The Official Kamen Rider Thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Strike Zero

Re: The Official Kamen Rider Thread

Somehow, I highly doubt that Shunpei will ever be anywhere as awesome as Gai. Not unless he one day whips out a morpher and transforms into a silver-colored bandana-wearing polearm-weilding badass.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
DuelGundam2099

I finished Ryuki a few days ago, promising premise, but combined with weird editing and bad pacing issues (oh yes, take out three of the thirteen writers we promised for typical slice of life garbage!), kind of flopped. The final battle was also pretty poor although I will give them credit for not using the titular rider. At least the special and movie made up for it even if the latter had a stupid semi-cliffhanger ending. I am thinking of starting on Wizard, but I'm not certain right now although very soon I will take on Faiz. Speaking of which, is Faiz really as bad as they say it is? Decade made it look like some boring/depressing school drama with a cellphone themed hero in it.
Wellman

DuelGundam2099 wrote:I finished Ryuki a few days ago, promising premise, but combined with weird editing and bad pacing issues (oh yes, take out three of the thirteen writers we promised for typical slice of life garbage!), kind of flopped. The final battle was also pretty poor although I will give them credit for not using the titular rider. At least the special and movie made up for it even if the latter had a stupid semi-cliffhanger ending. I am thinking of starting on Wizard, but I'm not certain right now although very soon I will take on Faiz. Speaking of which, is Faiz really as bad as they say it is? Decade made it look like some boring/depressing school drama with a cellphone themed hero in it.
Actually, Decade went into its own tangent. Granted there is a bunch of drama in Faiz, but honestly it isn't really high school centric. Mostly has a slightly unlikable hero or two and a bunch things that sort of happen.
SpideyWing

Mostly has a slightly unlikable hero or two and a bunch things that sort of happen.
That describes 90% of Decade, to be honest. I kid, I kid; Decade was my first Rider series I watched all the way through, and I still like it a lot; mostly that it gives us a little taste of each of the Heisei Riders' stories.

As for the current series, Wizard...man, that is harder to cement my feelings on. On the one hand, I like Beast a lot and the final arc we're in has been fairly interesting. On the other hand, Haruto runs the gamut for me from a likeable person to a bland and blank (blandk?) slate. On the other other hand, the supporting characters are nice and I like their interactions; I was waiting a Long time for Kizaki to come back into the story, and I was not disappointed with his return. Overall, Wizard has been average for me; not my favorite of the Post-Decade Riders, but a serviceable show.

Also, where is the Mahou Sentai Magiranger / Kamen Rider Wizard crossover I have been waiting for since 2012?
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
Wellman

SpideyWing wrote:
Mostly has a slightly unlikable hero or two and a bunch things that sort of happen.
That describes 90% of Decade, to be honest. I kid, I kid; Decade was my first Rider series I watched all the way through, and I still like it a lot; mostly that it gives us a little taste of each of the Heisei Riders' stories.

As for the current series, Wizard...man, that is harder to cement my feelings on. On the one hand, I like Beast a lot and the final arc we're in has been fairly interesting. On the other hand, Haruto runs the gamut for me from a likeable person to a bland and blank (blandk?) slate. On the other other hand, the supporting characters are nice and I like their interactions; I was waiting a Long time for Kizaki to come back into the story, and I was not disappointed with his return. Overall, Wizard has been average for me; not my favorite of the Post-Decade Riders, but a serviceable show.

Also, where is the Mahou Sentai Magiranger / Kamen Rider Wizard crossover I have been waiting for since 2012?
Yeah, I agree with your take on Wizard... it seems like it will be solid but decidedly average when it comes to the newer generation Kamen Rider shows.
YokozunaBulldozer

So who is up for oranges, bananas, and grapes?
I for one, am curious how Urobuchi will lead the new show given his rep in his previous works.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
SpideyWing

I don't know; I'm going to wait and see on Gaim.

As for Wizard, I have one word:
Spoiler
Fueki![/Shatner]
FieryBlitz

A Kamen Rider thread!? HALLELUJAAAAAAAHHH!!! I'm so glad there's other people who also like Kamen Rider!!

*Ahem*

Aaaanyway, I'm kind of looking forward to what Gaim's gonna have in store for us. Though I have to admit that I absolutely hate the DJ. It's only been three episodes and I've come to despise him the moment he appeared in the first. Okay, that's an exaggeration. My hate for him didn't really begin until he shoved his face into the camera in episode 1.

