How many units were in the G-Project?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

How many units were in the G-Project?

So how many units were manufactured in the G-Project in Gundam SEED? There are five to start with obviously ( Strike, Duel, Blitz, Aegis, and Buster in January), and three toward the end of the war (Calamity, Forbidden and Raider in June).

However in Stargazer there are other G-Project units that are modified into the Phantom Pain Team (Strike Noir, Verde Buster and Blu Duel). So where did these three units come from? Did the alliance make more of the Gundams During the last war? If so why didn't they add these along with new pilots to the Archangel(pre defection of course)? Were they scavenged as spare parts from the ruins of Heliopolis? Or did they build more units post war for some reason(both sides were obviously building up weaponry post war)?
Seto Kaiba

Re: How many units were in the G-Project?

Mafty wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:53 pm So how many units were manufactured in the G-Project in Gundam SEED? There are five to start with obviously ( Strike, Duel, Blitz, Aegis, and Buster in January), and three toward the end of the war (Calamity, Forbidden and Raider in June).

However in Stargazer there are other G-Project units that are modified into the Phantom Pain Team (Strike Noir, Verde Buster and Blu Duel). So where did these three units come from?
Not counting MSV? Depending on how you want to split it, either just those eight or just the first five.

The G-Project was Morgeonroete's baby, and they developed those first five. The remaining three were developed later using the G-Project data as a starting point by the Azrael Conglomerate, though technically under that same wartime development mandate as the original G-Project.

Stargazer's were developed under a different program, the Actaeon Project, in which the Atlantic Federation engaged the services of Morgenroete's rival Actaeon Industries to developed improved versions of the designs that Morgenroete originally created for use by Phantom Pain.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Thanks, SEED gets a lot of (justified) critsisim for copying the first Gundam, but the "World" in SEED is actually quite well developed in background materiel or side stories(most of which never got translated).
It would have been nice if more of these kind of storylines : Such as the Anaheim style conspiracy in the Acteon Company to steal and repurpose Military Hardware, the numerous side factions and feuding families of ORB in Astray, even the different government bodies that make up the EA (Like the South African Union, United States of South America, Kingdom of Scandinavia, or The Equartoial Union) had been give a chance to be fleshed out more in the main series.
MythSearcher

Mafty wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 am Thanks, SEED gets a lot of (justified) critsisim for copying the first Gundam,
Seriously, people have to get over this.
The interview before the show specifically stated this is a show making Mobile Suit Gundam of the 21st century and basically a reboot/remake of first Gundam, so criticising it to be copying from first Gundam is just moot.
How on Earth do you reboot a series without having a similar story?
Underrated GM Custom

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:45 pm Not counting MSV? Depending on how you want to split it, either just those eight or just the first five.
I have only a passing knowledge of SEED MSV and Astray but I'm always interested to learn more. If you include those series then how many total units are the G-Project?
Mafty wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:50 am even the different government bodies that make up the EA (Like the South African Union, United States of South America, Kingdom of Scandinavia, or The Equartoial Union) had been give a chance to be fleshed out more in the main series.
Those all sound really interesting, it would have been nice to see those explored in the series.
Arsarcana

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:02 pmI have only a passing knowledge of SEED MSV and Astray but I'm always interested to learn more. If you include those series then how many total units are the G-Project?
Uhhhh, let's see, counting the later-developed trio as well I think the end result is 24. Aside from Actaeon Industries you also have the Librarian Works models based on the original G-Project suits (from Vs Astray) which aren't part of the G-Project mandate either but spring directly from it. It's entirely possible I'm forgetting something though, as there's a lot of MSV. Which is why my list has footnotes.

Duel/Blu Duel/Regen Duel
Buster/Verde Buster/Hail Buster
Strike/Strike Noir/Gale Strike*1
Blitz/Nero Blitz/Nebula Blitz*2
Aegis/Rosso Aegis
Calamity/Sword Calamity/Blau Calamity
Forbidden/Forbidden Blue/Forbidden Vortex/Rot Forbidden*3
Raider/Raider Full-Spec/Gelb Raider

*1 There's also the Strike E which is the base version of the Strike Noir sans Noir Striker equipped (and a paintjob closer to the original Strike) which I didn't count, the same as I didn't count MSVs like the Lightning Strike or the IWSP, which is the base Strike with a new Striker Pack.
*2 There's also the Blitz Lily Thevalley Custom which is identical to the original aside from having Variable Phase Shift Armor that I didn't count.
*3 There's also the mass-production Deep Forbidden, but despite the name that's more like a Dagger with Forbidden Blue parts so I didn't count it.
E08

