The Official Kamen Rider Thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
AmuroNT1

Re: The Official Kamen Rider Thread

Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
YokozunaBulldozer

AmuroNT1 wrote:http://comicsalliance.com/kamen-rider-g ... wame-city/

My mind, it is full of WTFs.
....WHAT?! *GASPING FOR AIR
WHATTHE....! WHA....!!!!!....WHAT?!
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
SpideyWing

So, without spoiling anything about this week's Gaim...does anyone else remember when the show was about a big dork who tried to use his superpowers to make deliveries and rode his motorcycle off a cliff, complete with Looney Tunes effects? Anyone?
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!
Wellman

SpideyWing wrote:So, without spoiling anything about this week's Gaim...does anyone else remember when the show was about a big dork who tried to use his superpowers to make deliveries and rode his motorcycle off a cliff, complete with Looney Tunes effects? Anyone?
I remember now, but after EVERYTHING in this show it is hard to reconcile those early days and the Dance team/monster fighting that painted those early episodes.

I might be jumping the gun but unless the ending is horrific trash, I think I can safely call Gaim my favorite Heisei Kamen Rider series at this point.
Spoiler
I was certain Kaito in his new Overlord form had just killed Ryoma with that punch that embedded him in the wall, but I guess Ryoma's suicide keeps Kaito's hands clean in case he comes around at the end. Damn that was the most satisfying transformation and subsequent beat down since the debut of King form in Kamen Rider Blade.
Henyo

oh yes. a Kamen Rider thread. i prefer this Toku Series over Super Sentai right now.

seeing as others have posted what series they've seen. i decided to post what series have been shown in my home country.

Kamen Rider- i was too young to remember watching this. so no comment.

Kamen Rider BLACK - this is the most popular Kamen Rider in the Philippines. no questions asked. ask anyone born during the 90s and they will say Robert Akizuki(Minami Kotaro's tagalog dub name.) is the best. they even think that he's the very first Kamen Rider. i myself have watched this two times already. one thing that stuck in each Rider show to be aired after this is that Henshin is changed to "Rider Change"

Kamen Rider Ryuuki - the first of the Heisei riders to be shown here. it was also popular.(mostly because it was the first tokusatsu to be aired in the 2000s.) i like it the designs and story. even if it was years after watching it that i learned about the complete story.

Kamen Rider Faiz- a personal favorite. nice Rider and monster designs. i liked it even more after watching Paradise Lost. Peter Ho is kinda memetic for our little group.

Kamen Rider Blade - another one i liked. mostly due to to the playing card motifs and Card Captor mechanics.

Kamen Rider Hibiki - Hibiki uses Philippine Martial arts! joking aside though, this is an average series for me. i do like the music weapons.(i really like these kind of weapons.) and the 1st opening too.
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight- didn't get to watch this well.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
AmuroNT1

So, Gaim has officially ended. Yes, there's an epilogue episode next week, but the real climax of the plot was this week.

Without getting into spoilers, I can say that overall, Gaim is currently battling Double for the spot as my favorite Rider show. Both shows were well-written, with excellent characters (both from a writing and acting standpoint), had great memorable Rider and Monster designs, and were a lot of fun to watch. Double was overall more "fun" simply because it didn't go to the dark places Gaim did, but that isn't in and of itself a bad thing since Gaim was more thought-provoking.

But overall I probably wouldn't recommend Gaim as an introduction to the Kamen Rider franchise simply because I feel like its tone is still different enough from the other shows that it might give a false impression - imagine showing someone Gaim, then a lighter-hearted show like Den-O or Fourze.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
EZero8

Mostly finished with marathoning Gaim and I can't say I liked it very much. Sparing the details because I don't want to come off as nitpicky, my problems with it basically boils down to how much I hated most of the main cast and didn't care for the attempt to rehash Ryuki's basic premise. The latter isn't necessarily a bad thing per say, but the execution just wasn't there in my opinion.

