Battlestar Galactica

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
solid snake

Saikuba wrote:I believe that when the Pegasus is introduced it is mentioned that the Pegasus's system was receiving an upgrade or something of that nature and as such wasn't completly operational (though I'm not exactly sure that is the explanation that they used). Since it seems like the Pegasus crew figured out that everyone with fully working networked systems was getting killed, they probably focused on finding ways to get everything to work without networking their computers. But then again I'm not exactly sure on any of that.
Right. Now I remember. Admiral Cain mentioned that when the Cylons attacked, the Pegasus had just entered space dock for a six month overhaul.
A strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
Anonymous

One of the finest sci-fi shows that I've ever seen (and we all hope that it will stay that way for the forseeable future).

Almost every element of the show is truly at the top of its game.
solid snake

Ouch, talk about betrayl. After telling Apollo that she loves him, she just ups and marries Anders. That's cold.
Chris
Administrator

solid snake wrote:Ouch, talk about betrayl. After telling Apollo that she loves him, she just ups and marries Anders. That's cold.
Well, Starbuck certainly has issues, as has been shown time and again throughout the series. But even for her, that was cold.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Starbuck might as well have stuck an icicle through Apollo's heart. >.> I thought Lee was going to snap right there when she and Anders walked up to him after Adama broke the news. ^^b
Anonymous

For all of us here, does Kara's angast rival the worst that we got out of the characters of Gundam (I know that it seems off topic but watching Kara tonight reminded me of that).

Sorry I had to ask after seeing her behavior as of late.
Shinji103

Hmm, I think that's a good question, actually. I'm inclined to say that the heroes of Gundam still have the upperhand on angst though. ^^b
Antares

Angst is not true angst in anime if you haven't A) threatened to run away and then B) proceeded to do so. Extensive flashbackking also compulsory.

I am thoroughly entertained by BSG. It is beautiful to look at in a grubby sort of way, and so far I've been able to accept some bumps in the plot, and predicatability. I think it might be the dialogue and discourse that sometimes makes the series such an enjoyable experience. That said, it has had its share of filler-episodes.

I don't know how much this classifies as a spoiler, but when talking about Mr. Agathon's actions of late, some people are ready to string him up. I am not one of them. I am kind of interested why some people take such a stance of hatred towards him...
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Suzaku

Antares wrote:Angst is not true angst in anime if you haven't A) threatened to run away and then B) proceeded to do so. Extensive flashbackking also compulsory.

I am thoroughly entertained by BSG. It is beautiful to look at in a grubby sort of way, and so far I've been able to accept some bumps in the plot, and predicatability. I think it might be the dialogue and discourse that sometimes makes the series such an enjoyable experience. That said, it has had its share of filler-episodes.

I don't know how much this classifies as a spoiler, but when talking about Mr. Agathon's actions of late, some people are ready to string him up. I am not one of them. I am kind of interested why some people take such a stance of hatred towards him...
Because he's a toaster lover
Antares

Suzaku said:
Yes that would be the easy answer, but considering the high level of scripting in the series, aren't you perhaps invited to explore that slightly deeper? 8)

I must say that after the Starbuck-Lee incidence the latter has risen up next to Baltar as one of my favorites in the show. It's always nice when you find common ground with a fictional character. :P
Charismatic Enigma

I saw the pilot, but just couldn't get into it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great series with talented writers, yet I do sometimes have trouble following the story.
"Aaahh!"-The last words of many a mobile suit pilot.
Anonymous

Antares wrote:Suzaku said:
Yes that would be the easy answer, but considering the high level of scripting in the series, aren't you perhaps invited to explore that slightly deeper? 8)

I must say that after the Starbuck-Lee incidence the latter has risen up next to Baltar as one of my favorites in the show. It's always nice when you find common ground with a fictional character. :P

I guess it is pretty much what he said here and also how he portrayed it. To be honest, I thought Helo should have been punished as well, especially after saying about the fact that Cylons and humans tried to live together in New Caprica. And the people that should have the right to punish him for such ignorance would be none other than Tigh and Starbuck.
Antares

I'll be brief, since considering, as I said, quite good script-writing in Galactica, you can find some real-world relevancies in the series. And since this forum is not for any sort of political views, let's not go there.

But I will say this: If you think Tigh and Starbuck have a right because of what they went through to punish Helo for what he said, I'll give even more credit to the writing because some of the points they make, from my perspective, apparently are more subtle than I thought. But perhaps in that sense in truly is a good series because most people watching can find something they like in it.
Shinji103

Admiral Larsen wrote:To be honest, I thought Helo should have been punished as well, especially after saying about the fact that Cylons and humans tried to live together in New Caprica. And the people that should have the right to punish him for such ignorance would be none other than Tigh and Starbuck.
Ignorance? What Helo said had much merit, and it was clear that Adama at the very least mostly agreed with him. If the Cylons were nothing more then genocidal machines hell-bent on wiping out humanity without reason as people like Tigh and Starbuck would say, then why didn't they just nuke New Caprica? It was clear and very obvious that they did indeed choose to try and live with humans, or they would have just nuked them again rather than going to the trouble of even trying to live with them under Cylon control. The people who were down on New Caprica are just biased against that fact because of the suffering they went through down there. It should be obvious that it would have been much easier for the Cylons to just nuke them. Laura's decision to try and wipe the Cylons out entirely also shows that she was biased by the events on New Caprica. The Laura Rosalyn before New Caprica wouldn't have come to the decision of using biological weapons so easily.