Not including the Actaeon Project Units (Blu Duel, Verde Buster, Strike E, Strike Noir, Nero Blitz, Rosso Aegis, Blau Calamity, Gelb Raider, Rot Forbidden) and those from Librarian Works (Gale Strike, Hail Buster, Regen Duel, Nebula Blitz, Blitz Lily Thevalley Custom) , we will still have Raider Full Spec (which was designed before Raider Gundam), Forbidden Blue and Sword Calamity (which is also noted to have been developed under the "Rebuild 1416 Program".) The Forbidden Vortex seem to have been developed after the events in Seed, not so sure if it was under the G-Project.
Kuruni

I wonder if early Dagger series would also count? From our POV, they aren't Gundam. But in-universr (that Gundam is just unofficial nickname), they're the end result of G-Project.
MythSearcher wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:56 am Seriously, people have to get over this.
The interview before the show specifically stated this is a show making Mobile Suit Gundam of the 21st century and basically a reboot/remake of first Gundam, so criticising it to be copying from first Gundam is just moot.
How on Earth do you reboot a series without having a similar story?
Believe it or not? I've seen the other side of the coin, people who denie that SeeD is reworking of MSG and any similarity is "superficial". I guess that, to them, the war is only framing device and the core of SeeD is KiraXAthrun shipping :p .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mafty

Sorry about that. I really do love SEED , but I also realized that it did share many similarities with First Gundam, at least early on. So I thought that I'd end up annoying people if I didn't note the similarities.
Also it does make a lot of sense that it's a remake/reboot for the 21st Century, and the second part of the series is storyline wise kinda like Zeta Gundam (in that the characters turn against The Federation and a valuable base is Booby Trapped).
The Dagger could count as the end result of the G-Project; a scaled down mass produced version of a powerful Gundam, is still kinda tied to the overall project. In side stories and MSV's it seems that the Alliance turns many of the other G-Project suits into mass produced MS.
Furthermore is there any detail on what the storyline for the movie would have been? A lot of the mechs described above appear in the Spinoff Manga or Stargazer. But I'd heard that the Libaraian Works might have set in motion a bigger conflict to tie into the movie.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:08 am
Believe it or not? I've seen the other side of the coin, people who denie that SeeD is reworking of MSG and any similarity is "superficial". I guess that, to them, the war is only framing device and the core of SeeD is KiraXAthrun shipping :p .
Oh, as a board admin in a Chinese Gundam forum I've seen a lot of these.
These people obviously never watch FG and just argued for argument's sake.
Mafty wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:49 am Sorry about that. I really do love SEED , but I also realized that it did share many similarities with First Gundam, at least early on. So I thought that I'd end up annoying people if I didn't note the similarities.
No, not your fault and I am not blaming you, it is just that the criticism isn't justified because of what I said.
I am just saying people really need to stop saying SEED is bad just because it resembles FG.
In my view, the series turned bad exactly because it strayed away from being a remake in around ep.30-ish(after Kira meeting the blind guy and the orphans, which is the equivalent of Doan's island in FG), after a director's interview where he "admitted" Kira is his own avatar(which is why he keeps crying) and Lacus his wife's, the series got all out of hand and that seems to be why people start using the terms like Jesus Kira, Kira the Emperor or Ki-god(latter 2 are Chinese nick names given) because he became so infallible and invulnerable.(and stops crying all the time, ironically)
SEED-D is yes, very like Zeta in some of the plots, so I think they already have the plans even before they make SEED for it. However, the director and his wife ruined everything, especially when he knew some fans are so obsessed with Kira(which he sees as himself) and projected those on himself even more, thus reinforcing his own god complex.

I am not going to hijack this thread more.
Underrated GM Custom

Arsarcana wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:57 pm Duel/Blu Duel/Regen Duel
Buster/Verde Buster/Hail Buster
Strike/Strike Noir/Gale Strike*1
Blitz/Nero Blitz/Nebula Blitz*2
Aegis/Rosso Aegis
Calamity/Sword Calamity/Blau Calamity
Forbidden/Forbidden Blue/Forbidden Vortex/Rot Forbidden*3
Raider/Raider Full-Spec/Gelb Raider
Oh wow! I'm familiar with the ones from Stargazer and I've seen a kit for Sword Calamity before that I really enjoyed but there's certainly quite a bit I've never heard of before. Are these all featured in the Gundam Seed Manga?
Arsarcana

They're from various spinoffs, yes.

You know the Stargazer trio, the other Actaeon Industries variants (Nero Blitz and Rosso Aegis) come from Delta Astray.

The Librarian Works designs (Regen Duel, Hail Buster, Gale Strike and Nebula Blitz) all come from Vs Astray,

Sword Calamity, Forbidden Blue and Raider Full-Spec come from SEED-MSV.

The Forbidden Vortex actually shows up onscreen in SEED Destiny and is basically the Forbidden Blue with some internal modifications.

