Jerid's Newtype Power

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Jerid's Newtype Power

So exactly how strong of a Newtype was Jerid anyway? Clearly he's not up to Kamille or Sciroccos level, but how strong is he on his own? It's worth noting that all of Jerids units save for the Baund Doc were not made for Newtypes, even then the Baund Doc can be used by non Newtypes.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Jerid's Newtype Power

Mafty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:47 am So exactly how strong of a Newtype was Jerid anyway? Clearly he's not up to Kamille or Sciroccos level, but how strong is he on his own?
As far as I'm aware, they never actually confirm Jerid is a newtype.

Considering his entire schtick is failure and being a failure it seems unlikely that he would be a newtype and not just someone arrogant enough to incorrectly believe they were a newtype.

It's noted that the Baund Doc is not even strictly a newtype machine and that it can be used by non-newtypes with some adjustments to the control software and removal of psycommu hardware.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

True, all we really get are some vague hints (
Spoiler
Like him communicating with Mouar's sprit)
. However all of this is rather vague, and I agree it's certainly possible Jerid isn't actually a Newtype.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:44 pm True, all we really get are some vague hints (
Spoiler
Like him communicating with Mouar's sprit)
. However all of this is rather vague, and I agree it's certainly possible Jerid isn't actually a Newtype.
I've read that the novel version of Zeta Gundam did offer a better argument for Jerid being a newtype by putting him in Bask Om's newtype unit for the final battle... but having never read the novels myself, I can't verify that. Whether he was inducted into that unit because he was actually a newtype or was just there out of convenience to get his hands on a Baund Doc...

However, based on the TV anime and A New Translation it seems very unlikely that Jerid Mesa is a newtype. Commentary on the movie version suggested that Jerid was thematically meant to be a polar opposite to Ideal Newtype Kamille Bidan, and his particular motif and motivation in the story is his feelings of inadequacy. It wouldn't make much sense for him to be even a weak newtype. After all, he dies due to what's basically a failure of situational awareness... being propelled into the explosion of the Radish.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:53 pm I've read that the novel version of Zeta Gundam did offer a better argument for Jerid being a newtype by putting him in Bask Om's newtype unit for the final battle... but having never read the novels myself, I can't verify that. Whether he was inducted into that unit because he was actually a newtype or was just there out of convenience to get his hands on a Baund Doc...

However, based on the TV anime and A New Translation it seems very unlikely that Jerid Mesa is a newtype. Commentary on the movie version suggested that Jerid was thematically meant to be a polar opposite to Ideal Newtype Kamille Bidan, and his particular motif and motivation in the story is his feelings of inadequacy. It wouldn't make much sense for him to be even a weak newtype. After all, he dies due to what's basically a failure of situational awareness... being propelled into the explosion of the Radish.
According to the Japanese Wiki: さらにヒルダ・ビダンの殺害時の反応、アポロ作戦でのシロッコに対する感覚、ゼダンの門の方向にいるゼータの気配を感じ取るなど、作中ニュータイプの可能性を示唆する描写もある。また「オールドタイプは失せろ!」といった、自分のニュータイプ性を確信したような台詞もある(このセリフ自体は既に型落ち機であるジムIIに当てられたものである可能性もあるが)。他にもニュータイプ専用機バウンド・ドックが最後の搭乗機であり、小説版ではその際ニュータイプ部隊に編入されている。東京お台場のテーマパーク「ガンダムフロント東京」のニュータイプの人物を展示するコーナーではジェリドも展示されている。
Mafty

Thank you, using Google Translate adds more analysis.
Spoiler
Jerid reacts to Hilda's death, before he'd realized what has happened. He sensed Scirocco in Operation Apollo, and the Zeta at the Gate. As for the Novel version more emphasis is placed on Jerids Baund Doc's Newtype abilities.
Plus Jerid is stated to be part of a Newtype display at Gundam Front.

So it really seems like Jerid is a weak Newtype, and more focus is put on this in the novelization.

That being said, it is interesting to see a major UC character who isn't a Newtype, and like Kaiba said, it makes him a contrast to Kamille.