As for last season, Wizard, well... I liked it. Nothing for me to gush over, but it certainly kept me entertained. Only thing I don't understand is why people seem to hate this show so much.
YokozunaBulldozer

FieryBlitz wrote:A Kamen Rider thread!? HALLELUJAAAAAAAHHH!!! I'm so glad there's other people who also like Kamen Rider!!

*Ahem*

Aaaanyway, I'm kind of looking forward to what Gaim's gonna have in store for us. Though I have to admit that I absolutely hate the DJ. It's only been three episodes and I've come to despise him the moment he appeared in the first. Okay, that's an exaggeration. My hate for him didn't really begin until he shoved his face into the camera in episode 1.

As for last season, Wizard, well... I liked it. Nothing for me to gush over, but it certainly kept me entertained. Only thing I don't understand is why people seem to hate this show so much.
I used to have the same thought about DJ man. But after seeing his Rickson Gracie impersonation he is now one of my favorite comedians.
YokozunaBulldozer

Am I the only one that feels like Bravo (that Durian guy) should be in Jojo's Bizarre Adenture? That is no Kamen Rider, that is a Stand. :P
YokozunaBulldozer

Urobuchi is really doing wonders for Gaim so far. Anyone who is unsure just watch it.
AmuroNT1

This is what I get for not visiting this sub-forum. :P

Seriously, why aren't more people watching Gaim? It's freaking amazing! You'd never think that the insane fruit salad (no pun intended) of concepts would work, but it works VERY well. This second story arc looks to be where the spit hits the fan, especially in this week's episode, where some big stuff happened:
Spoiler
Kouta and Kaito, captured by Yggdrasil, are taken to meet with Ryoma Sengoku, inventor of the Sengoku and Genesis Drivers, who wants their help inventing an even more powerful belt. They're naturally resistant, especially since Yggdrasil killed poor Hase like a dog. But then DJ Sagara shows up and gives Kouta the key to escape as well as a Lemon Energy Lock and the means to use it.

In the meantime, Micchy's sneaking through Yggdrasil's facility has shown him that Team Gaim's leader Yuya turned into an Invase and got killed by Kouta in the first episode. At the moment it looks like he's doing his best to keep Kouta from finding out. However, the episode ends with him cornered by the Kurokage Troopers, and Takatora (watching on the internal security cameras) is fully aware that his brother is Ryugen.
And of course, that's just for Gaim. If anyone cares enough I'll give my opinions on the other Rider series I've seen so far.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
yazi88

Like AmuroNT1 above I also feel like a big idiot for not checking the general discussion section and finding out that there is a Kamen Rider Thread!

Thanks to the Extreme Vs session at the end of November, AmuroNT1 and some others convinced me to start Kamen Rider. I started with the 1st episode of W because of everyone's recommendations but then decided to watch things in production order for the Heisei Era (I'll start Showa in the future cause they are tied together for the most part). I started with Kuuga and am now past the middle of Den-O, Rider movies included too. I also watched the movies in the manner they should be watched, either after the show, or between the corresponding episodes.

Here are my thoughts:

Kuuga: enjoyed it a lot because it wasn't over the top and the police drama/mystery kept things interesting and tension filled the atmosphere of the show often, plus the main character was pretty cool although not very developed throughout the show.

Agito: started out interesting but kind of went downhill during the last 10 episodes and the whole politics thing and everyone becoming Agito got confusing and rushed too. I enjoyed G-3's character and Gills Agito quite a bit but the main character not so much.

Ryuki: interesting premise and most the characters stood out with their differing personalities and ambitions, the main character Ryuki was a good source of comic relief and this show did have a quite a few dark themes especially with the impact filled deaths of most of the Riders. Although I never really understood why the mirror world existed or why it was even made in the 1st place. This show is like Fate/Stay Night version of Kamen Rider.

Faiz: the enemies stood out and I felt that Kiba was probably the only primary character that wasn't a scumbag like most of the riders even at the end, it also didn't help that the rider belts were pass along far too easily it and had many many users. This is probably one of the darker Rider shows of the franchise.

Blade: was pretty good throughout and the focus on the characters was a nice change of pace and all of the riders were pretty likeable even Mutsuki who everyone seems to hate but I found him to be a bit annoying when he was possessed. The enemy cards had a lot of variety within them. Both endings of the show and movie were still pretty good overall.

