JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Soul Bro Ryu

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

It's finally out!

Watched the untranslated first episode and it moves at a brisk pace, and although it neglects to show a significantly horrifying scene (one any dog lover would hate Dio Brando forever for), I've got little to no complaints. The pilot, in particular, covers Volume 1, Chapters 1-5, ending right before the 7 year jump from Dio's first days in the Jostar household. Downton Abbey, this ain't! ^_^

I also had no idea that "Roundabout" from YES would be the ED theme! That was a very nice surprise, and I hope the other saga will have classic tracks, like the very song that inspired the name of the series & protagionist, "Get Back" by the Beatles (which would kick ass but be very expensive to acquire).

A great start and fine adaptation of the first chapters of this long running manga. Can't wait to start doing video reviews for this series!
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Raptor

Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Series One (Anime Series)

Awesome! Haven't seen it yet, but I've been hoping it would live up to the excellent Manga, and it sounds like I won't be disappointed! Thanks Soul Bro!

One thing though, does it have the incredibly weird yet awesome posing?

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Soul Bro Ryu

Raptor wrote:One thing though, does it have the incredibly weird yet awesome posing?
Hell, yes, it does!!! Complete with the crazy onomatopoeia that Araki is known for! I can't wait for the next ep!
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
Raptor

Alright. Now we're talking. Gonna have to watch this now! Not that I wasn't already going to watch it, lol. Just have to wait, since I missed the Live stream...

-Raptor, out,
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Soul Bro Ryu

Raptor wrote:Alright. Now we're talking. Gonna have to watch this now! Not that I wasn't already going to watch it, lol. Just have to wait, since I missed the Live stream...
Wait, what?! Live stream?!
Soul Bro Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, he shouldn't be talking about it :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote:If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, he shouldn't be talking about it :lol:
If that's the case, mum's the word, Raptor. Don't want to invoke the Wrath of the Mods! ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
YazanGable

First episode felt a bit rushed, but I can understand why. First section of Phantom Blood would probably throw newcomers as it's a slow burn compared to the main story. So in trying to cover it all in a single episode, I'd say they handled it fairly well. As far as the Danny scene, while they definitely downplayed it, I'd say they still did as decent a job with it as they could in the time constraint.

Also, loving the ED sequence (both the use of YES and the animation) and looking forward to next week. Hell yes, Speedwagon.

and just on one last note - loving the animation style for this. Yeah. sometimes it seems off, but for the amount of poses and the sound FX kept in, it still works damn well and feels more like the manga than the Stardust Crusaders OVAs did.
Raptor

Nah, in this case, it's actually legit. Davidproduction, who helped animate the first episode, had a livestream of it, and a OVA that was completely unrelated that they were working on. I was planning on watching it then, but had to work late. At least I would assume it's legit, since they helped make it. Either way, I'll refrain from mentioning it again, for safety purposes. :)

Having just finished the episode though, I can say it was AMAZING. You were right, Soul Bro. The posing is still there, and awesome. Dio is every bit the jerk he is in the Manga, and Jonathon is just as happy a guy early on. Cannot wait to see the Ripple, Zeppeli and Speedwagon. Definitely taking top of my watching list.

-Raptor, out.
Destiny_Gundam

If it comes from an official source, you can talk about it. You can even post a link. I thought you were refering to the non-legit live streams that happen.

I also watched the first ep. While it did move at a lightning fast pace it did well to set up the rivalry between Dio and Jojo. I've only ever seen the OVA with Jotaro so I'm looking forward to filling in the blanks of the prior arcs (although I know how this one ends).

Koyasu saying ZA WARUDO is going to be epic (granted they go that far).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Raptor

I've been here long enough to know better than to bring those up. :D

I really hope they do. Would be almost a crime not to make it there. Supposing they do, wonder who they'll choose for Joseph and Jotaro, or if they'll just use the same seiyuu. Makes me almiost wish they would skip ahead. Although, seeing the Ripple will be really nice.

