The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Ryujin

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

It's been confirmed that, as of
Spoiler
the start of the 2nd half, Delling is still alive 2 weeks after the Quetta incident & is currently at the Benerit Group HQ with Miorine.

It must get awkward when she receives those three daily e-mails.
Kuruni

Ryujin wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 pm It's been confirmed that, as of
Spoiler
the start of the 2nd half, Delling is still alive 2 weeks after the Quetta incident & is currently at the Benerit Group HQ with Miorine.

It must get awkward when she receives those three daily e-mails.
Would be cool if we see Mirione space out and Suletta snaps her out with simple desk slam (and cause the poor girl PTSD).
My girlfriend was a loli.
Seto Kaiba

I can't say I'm looking forward to Part II of this series. The writing has been consistently weak, the two main characters are painfully unlikeable, and there's no real sense of direction to the story.

If it weren't Gundam and therefore Too Big To Fail, I'd suspect it never would've gotten a Part II.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

IMO the second season looks better than the first.
Spoiler
The stakes seem to be higher and we seem to see actual combat on the Earth itself. A big problem I had with the first season was the fact that the story took too long to actually move forward despite it's interesting premise. The second seasons move into open warfare seems like it will solve some of these issues. Granted there are still a few issues with the character dynamics that need to be focused on as well.
Underrated GM Custom

I'll give it a shot, the first part certainly had its shortcoming but I'm hoping the next part will turn into a fun popcorn series like Geass R2 was :lol:
Kuruni

Well, I actually like the show so far and regardless of its flaw, the plot hook about Aerial's secret is interesting enough.

Plus, Kazama Iroha's reaction to the show is very hilarious.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I wish there had been some sort of time skip and the characters had been a few years older for the second season.
Guess not
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
DragoMaster009

Well the characters in this show honestly have more presence (for lack of a better word at this time) than any of the ones from the Build series that I can recall. On that note, I think I just figured out why I never could get into that particular subseries: After seeing so many of those MS blasting each other with high stakes in the background, going from that to dinky action figures in a Robot Wars knockoff with halfbaked plotting is honestly kind of a let down. Look don't get me wrong, the mecha and the music used is good and has some decent cinematography, but the rest can go jump in a lake.

EDIT:
Just remembered another issue it has, it takes the Shout-Out bits from Turn-A and turns them up to eleven (and beyond in some cases). Hard to get into something when it keeps barraging you with stuff like "remember this figure" or "doesn't this rifle shot bring back memories?".
Kuruni

S2 start with five Duel in row, and they end trivially.
Spoiler
With Sophie's words, I guess Duel will be hit by So Last Season trope.
I like how they pretty much pass the open campus event like it's slide show from a recap episode and the plot keep moving on otherwise. Guess they're aware there's no time to waste anymore.
Seto Kaiba

All right, let's find out if a short break between seasons was enough for the G-Witch staff to learn how to write...
Spoiler
So, we're just forgetting about what happened last episode then? Not picking up that rather overt dangling plot thread at all?

We open on an Elan Ceres narrating the preparations for a "serial" duel. As flamboyant as he's being, one has to wonder if this is the real Elan Ceres or if the new body double's just a large ham.

'bout the only meaningful piece of information we get out of this sequence is that the Mobile Suits in this era are apparently battery-powered, when Aerial's ground crew mentions after its first curb stomping that it has plenty of battery charge left. That and the fact that the Holder literally cannot decline a duel and has to duel at least once every two weeks as long as there's a challenger.

Suletta and the Aerial effortlessly win five duels in a row against nobodies before the opening credits. None of them are the slightest bit interesting. The Aerial and its perfected GUND Format outclass everything else by such an enormous margin that the Aerial can spam GUND-bits at everyone to never take damage. Kind of a neat little microcosm of the series thus far... a bland, lifeless affair full of privileged brats kicking down at people who are beneath them socially or economically.

The Plant Quetta incident gets brought up, but apparently it's been hushed up by the Benerit Group so the media coverage it trivial and even most of the students who were there seem to think it was no big deal. Suletta seems entirely unfazed by the fact that she straight-up MURDERED a dude by turning him into a red paste with the Aerial's hand as she's comforting background characters. Bear in mind, the people she's comforting by telling them she and the Aerial are there for them were likely part of the team scrubbing that dude's pulverized remains out of the Aerial's hand! They even say Suletta's in good spirits... despite, or perhaps because, Miorine's using her as an errand girl again.

Delling Rembran's still alive and recovering from a spinal injury he suffered at Plant Quetta.

Shaddiq is giving a report to a closed session of representative CEOs from the Three Houses. Lauda Neil's standing in for the deceased Vim Jeturk, and the four co-CEOs of Peil Technologies are giving Lauda the business because Jeturk Mobile Suits were used in the attack. The Lfrith Ur and the Lfrith Thorn are identified as Gundams based on their permet signatures. Looks like the Benerit Group's private army is launching an attack on Earth itself to bring Dawn of Fold to justice (presumably to cover up the Zenneli family's involvement in arming them). In private, Shaddiq denies that he's had any knowledge of where the Gundams came from and is ordered not to leave Asticassia, duel, or take part in company business.

