Corsair's Gambit: Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Cardi Doorl

EZero8 wrote:Well, I got no red flags regarding my unit from the Trinary, so I guess I'm good to go.
Hold on - Heretic and I need to iron out a detail or two, then we'll go around approving/disapproving stuff. That should come real soon. Trust me, though, when I say that some people (perhaps even myself) might have to make some changes.
SNT1 wrote:-Are the fights heavily factored into the fight, or are pilot skill and MF stats different? (i.e. MF1 has offense of 15, MF2 has defense of 15.5; MF1 has no way of getting through MF2's defenses) Or are the stats just a 'general' idea of what the MS specializes in?

-If its stat based, would it be as rigid as the example I did above, or could it have some leeway? (i.e. MF1's offense has a near 50-50 chance of getting through MF2's defense, but there's little chance MF1's offense of 15 can get through MF3's defense of 25)
This won't be done like a number-crunch RPG. Those numbers give you an idea of how units' abilities are relative to each other, and won't have such definite, inarguable effects such as "you need X offence/power to damage someone with Y defence", etc., etc.
-Can we have a hot chick as the Gundam Fiiight referee?
Who the referee is, male or female, doesn't really matter ;P

-same Gundam fight rules in anime apply? If so, linky to rulz prz, i r not familiar :P
As Wingnut posted, the rules of the 13th Fight are in use, but with soem changes.

We won't be using the Elimination format (ie, one loss and you're out). Since a host nation is allowed to change up the rules during the finals (as seen in the series), we're saying that Neo America made it a round-robin setup, wherein everyone gets a chance to fight everyone else at least once.

Of course, victors are still determined by whomever can destroy/sever the opponent's head, targeting the cockpit is illegal, etc., etc., and basically all the other rules apply unchanged.
Could we get a mid-fight upgrade? I don't want to use it at the very beginning, but I'd kind of like to introduce later on an optional "Beam Bagpipe" weapon for the Claymore Gundam.
Hm, if just adding a new optional weapon is all you'll do, then that's fine. If you wanna go into more extensive upgrades, though, then I'm not so sure that'll fly.
Also, will the Shuffle Alliance be involved in this RPG? If so, who are the members?
That would be up to Heretic, really. Don't quote me on this or consider it set in stone, but I image they could surface if there's some sort of disturbance in the Gundam Fight.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Strike Zero

I've got a couple of questions.

1. Has Heretic mentioned when he's planning to begin the RPG?

2. If we come up with new and inventive ways to use our weapons mid-RPG (meaning, come up with new super attacks) that we hadn't thought of before, are we allowed to add them to our Gundams?

See, what I'm thinking is this: As the tournament progresses and each fighter observes one another's strenghts and weaknesses, it would only be natural to try and adapt their fighting styles to counter their upcoming opponents, right?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Bezerker

Well to answer Shori, there could be multiple "Ref Mechs" to assist the combatants and watch them. I'm sure I could manage refing the matches since im assuming that one of the refs would be in a topic with the two combatants and then a second one in a match going on at the same time. But in all honesty its up to Heretic if this is coshur.
Good old Thundermuffin
LUNA: Shinn, try not to go all over-the-top this time.
TALIA: Shinn! Launch and go all over-the-top on Orb's ass!
SHINN: Yes, MAAM!
Ziryab

Shori wrote:Though, it would be funny to see a Butler-esque mobile suit running around judging fights. XD
Even funnier if they had their own special attacks. Yellow Card Binding!!!!! XD
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Cardi Doorl

Strike Zero wrote:I've got a couple of questions.

1. Has Heretic mentioned when he's planning to begin the RPG?
Sorry, not yet.
2. If we come up with new and inventive ways to use our weapons mid-RPG (meaning, come up with new super attacks) that we hadn't thought of before, are we allowed to add them to our Gundams?
Hm, an interesting idea. I'll discuss that with Heretic as well.
'Zerker wrote:...there could be multiple "Ref Mechs" to assist the combatants and watch them.
Thing is, I fail to see the purpose of this. RP-wise, you'll not really do much other than say "[name] sits around watching the fight waiting for an infraction to take place" and then maybe at the end of the fight you declare the winner and not much else. GMs would make actual decisions on where infractions have occurred. :\

- - -

And another thing I'd like to add to my comment: "Trust me, though, when I say that some people (perhaps even myself) might have to make some changes."

