Video Games That Should Become Movies

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Strike Zero

Video Games That Should Become Movies

This topic came up in another forum, and it piqued my curiousity. Are there any games out there that you would like to see made into live action movies? (and by made, i mean made well into live action movies.)

For starters, I'd like to see an Armored Core live action production. That would be frikkin awesome. :D
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
alucard2

If done well an Ac movie would be godly :D

now an Metal Gear Solid one would rock as well
Toxicity

I think a splinter cell movie would be kinda cool.
Imperial

I think the topic title should be "Video Games that Should Become Good Movies." Given the game-to-movie score card, it's a big distinction. :roll:

A Metal Gear Solid movie would be amazing, not to mention something Legend of Zelda-based.

But, as mentioned, the problem is making it a good adaption. A MGS movie would likely star Vin Diesel wielding rifles akimbo for an hour and a half while he mows down red shirts. A LoZ movie would likely come off as a Lord of the Rings clone.
This space for rent
Random_GM_Pilot

An MSG movie would be cool, but I would only see it upon two conditions; Hideo Kojima is the producer and/or director, and Daivd Hayter plays Solid Snake.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
Blauer Nebel

I'd love to see Legend of Zelda adapted into a good movie. I wouldn't want it to be just another Lord of the Rings clone. However, given the recent trend of fantasy movies I think that it would be wholly unavoidable.

Who else thinks Patrick Stewart would make an awesome Ganondorf?
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
tetsujin

Re: Video Games That Should Become Movies

Strike Zero wrote:For starters, I'd like to see an Armored Core live action production. That would be frikkin awesome. :D
I think the end result may be problematic - among other things, the customization feature and the wealth of parts, which add depth to the game, isn't something that can be easily worked into a movie. At best it can work as "backdrop", but for the audience's sake each character's machine would have to stay pretty much the same all the time... But I would enjoy any kind of AC video production (there's an anime in the works, I believe) and it's fun to think of how they could do a trilogy: AC3 (AI-managed society), SL/Nexus (post-AI wasteland, dangerous automated weapons and struggles to control it, then Last Raven (revolutionaries fighting for control of the new society, old system's collapse. It could be fun if done right - some average contract Raven (one of the protagonists, for sure) in the first movie could wind up becoming the Evangel or Jack-O of the third movie.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I'd love to see an A.C.E. game made into a movie. Has there ever been an actual anime that combines different mecha animes? (besides SD Gundam :P ) I don't think it's ever been done yet. I'm sure that'd be a major hit. :D
Wingnut

Shinji103 wrote:I'd love to see an A.C.E. game made into a movie. Has there ever been an actual anime that combines different mecha animes? (besides SD Gundam :P ) I don't think it's ever been done yet. I'm sure that'd be a major hit. :D
No, and I'll tell you why there hasn't: Licenceing and VAs. It would be a major pain in the rear to get all those cast members together, some of whom are now dead, in one place at the same time. Second is the reason why we don't see any SRW games in the US aside from the OG games, the copyrights that would have to be paid off for this to work would be more than what most, if not all, companies are willing to shell out for this sort of thing.
SD Gundam, while a crossover, is still contained within one franchise and thus much easier to achieve.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Scyron

Blauer Nebel wrote:I'd love to see Legend of Zelda adapted into a good movie. I wouldn't want it to be just another Lord of the Rings clone. However, given the recent trend of fantasy movies I think that it would be wholly unavoidable.

Who else thinks Patrick Stewart would make an awesome Ganondorf?
I'd rather see Straight Ganon as a non-human monster, easier for people to recognize as to who is inhuman and evil, also all the games used ganon as the end bad guy. Although it is hollywood, anything is possible. Truthfully I wouldn't mind seeing a zelda movie, but it would be a hard task and I would really want the creator to be the director or executive producer.

I wanted a resident evil movie, thanks to hollywood that will never happen, especially if paul w.s. anderson directs such filth.

