The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Post Reply
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

All right... Sunrise is coming off of a bye week with a new episode of G-Witch. I hope the extra time gave them a little more latitude to develop their story and perhaps make it a bit more consistent with itself?
Spoiler
This episode opens on a teacher at Asticassia explaining permet and its applications on a very basic level. I kinda feel like this exposition is something we really could've used much earlier in the series. They avoid using any actual technical terminology, but as with written explanations it's probably working by means of quantum entanglement. This would probably have been a good place to get into more detail about how permet works and how networks of it function, since that's apparently going to be very important going forward... a big missed opportunity for proper exposition in this series.

Also, YMMV, but IMO the regular Asticassia uniform looks a LOT better on Suletta than the Holder variant. Her red hair goes well with the uniform's red trim.

With the exception of her uniform, Suletta is so much her usual chipper self that you'd almost suspect the writers forgot about the events of the last episode if not for the other Earth House students remarking on how unnatural it is for her to be so cheerful after losing her title, her only connection with Miorine, and the Aerial all at once. Suletta derails this rare moment of introspection by showing up with a bowl of questionable ramen and just going on about her bucket list of things she wanted to do at school. Y'know what, they're not wrong... her being so chipper really is getting a tiny bit creepy here. Unfortunately, nobody's brave enough to actually talk to her about it directly before the show cuts away to the opening credits.

After the OP... is Guel wearing his dad's old suit? Guel's having a hard time as the new CEO of Jeturk Heavy Machinery. Apparently he's in talks with financing for the acquisition of a new subsidiary corporation and hasn't got the paperwork together yet. Miorine's apparently there helping him, and Prospera Mercury's on the line offering support too. Apparently Jeturk Heavy Machinery has a new-model MS they haven't unveiled to the public... which Prospera suggests they exploit for a publicity stunt to build up Guel Jeturk's credibility.
OK, hold on a second... I get that it's Gundam's usual trope that Gundam-type Mobile Suits have a distinctive appearance that marks them out as Gundams at a glance. That's the case in the UC, CE, AW, and AC timelines for sure. Ad Stella is not one of those timelines because "Gundam" in this timeline is a contraction of "GUND-ARM", which applies to any mobile weapon built around the GUND Format control system. You could make a MS that looks 100% identical to the Aerial and it wouldn't be a Gundam unless it was based on GUND technology.
Spoiler
So... with the above firmly in mind, how does Miorine recognize at a glance that the new Jeturk MS is a Gundam?

This is not a setting where "Gundam-ness" is based on the appearance of the MS or the materials used in its construction and there is no way to tell, at-a-glance, that a MS's control system uses the GUND Format... or the Aerial would've been scrapped and Suletta banished back to Mercury back in episode two. So how does Miorine immediately recoginze that the new Jeturk MS is a Gundam? There is no reasonable explanation for that. They can't have known beforehand, because both of them are clearly upset about not knowing and say as much.

This new MS, the Schwarzette, is described as a next-generation MS by Guel. Presumably, taken in line with remarks made about other Jeturk MS's in this series, that means the Schwarzette is a 5th Generation Mobile Suit concept like the Darilbalde. Most of the MS's we've seen to date, like Guel and Lauda's Dilanzas, the Dilanza Sol, Demi, Zowort, etc. have been 4th Generation production MS's. Prospera confirms it is in fact a Gundam, and that its development started shortly after Shin Sei's appearance before the MSDC back at the start of the series. She assets that it isn't a violation of GUND-ARM Inc.'s rights to the technology since it was developed before GUND-ARM Inc. acquired Shin Sei's MS development arm.

Also, can I take a moment to say how unreasonably funny I find Prospera being telepresent for this not by the ubiquitous smartphones everyone has but by a tablet embedded in what has to be a 4 foot tall pedestal that rolls around on casters and a giant ball while being piloted by a Haro?

Miorine shoots down Prospera's suggestion of using the Schwarzette as a PR tool, announcing it as a joint venture between Jeturk and GUND-ARM, in order to build a track record to win the election of the Benerit Group's president.
Wait, what? I know the previous episode basically invalidated all of the progress made since the show's start, but did the writers just forget what the entire show was based on up to this point? The entire point of the Holder system - the reason anyone at all was competing for the position and why Vim Jeturk was willing to assassinate Delling Rembran to secure the position for his son - was that Miorine's hand came with control of the block of Benerit Group shares owned by Delling Rembran. A block of shares so big that it would make even a minor Benerit Group company very powerful in the grand scheme of things, and big enough that any one of the Three Houses would secure majority control over the Benerit Group in the event that one of their scions became her husband.

This was literally the entire foundation of Vim Jeturk's plan to take over the Benerit Group and the reason he plotted to assassinate Delling Rembran while his son was the Holder. This was also the basis of Shaddiq Zenneli's two plans to undermine the Benerit Group... the first being to secure her himself and become the new President, and the second being to ensure that none of the Three Houses got her in order to open up the possiblity for this election in the first place. But that didn't go to plan because, at the last moment (lol, just like the first episode) Suletta threw a wrench into the works... by losing this time, handing the Holder title back to Guel Jeturk just as the engagement was set to be finalized by Miorine's 17th birthday. There shouldn't be any reason for them to worry about this election because Miorine and Guel should have voting control of enough shares of the Benerit Group for an automatic majority.

This is a BIG plot hole. A REALLY BIG plot hole. I'm not even five minutes into the episode and I've had to stop TWICE for major plot holes.
Spoiler
Prospera is apparently hanging out at Grassley Defense Systems, which outrages Miorine even more.

Bitchy and outraged are her two default emotional states, so that's nothing new really.

