Stanley Cup '07

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Blue Comet

Stanley Cup '07

Well tommorow is the first day of the 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs and since I had such a good time with last years discussion topic, I thought that I would kickoff this year's thread at the start of the playoffs rather than mid-way through it.

Any thoughts or questions you have about this year's Playoff teams whether it be about series match-ups, player/team statistics, great season/future playoff memorable moments or anything else hockey you wish to discuss, this is the place to discuss it.

EDIT: I will keep updating this post as often as I can to show who is leading/has won the series. Please keep checking when this post was last edited if you are unsure of how current they are. Series standings shown in orange are over with a decided winner.

Here are this years opening series match-ups:

EASTERN

Buffalo Sabres [1]
New York Islanders [8] - Sabres win series 4-1

New Jersey Devils [2]
Tampa Bay Lightning [7] - Devils win series 4-2

Atlanta Thrashers [3]
New York Rangers [6] - Rangers win series 4-0

Ottawa Senators [4]
Pittsburgh Penguins [5] - Senators win series 4-1

WESTERN

Detroit Red Wings [1]
Calgary Flames [8] - Red Wings win series 4-2

Anaheim Ducks [2]
Minnesota Wild [7] - Ducks win series 4-1

Vancouver Canucks [3]
Dallas Stars [6] - Canucks win series 4-3

Nashville Predators [4]
San Jose Sharks [5] - Sharks win series 4-1

Round 2 matchups:

EASTERN QUARTER FINALS

Buffalo Sabres [1]
New York Rangers [6] - Sabres win series 4-2

New Jersey Devils [2]
Ottawa Senators [4] - Senators win series 4-1

WESTERN QUARTER FINALS

Detroit Red Wings [1]
San Jose Sharks [5] - Red Wings win series 4-2

Anaheim Ducks [2]
Vancouver Canucks [3] - Ducks win series 4-1

Round 3 match-ups:

EASTERN SEMI-FINALS

Buffalo Sabres [1]
Ottawa Senators [4] - Senators lead series 2-0

WESTERN SEMI-FINALS

Detroit Red Wings [1]
Anaheim Ducks [2] - Series tied 1-1

Round 3! Getting closer to the end!
Last edited by Blue Comet on Mon May 14, 2007 11:03 am, edited 17 times in total.
Draco Starcloud

I'll be in Anaheim on Wednesday cheering the Ducks on.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
EZero8

Go Sharks! Even if I dont watch hockey, you can be sure that they'd be my favorite. :P
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Wingnut

Well it goes without saying who I am cheering for. Injuries are a bit of a problem right now, but hopefully we can last long enough to get some of that back in the lineup.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Wedge14

My leafs are out golfing right now...So i'm done with hockey this season. I'll be watching the cup for sure!! Rooting for a Canadian team to take the win!!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Blue Comet

Wedge14 wrote:My leafs are out golfing right now...So i'm done with hockey this season.
And they were SO CLOSE too! :evil:

Too bad they had to rely so heavily on New Jersey to win their last season game to get a playoff spot.

Ah well, gotta put it behind me... 8)
Wedge14

Blue Comet wrote: And they were SO CLOSE too! :evil:
I cried that night, I cursed new jersey that night i cursed their dang hearts i did.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Fritz Ashlyn

...I'm a Devils fan. I'll sit quietly in the corner now.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Blue Comet

Fritz Ashlyn wrote:...I'm a Devils fan. I'll sit quietly in the corner now.
He'll be okay Fritz, we fans of our Canadian teams tend to get a little heated when they have a rough time making the playoffs, but we cool down fairly fast come playoff time. So come into the light my friend, we won't bite. (Though for your safety Fritz, I'd stay away from Wedge for now for fear of an unexpected eye gouging :P ).

But enough about the past, let's take a look at right now. Even if your team didn't make it, there are still some great match-ups here that are just too good to pass up.

I'm particularily interested in seeing how well Pittsburgh does this year. They have some great, young talent on that team namely their star Sid the Kid Crosby. Though their star line can score goals like crazy, they are gonna have a tough time against Ottawa if they don't shore up their defence as Ottawa knows how to keep the puck out of their net as well as put up a solid offence led by 50-goal scorer Dany Heatley.

This year is certainly gonna be interesting! :)
Last edited by Blue Comet on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
razgriz

oh yes its the sharks time to shine now hehe
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Nimrod

I'm lazy so since I already typed up my first round picks over on gplus I'll just copy and paste it over here:
Nimrod wrote:
Eastern Conference

(1)Buffalo Sabers vs (8)New York Islanders - Sabers just dominated all the year but began to fall a bit short in the end. Getting hit with injuries didn't help but with some of their players coming back they could make a run. The Islanders were not expected to do anything at all much less get into the playoffs. Credit to Ted Nolan for better the players to drink the Kool-aid. Dipetiro also played on top of his head in goal and kudos to rookie GM Garth Snow for snagging Ryan Smyth at the deadline. Canpatin Canada has proven that he knows how to win. Still, the Isales have lost their #1 goalie and while Dubielewicz has played well the playoffs are a different animal. In any case while I feel dirty picking the Sabers I will never forgive the Islanders for knocking out my Leafs. Sabers in 4.

