothered by having her around either, though he's just as stone-faced giving her the benefit of his experience as THE leading businessman as he is doing literally anything else. It strikes me as more likely that he's a distant parent because he simply doesn't know how to relate to Miorine... either because he just doesn't "get" kids or because his life as a soldier and then a businessman is so regimented that people who don't fall in line just don't compute.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Kuruni

It would be extremely funny if the end of Q1 would make that Getter Armageddon meme accurate. So by Q2 Suletta and Mirione will blame each other for exactly same thing, while Chuchu will be hit with survivor guilt... :mrgreen:

Joke aside, I heard that the previous episodes are School-arc and now the show is moving on to more serious Corporation-arc.

Consider that we saw Kenanji again in the last episode (with far more friendly look), it would be interesting that he end up befriend Suletta, possibly become Ryu of the series.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Janx

Honestly the actual school part of the school arc felt so half-hearted I get the impression the writers didn't care much for it either.

We only had 1 episode that felt remotely like a school, and otherwise it was just a silly duel club that transitioned into new business venture. Instead of using the school setting to inform us more about the AS timeline in a way that makes sense, all that info seems to be during the more corpo-segements, manuals, and a short story. It feels weird we haven't seen Mercury, even if just in the form of a flashback.

I can see why most gundam series make their plot arc about escaping place A and going to point B, it lets you world build as you go along to various places. Whereas G-Witch has been extremely static and small.

While I'm not a fan of school arcs and knew i'd be glad they moved past it either way. I feel like this show didn't care much for them either.
Mafty

I'll admit I thought the school arc was more entertaining than I'd thought it would be, but I agree that they dragged things on a bit too long, maybe if they'd started the climax five episodes earlier, it would have worked better(It sort of like how ZZ took 9 episodes to leave Shangri-La, or the whole run through the space casino arc in The Last Jedi). So hopefully the next cour moves things in a different direction.

Not disguising your signature look is quite common in fiction, despite the obvious issues.
Spoiler
Right now I’m watching Jack Ryan season 3 , where Ryan makes no attempt to cut, dye, or even wash the product out of his hair to avoid detection
. Also in the Gundam verse different hair color’s are the norm, so it’s probably considered unremarkable in universe, like in CCA where Quess changes her surname from Paraya to Air, yet doesn’t change her first name or hair color, showing that both the name Quess and natural Mint Green hair are common in universe.

As for the whole naming thing, Gundam often has a wide variety of names from different languages, names that have been explicitly made up to be different, even Japanese words that aren’t actual names (i.e. Amuro and Kai’s names being references to fighters). It seems like the reasons for this may simply to add a layer of the exotic to their worldbuilding for local audiences(Like how UC Gundam goes on a world tour (settings include future versions of America, The Ukraine, Brazil, Ireland, Australia, Hong Kong, New Guinea, Senegal, Tanzania, Tibet, India, The Czech Republic, Gibraltar, Mexico and Peru amongst others) but largely avoids Japan for the most part.
Janx

Is g-witch only confirmed to be 2 cour or 4?
Seto Kaiba

Even if we're nearing the end of the current "school" story arc and the beginning of a new one, why would anyone assume that the new story arc would be written any less poorly than the current one?

We're nearly a dozen episodes into G-Witch and thus far Okouchi has proven to be either unwilling or simply unable to pen a coherent narrative, never mind a compelling one. What he's delivered so far is eleven episodes of an idiot plot so jumbled and fragmentary that none of the events thus far feel connected. There's no feeling that the actions of the characters have consequences in the story. Things just happen, and when they do the problem and the resolution come out of nowhere with no foreshadowing and the whole affair is forgotten almost immediately. Worse, many of them only happen - and the series itself is only able to proceed - thanks to the characters who are supposed to be some of the most brilliant and resourceful people in space invariably taking the stupidest possible course of action at any given time... often to their own obvious detriment.

If that's how they started, I don't think they're going to get better past the introduction.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Kuruni

I said I won't be surprised if the show get darker and I'm not. But I thought they would at least address some plot threads instead of left them hanging like this AND add some more for time being.

As it turns out...
Spoiler
Aerial didn't really override the Antidote back in her last Duel, the thing just only works up to Score 3 and Aerial activate the Score 6 in that game (the very first MS to does so). Interesting that military Beguir-Pente look identical to the ones used in Duel in contrast to other companies' MS.

Interesting that there is a treaty against using live ammo (only in space?). Also, Sophie call Suletta "Big Sister". We still don't know what exactly going on between Suletta, Aerial, and Elnora (seriously, Suletta's expression after got cheered up by Prospera look natural mostly, but as Miorine points out, she's far too cheerful after make such nice squeezing). I would say I finally agree that Miorine being abusive toward Suletta, but nah, there's something wrong with Suletta there.