Suletta has a phone call with her mom and at least shows some small amount of regret for turning a dude into chunky salsa. This poor kid is just so gaslit that it's disgusting. Nika seems worried that someone will discover her ties to Dawn of Fold.

And the two Dawn of Fold Gundam pilots are Asticassia students now? They can't even seem to come up with a convincing cover story to be there... admitting they only came to meet Suletta. Apparently Shaddiq got them admission using a dummy corporation set up by Grassley Defense Systems. Nika confronts one of them about it.

... and then a school festival montage? Elan tries to ask Suletta out and gets shut down by the terrorist twins, who apparently also pickpocket him?

The student head of Earth house confronts Nika about what she did to spare them from attack and gets nowhere.

There's a battle royale style duel on the last day of the school festival apparently... so we're not done with this duel nonsense, and the Holder naturally HAS to participate and nobody bothered to tell Suletta.

The twins somehow gained access to the Pharact's hangar and are trying to access its GUND Format. Nika confronts them, and demands they leave immediately. They immediately overpower her, and steal the Pharact. They straight up try to step on Nika with the Pharact, until Suletta pulls off a last second save on a motor scooter. They even try to use the Pharact's Vulkans to gun her down. Suletta challenges them to a duel, and even though the two of them have literally NOTHING to gain from it they agree and even say as much.

In the stinger, we learn that Quiet Zero is apparently meant to create a world without war using the GUND Format. Exactly what it is, we're not told.
... oh well, I guess expecting them to find a competent writer between parts was a bit much to ask of them in the end.

This series is kind of the embodiment of that one Moon Knight meme "RANDOM BULLSHIT GO!".
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

Honestly the premier seems rather underwhelming; the opening duels are one sided, but at least the action is interesting. I agree the show zooms through stuff far too quickly, and seems to come up with threads at random (ie,
Spoiler
The School Festival Duel

It kind of reminds me of AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline; in that the show had a rather interesting premise, but ended up poorly executed and forgettable.

That being said some plotlines are actually pretty interesting
Spoiler
Like Sophie and Noera, Shaddiq's scheming and the possible Earth-Space war

However a lot of the plot gets bogged down in rather standard school based issues, so hopefully this season balances some of the more interesting plotlines together.
Janx

I enjoyed the first ep, though the ED has me really curious whats ahead.
Spoiler
I am sad to see we're still in school though parts of the intro and the terrorist girls have me wondering when something horrible is going to happen.

It seems the trailer almost exclusively focused on this ep.

One thing that annoys me though is that in a school of engineers and pilots no one's even trying some gimmick to handle the gund-bits. Like better volcans or smoke screens or anything. It seems everyone's plan is to mostly just charge at aerial and hope they can beat her before the funnels get them. Like they had 2 weeks to prep for this battle, surely someone should have gone "oh hey, maybe we should do something crafty to try and handle that thing that's beaten everyone".

These guys don't HAVE to fight her, they are choosing to fight her, and you think they'd take a look at the footage of how the other fights went.
Mafty

True,
Spoiler
You'd think with all the power, connections and ruthlessness the students display, somebody would actually check the battle to see how best to beat the Aerial. On that note it's odd nobody's tried to study Aerial to steal its specs and make a copy. Granted GUNDARM units are supposed to be Illegal, but given how easy the rules are bent in this universe, it still seems strange nobodies tried.
Kuruni

Mafty wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:16 am True,
Spoiler
You'd think with all the power, connections and ruthlessness the students display, somebody would actually check the battle to see how best to beat the Aerial. On that note it's odd nobody's tried to study Aerial to steal its specs and make a copy. Granted GUNDARM units are supposed to be Illegal, but given how easy the rules are bent in this universe, it still seems strange nobodies tried.
(Oh, come on people. Since when "this doesn't happen in the show" become spoiler worthy?)
Spoiler
There's no Godzilla in this show, neither is Gamera. Shocking yet?
Back to topic.

1. Nobody make Aerial's copy because at this point only Shin Sei (and probably Delling) know how it doesn't cause Data Storm. So we have to wait for the reveal to for the real reason. If Eri being Aerial theory is true, then it might be impossible to duplicate it.
2. We also see how Norea fails to access Pharact's GUND-Format in this episode since it's protected. While Elan the 4th has no problem to activate Aerial's GUND-Format, it's reasonable to assume that the important bit is in some black boxes that only Prospera (and probably Delling) can unlock. If anything, it's noted that hardware-wise, Aerial isn't anything special except the GUND-Format. As we saw in the battle against Darilbalde, mundane drone technology can emulate its function to a degree, and Peil can make Pharact with their own version of GUND-Format. So to make something to be Aerial 2 is most likely require analyzing the secret of Aerial.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:16 am True,
Spoiler
Someone did.