(2)New Jersey Devils vs (7)Tampa Bay Lightning - one stead fast entry and one that can light it up. While the devils are the Devils one has to wonder about the late coaching change will have an effect however they do have the trap and Brodeur. Tampa on the other hand has goaltending issues but the big guns in st.louis, vinnie and richards. If Tampa can light up Marty early then they have a chance otherwise the Devil will trap and grind the lightning down. Devils in 6

(3)Atlanta Thrashers vs (6)New York Rangers - Who'd have ever thought a team from Atlanta would make it into the NHL playoffs? In any case, while Atlanta has been fairly unknown they've also made their was into 3rd place and made some very good moves at the trade deadline. The Rangers on the other hand were much like their New York counterparts- not expected to be here. Some good coaching, Jagr actually caring and Lundqvist playing goal like a madman and the Rangers can be a threat. However, given how Jagr is always one game away from being a pouting thomas and a hot goaltender must cool down I'm seeing something un-expected here. Thrashers in 5.

(4)Ottawa Senators vs (5) Pittsburgh Penguins - Sid the kid makes his debut in the playoffs. The pens acquiring of Gary Roberts at the deadline shows how serious they are to make a run this year. Ottawa is Ottawa and has they are solid up and down the lineup. The experts are calling this the series to watch. Another pick that as a Leafs fan I feel dirty making but I can't pick the Pens because Crosby is an asshole. Sens in 6

Western Conference

(1)Detroit Red Wings vs (8)Calgary Flames - The Big red machine from hockey town vs the Canadian Red machine from the red mile. Despite the seeding this should be a dandy of a matchup. Will Hasek play of be a diving bum as he has in the past? Will the big stars of the Flames step up and play to their potential? Can the Red Wings win without Stevie Y? My Toronto blood reminds me of the Red Wings - Leafs matchups so I my pick is going to Western Canada Flames in 7

(2)Anaheim Ducks vs (7)Minnesota Wild - The ducks have been under the collective radar all year and quietly put together quite a season. While they can play well(as Selanne has found the fountain of youth there) they are also the most penalized for fighting too. The Wild are a very defensive and trap style team. and that's all there is to say about them. Ducks in 5

(3)Vancouver Canucks vs (6)Dallas Stars - I hate both of these teams so I don't really care how this turns out. Hopefully an act of god will happen and both of these teams will be sucked into nothingness. However, since that cancer on the league Eric Lindros plays for dallas I'll pick Vancouver for now. Vancouver in 6

(4)Nashville Predators vs (5) San Jose Sharks - The Preds are the best unknown team in the NHL. They have quietly put together quite the team especially with the addition of foresberg prior to the deadline. The sharks have also put together quite the season with their big guns of Thornton and Cheechoo turning it on at the right time. Like the Wings and flames this one should be a great series to watch. Preds in 7.
gihrenzabi

lets go sabres. there first seed and have the president's cup.
"To victory, life or death!" - Mikhail "Misha" Kaminsky
"The great mass of people...will more easily
fall victim to a big lie than to a small one."
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
Nimrod

gihrenzabi wrote:lets go sabres. there first seed and have the president's cup.
That doesn't mean much. If anything, it could be the kiss of death. Last year the Red Wings had it and were knocked out in the first round by the Oilers. In a previous year they were swept by the Ducks (QUACK QUACK! FLYING V!) after winning it.
gihrenzabi

Nimrod wrote:
gihrenzabi wrote:lets go sabres. there first seed and have the president's cup.
That doesn't mean much. If anything, it could be the kiss of death. Last year the Red Wings had it and were knocked out in the first round by the Oilers. In a previous year they were swept by the Ducks (QUACK QUACK! FLYING V!) after winning it.
but we got connoly(?) back after 11 months on the injury list plus we got drury and briere. we also got 7 player with more than 20 goals and 3 players with 30+, leading the nhl.
"To victory, life or death!" - Mikhail "Misha" Kaminsky
"The great mass of people...will more easily
fall victim to a big lie than to a small one."
Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
DeltasTaii

That was the West, where everything was backwards last year-1st through 4th all lost in the first round, leaving 5th through 8th.

Buffalo on the other hand, has been kicking butt. They could still lose, because this is the playoffs, but they're chances are pretty darned good (unlike Detroit and the Oilers last year, Buffalo isn't known for struggling with the Islanders).

Detroit owning Calgary is about all I can really care for, either Pittsburgh or Ottawa works as the 2 teams in the East I'd really care to see (well, ignoring the Islanders, but I give them little chance of course)
Deacon Blues

I'm not sure where I sit on the fence with our hometown team (Sabres). I'm leaning more towards them winning, but I'm just hoping they don't get a headrush from being number one so they think they are all king shits. They can do that after they win the cup =D
Antares

I'm interested on how Dallas does because they have many Finns in the team. :P On the east coast I've supported the Devils for some time now without any particular reason.

Our own national league is about to finish, with my own hometown team, which I still support even if I live someplace else (and badmouth their team), coming in at third place. Couldn't quite renew the championship form last year, darn.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
MrMarch

Go flames! :)
Blue Comet

Sheesh almost 1 am over here and the first Dallas-Vancouver game is going into the 4th Overtime! :shock: They've played two whole games in one already and their gonna play more yet! SOMEBODY WIN IT ALREADY! :P

EDIT: Thank God for Hendrik Sedin otherwise that would have certainly gone into the 5th Overtime. Final Score 5-4 for the Vancouver Canucks
Vash

Go Red Wings! The east has its share of pretenders (both new york's, to name a couple), but the west is evenly matched all the way down, and whoever wins, it wont come as a shock. I have a feeling the Detroit-Calgary series will have me biting my nails the entire time.
A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.