Hibiki: now I believe this is the black sheep of Kamen Rider at least from what I've seen so far, the premise and character focus on the school kid dealing with his life and the Oni was very refreshing... until around episode 30ish where the production changed and the show kind of went downwards especially within the last couple of episodes, down to the ending. Still I enjoyed the slice of life aspects very much and Hibiki is awesome!

Kabuto: the designs of the riders were pretty good but most of the characters except Kagami and Kamishiro were douches, Tendou is pretty much a narcissistic pretentious jerk, Kageyama a loser villian for the most part, and Yagayama just weird goth at times. The story got convoluted in the middle too with the whole time travel thing. The comedy was pretty good though albeit a bit out of place at times. I also have a question: who was the Hyper Kabuto that first showed up before Tendou got the attachment?

Den-O: I'm enjoying the show so far and the comedy is pretty good and the light hearted feel of the show makes it fun. The main heroine is pretty kick ass too until unfortunately she gets replaced with a kid version of herself. The whole VA thing of the good Imagins is also pretty awesome.

I am very much looking forward to W (past the 1st episode anyways) from which I've heard universal praises about.

Is it also a running gag that most of the episode 30 of the shows is comedy filled in Heisei Kamen Rider? I've noticed the trend starting with Ryuki.

And Amuro I am interested in your thoughts on the shows so far!
SpideyWing

Okay, we're a little over a dozen episodes into Gaim; I think I can give a decently-informed opinion on what I think of it so far. My opinion of it is that...well, I find it interesting. There's a lot more to consider than, say, Wizard had at this time, but I do have to admit I kind of miss the sense of fun that Double, OOO, Fourze, and Wizard had. However, that does not mean that I am enjoying this show any less; I liken it to TNG and DS9; I like TNG for its sense of adventure and good characters, and DS9 for its (overall) very tight story.

I am considering getting Figuarts Gaim (Orange Arms) when he comes out, though; I do like the interplay between the blue and the orange. >_>
AmuroNT1 wrote:If anyone cares enough I'll give my opinions on the other Rider series I've seen so far.
I would; what series have you seen so far?
AmuroNT1

yazi88 wrote:Hibiki: now I believe this is the black sheep of Kamen Rider at least from what I've seen so far
Actually, Hibiki is far from the "black sheep" of the franchise. It's quite well-loved specifically because of the reasons you mentioned, like the emphasis on character development. However, what makes it infamous is the executive meddling that plagued the final 1/3 of the show (about the point where they changed the opening theme song). In fact...
Spoiler
It was commented on production blogs at the time of filming that the last episode was changed repeatedly IN THE MIDDLE OF FILMING. Reportedly the original plan was that Asumu would indeed become an Oni, but a last-second change killed that idea, and his Oni costume was scrapped in order to make Kyosuke Kiriya's look better. Hibiki's actor Shigeki Hosokawa blogged about how unprofessional the whole affair was, and said that he'd only return to play the character in the future if someone competent were in charge...the fact that he has yet to cameo in any of the numerous reunions may speak volumes...
As for my own personal thoughts...

-Blade: I only got partway through this one, due to real life interference (was watching it with my girlfriend shortly before we broke up). We got up to the introduction of Leangle, but I enjoyed what I saw. I'm told the pace picks up a good bit from that point on.

-Kabuto: ...I've gotta be honest, I dropped this one after like 10 episodes because Tendou got on my nerves way too much. I really don't understand why people gush over how awesome he is when he comes off as the most blatant God Mode Sue stereotype I've seen in ages. A friend has advised me to treat the show as if Kagami were the star, and I may do that when I give it another shot.

-Den-O: The first KR series I actually watched, this one kind of has a special place in my heart. I loved the entire cast, and the comedy bits were great. However, this is where I got introduced to one of the big problems that plagues the late Heisei era: poorly-defined villains. Plus, I kinda feel like the show's heart and soul was Takeru Satoh; when he left after the third movie, it just kinda turned into a franchise zombie. Not to say that I have anything at all against Dori Sakurada, mind.

-Kiva: I know this one gets a lot of hate, but I still enjoyed it. A lot of the flak seems to come from people who don't think Wataru is the "right" kind of Rider protag, but I think it worked given the setting. Though I will say, I really wish the show spent its "creative currency" better; we're told there are 13 Demon Races, and only about half of them ever show up? Also, Supernova is a freaking glorious song.

-Decade: This is another one I enjoyed quite a bit. I always found it hilarious that the people who bash Tsukasa for being a dick are the same ones who worship Tendou for the same reason, and yet Tsukasa shows a nice side a lot more quickly than Tendou. I never really felt that New!Kuuga was an insult to the original the way so many others did. Though the show DEFINITELY could have used at least one more episode per arc, and it's unfortunate that the Faiz arc was subsumed by Kaitou's introduction.