Meanwhile, Belmiria's working in a hangar somewhere on the Aerial and asks about a Mobile Suit in a file she's reviewing. Why she has to ask is a bit silly, since the visible document answers her question in the first sentence. It's a GUNDNODE, XGF-E3, a MS-type GUND-Bit for use with a data storm network that can support the expansion of a data storm network and will automatically defend and support the Aerial as a networked swarm able to share tactical information with each other. It's really kind of stupid to have Belmiria react like that and then show the audience the document clearly explanining the concept in plain and legible English. (The guy she's talking to says it out loud for the benefit of the non-English speaking audience.)

Shaddiq, meanwhile, is talking to Prospera about wanting to make GUND-ARM Inc.'s GUND technology part of the group's core business. It's a bit odd that he's talking to her, since she's not in charge of GUND-ARM Inc., Miorine is. I guess Prospera's counting on Miorine being too dim or distracted for her to properly punish her for meeting with rival companies to discuss trade secrets. Shaddiq claims Grassley is interested as a way to quickly regain credibility lost earlier in the series, while Prospera takes a jab at him for failing to recover the Gundams that attacked the Open Campus. She correctly spots that actually recovering the Lfriths even in a damaged state would've caused Shaddiq quite a bit of trouble, with the (correct) implication being that he was behind it. Miorine and Guel storm in, and Guel confronts Shaddiq about the breach of etiquette of going to one of GUND-ARM's subsidary companies without contacting the parent company first. Shaddiq's still planning to run for President, and drops the tidbit that he's already secured the support of Peil Technologies for his bid.

This is still a big damn plot hole, because Miorine's supposed to have voting control of Delling's shares and Guel the same for Vim's, which if all of the previous episodes claimed would be enough for majority control.

Suletta's still working in Miorine's greenhouses... that's kinda super creepy too. Miorine not only effectively dumped her in the most brutal way (well, for Suletta anyway), she's someone else's fiancee now. Chuchu at least calls hers out on it.

OK, respect for Chuchu increases fractionally. She doesn't pull her punches verbally OR literally.

Yup, Suletta is so deep in denial she's finding crocodiles. (OK that joke doesn't work in print.) Suletta is blaming HERSELF, saying that she broke her promise to Miorine and that it was stupid of her to think she was Miorine's equal. The denial and self-blame while hanging around her ex's garden is kinda creepy and stalker-ish, but she's at least showing some small sign of self-awareness that she and Miorine were never on the same level. They get interrupted by Lauda, who is still holding a grudge and wastes no time insulting Suletta... before weirdly boomeranging into a sincere (if a bit cold) expression of gratitude to Chuchu for having saved him during the Open Campus. It seems his laser-guided barbs hit home, since Suletta starts to get depressed. Chuchu declares they're going to see Miorine... then leaves Earth House's dormitory head behind over his protests. It seems nobody has much respect for the poor bugger. Suletta tries to weasel out of it, only to get hit by Chuchu.

Reinforced Person #5 is still loitering around Dawn of Fold's little hidey hole in Grassley's turf, annoying the locals. Nika asks if he's Elan Ceres and he actually admits he's not the same Elan Ceres they knew previously.

We get a look at an election forecast and it's way different to what'd been established previously. The projection shows Shaddiq carrying the election by an enormous margin (81% to 19%) and a breakdown. It's like someone forgot Jeturk Heavy Machinery exists at all on this chart. Based on what's presented here:
  • Grassley Defense Systems owns a 34.83% stake in the Benerit Group
  • Peil Technologies owns a 29.16% stake in the Benerit Group
  • Delling Rembran owns a 16.72% stake in the Benerit Group
  • Other stakeholders own 19.29% of the Benerit Group (presumably minor and subsidiary companies)
It's worth noting this does neatly add up to 100%, but where the hell is Jeturk Heavy Machinery? Jeturk was the biggest of the Three Houses and the most profitable Benerit Group company at the start of the series. It's not even listed. It's unlikely Benerit's biggest company only owned 2.28% of the parent company when the other two of the Three Houses own ~30%. The math ain't mathin' here. Especially since it was previously established that Delling's shares would be enough to grant any of the Three Houses majority control. That's three major plot holes and I am only 10:44 into this latest episode. Unless the
Spoiler
Elan Ceres (Real Grade) is upset that he wasn't put forward as a candidate to lead the Benerit Group, and is told that The Time Is Not Right... though we get the reveal that Peil's leadership is selected by a proprietary AI called the Peil Grade rather than having employees weigh qualifications and performance of other employees. Apparently the real Elan is the highest scorer on the Peil Grade, which is why he's a real power inside Peil. We actually get to see his report card too... he's ranked REALLY highly in every category except Mobile Suit Piloting. He's S rank or above in every single category except piloting, where he's carrying a C average. According to Reinforced Person #5, this is what prompted him to start selecting various body doubles when the dueling committee became the venue for chosing Miorine's fiance.

Reinforced Person #5 delivers some laser-guided barbs to the other Lfrith pilot, about being an empty person who's only pretending to fight for the sake of Earth. This causes her to flip out and attempt to stab him.

Shaddiq is apparently liquidating Grassley assets and selling them to Earth-owned companies under the pretense of preparing a ransom payment for the safe return of his father.

We see Miorine, Guel, and Prospera agonizing over the same report that we saw in Elan's meeting with Peil's co-CEOs. Why does nobody notice that Jeturk Heavy Machinery's shares aren't even counted? There is literally no line-item for them.

Apparently continuing unrest on Earth in response to Benerit's crackdown is driving Peil to align itself with Grassley. Miorine wants to go down to the Earth and talk to the armed protesters... which everyone else seems to find pretty ridiculous. She wants to take the Aerial to Earth as a show of force and negotiate to end the rioting in Quinharbor.

The gal from the Space Assembly League shows up pretending to be a lost employee. Apparently her name is Feng Jun, and she arrests/abducts Belmiria.

The head boy from Earth House is in a counseling room... the school counselor is a Haro? The hell, this room is some kind of confessional, and the person on the other side is the really snide gal from Bulion House.

Cathedral's showing their own exasperation with Miorine. They want her to take former top ace Kenanji Avery with her, the guy who was the lead for Volkfangr's suppression. It hasn't really been discussed in the series, but Guel's minor freakout here is because he's meeting his idol.

Earth House turned up to Miorine's office and are getting turned away at the door by a Haro demanding to know if they have an appointment. Suletta goes off into the hangars looking for Miorine. Apparently there's just no security anymore? Despite the fact that she doesn't own the Aerial, she takes it out. Apparently whatever happened in the previous episode is no longer in effect, since she's apparently able to converse with the system again and she doesn't show the signs of normal GUND use. It does... something... and now she's hallucinating still being in the hangar talking to Ericht, who is the Aerial's personality. There are apparently multiple Erichts inside the Aerial?

The Erichts tell her they don't need her anymore... that she was a stand-in because her consciousness, trapped in the Aerial, had no physical form to operate the Aerial. One of the Erichts collectively refers to them as the "Children of the Coven" and the main Ericht asserts they're all (presumably also including Suletta) "repli-children" (she literally says "repli-child") based on Ericht's genes. So I guess there it is... Suletta Mercury is a clone of Ericht Samaya. Possibly one of several.

Kids have no mercy, huh? Ericht flat-out says that they have no need for Suletta anymore because Quiet Zero will create a world where Ericht can live. It does something to the permet in her body that causes her to have a series of rapid-fire visions from the prologue, culminating in one where we see Elnora mourning her daughter's death while Suletta is still a baby. Apparently at Permet Score 8, Ericht can operate the Aerial without needing a pilot, and no longer needs Suletta at all. Holy crap she kicked her out into space! Luckily (or not), Prospera is there with a rescue beacon. She takes the Aerial and leaves to rendzevous with Miorine while Suletta has a breakdown in space waiting for rescue.

If it weren't for the presence of so many substantial plot holes that ignore or reverse things previously established in the series, I'd call this a pretty good episode. With them, it's still just annoying to watch.

It actually does something halfway substantial with the plot and premise, and we FINALLY get a proper reveal for what exactly it was that made the Aerial special.
Spoiler
Namely, that the reason it doesn't fry its pilot's brain with permet data storms is because the pilot isn't actually controlling it at all... the pilot was only ever a flesh proxy for a literal ghost in the machine who is actually controlling it. Without Ericht there, the Aerial would be cooking Suletta's brain the same way the Pharact did to Elan or the Lfrith did to its various pilots.
That said, it's rather unsatisfying to have this episode not only acknowledge but directly, literally, and explicitly validate every complaint I've made on the subject of Suletta being a underdeveloped character, a protagonist with no agency in her own story, her being little more than a useful idiot or a tool for those around her, and how her achievements were largely unearned because the Aerial cheesed its way to victory for her. That they did it on purpose doesn't make the writing less bad with such a woefully underdeveloped protagonist, it just makes Suletta's status as a flat character more explicable...
Spoiler
because Suletta Mercury is a clone created to unknowingly assist in the development of the Aerial's permet data storm network until it could reach a permet score where autonomous operation was possible.

Either Eri has pulled a "me's a crowd" as a data entity or Suletta is one of - possibly the last of - an entire series of Ericht Samaya clones (the "Children of the Coven") that were created and used to augment the Aerial's development by merging with it.)

This also carries the interesting implication that Suletta's memories of her childhood may not actually be real. We see Eri/Aerial download her own memories from the prologue into Suletta's mind. If there really were multiple Eri clones sacrificed to complete the Aerial (accounting for the many different Eris Suletta encounters) her own memories might be an aggregate of the many Eri clones that preceded her or one consciousness that's been transferred over the network into new bodies after each death.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Darth Nichos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Interesting analysis; I happen to like Suletta and see the overwhelming potential in character development as the series goes on. Especially now that we are getting practically a blank slate with her
Spoiler
I am curious though to what kind of character Suletta will develop into: are we going to see a potential Char come about or a twisted Rau?

I mean at this point, Suletta has been horribly rejected by Everyone she has trusted at this point of her life as well as even being shown that her life was a lie. This has to have an emotional impact on her and I kind of want her to become the anti-hero of the series.

I also want to say that I'm getting rogue AI vibes from Aerial at this point and am wondering if that's the rival for Suletta in the future. I believe that Miorine taking Aerial to Earth as a show of force will horribly backfire given the Gundam's lack of empathy as seen in past incidents
NyxOne
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

There's a single, simple reason for why this plot hole you mentioned does not exist, and that is the simple fact that Miorine is not president and does not have these shares and is not married to Guel - he is still only her fiancé. Shaddiq himself, if memory serves, also explained this situation several episodes ago.
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Darth Nichos wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:36 pm Interesting analysis; I happen to like Suletta and see the overwhelming potential in character development as the series goes on. Especially now that we are getting practically a blank slate with her
Spoiler
I am curious though to what kind of character Suletta will develop into: are we going to see a potential Char come about or a twisted Rau?

I mean at this point, Suletta has been horribly rejected by Everyone she has trusted at this point of her life as well as even being shown that her life was a lie. This has to have an emotional impact on her and I kind of want her to become the anti-hero of the series.

I also want to say that I'm getting rogue AI vibes from Aerial at this point and am wondering if that's the rival for Suletta in the future. I believe that Miorine taking Aerial to Earth as a show of force will horribly backfire given the Gundam's lack of empathy as seen in past incidents
It'll definitely be interesting to see what Suletta develops into. I doubt she'll do anything dark or edgy unless someone pushes her to it... she's way too much of a people pleaser to hurt people of her own volition.

I find it a bit disappointing that we have a protagonist who's had no real character development nearly 20 episodes into the series... however long it ends up being. They really should have put more time into developing her to make her more interesting and relatable. Even now, the series feels like it's acknowledging it's struggling to find something to do with her.


NyxOne wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:44 pm There's a single, simple reason for why this plot hole you mentioned does not exist, and that is the simple fact that Miorine is not president and does not have these shares and is not married to Guel - he is still only her fiancé. Shaddiq himself, if memory serves, also explained this situation several episodes ago.
Um... I hate to say it, but that argument doesn't track at all with what's said in the show.

Even if we assume that what you've said here is true, the plot hole still exists because there should be:
  1. A large voting block of shares for Jeturk Heavy Machinery on that summation of the situation. From the start of the series, it's been established that Jeturk Heavy Machinery is the biggest, most profitable company in the Benerit Group at the time of the series and that it's one of three leading companies (alongside Grassley Defense Systems and Peil Technologies) that had enough shares in the Benerit Group to achieve majority control if they also acquired voting control of the shares owned by Delling Rembran. That alone should make this spread MUCH more even than 81-19.
  2. If we assume, against all evidence yet presented, that Miorine does not have voting control of Delling's shares in the event of death or incapacity then there should be a large block of votes marked as abstaining. It seems like the series forgot that that plot-critical block of votes even exists... a very strange turn considering it was the entire purpose of the Holder system that drove the first seventeen or so episodes.
But for some strange reason, this episode acts like Jeturk doesn't get any votes at all and seems to have forgotten Miorine probably has the voting control for Delling's shares while he's in hospital the way Shaddiq does for Grassley while Sarius is "missing".

Granted, you're right that they're only engaged and not married yet... but if you remember from the first story arc, Vim Jeturk's plan to seize control of the Benerit Group involved assassinating Delling while his son was Holder so that the whole contest would end immediately with Guel as her fiance and he would indirectly have his majority control over the Benerit Group.

Shaddiq's plan actually hinged on Miorine's voting control of Delling's shares. His first plan was to marry her himself, and his second was to cause a condition where NOBODY could secure a majority. He was aiming to have Shin Sei end up with Miorine's shares, which would massively increase the influence of Shin Sei but leave NOBODY in a position to secure a majority, ideally causing the Benerit Group to break up.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2924
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Speaking of Suletta's development, now I'm afraid that she might not survive the series...
Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:37 pm OK, hold on a second... I get that it's Gundam's usual trope that Gundam-type Mobile Suits have a distinctive appearance that marks them out as Gundams at a glance. That's the case in the UC, CE, AW, and AC timelines for sure. Ad Stella is not one of those timelines because "Gundam" in this timeline is a contraction of "GUND-ARM", which applies to any mobile weapon built around the GUND Format control system. You could make a MS that looks 100% identical to the Aerial and it wouldn't be a Gundam unless it was based on GUND technology.
Come to think of it, the scene would make more sense if Guel hand her its spec. My first impression was the present of shell unit, but the problem is that nobody can tell that Pharact is Gundam just by its look. We might see it clearer once we see the Schwarzette activate.
My girlfriend was a loli.
NyxOne
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:15 pm
NyxOne wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:44 pm There's a single, simple reason for why this plot hole you mentioned does not exist, and that is the simple fact that Miorine is not president and does not have these shares and is not married to Guel - he is still only her fiancé. Shaddiq himself, if memory serves, also explained this situation several episodes ago.
Um... I hate to say it, but that argument doesn't track at all with what's said in the show.

Even if we assume that what you've said here is true, the plot hole still exists because there should be:
  1. A large voting block of shares for Jeturk Heavy Machinery on that summation of the situation. From the start of the series, it's been established that Jeturk Heavy Machinery is the biggest, most profitable company in the Benerit Group at the time of the series and that it's one of three leading companies (alongside Grassley Defense Systems and Peil Technologies) that had enough shares in the Benerit Group to achieve majority control if they also acquired voting control of the shares owned by Delling Rembran. That alone should make this spread MUCH more even than 81-19.
  2. If we assume, against all evidence yet presented, that Miorine does not have voting control of Delling's shares in the event of death or incapacity then there should be a large block of votes marked as abstaining. It seems like the series forgot that that plot-critical block of votes even exists... a very strange turn considering it was the entire purpose of the Holder system that drove the first seventeen or so episodes.
But for some strange reason, this episode acts like Jeturk doesn't get any votes at all and seems to have forgotten Miorine probably has the voting control for Delling's shares while he's in hospital the way Shaddiq does for Grassley while Sarius is "missing".

Granted, you're right that they're only engaged and not married yet... but if you remember from the first story arc, Vim Jeturk's plan to seize control of the Benerit Group involved assassinating Delling while his son was Holder so that the whole contest would end immediately with Guel as her fiance and he would indirectly have his majority control over the Benerit Group.

Shaddiq's plan actually hinged on Miorine's voting control of Delling's shares. His first plan was to marry her himself, and his second was to cause a condition where NOBODY could secure a majority. He was aiming to have Shin Sei end up with Miorine's shares, which would massively increase the influence of Shin Sei but leave NOBODY in a position to secure a majority, ideally causing the Benerit Group to break up.
The mistake you're making is thinking this contest is decided by shares when it isn't. Yes, controlling Delling's stake will give a sizeable boon to whatever company's scion that's married to Miorine, but I don't recall anything that specifically says that this face-off is taking shares into consideration nor has it been suggested that Miorine has personal control of this share pile. The 81-19 split reflects the votes already cast between Grassley and GUND-ARM support bases specifically, not shares. Jeturk hasn't elected to support GUND-ARM in full despite Guel assuming the role of fiancee again, anyway; there was a scene in this very episode that showed that he wasn't successfully drumming up support from within the company at the level that matters on a corporate scale. I think you're looking at this the wrong way.

The Holder, or their affiliated company, obtains Delling's share pool upon marrying Miorine. I don't think this has once been contradicted by anything else, and as you say, that's what Vim's plan was - assassinate Delling, presumably from there force Guel and Miorine to tie the knot, and through Jeturk accessing that stake, Vim acquires Delling's shares. This seems an entirely different matter.
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

NyxOne wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 am The mistake you're making is thinking this contest is decided by shares when it isn't. Yes, controlling Delling's stake will give a sizeable boon to whatever company's scion that's married to Miorine, but I don't recall anything that specifically says that this face-off is taking shares into consideration nor has it been suggested that Miorine has personal control of this share pile.
... so I'm guessing you have no experience with corporate governance?

In a joint-stock company, members of the Board of Directors (and occasionally other key positions) are elected by the shareholders.

Ownership of shares is what confers the right to a vote in those matters. Corporate bylaws and national laws vary a bit, but the international standard is that 1 share = 1 vote. If you own multiple shares, you get as many votes as you have shares of that company. The reason that Grassley Defense Systems, Jeturk Heavy Machinery, and Peil Technologies wield so much power in the Benerit Group is that each of them owns a substantial block of stock in the Benerit Group Corporation holding company and therefore wield a lot of power in selecting board members and in matters that have to be put to a general vote. Delling Rembran also owns a rather substantial block of shares that he put up as the trophy-by-proxy to be awarded to the Holder. The series repeatedly established that if any one of the Three Houses (Grassley, Jeturk, or Peil) were to finish with one of its scions as the Holder, they would possess a big enough block of shares to secure majority control over the Benerit Group.

So yes, this contest will quite literally be decided by shares... because the shareholders are voting for the next head of the Benerit Group Corporation, the holding company that administrates the ~157 companies of the group.


NyxOne wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 am The 81-19 split reflects the votes already cast between Grassley and GUND-ARM support bases specifically, not shares.
Putting aside the fact that shares = votes... this is also explicitly labeled as a forecast not an actual result.

The document is literally titled "Benerit Group Presidential Election Strength Forecast".


NyxOne wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:29 am Jeturk hasn't elected to support GUND-ARM in full despite Guel assuming the role of fiancee again, anyway; there was a scene in this very episode that showed that he wasn't successfully drumming up support from within the company at the level that matters on a corporate scale.
This is also incorrect... both because said document is a forecast not a result, and for reasons of how Jeturk Heavy Machinery is set up.

Of the Three Houses, Jeturk Heavy Machinery is the only one that is a family-owned business. As of this most recent episode, Guel Jeturk is officially serving as the CEO of Jeturk Heavy Machinery and would wield the voting power of the Jeturk company's shares of the Benerit Group as well as any private stake previously owned by his father.

Why Jeturk Heavy Machinery is missing from this forecast document entirely is unexplained... and inexplicable, given that Jeturk has every reason to support Miorine and should, based on previous statements made in the series, be able to win the election outright using the shares held by Miorine via her father Delling.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Kuruni wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:19 am Come to think of it, the scene would make more sense if Guel hand her its spec. My first impression was the present of shell unit, but the problem is that nobody can tell that Pharact is Gundam just by its look. We might see it clearer once we see the Schwarzette activate.
Speaking of Pharact,
Spoiler
I wonder if now would be a good time for Elan #5 to have an emphatic heart-to-heart with Suletta, now that she knows the truth about Aerial and her own history.
I know she doesn't have a lot of reason to trust him considering how creepy he was towards her, but if anyone could reach out to Suletta and put a perspective on what she's going through, it's him.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Darth Nichos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Spoiler
At this point, I'd be surprised if someone like Elan and Shaddiq didn't reach out to Suletta given the emotional state she is currently in.

The question though is what she brings to the table knowledge wise; if she fully understands what she is, that getting out might be a little devastating since it allows the secret of Aerial's uniqueness compared to other Gundams to get out. That might lead someone to replicate that trait for their Gundam
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

BrentD15 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:29 pm Speaking of Pharact,
Spoiler
I wonder if now would be a good time for Elan #5 to have an emphatic heart-to-heart with Suletta, now that she knows the truth about Aerial and her own history.
I know she doesn't have a lot of reason to trust him considering how creepy he was towards her, but if anyone could reach out to Suletta and put a perspective on what she's going through, it's him.
Spoiler
I'd assume the main thing stopping him is going to be that he's a dead man if Peil Technologies gets ahold of him.

Earth House probably isn't a safe place for him to go, since Peil Technologies holds a lot of sway there as one of the Three Houses and Earth House is also the de facto premises of one of Peil's business partners (GUND-ARM Inc.). They're probably watching the grounds for an opportunity to grab him for a "debriefing" and a quick side trip to the incinerator Elan #4 ended his career in.
Darth Nichos wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm
Spoiler
At this point, I'd be surprised if someone like Elan and Shaddiq didn't reach out to Suletta given the emotional state she is currently in.

The question though is what she brings to the table knowledge wise; if she fully understands what she is, that getting out might be a little devastating since it allows the secret of Aerial's uniqueness compared to other Gundams to get out. That might lead someone to replicate that trait for their Gundam
Spoiler
Probably next to nothing.

Remember, Suletta had no idea the Aerial was even a Gundam until her mother told her so during the Benerit Group's "incubation party". She had zero clue how the Aerial worked, and may have sincerely believed her mother's whopper about the Aerial being run on next-gen drone technology. Despite all she's said about the Aerial being family to her, she doesn't seem to have been aware of the literal ghost in the machine (presumably thinking it was just an AI) until it force-fed her an exposition dump, told her to GTFO, and tossed her ass out into space.

Whether any of the people Prospera shared the Aerial's data with actually got a complete or accurate picture of the Aerial's computer design, details about how the "perfected" GUND Format works, or information about how Prospera managed to transfer her daughter's consciousness into the data storm network of the Lfrith prototype is unclear. Suletta definitely doesn't know, though... and whether it was a freak accident caused by Ericht being able to interface with the Lfrith or something else is unclear too.

There is one particularly unpleasant detail hiding in that scene though. If you look at Suletta when she's getting the exposition dump from Ericht, her subcutaneous permet is glowing red... meaning she isn't being shielded from the damaging effects of data storms. Apparently the Aerial's own "perfected" GUND can decide whether or not to shield the user from lethally injurious data storms.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Darth Nichos wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:25 pm
Spoiler
At this point, I'd be surprised if someone like Elan and Shaddiq didn't reach out to Suletta given the emotional state she is currently in.

The question though is what she brings to the table knowledge wise; if she fully understands what she is, that getting out might be a little devastating since it allows the secret of Aerial's uniqueness compared to other Gundams to get out. That might lead someone to replicate that trait for their Gundam
I mean...
Spoiler
It's not like the Elans are strangers to the notion of "child sacrifice" for their Gundams.
Shaddiq, on the other hand, is a more interesting case.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Janx
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Spoiler
I could see Shaddiq swooping in but not because of any supportive reasons. He's not omnipotent and probably would want to see if Suleta has anything he can use against Miorine/Prospera.

Heck now that suletta knows her 'safe' gundam is powered by babies, Shaddiq could use it to discredit GUND-ARM.

Heck even just gaining Suletta as his ally could get under the skin of the Mio faction.
User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2924
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Janx wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Spoiler
Heck now that suletta knows her 'safe' gundam is powered by babies, Shaddiq could use it to discredit GUND-ARM.
Funny, I suspect Suletta will uses the knowledge for Guel and Mirione instead.
Spoiler
Likely by use herself as Eri's knock-off so Guel can safely pilot the Schwarzette (à la Ein's method) against whatever the last opponent is.
Speaking of Schwarzette, if it has hand bits like Darilbalde then I want to see it use it 'properly" as rocket punch.
My girlfriend was a loli.
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Janx wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Spoiler
I could see Shaddiq swooping in but not because of any supportive reasons. He's not omnipotent and probably would want to see if Suleta has anything he can use against Miorine/Prospera.

Heck now that suletta knows her 'safe' gundam is powered by babies, Shaddiq could use it to discredit GUND-ARM.
Spoiler
Could he, though?

Remember, Miorine is adamant that GUND-ARM Inc. is going to stick to the development medical prosthetics rather than branching out into weapons technology. That's why she's rejected using the Schwarzette for a PR stunt well she pursues the office of President of the Benerit Group.

Even if Suletta has to wherewithal to put two and two together and realize that the thing that made the Aerial safe for her to use was that it was powered by a forsaken child, it's no real problem for Miorine who can dismiss it with the fact that GUND is verifiably safe to use in medical prosthetics. It's only dangerous when it's used to control mobile suits and her company isn't in that business.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
User avatar
Ryujin
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:43 am
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Welp, that whole Eri transfer hypothesis ended up DOA.

Can't participate this week as all my attention's on ongoing RL concerns, but I have to say that
Spoiler
this politically-expedient Earth junket is such a caustic witches' brew where anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. And there's a lot that can go wrong.

Shaddiq can have a DoF 'rioter' take a potshot at Miorine, Prospera can initiate a malfunction in whatever Kenanji's riding, Eri might not have a clue about the concept of 'discretionary use of force' & has a Euphie moment, etc.

Speaking of which, one of the things that Eri's habit of dismembering her opponents reminds me of is how children would remove the limbs from insects for various reasons (I did it with a lens to satisfy my scientific curiosity, honest).
User avatar
Kuruni
Posts: 2924
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:43 am
Location: sitting next to a yandere loli
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

As expected, facal matter hit a fan and both factions in Benerit Group suffer. Although I'm completely missed about Kenanji's and Eri's roles.

Again, this episode is more like IBO in tone, to be specific, the Dort Colonies protest arc.

Secelia only mess with Martin and ultimately help him make up his mind. Seriously, Till is an awesome character. Consider his track record, it's almost like he's holding back something. It's also good to see Suletta has Amuro's moment at the end of MSG without being blatant.
Spoiler
Norea finally break, and Elan#5 sympathy with her. To tell the truth, I expected them and Nika to become odd acquaintances by now, being together in the same room for days. But I guess only Elan#5 ever relax there.
BTW, this episode has some really nice focus shots on girls' legs, something I'm not complain.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Darth Nichos
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

What happened in this episode was to be expected and I have to say that Miorine does not have my sympathy; its what she gets for letting a fanatical snake like Prospera influence her

I'm hoping this will convince Miorine to kick or imprison Suletta's mother before she does even more damage; though if she can do it on her own will be the question

As for Suletta: Whose side will she take?
User avatar
Seto Kaiba
Posts: 2223
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:18 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

All in all, my hopes are not high going into this episode.

It's endlessly baffling to me that anyone puts any trust in Prospera Mercury. She's a Char clone, but she's such an unsubtle one that she's operating semi-permanently in "blame this on the misfortune of your birth" mode. It's all but impossible to feel bad for the people she backstabs, in no small part because she's announcing her untrustworthiness in advance and telegraphing the incoming betrayal so profoundly that it feels less like "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" and more like a new verse for the song "Dumb Ways to Die".

Given what happened last episode, I'm kind of expecting this episode is going to validate everything negative I've said about Miorine being so spoiled and so privileged that she's incapable of processing how spoiled and privileged she is.
Spoiler
The episode opens on a rather odd looking transport craft that's ferrying Miorine and Guel to the orbital permet lift? Or is it itself the orbital permet lift?

Guel reminds Miorine she always wanted to go to Earth. Kenanji apparently doesn't like Earth because its gravity makes him really feel the weight of his... weight. Miorine remarks on Guel's character growth, which I guess is fine given that he's the only one who's actually had any, and he then says that he can't trust her to handle negotiations alone... which is perfectly reasonable, given that Miorine has proven staggeringly easy to manipulate in the series so far. Guel's giving off main character vibes far more than either Suletta or Miorine, and has been ever since his time on Earth.

Aerial's making reentry alone, in a container. Prospera's right hand man is worried the Space Assembly League may have figured out what's going on but she isn't worried.

Not unexpectedly, Suletta seems to have suffered the EMOTIONAL DAMAGE version of a critical hit last episode and is quite depressed. She's up in her room at Earth House laying in the dark and refusing meals. Their head boy, meanwhile, is apparently being blackmailed into being the dogsbody for the girl in Bulion House. He's painting her toenails for her while she mocks him. He has an emotional breakdown over it, because he didn't want Earth House's position to get worse. She's giving him actual advice? And candy?

How exactly does this orbital permet lift work? It looks like they just drop a container in orbit and it just falls into a silo on Earth. Neatly enough that they dock to a rail for the rest of the descent!

Miorine, meanwhile, is part of an armed motorcade and she's complaining loudly about the escort... you'd think the top student in mangaement might have a better concept of her position, especially given that she's come to Earth specifically to negotiate an end to an armed uprising. She can't really be so dumb that she misses the fact that she and Guel are pretty much ideal hostages? Delling's daughter and the new CEO of Jeturk. Leave it to our boy Kenanji to point out that the people living in the blasted wasteland they're driving through are unlikely to be particularly reasonable in dealing with the daughter of the chief architect of their oppression. The fences around their camps are generously papered with signs condemning the oppression of the Spacian ruling class. Prospera rolls up in the Aerial...

Back in space, Peil's co-CEOs are telling Real!Elan about the situation and he remarks that if she actually used the Aerial to suppress the rioting she'd gain a lot of support. Shaddiq points out that she'd never actually do it.

Belmiria's having a chat with the Space Assembly League agent over tea, and the agent casually reveals the Space Assembly League is planning to "forcibly suppress" the Benerit Group. She points out that if the Benerit Group loses its position of power, Belmiria will likely be scapegoated for her role in breaking the Cathedra Agreement that banned the use of GUND.

Miorine has arrived at the venue, which is fronted by a large group of protestors demanding they leave. She, for some reason, assumes that they're unarmed (probably a BAD idea). A kid bumps into Guel and tries an old tourist scam, and is dragged off by the security forces. Guel, for some odd reason, decides to go return the kid's hat and leave Miorine to her own devices (bad idea). Miorine tries to shake hands with the Eartian reps at the meeting and is snubbed immediately. In the meeting itself, we get exactly what I expected. Miorine displays her staggering ignorance by trying to placate the Earth representatives with the promise of a new development facility in Quinharbor and they change the topic to the more than 1,500 people the Benerit Group security forces have forcibly detained and even tortured. They confront her on her ignorance of that, on how the Benerit Group's monopolization of permet and use of war partitioning to keep the war economy going have put an enormous burden on Earth. They even declare their intent to continue their armed resistance. Their demand is for all spacians to leave Earth.

Back in space, Lauda is reaming some employee about the Schwarzette... he's told (incorrectly) that it's some kind of joint venture with GUND-ARM.

In Grassley's hidey-hole for Dawn of Fold, the other Gundam pilot is having a breakdown and throws her notebook. Reinforced Person 5 picks it up and sees her pencil sketch art of Earth's nature, only for her to freak out further and assault him. She breaks down crying over the death of the other Lfrith pilot, which Reinforced Person 5 seems to not only understand but sympathize with.

Miorine's watching the GUND-ARM PV on her phone during a break, and is summoned back to the meeting. She's brought the prototype legs based upon GUND technology to show. She confronts them about their demand that Spacians leave Earth, and notes that Earthians would also have to leave space. She rejects that demand, because she claims she doesn't want to lose her valuable partners (in GUND-ARM). She at least admits that she's ignorant of everything the Earthians are actually facing but nevertheless wants to continue the talks. They quite reasonably point out that they have no actual reason to trust her, since she has no actual authority to make deals on the Benerit Group's behalf. She asks if they'd trust her if she became the group's president, and they tell her they can't engage in negotiations with her yet... but they offer an olive branch in the form of suspending their protests for ten days until the election is over.

Suletta, meanwhile, finally gets out of bed and raids the fridge... only to be caught by Chuchu and dragged bodily into the kitchen to have breakfast with everyone else. Their brief moment of happiness is derailed by the head boy barging in and dropping the truth bomb that Nika is an agent of a terrorist group and that he reported her. Suletta tries to defend Nika by saying she was trying to stop the other terrorists... but it feels like they're all kind of dancing around the whole "more than a dozen students DIED" situation. They sent him to go clean the stables.

Guel meets with the kid who bumped into him, and the kid sort-of thanks him for digging a proper grave for the girl who died in his arms during his last visit to Earth. It turns out the kid - a refugee - is hoping to get into a Grassley-run school that operates as a meritocracy. The kid starts talking about "The Prince" (Shaddiq), having unintentionally revealed that Shaddiq is the covert sponsor of Dawn of Fold. Rather than wait to tell them in person, Guel very sensibly immediately calls Miorine to tell her Shaddiq Zenneli is the architect of the Plant Quetta and Rumble Ring attacks. She asks Guel to return to Asticassia to find Sarius Zenneli as evidence of Shaddiq's role in the attacks. Kenanji calls Prospera and tells him they'll be leaving early. She activates a bunch of weapons secreted in a container outside town, and we finally get to see a taste of what the permet hijack which the Quiet Zero is probably meant to carry out can do.

She hijacks the controls of a tank into attacking the Aerial. Prospera uses that as an excuse to leave, and collects a beam rifle that's been send down to her. She snubs a call from Miorine, and uses the weapons she just acquired to break into what appears to be an old Ochs Earth facility where trial production Lfriths are being held. Belmiria is confronted with the fact that the two Gundams that attacked Plant Quetta and the Rumble Ring came from Ochs Earth, which is still operating covertly with the support of the Space Assembly League. Prospera uses the Aerial's beam rifle to destroy those Lfriths, the explosions of which kick off the Earthians attacking the escort detail protecting Miorine.

Under fire from multiple sides, the Benerit Group forces panic and return fire, leading to the Earth delegates walking out on her believing that she had tricked them.

Prospera's right hand man catches the Space Assembly League agents trying to extract Belmiria and guns the woman down.

Everyone in space gets a moment to react to what happened, with Elan saying it was just as he predicted, Lauda furious, Earth house shocked, and Shaddiq upset that Prospera Mercury figured them out. Miorine's visit has ended in the opposite of her intended objective, with more organizations joining the Earthian armed resistance.
OK, yeah... judged that one to a nicety. :|

Much like how the previous episode was a validation of every criticism I'd leveled at how Suletta is written, this episode did the same for Miorine. It was, at least, gentler than the brutal Your Services Are No Longer Required speech Suletta got from the Aerial... and I'm not sure that's a good thing, both for the story and for Miorine as a character. Miorine definitely needed a harsher wake-up call to her own failings, rather than simply taking the blame for fighting someone else started. Her trip to Earth was itself painfully naive, much like her attempts to run away to Earth earlier in the series, but this episode is a huge missed opportunity for growth on her part.
Spoiler
Namely, the missed opportunity was having her directly confront how privileged she is as the only daughter of the wealthiest man in space and how that life of the most obscene privilege has skewed her view of literally everything. She has always gotten her own way by wielding her father's authority as though it were her own.

This episode stops frustratingly short of calling her on it on three separate occasions.

The first is when the Earth representatives snub her offer of a handshake and her hope that they can discuss matters as equals. They show a lot of restraint in not calling her out on that tone-deaf move and only giving her a look of disgust, but it would have been a good opportunity to establish to her that she's there as a representative of the mega-corporate monopoly that created and maintains the crushing economic inequality that's a major cause of the armed violence she wants to negotiate an end to.

The second is when she attempts to open negotiations with an offer to locate another Benerit Group facility in Quinharbor. She so completely and totally misjudged the situation as a whole that her opening move was to attempt to appease the Earthians who were rioting because they're being oppressed by Spacian private security forces loyal to the Spacian megacorp responsible for keeping them in destitute squalor by offering them an opportunity to generate more wealth for that Spacian megacorp. They change the topic to the number of people arrested and tortured by Benerit's security forces and briefly gloss the other systems of control the Benerit Group uses to generate its obscene wealth from Earthian suffering, but at no point does anyone really point out to Miorine how incredibly tone-deaf and offensive her offer was to them or why.

The third is when they point out to Miorine that they really have no actual reason to negotiate with her, because she has no real power to decide any course of action for the Benerit Group as a whole. That was a golden opportunity to point out how hopelessly out-of-touch she is, having come and expected to be taken seriously as a negotiator when she has no power to actually make commitments on the group's behalf.
Every time the series gets close to confronting Miorine with the subject of just how much of her BS is only possible because of her daddy's fabulous wealth and power or how out-of-touch she is with the world everyone else lives in because of it, it chickens out.

Prospera is... at this point, it seems like she's playing every side against the middle. She's announced her ill intent towards Delling and the Benerit Group, but here she seems to have just as much hate for...
Spoiler
... the surviving remnants of the Volkfangr Institute's old parent company, Ochs Earth. She seems downright OFFENDED by the existence of that bunker full of trial production Gundam Lfriths and destroys them with the Aerial's beam rifle, presumably putting a decent-sized dent in the plans of the Earthians, the Space Assembly League, Dawn of Fold, and the organziation's sponsor Shaddiq Zenneli.
Her motivation never seems to remain consistent episode-to-episode, and with the next episode being the 21st (not counting the recap) you'd think we'd have gotten a clear idea of what she's about by now.

With how uneven the writing can be, and how character motivations flipflop so often, it reminds me a bit of the movie Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which did such a poor job of meshing its A plot and B plot that it felt like watching two unrelated stories that happened to be shot using the same actors and sets.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
User avatar
BrentD15
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Spoiler
Well, in addition to being treated to the sight of Suletta eating food like a raccoon from a trashcan, we have once again been proven right that Prospera was using Miorine for her own ends.
Also, Shaddiq sounds like a total incel. "Guel, you defiled her!" Absolute simp.

As for Suletta, it seems to imply that she isn't going to be her mom's puppet anymore, and she doesn't like that Miorine is the scapegoat for this.
How long before she dies, too?
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
User avatar
Omega
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:21 pm
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:26 pm OK, yeah... judged that one to a nicety. :|

Much like how the previous episode was a validation of every criticism I'd leveled at how Suletta is written, this episode did the same for Miorine. It was, at least, gentler than the brutal Your Services Are No Longer Required speech Suletta got from the Aerial... and I'm not sure that's a good thing, both for the story and for Miorine as a character. Miorine definitely needed a harsher wake-up call to her own failings, rather than simply taking the blame for fighting someone else started. Her trip to Earth was itself painfully naive, much like her attempts to run away to Earth earlier in the series, but this episode is a huge missed opportunity for growth on her part.
The only reason I can see them not calling her out on this directly is for one of two things.
Spoiler
1) They plan on having Prospera dig Miorine's proverbial grave deeper here somehow

or...

2) She's gonna realize it herself considering the episode ended with Miorine in what looks like a jail cell

I wouldn't put either past them at this point, unless they have them actually call her out next episode considering she's at the Earthian's mercy. My only question is, will Suletta realize that with what just happened, that the Aerial's fate is likely sealed, or will she naively think she can get it back.
As for an earlier point I saw you bring up for last week's episode...
Spoiler
Shaddiq's undermined Jeturk's credibility already by tying them to Plant Quetta with the Desultors back in the first half of the show, on top of their reliable Dilanza being defeated twice, by Suletta and Elan Four respectively, on top of the Darilbalde's first defeat against the Aerial, all three of those losses were at Guel's hands. So it could be less anything else and more the investors don't trust him yet and thus won't support him until he proves himself (It seems the Darilbalde's rematch wasn't enough to accomplish it in this case). Which I get is an obvious point, but it makes sense in a way too. Otherwise it's way too obvious a plot hole, as you said.
Post Reply