The Official Gundam Hathaway Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

Re: The Official Gundam Hathaway Mecha Thread Mk I

It does seem to be an issue with control. For example in CCA Quess is able to use the Funnels of the Jagd Doga to destroy a Dummy Ship in training. Her first battle ends with her suit damaged and half of the Funnels destroyed before any could be used. By the time she upgrades to the α-Azieru she's able to destroy multiple Jeagans and battle the Nu Gundam. Even a Newtype needs training and experience to better use the Funnels; so it makes sense that an advanced form like the Funnel missles would be more rare, plus such advanced tech would be more expensive.
Underrated GM Custom

Sounds like Funnel Missiles require less training or perhaps don't require as strong of a Newtype to use. The downside is resupply and exploding psycommu's which I imagine don't come cheap. I suppose Quacksalva has deep pockets.
Arsarcana wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:15 am Funnel missiles seem to be a bit of an evolutionary dead end, since the only units that mounted them were Xi and Penelope and then the Gastima much later...
I looked up the Gastima and I didn't remember that one at all from G-Reco. I'm guessing that one is near the end of the series with the water colony? I didn't realize the pilot was a Newtype, or maybe Tomino just threw the name funnel missile out there as a reference to previous works.

Could be a bit of both on the dead end. Newtype's are forgotten until F91. The Funnel Missile may have been a proof of concept used on Xi and Penelope but with a shortage of Newtypes there'd be no one to use them (and no customers for Anaheim). I suppose they could do a quasi-psycommu but having every missile be wire-guided may be a burden.
JEFFPIATT

Mafty wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:11 pm So if Funnel Missiles and Beam Rifles are extras, does that mean Funnels themselves also come with replacements? Look at any battle with Funnels against a Gundam, and you'll see they need extras.

Also since Anaheim sells to the highest bidder, what does that mean for the Messer? Was it originally meant to be a Zeon Remnant unit?
by HF the entire Zeon Movement is dead with Char gone and the Princess basically when opening the box renouncing her family's cause and Chars. the profile just lists that they used the "zeonic" line to hide that they made the suits new basically if the EFSF captured one it would look like they took a salvaged Doga and made it look like Hi-zack with parts from the RGM-79A units lying around. the fact that Gundam UC has a Neo zeon hanger deck crew member mention that by the UC 90's zeon and EFSF ms equipment is interchangeable. the grunts Mafey acquired are made to scavenge it's likely that if they had to a gera doga gun would work with it.
DragoMaster009

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised that besides anybody from any version of Zeon who's still alive and too stuck within the EF or similar organizations the only Zeon supporters and leaders left would be geezers like Bakhavor who are too well connected to get thrown out and have plenty of personal power, but very little ability to actually act on giving Zeon one last chance to act (in fact I bet that the forces shown in Narrative were pretty much the reserves of the reserves used for Full Frontal's movement, i.e. the guys left undercover within the Republic of Zeon's forces).
Mafty

It makes sense that eventually Zeon would either die out, or be left with far too few people/resources to actually operate anymore. The Film/Television series work better with this with Zeon dying off by the end of the First UC after several major last stands, rather than the manga which kept them around until the Formula Wars 30 years later , and on Mars no less.

That being said with all the issues in the Earth Federation, it makes sense new groups would rise to oppose them, often with less ties toward the OYW.

Being somewhat more separated from the conflict is probably why Mafty's mechs are a hybrid of Zeon and the EF, ie they still have an all powerful White Gundam as their leader, while the Messers look like advance Geara Doga's.
DragoMaster009

Honestly, I don't think the Earth and Mars branches of Zeon were on speaking terms by the time the former died off and given how new groups like Mafty rose up, everyone probably forgot about the situation on Mars until it was too late.