What Tigh and Starbuck went through only made them cynical, pessimistic, and exceptionally bitter as the following episodes after the escape from New Caprica showed. Even Adama saw this and practically went apesh** on them over it. Then there was all the BS with the "Secret Jury" that Zarek set up. Practically everybody on that "jury" was heavily biased against the Cylons, or at the very least viewed as biased against them. Tigh with his eye, Starbuck has always been strongly anti-Cylon and only got worse after New Caprica, that one guy's family was killed, Starbuck's husband had his wife kidnapped by them, as did the chief, and that other lady was exceptionally biased as well. It was clear that while they were spouting about a fair trial, that group was selected specifically because they were exceptionally biased against the Cylons because of what they went through, in other words a rigged jury. Tigh and Starbuck should be the last people to punish anybody for anything about the Cylons.
solid snake

Well if I was a member of the fleet, where they Cylons had slaughtered untold billions and were relentlessly hounding the survivors, I'd probably jump at the chance to wipe them out.

On a different note, it was sad to see Kat die. Sure she was a bitch, but it was still sad to see her go, especially since she redeemed herself in the end.
Wingnut

Well as expected this leaves us at a cliffhanger for another month+, which is yet another example of my sig line in action.
So any thoughts on this latest episode and speculations on what will happen when things start up again?
On that note just as a reminder that BSG will now be on Sunday nights at 10pm eastern time. Why? Ya got me on that one.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Anonymous

Definitely a lot better than some of the previous few episodes.

1. Pretty interesting how the meeting went between the Cylons and Humans and liked it much when Cavil said that they would throw in Baltar and both Tigh and Adama were open to the idea. :twisted: Also very creepy when the two Sharons come face to face.

2. Didn't want anymore stuff dealing with Kara and Lee. :evil:

3. Loved the moment where Tyrol was talking about his childhood days. So funny.

4. The truth comes out about Hera. I was willing to bet that perhaps Athena would have said quietly and very angrily about wanting to shoot someone to Adama's face (preferably him or the president) for what happened to her child.

5. Now we get to see how Galactica actually uses its nukes. Personally, if he wanted to, Adama could have used them against the basetars since from the distance, it seems that the basestars would not have much time to put up a defense before the nukes hit. But that is just me. Oh and very good ending to the episode.

And now, we have to wait again to see what happens. Fortunately this time, it will be only a month.
Antares

AWK! Spoiled by my own curiosity. Haven't seen the ep yet. Oh well. 8)

Wingnut said:
On that note just as a reminder that BSG will now be on Sunday nights at 10pm eastern time. Why? Ya got me on that one.
I believe I read on a forum/unofficial news someplace (good, reliable info on teh Internets) that BSG's ratings had actually gone down somewhat, and they hoped to change that with a new timeslot. Beats me if that will help though, but I guess it is understandable since the series is relatively expensive to make.

Admiral Larsen said:
5. Now we get to see how Galactica actually uses its nukes. Personally, if he wanted to, Adama could have used them against the basetars since from the distance, it seems that the basestars would not have much time to put up a defense before the nukes hit. But that is just me. Oh and very good ending to the episode.
I remember that at least in season one the Galactica had like five nukes left, so I assume they really wanted to save those for a critical moment. Apparently Adama didn't feel "moments" have been "critical" enough before. :P Then again, he gave one of the five to Baltar's incredible Cylon-detector, and we all know what that brought about. So maybe the nukes are one of Adama's soft spot when it comes to making timely decisions. But he is not the Decider, so that's okay. :wink:

BTW, as sad as it was, I was 90% certain Kat was a goner 10 minutes into the previous ep. The set-up was not very elaborate. A pity.
Anonymous

Antares wrote:AWK! Spoiled by my own curiosity. Haven't seen the ep yet. Oh well. 8)

Wingnut said:
I believe I read on a forum/unofficial news someplace (good, reliable info on teh Internets) that BSG's ratings had actually gone down somewhat, and they hoped to change that with a new timeslot. Beats me if that will help though, but I guess it is understandable since the series is relatively expensive to make.

Admiral Larsen said:
I remember that at least in season one the Galactica had like five nukes left, so I assume they really wanted to save those for a critical moment. Apparently Adama didn't feel "moments" have been "critical" enough before. :P Then again, he gave one of the five to Baltar's incredible Cylon-detector, and we all know what that brought about. So maybe the nukes are one of Adama's soft spot when it comes to making timely decisions. But he is not the Decider, so that's okay. :wink:

BTW, as sad as it was, I was 90% certain Kat was a goner 10 minutes into the previous ep. The set-up was not very elaborate. A pity.

The amount of nukes Adama had were before Pegasus arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if Pegasus did lend some of her nuclear stockpile to Galactica when they joined up.
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:On that note just as a reminder that BSG will now be on Sunday nights at 10pm eastern time. Why? Ya got me on that one.
Generally speaking, in American broadcasting, Sunday is a "bigger" TV night than Friday. You don't usually see many big TV shows on Friday or Saturday night because it's the weekend and people are out doing things. But since Monday is work or school, people are usually home Sunday night. I guess Sci-Fi wants to compete with the lineups other networks have on Sunday.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his