Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SonicSP

Re: Full Metal Panic (new anime adaptation)

New animated stuff of FMP?? God, my prayers have been answered. May have been prayers from eight years ago but prayers nonetheless.

New version or whatever is still better than nothing. Just hope they keep the same voice actors unlike the retelling of Initial D.
Wellman

I really liked the first season, loved the second season, still have yet to see ALL of the third one. Perfectly fine with them doing another season in either style.
Zeonista

SonicSP wrote:New animated stuff of FMP?? God, my prayers have been answered. May have been prayers from eight years ago but prayers nonetheless.

New version or whatever is still better than nothing. Just hope they keep the same voice actors unlike the retelling of Initial D.
I hear you on that, it made my day. About as happy as Tessa. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcBbVGst5HA
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
SonicSP

http://fullmetal-panic.jp/

Saw the news on ANN that they have a website up though I don't think there's any details yet.

=================

Speaking of which, my best friend of 19 years heard about the new project and asked to me to rewatch the entirety of Full Metal Panic anime with him. This is a guy who doesn't ask to rewatch anything period in the many years that I knew him so it came as quite a pleasant surprise. I myself didn't remember all of the arcs so this was a good time to rewatch it. Hence rewatched it we did.

I think the original series has aged a bit so I don't think I liked it as much as I remembered. The pacing just feels a bit weird and slow on some things. Still enjoyable but a part of me glad Kyoani split the show up later into the comedic side and the serious parts when they took over.

Fumoffu and TSR were a blast and maybe even better than I remembered it. I liked how TSR pumped the seriousness even more, it felt far more dramatic than the serious parts of the first series even.

Speaking from a personal perspective, I'm hoping they continue the story as opposed to doing some sort of reboot. I know that's not exactly the wisest move on a larger basis, but I guess I just feel like continuing the story since the original anime didn't exactly finished and left quite a few open ends.

Still whatever happens, its a new Full Metal Panic anime and I'll be happy regardless. Reminds me a little of Initial D actually which I never thought was going to continue but did in fact finished off the remaining manga parts after quite a few years without a new animated entry (though FMP's absence is longer)
AmuroNT1

To me, a reboot is totally unnecessary because the original anime adaptations were fairly faithful. Other than messing with the order of the comedy stories and changing Gauron's assassin twins from boys to girls, it was pretty much spot-on. So unlike say Fullmetal Alchemist, there's really no reason to go back and do things over.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
balofo

Gonzo animation was garbage
battletech

lol Balofo I love your drive by comments. Just tosses those incendiary one word or sentence comments. So a website? Good good one step closer to this thing happening. I also hope this is a continuance.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

balofo wrote:Gonzo animation was garbage

Seriously? I know I am doing exactly what you want by reacting to such a comment, but are you even trying at this point? I disagree with what you said, but since you just made a blanket statement with no reason or explanation behind it, I have nothing to disagree with you on except that I don't think Gonzo's animation was garbage...so...ummm, yay for discussion?

How do you keep getting away with such comments? When another commenter (whom shall not be named) from a few years back was banned for being, as I think Chris put it, "generally annoying?" It is oddly astounding and boarding on impressive at this point Balofo.

On a different note, and something far more on track, I too am doing a rewatch of this series. I always found the first season a little off, especially since when I first got into it I though FMP was going to be a completely DIFFERENT kind of anime. The moment it got into slice-of-life, high-school hijinks, I was caught completely unprepared by how bizarre the series was...but once I got used to it I was more on-board with the silly nature of the show.

Now that I know what is coming and how the tone of FMP will be, I am able to enjoy the first set of episodes MUCH more than when I first started watching it. I just covered up to episode 8 and although I think TSR and Fumoffu do a much better job a separating the two tones, I think the first season does as good of a job as it possibly can with such tonally different material.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
SonicSP

I don't know how to judge Gonzo's animation personally. It does look bad by today's standards but I can't tell how it would fare in 2001. I do think Fumoffu which was done like three years later and did a much better job though and I think that can be considered to be a similar time period. Can't use TSR since it already went 16:9 and maybe even some HD native too when I watched the Blu-Ray the other day.

But they did get the AS sizes quite wrong in the depiction I think, at least I heard this controversy before and can sort of see it in the rewatch (they're supposed to be around 9-10 meters in the LN but is shown around 18 meters or so in the anime). I think Kyoani may have possibly done the same thing (hard to tell, I'm really really really bad at measuring sizes) but they may have wanted to keep thing consistent within the anime adaptation already done.
AmuroNT1 wrote:To me, a reboot is totally unnecessary because the original anime adaptations were fairly faithful. Other than messing with the order of the comedy stories and changing Gauron's assassin twins from boys to girls, it was pretty much spot-on. So unlike say Fullmetal Alchemist, there's really no reason to go back and do things over.
I think it depends entirely on the target audience. If they're going for the hardcore FMP fans, most of us would go rewatch the old works or remember the story. If they're trying to go for newer audiences, it might be hard to just continue since some knowledge of the plot may be needed.

Although it also depends on how the story moves forward itself. I haven't read the light novels past the TSR section yet nor have I read Sigma beyond the first few chapters ten years ago.
Soma Taozi wrote:On a different note, and something far more on track, I too am doing a rewatch of this series. I always found the first season a little off, especially since when I first got into it I though FMP was going to be a completely DIFFERENT kind of anime. The moment it got into slice-of-life, high-school hijinks, I was caught completely unprepared by how bizarre the series was...but once I got used to it I was more on-board with the silly nature of the show.