-Double: What can I say that nobody else has? Double brings its elements together just about perfectly, with a strong cast of heroes AND villains, nice atmosphere, great Rider and monster designs, excellent fight choreography, and a wonderful jazzy soundtrack. I recommend this one even to friends of mine who aren't into Toku.

-OOO: While I enjoyed OOO, I'd probably rank it pretty low amongst the Neo-Heisei era personally. There were a few bits that bugged me, like how they'd introduce a plot point and then immediately resolve it, rendering it completely pointless. Also, I think the villains were kinda weak (except for the final boss, who got a lot more character development). But for the most part the cast was fun and the OOO suit, which initially put me off, ended up growing on me.

-Fourze: I. FREAKING. LOVE. FOURZE. It's another show like Double that gets most of its elements right, but used a different format (namely, the high school superhero). Probably the biggest draw of the show is Gentaro himself, whose enthusiasm and charm were infectious and made the show go from merely great to amazing; Souta Fukushi deserves all the credit in the world. Shuhei Naruse's soundtrack was great, Kia Asamiya's monsters were great, I loved the entire cast...what else can I add?

-Wizard: Wizard occupies a spot in my list kind of reminiscent of Kiva. It's a very stylish show with great monster and Rider designs, but the plot relied on the unconnected Monsters of the Week for way too long. I like Haruto (he kinda reminds me of Harry Dresden) and never really got the accusation that Shunya Shiraishi was bad at emoting. The villains were a little too background, and the reveal of the Big Bad was pretty obvious from the start. Not a bad series, but a little deficient.

-Gaim: Of course we're only partway through, but I'm really enjoying Gaim. Here we have a show that's done an excellent job of world-building, as well as establishing a large and interesting cast of characters. The decision to revert to single episodes rather than Monster-of-the-Fortnight we'd seen since Den-O works, since there's no drop in continuity as a result. The idea of fruit-themed armor may sound silly at first, but after a while you stop noticing and just accept it. Overall Gaim looks like it's going for a somewhat old-school aesthetic like Kuuga, and it's doing it very well.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
YokozunaBulldozer

Anybody watch episode 16 of Gaim yet?
Wellman

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Anybody watch episode 16 of Gaim yet?
So, I pretty much bailed on Wizard in the last dozen episodes. It was just too hard to watch in how mediocre the story and characters were.

Had watched a episode of Gaim until yesterday morning while I was babysitting my nephew.

I burned through 16 episodes in 24 hours. I am pretty sure I'm in love. Excellent writing, probably the best in years, all the characters are likeable to some degree expect Armored Rider Gridon and instead of half a season on learning moral life lessons with short monster of the two weeks arc they are jumping right into the story. Also the action scenes are the best I've seen since the early days of the Heisei shows.

Granted the show should still have some time to go but if it keeps this up, Kuuga my all time favorite maybe dethroned from its spot.
YokozunaBulldozer

Wellman wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Anybody watch episode 16 of Gaim yet?
So, I pretty much bailed on Wizard in the last dozen episodes. It was just too hard to watch in how mediocre the story and characters were.

Had watched a episode of Gaim until yesterday morning while I was babysitting my nephew.

I burned through 16 episodes in 24 hours. I am pretty sure I'm in love. Excellent writing, probably the best in years, all the characters are likeable to some degree expect Armored Rider Gridon and instead of half a season on learning moral life lessons with short monster of the two weeks arc they are jumping right into the story. Also the action scenes are the best I've seen since the early days of the Heisei shows.

Granted the show should still have some time to go but if it keeps this up, Kuuga my all time favorite maybe dethroned from its spot.
Contemplating dethroning Unidentified Lifeform #4 already means you have dethroned him. Welcome to the club. :D
yazi88

Wellman wrote: Granted the show should still have some time to go but if it keeps this up, Kuuga my all time favorite maybe dethroned from its spot.
I feel the same, I love KUUGA but this is really good and its only HALFWAY done!
YokozunaBulldozer

yazi88 wrote:
Wellman wrote: Granted the show should still have some time to go but if it keeps this up, Kuuga my all time favorite maybe dethroned from its spot.
I feel the same, I love KUUGA but this is really good and its only HALFWAY done!
That Helheim fruit in the show is a figurative representation of the Show.