Blau Calamity, Rot Forbidden and Gelb Raider are from the Astray R photonovel.
Underrated GM Custom

Arsarcana wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:49 pm They're from various spinoffs, yes.
I really enjoyed the first half of Gundam Seed. I found the concept of 4 specialized Gundams vs 1 multi-role Gundam and an Funnel Fighter to be a fresh and exciting take with the limited battery life adding a great deal of tension to the show. For the 2nd half, as others have noted the directing and writing take a hit and the show for me became less engaging but still had it's fun moments.

Do the spinoffs capture the feel of early Gundam Seed where the piloting feats are impressive but still somewhat grounded? Which ones would you recommend?
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Tue May 25, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mafty

Mostly the main Astray series.A lot of the Astray spinoffs are much lighter than the main continuity. Lowe Guele avoids killing anyone in combat; and the crew of the HOME is a quirky set of characters who explore the CE Setting, and sometimes influence the events of the main series. There are still battles but the stakes are slightly lower than in the main series, and would probably tie in to the more over the top battles of the later series and Destiny. That Being said the Astray Manga series is very entertaining and helps flesh of the world of CE more.

I haven't read all of the spinoffs but many of them focus upon the main characters interacting with the other aces of the CE era(Edward Harrleson, Canard Pars, Jane Houston) as well as MSV units introduced in the story(the numerous Astray units, The Dagger series variations, and of course more Gundams than you can count), and fleshes out more of the settings(Edward is from The United States of South America, Delta Astray focuses on Martian Colonists, etc). As the storyline continues it evens focuses upon a new faction the Librarian Works (whether this was supposed to tie in with the movie or not I’m not sure).
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:13 am I really enjoyed the first half of Gundam Seed. I found the concept of 4 specialized Gundams vs 1 multi-role Gundam and an Funnel Fighter to be a fresh and exciting take with the limited battery life added a great deal of tension to the show. For the 2nd half, as others have noted the directing and writing take a hit and the show for me became less engaging but still had it's fun moments.

Do the spinoff capture the feel of early Gundam Seed where the piloting feats are impressive but still somewhat grounded? Which ones would you recommend?
Only read the Astray and well, nope.
The mangaka is famous for making up stuff and creating his own "Best pilot in the world"(At least "The strongest coordinator", yes, you do not have to be perfect to be strongest, Kira was only perfectly made to spec[spec doesn't have to be the best], Murakumo, ahem, in my sarcastic voice, has all the combat related functions and experience), "Most advanced technology only used on my baby mecha" and "Indestructible material and one off technologies that I happened to pick up from a random drop"
Similar things happen in Wing's spinoff Battle of the Pacifists and the only spinoff challenging Turn A's position: Gundam EXA.
DragoMaster009

...huh, and here I thought original Astray was critic-proof or something. Also, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the subseries as a whole went sideways after the last Strike vs Aegis battle.

Anyway, counting actual Gundams and not remakes/MP models, I also go along with the viewpoint of there only being 8 of them: the 5 from Heliopolis and then the three made near the end of the war.
MythSearcher

DragoMaster009 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 am ...huh, and here I thought original Astray was critic-proof or something. Also, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the subseries as a whole went sideways after the last Strike vs Aegis battle.
Not saying its bad, just saying it is not that kind of semi-realistic military story.
Underrated GM Custom

Mafty wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm There are still battles but the stakes are slightly lower than in the main series, and would probably tie in to the more over the top battles of the later series and Destiny. That Being said the Astray Manga series is very entertaining and helps flesh of the world of CE more.
Just to make sure I understand, is combat in the Astray series more like over-the-top Destiny or more like early SEED? I've always had a soft spot in my heart for SEED so world building alone might be reason enough to read.
MythSearcher wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 pm The mangaka is famous for making up stuff and creating his own "Best pilot in the world"
That's a shame. Kira was a very interesting character not because they were a perfect coordinator but because he had some creative on-the-fly solutions early in the show. Every episode I'd always wonder how he or Mwu La Flaga would pull off a hat trick this time. After the uh, resurrection arc, it became less creative problem solving and more of a god-mode style of combat. Still entertaining but not as endearing.

I'm not opposed to one-off supply drop or unique mecha technology. Lord knows we see enough of that in UC spin offs.
DragoMaster009 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:17 am ...huh, and here I thought original Astray was critic-proof or something. Also, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the subseries as a whole went sideways after the last Strike vs Aegis battle.
Hey it sounds like you look upon the original Astray pretty highly. That's a good recommendation in my book!
DragoMaster009

...whoever said I looked highly upon original Astray, or original Crossbone for that matter?

EDIT:

And now I feel like this is moving further and further away from the original point of this thread, so let's just stop this train of thought here and take it up in another more appropriate thread another day.