The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BrentD15

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

I personally would love to see a female central protag MC in a Gundam series, and if Witch from Mercury is the one to do it, so be it.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Kyuzo Aoi

https://en.gundam.info/news/video-music/01_7243.html

New info coming out...

The protagonist as we suspect with the name of Witch of Mercury, is a girl; the first since 0080 and first in a mainline TV series.

The main Gundam's name is Aerial.

Two other Gundams named Gundam Lubris" and "Begilbeu will appear.
I am a Gundam!
Henyo

ALL RIGHT!!! I GOT ME MOI FEMALE MC!!! Now lets see if they'll go the Yuri route. hehehehe

mecha designs are a mix of G Reco and The Double OO. anyone familiar with those series will surely also see the design influences. they said its a full on project on its own but id one goes by design alone, theyd be forgiven for thinking Merucy is another inbetween time of UC to CC..
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Dark Duel

The teaser visual depicts the protagonist of the series and Gundam Aerial, the protagonist’s Mobile Suit.
Oh YES!!! FINALLY, we have a female Gundam pilot as the main protagonist. I was already curious to see this, but now I really can't wait.

As for the mech designs...I'm liking the Gundams. Very reminiscent of G-Reco's designs, but with a bit of 00 and IBO to the aesthetic. As for that other mobile suit...it's weird, but a good weird. Curious to see what these things look like in animation.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

It's neat to see them mixing styles together in mech design. The whole thin skeletal armor frame just looks kind of futuristic. I know nothings been stated yet, but what are everyone's thoughts on timeline? I think it could actually be an AU; maybe the Mercury thing is a Terraformed planet like IBO, or Space Colonies orbiting another planet like Jupiter in Crossbone, or Mars in AGE.

Also speaking of Mech influences , anyone think they look at bit like the designs in AMAIM?
Chris
Administrator

Mafty wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:31 am It's neat to see them mixing styles together in mech design. The whole thin skeletal armor frame just looks kind of futuristic. I know nothings been stated yet, but what are everyone's thoughts on timeline? I think it could actually be an AU; maybe the Mercury thing is a Terraformed planet like IBO, or Space Colonies orbiting another planet like Jupiter in Crossbone, or Mars in AGE.

Also speaking of Mech influences , anyone think they look at bit like the designs in AMAIM?
Unless this series takes place in a universe with super advanced technology, I don't see Mercury being terraformed since it's the closest planet to the sun and thus ridiculously hot and totally inhospitable to humans. As for similarities to AMAIM, Kanetake Ebikawa and Ippei Gyoubu work on that show and have been involved with most recent Gundam series. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them was working on this series too.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mafty

I kinda thought it was unlikely they'd Terraform Mercury, Maybe it would be something like the Jupiter Energy Fleet, wherein there are colonized outpost in space for transport of resources. That being said I have no idea what resources would come from Mercury, and given how close it is to the Sun, even Space Colonies/Resource Asteroids might not happen.
Underrated GM Custom

Designs are interesting, looks a lot like G-Reco with some 00 influence. Looking forward to seeing it when it airs.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Did they say who the mechanical and character artist are?
the ms looked like something Ippei Gyoubu would make. can't make out the character designs though
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
PowerdGNFlag

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:10 pm Did they say who the mechanical and character artist are?
the ms looked like something Ippei Gyoubu would make. can't make out the character designs though
The Gundam design's creators (as well as chara designers) are still up in the air (without an official announcement), but pretty much everyone I've seen online agrees that the Beguir Beu is by Ebikawa.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
tHeWasTeDYouTh

There is a super old book called Red Witch of Mercury by Robert Emmett McDowell........what are the chances sunrise took inspiration for the show?
"Red Witch of Mercury is a story of intrigue, crime and corruption. It’s a solid thriller, through and through. Mercury may be on the brink or civil war. A handful of Earthnoid interests control over half of the resources on the small world, including the lucrative wine trade. There is some resentment among the Mercurian populace, but the Earth government has just granted the Mercurian people a new degree of freedom and self-governance. Though revolution could wreck the advancements the Mercurians have made towards independence, rumors are circulating that the Mercurian Patriot movement may still consider violent insurrection to drive the trusts off once and for all. With the coming of the Festival of Rains, a celebration of the union of the rain god Nemi and his bride the soil which “would make a Roman Orgy look like a Sunday School picnic”, there’s fear that the streets could explode in riots at a moment’s notice.

The tale begins in a piano bar, where the eponymous Red Witch – an organized crime contact posing as a sultry lounge singer – approaches the death-dealing mercenary hitman-for-hire Jaro Moynihan (Mars-Irish, apparently) with a proposition: she represents a group of investors who want to put a hit on the leader of the Mercurian Patriot Movement. Following the trail after the Red Witch’s sudden abduction, Jaro stumbles upon a grand conspiracy to foment civil war by means of assassination and false-flag terrorism to ensure that the wine trusts retain their political hold on the tiny world and the Mercurian Patriot Movement is crushed by a retaliatory Earth space fleet. What follows is an adventure through the rain-drenched alleys of crowded cities to the subterranean tunnels of alien pleasure temples, shoot-outs with gangsters and Venusian hit-men, plus a mob boss and a cruel beauty who stand to profit from the bloodshed.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63875"
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

It's possible, Gundam has put in western literary and mythological references before. AOZ and it's spin off Dream of the Black Rabbit takes some names for Mecha from Watership Down. A character calling himself Grey Stoke appears in the Victory Gundam side story manga, One of the Mobile Suit development companies in Seed is named after three Sci-Fi authors( Clark, Asimov & Heinlein Design Bureaus), The Ars Goetia is referenced numerous times in different series in both Mobile Suit and character names, etc.
SonicSP

Yea, 00 takes a few inspiration from The Foundation novels and some of the later parts from Childhood's End.
JEFFPIATT

I wonder if for the English dub they will get Wendee lee back to voice the lead character. She was Chris in Gundam 0080
Mafty

It's possible. The Japanese version often uses newcomer actors for their main characters. The English dubs seem to use older, more established actors(often ones who have acted in a Gundam dub before).
BrentD15

I am definitely looking forward to this anime.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
PowerdGNFlag

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1535894679203373056

We're expecting news to drop on Friday (17 June) at 14:00 JST.
Dark Duel

Good to know. Gonna be a long week though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

Depending on the time zone and location, some of us will get the news by Friday morning.
PowerdGNFlag

The update is out. (JP Site|EN Site)

Synopsis, staff, characters and a couple new MS seems about right for this kind of update. I guess they didn't include a trailer since the Prologue episode has also been announced to be released on July 14 at the GUNDAM NEXT FUTURE event.