I'd like to remind some players (I won't name names yet) that this RPG is set roughly half a century before the events of G Gundam. That means lower tech, people, and lower-key Gundams. That probably also mean less beam weapons. Take a cue, for example, from the lower-end fighters in G Gundam.

That's just a hint from me ;)

Bezerker

There goes my Spamalot Gundam :(
Good old Thundermuffin
LUNA: Shinn, try not to go all over-the-top this time.
TALIA: Shinn! Launch and go all over-the-top on Orb's ass!
SHINN: Yes, MAAM!
ORegan

is my midget gundam ok for the fight(although overly sterotypical :lol: )
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
Ziryab

Cardi Doorl wrote:I'd like to remind some players (I won't name names yet) that this RPG is set roughly half a century before the events of G Gundam. That means lower tech, people, and lower-key Gundams. That probably also mean less beam weapons. Take a cue, for example, from the lower-end fighters in G Gundam.

Um, I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to G Gundam. ^^;;;;

So if anyone could give me the names of some low end fighters to look into that'd help. Thanks.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Strike Zero

Does that mean my ice weapons idea is going to get axed? I really hope to god not...

EDIT:
Um, I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to G Gundam. ^^;;;;

So if anyone could give me the names of some low end fighters to look into that'd help. Thanks.
By low-end gundams he means Gundam Magnat, Temjim Gundam, Arachno Gundam, you know, the guys that existed just to get beat up. Maybe it could go as far as some of the lower-main characters like Minaret Gundam and Tequila Gundam.
Turinu

Cardi Doorl wrote: And another thing I'd like to add to my comment: "Trust me, though, when I say that some people (perhaps even myself) might have to make some changes."

I'd like to remind some players (I won't name names yet) that this RPG is set roughly half a century before the events of G Gundam. That means lower tech, people, and lower-key Gundams. That probably also mean less beam weapons. Take a cue, for example, from the lower-end fighters in G Gundam.
While my design may look advanced, I'd like to think it isn't as advanced as some of the future designs. That, and it uses solid blade weapons that generate beams, so it's a far cry from having actual things like beam sabers. The only thing which comes close to that is its beam katars.

One of the things which may be pushing it is the extension cloth, but the way I think of it is, "if you can have giant robots, you can have a cloth made of metal fibers!"

*Puts on an army hat and stands tall.* Never give up, never surrender!

Aside from that, for the exclusion of a modern mobile trace system, the technologies employed by the nations doesn't seem to advance too much through the years. The only thing which truly makes a machine look advanced is its superior moves executed by its pilot.

For instance, Pharaoh Gundam IV, from the third Gundam Fight, was more than capable of putting up a fight against modern Gundam, even if it was supped up with DG cells. I'm sure if you remove the DG cells and put the pilot back in, in his top form, he'd be a dangerous adversary.

Now, comparing the Pharaoh Gundam IV to the XIII, it would seem that technology might have actually declined. XIII is equipped with less armaments and only has slightly heightened stats compared to a mobile suit used decades ago.

Exceptions to this would probably be things like the Shining Gundam and God Gundam, or Master Gundam.

Shining Gundam would be the first to truly initiate a Hyper Mode, Master Gundam was mostly the same except more powerful, and God Gundam boasted some fairly wicked power even without its Ultimate Attacks (But then you have to realize that these units belong to the main protagonist and main antagonist, so that's a given.).
RGM-79G GM Command

Cardi Doorl wrote:And another thing I'd like to add to my comment: "Trust me, though, when I say that some people (perhaps even myself) might have to make some changes."

So should I replace the Beam Knives with solid metal ones? (Like heat knives or something.)
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
SNT1

I dunno about the technology problem, one can easily replace "beam" with "ki" and be acceptable in the FC Universe. besides, IMO all gundams so far are very creative and within reason (no one overpowering) :o
RGM-79G GM Command

Mine is not creavtive, it's the R-1 from Super Robot Wars, with Beam Knives instead of metal knives, no long range rifle, a 79mm double barrel machine cannon, and no transformation abilites. >_<
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
Fritz Ashlyn

SNT1 wrote:besides, IMO all gundams so far are very creative and within reason (no one overpowering) :o
You're joking, right? :?
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Heretic

First off, SNT1’s questions.