Both Guel and Suletta score their first "kill" (unless Suletta and Eri are the same person, which is yet to be confirmed), both are excite at their achievement although Guel suffer mood whiplash soon afterward. Also, both Nika and Suletta going to face consequences for saving other. It's pretty cool the end reflect the first episode too!
And that's it for Q1. By April, Bandai will start releasing gunpla for the actual military MS (no Demi Garrison or Deslutor, however) so it safe to assume that things will just get worse.
Seto Kaiba

It really is a shame this show is from a "Too Big to Fail" franchise... it would've been cancelled by now otherwise. It's not the worst mecha anime I've seen in recent years - it'd have to work VERY hard to dethrone The Price of Smiles for that unenviable title - but it's bad enough that watching it feels like a chore and I have little more than antipathy for most of the cast.
Spoiler
We pick up right where the previous episode left off... in the darkest wilds of "oh god why is anyone watching this?".

Why is this obviously doomed villain talking to someone who clearly cannot hear her? Like, that schtick was played out twenty years ago. Then she just wastes a sh*tload of ammo from what looks to be an ordinary hard round-firing vulkan cannon shooting up the side of C Block to frighten Suletta.
Hey, Jeturk Sr. has some brass ones. He's prepared to go out and fight HIMSELF in a Dilanza.
Spoiler
We see the Desultors from Fold of Dawn shooting up ships in dock, and the Dominicus Corps scrambling their Mobile Suits and troops to rescue Delling.

The shots of the Desultors skimming the surface of Plant Quetta really drives home just how MASSIVE the Fronts are. These are space installations that far outclass the PLANTs or colony cylinders from other titles and probably even dwarf asteroid bases like Cyrano-5. Weird that the Plant Quetta defense forces seem to be using Demis, when Demis until now have been depicted as low-tier training MS's only.

Miorine once again shows with a stuck up b*tch she is by complaining about a rescue she doesn't like when Delling's people arrive and are stunned that she's too stupid to get into a normal suit during an evacuation at a facility in space.

After so many episodes of rather high-tier animation of Mobile Suit duels, actual combat is decidedly lackluster. There's a scene where one of the Lfriths just leisurely circles a Dominicus Corps MS and shoots it in the back at point-blank range without it even reacting. It's only after that that the Dominicus Corps realize it's a Gundam. They use Antidote against it and it's disabled immediately, until the pilot raises the permet score to 4. Seems like kind of an ass-pull, really, that the anti-GUND Format countermeasure only works against lower levels of performance and can simply be brute forced. You'd think they'd go for a level of jamming that'd stop anything a human could reasonably survive using to ensure that a GUND-ARM that's taken down STAYS down. Despite temporarily disabling the Lfrith, the Dominicus Corps don't just SHOOT THE DAMN THING.
Wow, they really are using hard rounds instead of beam weapons. Apparently it's a treaty violation. The animation is so bad in some of these shots that several Demis and other MS's look downright chibi.
Spoiler
Why a major installation like this has a garrison force seemingly barely large enough to form a single side in a football match is beyond me. Planet Quetta seems to be the size of a small moon, and it has only eight or so Mobile Suits for defense?

Suletta's crawling through air vents because she too is too stupid to put on a normal suit. Meanwhile, Delling seems to have been seriously if not fatally injured protecting Miorine from the shrapnel of an explosion
He tries to tell her to get to safety and she refuses.
The mass slaughter of the Plant Quetta staff is supposed to be horrific, but the writing is so bad that all I can really think is that they're dragging this out because this is another shallow crisis that has to stretch for two episodes to fill screen time.
Spoiler
So Nika has just been outed as a terrorist too, since she knew the terrorist group's communications and was able to signal them not to sink the ship she's on.

Again, the brass ones on Wim Jeturk! He's personally taking to the field! He's an ass, but he's immediately more successful than the Plant Quetta defense force and Dominicus Corps and attacks Fold of Dawn's ship directly (not realizing Guel is on it). His attack opens the doors that were keeping the crew prisoner, and allows Guel to steal a Desultor. Sadly, nobody in this story knows how to work a radio so Guel fails to signal he isn't with Fold of Dawn, and ends up having to kill his own father in self-defense.

Prospera and her dogsbody somehow gun down a squad of armed terrorists with minimal effort, saving Suletta from her own idiocy and allowing her to get to the Aerial. She is SUPER cavalier about having just offed four guys in front of her daughter too. She immediately dismisses her daughter's concerns about killing them with that same bland platitude and basically tells her she's going to have to go kill a lot of people now with little to no sense of giving a damn about her feelings.