Now that I know what is coming and how the tone of FMP will be, I am able to enjoy the first set of episodes MUCH more than when I first started watching it. I just covered up to episode 8 and although I think TSR and Fumoffu do a much better job a separating the two tones, I think the first season does as good of a job as it possibly can with such tonally different material.
Yea, getting into FMP is hard without knowing the tone and concept of the series beforehand. It can drastically affect your enjoyment of the show. Personally I was aware of the tone when I got into it so this was never an issue for me for the most part.
AmuroNT1

The other thing about remaking the first few novels (IOW, the content of the first three anime) would be that it would take time and budget away from the adaptation of the later works; maybe they'd do brief little recaps, but that's it. I'm pretty sure they're just going to get right to the new material.

Heck, since we discussed Dancing Very Merry Christmas a while ago, maybe that's what they could do: weave flashbacks to the past story arcs into that one. They even have some valid excuses, like the John MacLaine wanna-be being the submarine captain who attacked the Dannan back when Gauron hijacked it.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

zetatype

Simply put, FMP just doesn't strike me as a series that could draw in a new fanbase big enough to justify a 50 episode reboot of the series.
AmuroNT1 wrote: Heck, since we discussed Dancing Very Merry Christmas a while ago, maybe that's what they could do: weave flashbacks to the past story arcs into that one. They even have some valid excuses, like the John MacLaine wanna-be being the submarine captain who attacked the Dannan back when Gauron hijacked it.
Given the relativley laid back nature of Dancing Very Merry Christmas that is a possibility. DVMC also shares some not so subtle similarities with the first volume (Fighting Boy Meets Girl) so it would also be a good way to recap the events of the airliner hijacking arc. Though I don't know how they'll recap the events of vol. 2 (One Night Stand). Then again the only mportant thing to come out of that arc was the beginning of the Sosuke, Kanme, Tessa love triangle (if you can call it that). Everything regarding the A1 terrorist organization didn't matter outside of volume 2.
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmuroNT1

Well, not everything about A12 was irrelevant, given that
Spoiler
Amalgam starts throwing mass-produced Behemoths at Mithril.
But if they do like you suggested and flash back to the first "season" during DVMC, they could always weave some flashbacks to Second Raid into the earlier portion of Continuing On My Own, since that was where the seeds of the larger plot really started being sewn.

zetatype

AmuroNT1 wrote:Well, not everything about A12 was irrelevant, given that
Spoiler
Amalgam starts throwing mass-produced Behemoths at Mithril.
Spoiler
True, but I don't really think its necessary to bring up the events of A1 to explain what the Behemoth is. All the show really needs to do is mention that the Behemoths need a lamba driver to prevent themselves from collapsing under their own weight.
zetatype

Well its been a long wait but FMP has been confirmed for fall 2017. The series will be done by Xebec and series creator Shoji Gatoh will be handling the scripts. Still no word on what content will be adapted, but it has been announced that volume 6 (Dancing Very Merry Christmas ) will be getting an audio drama. This has led some people to speculate that the series will skip over volume 6 entirely or push it back and tell it as a flashback like Sigma did.
SonicSP

Good to have this finally confirmed. Glad to see back FMP, and hopefully they can adopt until the end of the light novel story.
Henyo

Re: Full Metal Panic IV

Xebec huh? is it a bit of a stretch to wish for the removal of Chidori's magic skirt? i like my panty shots in mecha every now and then. on that note? why did Chidori gain a magic skirt in Fumoffu and the Second Raid? was it requested by the author? the parents/what have you?

also, were there any panty shots in the mangas?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

It's long past time for a continuing series! That being said, count me in for it. Too bad there will not be a Dancing Very Merry Christmas anime, but I understand the desire to spend $$$ on an anime series that is not "Die Hard on the Love Boat". What can I say, it was an effin' hilarious story, and Tessa had a dojimeido cosplay.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
zetatype

Zeonista wrote:It's long past time for a continuing series! That being said, count me in for it. Too bad there will not be a Dancing Very Merry Christmas anime, but I understand the desire to spend $$$ on an anime series that is not "Die Hard on the Love Boat". What can I say, it was an effin' hilarious story, and Tessa had a dojimeido cosplay.
well nothing is set in stone atm, but yeah it would not suprise me if they skip over the events of vol. 6. Though its still possible it'll be told as a flashback like in the Sigma manga or maybe come out as an OVA. If the plan is to finish the series in 24-26 episodes then skipping over vol.6 is probably for the best.
Zeonista

zetatype wrote:
Zeonista wrote:It's long past time for a continuing series! That being said, count me in for it. Too bad there will not be a Dancing Very Merry Christmas anime, but I understand the desire to spend $$$ on an anime series that is not "Die Hard on the Love Boat". What can I say, it was an effin' hilarious story, and Tessa had a dojimeido cosplay.
well nothing is set in stone atm, but yeah it would not suprise me if they skip over the events of vol. 6. Though its still possible it'll be told as a flashback like in the Sigma manga or maybe come out as an OVA. If the plan is to finish the series in 24-26 episodes then skipping over vol.6 is probably for the best.
Considering how much goes down later on after that when Amalgam takes the gloves off... Yeah, skipping volume 6 will be cost-efficient for a single-season anime of about 24 episodes. If the studio decides to compromise, let them do it well! I would expect a flashback scene or two though, especially as the episode schedule approaches Christmas. ;)

Outlaw

Sweet, I know it's not for everybody but, FMP is one of my faves!
I'm not familiar with its length but, could it be possible that DVMC could be done as a short OVA? Possibly a special edition incentive, or released later as a stand alone if the series proper sells well.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."