The fruit-themed Rider system was certainly fun though. Kachidoki Arms is right up there with FangJoker as my favorite suit in the Post-Decade period. It was also nice to see Tomohisa Yuge return to the franchise, even if the Bandou character is nowhere near as badass as Gorou or Mishima.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Wellman

Just finished binge watching the last handful of episodes. Gaim is officially my personal favorite Kamen Rider series.

I do get where EZero8 is coming from there is a strong amount of Ryuki in Gaim in Gaim's premise and tone but overall I found it better then Ryuki. The last episode seemed sort of tacked on but everything else, the plot, the characters and everything else made for a great and enjoyable ride that edges out my previous favorites like Kuuga and Double.

Hoping Drive is a worthy successor like OOO was to Double.
SpideyWing

So...Gaim. Gaim, Gaim, Gaim...I am torn a little. On one hand, it's good; really good. The end fight of Gaim 46 is one of the best fight scenes in Rider I've seen since the Rider War, and that's just one off the top of my head. The characters, though; that's the other hand. I love a lot of the development that everyone of the 4 main Armored Riders (plus Gridornac) got.

However; the final arc's treatment of the major women in the main / supporting cast is hard for me to take; Mai being fought over like an object and the suddenness of what happened to Yoko, coupled with her lack of real development annoy me. Especially Yoko, because I felt that Mr. Urobutchi was writing her pretty well until the final few episodes; yes, she didn't get development, but her interactions with the cast were well-done, and I liked the way her actress portrayed her. It bothers me that Yoko as a character could have been something truly incredible; instead, we got a good character that went off the rails in her last two episodes.

All that said, I still like Gaim; I feel its pluses outweigh its minuses.

Drive; actually, a nice first episode. I like Shinnosuke, (kind of a spiritual successor to Ichijou mixed with some Shotaro) and watching Kiriko was a lot of fun. Drive's suit...I like; a lot. It's like if you took a KR suit, a model car, and a Galaxy-class starship model and tossed it into a blender. So, I think I'll keep watching Drive; everything looks like a good setup for a good season, unless there is a major misstep along the way; and I'm talking "not-airing-the-finale-until-Movie-Wars" kind of misstep.
YokozunaBulldozer

SpideyWing wrote: Drive; actually, a nice first episode. I like Shinnosuke, (kind of a spiritual successor to Ichijou mixed with some Shotaro) and watching Kiriko was a lot of fun. Drive's suit...I like; a lot. It's like if you took a KR suit, a model car, and a Galaxy-class starship model and tossed it into a blender. So, I think I'll keep watching Drive; everything looks like a good setup for a good season, unless there is a major misstep along the way; and I'm talking "not-airing-the-finale-until-Movie-Wars" kind of misstep.
His pinball kick is orgasmic.
Henyo

SpideyWing wrote:
However; the final arc's treatment of the major women in the main / supporting cast is hard for me to take; Mai being fought over like an object and the suddenness of what happened to Yoko, coupled with her lack of real development annoy me. Especially Yoko, because I felt that Mr. Urobutchi was writing her pretty well until the final few episodes; yes, she didn't get development, but her interactions with the cast were well-done, and I liked the way her actress portrayed her. It bothers me that Yoko as a character could have been something truly incredible; instead, we got a good character that went off the rails in her last two episodes.
that sounds familiar...oh right! the same thing happened to Sakura Kyouko of Madoka.(at least going by the ANN review of Madoka's second half.)

moving on from that, i liked the first episode of Drive. the sounds of the cars though are kinda annoying. it reminds me of biker gangs horns(you know, those from 80s anime.)

dunno if it was intentional or not but there are three attacks that reference other series. i'll just post the referenced attacks: G-on Blue' go-on Drift, the Hokuta Hyakuretsu ken and Spidey's Maximum Spider.(or the UMVC3 version of strider's ragnarok Hyper.)
SpideyWing

Start your Engine! And Ride the Kamen Driver! ...Wait.

So, it's been about the same amount of time between the start of Drive and now that I have Gaim last year, and I think I have a fairly reasoned early opinion on it. In short: I like it, but it feels much more like Double or OOO as compared to Gaim.