Personally, a good easy one to make would be like Ace combat or something, something akin to a top gun 2 or whatknot. I don't have a great game library as I looka t it now, most have already been made or would not relate to the game no matter what.

ps. max payne since that game is straight story. cliche action movie crap.
Cypher

Personally, a good adaptation of Virtual On and I would be a happy guy <3
TM Revolutions "Zips" + Titans colored Strike Freedom = Bad Ass !!!
Dark Duel

None, 'cuz Game-adaptation movies always suck.
Doom, the Resident Evil movies, etc...all suck, so no.

I'm also starting to get iffy on comic-book-to-movie adaptations. the last three comic book-based movies have been abysmal crap.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
G.Squirrel

the last three comic book-based movies have been abysmal crap.
Even V for Vendetta?

I know this will sound wierd, but I would like to see a Viewtiful Joe movie.
Blauer Nebel

I know this will sound wierd, but I would like to see a Viewtiful Joe movie.
The cartoon was a flop, IMO. If they couldn't animate properly, then what's the point in adapting it for the big screen?
Assume the best. Prepare for the worst; for I have the hands of a saint and the mind of a sinner.
volrath77

G.Squirrel wrote:I know this will sound wierd, but I would like to see a Viewtiful Joe movie.
Off topic but there already is a Viewtiful Joe anime (seen it but have not bought it).

That said, so far IMHO game-movie conversions generally suck. RE & RE2 may be ok to some but I don't like how they took liberty with the storyline, introduced new characters (Alice WTF?) and relegated the game's main characters as supporting characters.

Doom? Granted, there ain't much story to begin with in-game but I still don't like what they've done with it.

Silent Hill? An ok effort but again, same problem with RE. Why do they have to butcher the storyline anyway? Not to mention that I just don't get the same feeling of dread from the games. Hnh. At a superficial (non-gamer) level, SH worked but for the purists? No sir, it just fell flat. Palatable but flat.

...And I don't want to even elaborate on the steaming piles of excrement that is Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. ZE GOGGLES! ZEY DO NOTHINGK!

EDIT: Isn't there a DOA movie featuring only the DOA girls? I don't know but seems to me, it's very likely an utterly crappy production more as a fanservice and nothing more.

I've also heard about plans on making Psi-Ops: Mindgate Conspiracy and Fatal Frame into movies. Why won't these people just learn the lessons so far & leave the games alone?
SNT1

first off, If possible, I would rather not see anything game -> movie; they tend to butcher it :lol:

although, get that wachowski brothers to direct Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, or Devil May Cry, then we might have something that I'll enjoy ^-^
Folken Fanel

Stop hating on video game movies. They can be good. The best way to make sure they don't suck is to beat Uwe Boll on the head everytime he says,"I'll do a movie on_______."

Besides, they're making a Halo movie. What could be better than a Halo movie?
Mobile Suit Gundam: Neo
It's common knowledge that 99.99% of users on Youtube are ZOINKING idiots.
RGM-79G GM Command

I got cancelled last I heard. T_T But I would love to see a DOOM movie about demons instead of mutants. Maybe a Half-Life movie, a Winback: Covert Operations movie, and a Kingdom Hearts movie.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Random_GM_Pilot

Folken Fanel wrote:Besides, they're making a Halo movie. What could be better than a Halo movie?
Pretty much anything? I've never been a fan of Halo and after playing through the first game, I honestly have no idea what everyone's so excited over. As for a Kingdom Hearts movie, it seems like it'd be tough to condense everything into a movie. Something like Resident Evil would work well as a movie, but they absolutely BUTCHERED the first game's story until it only slightly resembled RE1.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
Imperial

Stop hating on video game movies. They can be good.
I don't mean to be irreverent, but really?

Opinions are a fluid thing, as they differ from person to person, but I've yet to see a feature film whose source material is a game that left me enjoying it for the right reasons. I enjoyed House of the Dead, but only because it was so laughably bad that I felt as if I had just seen a comedy.
This space for rent