MAN! Just remembered. Stroheim! Cannot wait to see him animated!

-Raptor, out.
YazanGable

Re: Stroheim - Has he been voiced in anything yet? Cause for some reason, I keep having this image in my head of Norio Wakamoto voicing him (in particular when he reveals the power of NAZI SCIEEEENCE)

I realize that probably won't come to pass, but a man can dream.
Raptor

Not to my knowledge. He wasn't in the arcade game, and since the OVA series was about Jotaro, he didn't appear there either. Even most fanworks that I've seen don't have him.

Wonder who they will pick? Wakamoto wouldn't be a bad choice. Though I want Nobuyuki Hiyama to voice someone, preferably Kakyoin, or Narancia if they get that far.

-Raptor, out.
Soul Bro Ryu

My co-host on Fighters Ready, Nick the Stampede & I just posted a video review of the first episode on the ol' YouTubes! I'm hoping to make this a regular occurrence and I hope folks that are watching the show enjoy it!

Review - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Anime TV Series - Ep. 001 - "Dio the Destroyer"
Soul Bro Ryu
YazanGable

Well, with episode 2 I'm now feeling a lot better about the pacing on this show. Now that they're past the prologue, they've slowed things down and it feels like they still covered a decent amount of ground here. The cast are growing on me quite a bit, I'm loving the style the show is using so far, the OP is catchy as Hell...and on top of that, I really do love how they worked the beginning of Roundabout into the episode itself.

With next episode marking Dio's transformation, I look forward to seeing what the show does with it, as well as how Koyasu handles the 'WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'
Amion

I'd never gotten into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but after watching the first two episodes, I am now hooked. :mrgreen:
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Silver_August

like with Gundam Age I went into this completely blind with VERY little going in and... the art style ie so....refreshing and different and over all...me and my sis like it, can't say there was a better anime that makes you HATE the antagonist more then this series, man! over all, I'm having fun, and me and my sis will continue to see where this series goes

Oh! and I will note, maybe going in blind helped but I didn't feel the first episode was rushed at all, if anything I felt the episode had a TON of weight, which I loved.
Amion

Silver_August wrote:like with Gundam Age I went into this completely blind with VERY little going in and... the art style ie so....refreshing and different and over all...me and my sis like it, can't say there was a better anime that makes you HATE the antagonist more then this series, man! over all, I'm having fun, and me and my sis will continue to see where this series goes

Oh! and I will note, maybe going in blind helped but I didn't feel the first episode was rushed at all, if anything I felt the episode had a TON of weight, which I loved.
People who view things blindly, like we did with Jojo, usually enjoy it better, versus someone who, say, has read the novels of a work, like SAO or Unicorn, and thus are comparing the anime to the original work.

But that's okay, for me, so long as I enjoy it.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Raptor

Man that second episode was beast! Actually seeing Dio being accosted in animated form was amazing. Especially how the Jojo Vampires drink blood.

And that op is awesome. Loving that. So much.

Speedwagon was everything I wanted him to be, and now, I'm waiting for Zepelli!

-Raptor, out.
YazanGable

Well, I have to hand it to them. Episode 3 did a pretty damn solid job with the battle at Joestar Manor. Even knowing how it was gonna go down, I was loving the way the show did it. Great job translating both the action and the manga's style. Also, was a bit mixed on Koyasu's 'wryyyy' at first, but I loved how he built it up from a more understated version at the start until he went into the full shrill war cry as the fight intensified. Made for a pretty cool take on it.

About the only downside to this week (if it could be called that) was the lack of the YES ED (what can I say? I love the ED sequence to this show.) But even then, for what they devoted this week's credits to, TOTALLY worth it.

Also, next week marks the arrival of Zeppeli (personal favorite character from Phantom Blood) so I'm stoked.

and on a final note, I have to admit I'm going to be curious what the DVD version of this episode will look like, since watching it I got a really strong sense that a lot of the violence was darkened over purely for the broadcast version and will probably be more...for lack of a better word, graphic on the DVD/BR run.