But wait, I hear you opine from your 1/1 perfect recreations of the Build Strike, isn't that what they advertised Drive as? Something completely different than Gaim? And you're right, they did; and it isn't bad. Drive feels like a fusion of what worked before, and some interesting ideas tossed into the mix.

The characters are a bit more of a mixed bag for me; I really like Kiriko, Mr. Belt III, and Shinousuke; Rinna is okay, starting to grow on me a bit, but the rest of the support cast is just kind of...there right now. I hope this will improve over time, though. On the Roidmude side; I like Chase, and Heart / Brain seem the typical evil types.

The story...is kind of there right now. It's still a little early, but I'm worrying the writers are starting to slip back into the two episode mini-arcs again. I like the detective aspect; the audience learning along with the cast just how the perps are committing their crimes makes for an enjoyable viewing experience.

My favorite parts? The suit designs. The Roidmudes look fantastic, with even the silliest ones coming off as still threatening. Mashin Chaser...looks fantastic. But the best looking suit for me is Drive Type Speed; the swept back spoiler on the helmet reminds me so much of the Enterprise-D's warp nacelles, I got into the helmet fast. The rest of Speed is a good and solid Rider design, but the helmet is the best part.

So, that's Drive for me at present; maybe a little less than Gaim as of the same point last year, but they are clearly not trying to re-hash that show, branching off into their own thing. I just hope they can avoid the potholes that Gaim hit, and give us all a nice Drive.
GX9900-Gundam-X

So far I am liking Drive Shinnosuke is a nice lead not dumb not overwhelmingly smart he has a few well placed flaws his air of expirence really contrasts him to the naive rookie we got with Kouta so I am really liking Drive as a secondary Rider the energetic Gou gives a neat contrast to the more laid back Shinnosuke its a wild ride and i am having fun
so far in order from what i have seen my favorite series have to be
1.Gaim/ Hibiki (until the ending)
2. Kuuga OOO
3.W
4. Black/Rx
5.Ryuki
6. Agito
7.Wizard
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
YokozunaBulldozer

After his first few intro eps I was a little worried but after Mach barged in it is back on track to being a fun show.
Henyo

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:After his first few intro eps I was a little worried but after Mach barged in it is back on track to being a fun show.
agreed. he literally barged in on Shin-chan's(waiting for that anime crossover with Crayon Shin-chan XD) deduction time. him swatting away Shin-chan's photos was hilarious.

i like white riders in general but mach loses point thanks to his helmet design.
lajosur

the first Kamen Rider series I ever saw was Kabuto, and since then I've been a big fan of the franchise, though not necessarily of every show, namely most of the Showa era shows. To date, the series I've watched through to completion are Kabuto, Ryuki, and Fourze.
VR7

There are some major new Kamen Rider projects, I'm surprised they haven't been brought up.
  • Kamen Rider Black Sun, a reimagining of Kamen Rider Black, will be available on Amazon Prime worldwide today (October 28th). I think the United States has access to it already, I don't yet.
  • Shin Kamen Rider (no relation to Shin Kamen Rider: Prologue) is a reimagining of Takeshi Hongo's and Hayato Ichimonji's stories as the original Kamen Riders directed by Hideaki Anno, the guy who directed Shin Godzilla and, of course, Evangelion. Shin Kamen Rider is set to premiere in theaters in March of 2023.
I'm super excited about Black Sun, I've been a fan of the darker tokusatsu stuff like GARO and Kamen Rider Amazons.
-noel
reypirine

I myself haven't seen all of W, but I have really enjoyed what I've seen. I guess I would agree that the plot itself isn't terribly interesting, but Shotaro and Phillip are fun characters and I love the hard(o)-boiled(o) detective motif. If neither of those things did anything for you, I could understand not being enthralled by the rest of the show. panoramacharter.ltd

D_I

where the hell can i find an affordable decadriver? i wanna customize one but its so expensive.
I'm besties with a DS Lite
Ryujin

New trailer for Shin Kamen Rider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwo4fFji8rc

Could that be
Spoiler
Robot Detective at 0:16 & Kikaider at 0:45?