That was back in Part I, though. Peil Technologies unveiled their own clandestinely-developed GUND-ARM called the Pharact. Fake!Elan Ceres used it to curbstomp Guel Jeturk before it underwent a rapid, unplanned, and aggressive disassembly at the hands of Suletta and the Aerial and Peil's co-CEOs outed themselves in a bid to undermine and destroy the Shin Sei Development Corporation. It ultimately ended up in GUND-ARM Inc.'s hands after they purchased Peil's GUND development division.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Omega

Janx wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:23 pm I enjoyed the first ep, though the ED has me really curious whats ahead.
Spoiler
I am sad to see we're still in school though parts of the intro and the terrorist girls have me wondering when something horrible is going to happen.

It seems the trailer almost exclusively focused on this ep.

One thing that annoys me though is that in a school of engineers and pilots no one's even trying some gimmick to handle the gund-bits. Like better volcans or smoke screens or anything. It seems everyone's plan is to mostly just charge at aerial and hope they can beat her before the funnels get them. Like they had 2 weeks to prep for this battle, surely someone should have gone "oh hey, maybe we should do something crafty to try and handle that thing that's beaten everyone".

These guys don't HAVE to fight her, they are choosing to fight her, and you think they'd take a look at the footage of how the other fights went.
Spoiler
They're not planning to play by the school's rules, even I can see as much. Just a matter of what are they gonna do...
Kuruni

Well, the plot move fast. I find Elan #5 surprisingly likable despite his creepy advancement toward Suletta, with his laid-back yet sensible act during the fight. This is also Heindree's animate debut and it look pretty good. And the school part is certainly done.

That's all non-spoilery thing I can say.
Spoiler
Ericht being Aerial is confirmed. And seriously, I start to think she's might be as scary as Prospera herself.

Kind of interesting that despite being enemies, Norea doesn't blame Suletta for Sophie's death and only question her nature. It's like she consider being Gundam pilot death sentence already. And seeing her crying hits me hard.

The big problem I have with this is how Nika seems to overestimate herself despite it's obvious that Shaddiq's network is far greater than she though. But ultimately it doesn't matter, it isn't like she can stop his plan even if she made that phone confession.

"Volvo ...for life." Perfect name for G-Bits style GUND-bit.
Oh, and Bob is stills misding.
BrentD15

The new OP and ED slap so HARD!
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Seto Kaiba

My feelings going into the current episode: https://youtu.be/3ogIuFclGE8

Aaaanyway...
Spoiler
For all her bullshit, Miorine is at least consistent.

"Its what your father would want."
"Go **** yourself, my dad sucks."

Ooo... "Quiet Zero" is allegedly the brainchild of Miorine's mother. Let's see if this is another Prospera-brand whopper or actual fact!

We finally get an explanation of Quiet Zero. It's Skynet. They're building Skynet. A radical new network that can use data storms to seize control of any system that uses Permet links. Aerial is apparently the proof-of-concept and system core for it. Prospera's claiming that she sympathizes with Delling's aims and sent Suletta to Asticassia for that purpose. She's being really forthright about this, which means there's a 90% or better chance she's lying or omitting key details to manipulate people.

The rest of the class is complaining about how Nika keeps secrets, and the passers-by at the festival are apparently disgusted by the concept of the GUND-based prosthetics and/or the goat milk they're trying to sell.

Elan (Flirty Edition) tries to make a move on Suletta in order to find out why she's avoiding him. Took a Haro to the head like a champ though... aren't those things robots made out of metal? The terrorist girls troll him a bit and run off with Suletta.

Their stake in the duel is... making Suletta their actual big sister?

They get ready to kick off the battle royale duel. Poor Lauda's determined to crush Suletta, which means he's about to get Worf'd hard... on his last day as a student before becoming Jeturk CEO.

Belmiria's confronting Prospera about something...

Is it just me, or is this duel they've made such a big deal about actually really badly animated? Like... there's a LOT of off-model animation here.

... and there's an intruder on the field, it's a Lfrith. Two. Security at Asticassia really is swiss cheese, isn't it? Lauda gets Worf'd by the Lfrith Ur right away, without even managing to put up a fight. Nika tries to confess to being a terrorist and is caught by one of Shaddiq's people before she can. The Lfriths aren't derated to training power either, so they're actually damaging the Front even by missing. One student gets killed by taking a shot right to the cockpit.

The Lfrith has GUND-bits that are just whole-ass other Mobile Suits? How did they get ALL of this into the Front without anyone noticing? Moreover, that's kinda lame. The terrorist twins do such a crap job of actually hitting their targets that they cause a huge structural breach in the Front.

Chuchu can't seem to hit stationary targets with a beam gatling at close range... Lauda's dying, apparently, and Shaddiq has apparently set this up to abduct his own father? Suletta, meanwhile, is whining herself inside-out because the terrorist twins are murdering people over wanting a family.

... and there's the lame twist that almost everyone saw coming, but was so incredibly stupid we didn't want it to be true. The Aerial is literally just the Lfrith Prototype: Powered By A Forsaken Child edition, or a Diet Gundam Vidar.

The Lfrith Ur's pilot died of overdoing it on her Permet score in mid-combat.

Earth House appears to be being arrested for their connections to Nika, who is now a wanted terrorist.

Suletta is still a paint-drinking moron who can't see the obvious contradiction in what her mother told her. She's so incredibly dim that I honesly have to wonder, did she show up to Asticassia on a really short spacebus?
The Macross Mecha Manual