To start I think that we should play the stats more as a general idea. If players take things too far by doing things that are outside the possibilities for the stats they established, then we may have to set down stricter stat based regulations. I don’t want to do that though, since this is supposed to be about having fun. To me, math isn’t fun, but if it becomes necessary I will implement a system of some form.

Wingnut has offered to play the ref and I’m going to accept that offer. The gender and appearance of that referee is up to his discretion. So long as they shout “GUNDAAAAAAM FIGHT!”

Ascension’s questions:

For now, I’ll say there can be weapon upgrades in the future but they must be approved by GM/Mods when you want it.

No Shuffle Alliance involvement. We’ve got enough with the main bad guys (the plotting pirates) as well as some more harmless baddies to play against. I don’t think it’s necessary at this time to add another group into this game.

RGM-79G GM Command, I see no reason for your Gundam to have an X in its mode number, since there isn’t anything significant that sets it apart from others.

Ziryab, Experience points would be too complicated to include in an RPG of this nature. My goal is to keep thins simple and easy to play so that everyone can have fun.

Bezerker, Wingnut has offered to be our Ref/judge. Since refs will have such an insignificant part in the fights themselves, he could play multiple referees who only have any interaction when the situation calls for them.

Tech levels:

Limited beam weaponry/technology. Rifles and cannons aren’t necessary since you aren’t trying to kill your opponent or turn their machine into a burning heap of scrap, only disable their machine. Traditional ballistic weapons are more than enough for that. Beam knives and other Beam mêlée weapons are permitted but if you can get away with normal or heat blades instead, I encourage you do consider it.

Stat definitions:

Power: The amount of energy that can be supplied by the reactor, which can be applied to weapons, defence or physical strength.

Speed: The speed at which an MF can walk/run/sprint as well as the speed for arms when performing mêlée or hand to hand combat attacks.

Offence: attacking capability weapons and ammunition

Defence: protective capabilities, armour, other defensive equipment

Search: ability and equipment for locating, tracking and targeting an opponent.

Adaptability: An MF’s capability to operate in a variety of terrain/atmospheric conditions and/or reconfigure in battle to better suit changing circumstances.

Rules of the 3rd Gundam Fight:

Article 1: A unit whose head section has been destroyed loses the fight but is not eliminated from the tournament.
Article 2: A Gundam Fighter must never aim at the cockpit of an opponent's Gundam.
Article 3: A Gundam Fighter may repair damage to his Gundam as often as he desires including the head section in order to continue participating in the tournament.
Article 4: A Gundam Fighter must take responsibility for protecting his own Gundam.
Article 5: A match shall only be held on a one-on-one basis.
Article 6: A Gundam Fighter shall not taint the honour and dignity of the nation he is representing.
Article 7: Earth is the ring!
Supplement to Article 1: Accidental harm inflicted on a Gundam Fighter during a match is acceptable.
Supplement to Article 7: Destruction of property on Earth due to the Gundam Fight is not considered a crime.

As for when we begin, because of internet problems and delays, I still have to finish my own profiles. Then Cardi and I will scrutinize all the character and mecha profiles.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
RGM-79G GM Command

Well I'll remove the X and change the Beam Knives into Heat Knives then.
Cardi Doorl

I'm changing my Tizona to a heat sword instead of a beam one, which means I'll have to change my second Ultimate Attack (which is somewhat implausible with a heat sword). I'll also be changing up by ability points in light of the new interpretation thereof, so don't take my current stat list as my final one.

Strike Zero

Would I be able to keep my Gundam's Aurora Drivers and Thin-Ice blade? It may be pushing it on the beams, but right now I can't think of any other way my techniques would work otherwise...
Psyden

This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.

Fritz: You have 1 space point for Blitz mode.

Cardi: You can give only a maximum of 8 points into your special mode.

Dark: You need to check your points totals. 78 for normal, 85 for special.

Wedge: You have 1 spare point for special, but you can only put points into 2 categories.

ORegan: You have 1 spare point for normal, but in Special, you can only add a max of 8 points to a category.

Strike: You have 2 spare points for normal. You can only add to 2 categories. And there is a typo on Defense. It should be 10.5, not 11.5.

If Love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?
Cardi Doorl

Cardi: You can give only a maximum of 8 points into your special mode.
You worded that a little oddly, but after checking the points rules I see what you meant. Like I said, though, I'm planning on reconfiguring my numbers drastically anyway. It's a good thing you pointed that out, though, so I won't make the same mistake when I'm done reworking it. :wink: