Railgun Type Weapons

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
MythSearcher

Re: Railgun Type Weapons

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:03 pm True, though there are ways to suppress muzzle flashes... and railguns in a vacuum are going to be naturally less inclined to produce once since the system has no flammable/explosive propellant driving the shell.
yes, but in the current state, railguns will produce a lot of heat and heat is very obvious in space unless you are near a planet or happens to be in front of a star.
Of course, "great distances" is relative and ability to change direction is going to be dependent on things like the ship's inertial mass, speed, and other considerations like orbital mechanics.

Leaving aside coilguns, which are often incorrectly conflated with railguns despite working on different principles, there are approaches to railguns in the real world that do not suffer from that particular friction problem. Plasma armature railguns do not have the projectile in physical contact with its rails, using instead a vaporizing metallic foil to establish an electrical arc across the projectile and keep it suspended in the middle of the barrel. The helical railgun also offers some promise in that area, though it is not yet practical with real world technology, being a synthesis of railgun and coilgun technology.

(The problem of heating the projectile itself can be mitigated with a discarding sabot.)
thus I'm talking about hitting more manoeuvrable things like MS, space fighters.
but I still doubt railguns can be accurately hitting things more than a thousand km away in space.
you still have higher recoil and depends more on the rail's integrity to be accurate, but at the same time you are putting a lot of heat and stress on that very rail by rubbing the projectile or at least the sabot against it every time you fire.
probably at least need to be firing things like missiles for self correction.

All told, that suggests that the laser technology in the Universal Century's probably little more advanced than what we had when the series was first made. (This also has some rather unpleasant safety implications for shipboard laser systems, since the most efficient gain mediums available in a conventional weapons-grade laser system are unpleasantly toxic substances like fluoridated deuterium.)

Mind you, it's not that they didn't need that range anymore... it's that Minovsky particles made it impossible to shoot accurately at distances of more than a few tens of kilometers and conveniently degraded laser and guided missile systems to the point of uselessness. Minovsky particles conveniently made it so that Minovsky particles were the only viable weapon for "long" ranged space combat.
back in the 70's the anime creators were probably still thinking about liquid nitrogen cooled infrared or red lasers.
Seto Kaiba

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm yes, but in the current state, railguns will produce a lot of heat and heat is very obvious in space unless you are near a planet or happens to be in front of a star.
True, though it's not likely to stand out significantly from the body of the ship carrying it... spacecraft can get quite hot when they're exposed to solar radiation with no quick way to dissipate that heat.

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm thus I'm talking about hitting more manoeuvrable things like MS, space fighters.
Granted, those would be harder to hit... but mainly because naval cannons are designed to engage enemy warships not small craft like fighters.

In the real world and in fiction, defending a warship from enemy aircraft or aircraft analogues is typically the job of friendly aircraft, point-defense guns, and certain flavors of guided missile that are able to address small targets with more flexibility than a warship's main battery.

A fighter-mounted railgun is going to have less barrel length and less power behind it, meaning it's going to be used at shorter distances and aimed more flexibly so a smaller target won't be as big of an issue. The RGM-79F's railguns were as devastatingly effective as they were when used in lieu of beam weapons because they were repurposed naval cannons meant for anti-warship use being wielded far more flexibly than normal and against targets far closer and with far lighter armor than anything they'd been designed for use against. It was comical levels of overkill, like hunting turkeys with a Barrett .50 cal.

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm but I still doubt railguns can be accurately hitting things more than a thousand km away in space.
It's all about muzzle velocity and leading the target. By the same token, I'd question the ability of a ship to see a railgun discharge from 1,000km away.

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm you still have higher recoil and depends more on the rail's integrity to be accurate, but at the same time you are putting a lot of heat and stress on that very rail by rubbing the projectile or at least the sabot against it every time you fire.
probably at least need to be firing things like missiles for self correction.
Or using any of several recoil mitigation strategies proposed for spacecraft like sealed-system heavy fluid cycles to provide an opposite force on the craft without expelling propellant.

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm back in the 70's the anime creators were probably still thinking about liquid nitrogen cooled infrared or red lasers.
From a 70's perspective they're likely thinking of real world high-powered laser technologies they're probably thinking about a gas dynamic laser or continuous wave chemical laser... which means not exactly enormous outputs, but also comes with the unpleasantness of gain media doped with toxic materials like fluorine or arsenic.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
D_I

I was looking through the Gundam wiki and apparently the Barzam Commander Custom uses something called a "Mega Particle Rail Cannon" and there wasn't any info I could find other than this type of Barzam having it. If anyone can figure out if this is from another MS or maybe even the specs of it that would be great.
(link to an image on the wiki below. ill see if I can translate it later)
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gunda ... 0318093740

The black rider also uses a railgun, the same one the GM Land Combat Type uses.
I'm besties with a DS Lite
D_I

The Gelgoog Marine Commander Type also has a railgun. I'll put what it says on the wiki here.

MMP-R00-D Electromagnetic Induction Projection Rifle
Developed by MS firearm manufacturer MMP near the end of the One Year War at Zeon's Granada base, this experimental rail rifle utilizes electromagnetic force to launch high velocity luna titanium bullets to inflict heavy damage. This handheld weapon only appears in the manga "Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Rebellion".

I'm not sure if the 0083 manga is canon or if this MS shows up in the anime with this weapon but if it does there's another railgun in canon U.C.

Here's a link to an image of it cause I don't know how to properly embed images
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gunda ... 0920050526
I'm besties with a DS Lite
Seto Kaiba

D_I wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:24 am I was looking through the Gundam wiki and apparently the Barzam Commander Custom uses something called a "Mega Particle Rail Cannon" and there wasn't any info I could find other than this type of Barzam having it. If anyone can figure out if this is from another MS or maybe even the specs of it that would be great.
It's a non-canonical design from a photonovel created for Hobby Japan magazine, so it's unlikely to have any real amount of detail. (Esp. since, in that story, it's another super-secret prototype never mentioned before or since.)

Also, the user who created that page back in 2012 clearly didn't translate it correctly because he merged the names of two separate weapons systems. Its armaments are actually:
  • Linear Railgun x1
  • Vulcan Cannon x1
  • Mega Particle Cannon (5.4MW) x1
Interestingly, it claims the railgun is a modified version of a weapon mounted on the Garuda-class... a transport aircraft that mounts exactly zero railguns.

The majority of that page talks only about what model kits were cannibalized to make the model photographed.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Seto Kaiba

D_I wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:48 am The Gelgoog Marine Commander Type also has a railgun.
Only in a non-canon manga... though that is actually described as a proper railgun that's throwing KEPs made of luna titanium.

Interestingly, it's noted as having the full complement of real-world railgun drawbacks. It requires a large external generator, it has an overheating problem, its barrel wears out quickly, and it's not capable of rapid fire.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Underrated GM Custom

D_I wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:48 am I'm not sure if the 0083 manga is canon or if this MS shows up in the anime with this weapon but if it does there's another railgun in canon U.C.
Canon is a tricky subject when it comes to Gundam. If you're interested in learning more I'd recommend Mark's threads for how Sunrise viewed canon.
Gundam: What's Official - viewtopic.php?t=7298
MS Encyclopedia: What's Official - viewtopic.php?t=15920

Regarding 0083 Rebellion manga, the railgun was used by the Gelgoog Commander to attack the Neue Ziel since a solid round is a great way to get through an I-Field.