Why does the anti-beam barrier work on hard rounds too? This basically means the Aerial's running on god mode as long as the GUND Bits work. It can just block ANYTHING.
OK WOAH. Just... f***... hold up.
Spoiler
Suletta went from being upset about her mom killing a bunch of dudes in self-defense with pretty little headshots to slapping humans on foot like mosquitos! She just turned that one Fold of Dawn grunt into a six foot wide smear of tomato sauce by slapping him with the Aerial's hand! Bits of this dude are EVERYWHERE. This is an onscreen death that is worse than most of what was in Iron-Blooded Orphans! She then jumps down into the puddle of what was once a grown-ass man and cheerfully announces "I came to rescue you" while liberally caked in the dude's blood and holding out a hand that is absolutely and literally dripping with blood and pulverized flesh. The guy's severed arm bounces off Miorine's face!
That's DARK. That is... that's... wow. F***. Miorine's going to have some serious PTSD after that. That might legitimately be the darkest, goriest death we've seen up close in Gundam. No pretty pink explosion of a MS's reactor breaching, no collapsing cockpit, no neat impalement that leaves the enemy able to give a five minute soliloquy on the nature of war and suffering, no discretion shot... just a messy splat like stomping on a tomato.
The Macross Mecha Manual
BrentD15

Spoiler
So far, I am very please to see the depiction of child abuse in this anime as a very complex issue, not the one-dimensional portrayal we usually get to see.
The twisted love Delling has for his daughter is very tragic, and that makes his end also very tragic. I can't begin to wonder how Miorine will be affected by this in S2.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Kuruni

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:13 pm That's DARK. That is... that's... wow. F***. Miorine's going to have some serious PTSD after that. That might legitimately be the darkest, goriest death we've seen up close in Gundam. No pretty pink explosion of a MS's reactor breaching, no collapsing cockpit, no neat impalement that leaves the enemy able to give a five minute soliloquy on the nature of war and suffering, no discretion shot... just a messy splat like stomping on a tomato.
Well, at least they surprised you, good or bad :mrgreen: . So I guess that mean it's at least worth to come back for Q2 and see if it will be disastrous trainwreck?
Last edited by Kuruni on Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Janx

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Spoiler
They use Antidote against it and it's disabled immediately, until the pilot raises the permet score to 4. Seems like kind of an ass-pull, really, that the anti-GUND Format countermeasure only works against lower levels of performance and can simply be brute forced. You'd think they'd go for a level of jamming that'd stop anything a human could reasonably survive using to ensure that a GUND-ARM that's taken down STAYS down. Despite temporarily disabling the Lfrith, the Dominicus Corps don't just SHOOT THE DAMN THING.
Its possible what was deemed as 'possible for a human to survive' has been pushed since the technology's invention. Suletta's father also died at Permet 4.

Its also an explanation for why Aerial was able to counter antidote in episode 9.
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:13 pm Wow, they really are using hard rounds instead of beam weapons. Apparently it's a treaty violation.
Spoiler
Why does the anti-beam barrier work on hard rounds too? This basically means the Aerial's running on god mode as long as the GUND Bits work. It can just block ANYTHING.
Sorry for chopping up the post a bit. I actually like the handling of ballistic weapons. 'junk in space' is already becoming an issue today with all the stuff we've shot up there. Having literal bullets (especially giant mecha bullets) circling the globe does sound like a particularly bad idea. Earth still using them feels very fitting.

That said, I don't think Ur or Thorn are using ballistic weapons. They seem to wait to show the Desultors on screen to comment on ballistics. The Ur and Thorn's weapons also fire blue lines similar to other beam weapons, with no shell casings, while the Desultors fire orange/yellow tracers with noticeable shell casings. Thorn's weapon also seems to have different firing modes.

I feel like calling the GUND Bit shield god mode is a bit harsh though. We've seen Aerial get damaged a number of times over the course of the show, and because the GUND bits can't attack AND defend at the same time, some characters have even managed to push Aerial around by simply keeping up the pressure on it. Its also not a technology exclusive to Aerial, as the Darilbalde also had this capability.
BrentD15

Not to mention that this is probably the first time Miorine ever witnesses something this traumatic happen to her, while Suletta is clearly dissonant about it.
Yeah, this season finale hit like a truck. Looking forward to S2.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Dark Duel

Same here.
I actually quite enjoyed the episode overall. I was rather surprised when
Spoiler
Vim Jeturk decided to take a mobile suit out himself, though it was nice that he seemed to be at least a decently skilled pilot. Doesn't make me dislike him any less than I did, but it was still interesting...and then Bob manages to get away and into a mobile suit, only to be attacked by and forced to kill his own father. Character who started out as the Jerid just had a Kamille moment...poor guy just cannot catch a break.
I have to say, the first deployment of the Aerial Rebuild reminded me quite a bit of the first launch of the RX-0 back in Unicorn - albeit perhaps not quite so epic. But watching it in battle against the bootleg Lfriths was quite enjoyable. Continuing the trend already set by its two predecessors, Aerial R in action is a thing of beauty.
Was sort of interesting to hear a little about Miorine's mother - I don't think that's a subject that's been touched on much, if at all so far.

And then there's that post-credits scene, which was just gruesome. I may be misremembering, but I don't think even IBO at its most violent ever got quite that graphic in terms of on-screen depictions of horrendous violence. And Suletta's own reaction afterwards(or lack thereof) made it even more disturbing.

Heck of a way to end the season, and I'm definitely looking forward to what happens in the next cour/season.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."