The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
DragoMaster009

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Judging from the implied keyword "eroge" in that post, now I'm interested to see how much hentai was produced by the Macross people.
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:22 pm Define "weird". Macross has had a lot of people work on it over the years, and most creators have at least one slightly bizarre entry in their portfolios.

Considering Kawamori's auteur tendencies, practically his entire filmography counts.
You know, kind of like feature film actors used to rarely appear in TV shows because it was considered 'beneath' them? Excluding mechanical designers, how many people in the manga-anime industry also worked on feature films? On top of my head I can recall Mamoru Oshii, Hideaki Anno, Go Nagai, Shotaro Ishinomori, and Shirow Masamune (some kind of advisory role?).

Or maybe what I'm trying to find is the pipeline. Like, it used to be that manga artists and illustrators treated drawing hentai as a kind of side jobs like Manabe Jouji, Satoshi Urushihara or Range Murata. But then in the last decade or some, you starting to see some pretty prolific doujin artists making a quick transition into mainstream manga. Back in the 2000s a lot of them kind of got stuck in hentai magazines or sexual light novel imprints. I wonder how that happened.
DragoMaster009

I've just been wondering, what exactly was the overall timeline of the Protoculture's dominance of the galaxy and the how and why of the Stellar Republic's downfall, not to mention why they were making the Evil series for replacement and superior soldiers in the first place?
Seto Kaiba

DragoMaster009 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:28 pm I've just been wondering, what exactly was the overall timeline of the Protoculture's dominance of the galaxy and the how and why of the Stellar Republic's downfall, not to mention why they were making the Evil series for replacement and superior soldiers in the first place?
The Protoculture's heyday was about 500,000 years before the "present day" of any given Macross series.

The exact details are lost to time, but the official timeline suggests the Protoculture first emerged as a species somewhere around 1,000,000 BCE and established a modern civilization somewhere around 500,000 BCE. It took around 2,400 years after that point for them to begin experimenting with space colonization. This was before the invention of fold technology, so their first emigrant ships used sublight propulsion only. Sometime in the next 300 years they developed an understanding of higher dimensions and created the first fold navigation systems. Around the 28th century of their civilization, they started using faster-than-light spacecraft for their interstellar colonization efforts. Within 100 years or so of that point - around the 2800s in their calendar - they'd become a burgeoning interstellar civilization.

The exact reason the Protoculture's civilization collapsed differs between titles. The two main ones are:
  • In most Macross titles, the Protoculture's civilization was divided along unspecified sociopolitical lines from a fairly early point as a bit of a Cold War analogy. As they expanded into space using sublight and later faster-than-light ships, their civilization became spread out enough that the separation of distance and time even with fold navigation and communications tech caused societal divides that saw the Protoculture's sizable interstellar civilization split into two rival nations in a cold war that quickly went hot before both sides were forced to work together against the emerging Supervision Army.
  • In Macross: Do You Remember Love?'s version of events referenced in Macross II and related works, the Protoculture's civilization began to split in two when their mastery of genetic science advanced to the point of being able to reproduce asexually using cloning. This ultimately led to society dividing itself along gender lines, and the males (Zentran) and females (Meltran) declaring war on each other using clone armies of their own creation. The ensuing destruction was so swift and so total that by the time enough people were second-guessing the decision anyone who could've ended the war was long dead, and the chastened survivors decided to flee to the edges of known space to get away from the now out-of-control and unstoppable war between the two clone armies.
In the former case, civil war was in the imminent future c2860 PC and in 2865 PC one side began to develop a new biotechnological weapons system. The experiment failed because they couldn't initially find a way to power their biotechnological systems reliably, but were revived three years later when a method to extract energy from higher-dimensional spacetime was discovered. In 2871 PC, the year after the Protoculture visited Earth and retrovirally engineered humanity, the first on-power testing of the new biotechnological weapons began and energy beings from higher dimensional space were accidentally drawn into the bodies of the seven prototype weapons. These seven "possessed" weapon prototypes became the Protodeviln, as the energy beings involuntarily inhabiting them went on a rampage across the galaxy harvesting mental energy (Spiritia) from anyone and everyone they could in order to not starve to death as a result of being trapped in our reality. Their rampage, assisted by an ever-growing army of spiritia-drained and brainwashed people, started to lose momentum in 2873 PC, but by the time they were captured and sealed away in the lab where they were created over 85% of the Protoculture's civilization had been destroyed. The survivors were forced to flee from the remaining Supervision Army forces and their own out-of-control Zentradi troops who could no longer be ordered to stand down.

Due to being separated into isolated colonies and emigrant fleets, the population of the Protoculture diminished over the next 22,000 years and they eventually went extinct.

Macross Delta suggests their final enclave was in the Brisingr globular cluster on the galactic rim, that they had tried and failed several times to establish proper communication with the Vajra, and that their final work was probably to create a telepathy-inducing system that would un-break the galaxy by turning it into a massive hivemind.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Will Kawamori eventually take the jump and make human somehow be able to make Fold Quartz? Or would that be a step too far, because then we will have to account how humanity would change when things like the dimension jump time lag change?

Secondly, has the NUNS encountered Bird Human on different planets other than Earth?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 am Will Kawamori [...]
The mind of Kawamori is unknowable.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 am [...] eventually take the jump and make human somehow be able to make Fold Quartz? Or would that be a step too far, because then we will have to account how humanity would change when things like the dimension jump time lag change?
It will likely happen eventually... though humanity has only been aware of, and researching, fold quartz for less than 30 years as of Absolute Live!!!!!!. It took the ancient Protoculture centuries, possibly millennia, to get to the point where they could produce artificial fold quartz. I do not expect it to happen anytime soon, since 5th Generation VFs are only just starting to enter service and fold quartz in large quantities and the scarcity of high-purity fold quartz is the main thing preventing the setting from being flooded with super-Valks like the YF-29.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 am Secondly, has the NUNS encountered Bird Human on different planets other than Earth?
None that've been mentioned. Similar artifacts to those found on Mayan have been found on other planets including Vajra, Windermere IV, and the unnamed planet that's home to the titular artifact in The Labyrinth of Time.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Somebody found an interview with Noburo Ishiguro hidden in AnimeEigo's DVD release of Macross, and posted their finding here: https://www.zimmerit.moe/noboru-ishigur ... interview/
False Prophet

What are the chance of Mylene or one of her sisters showing up in the next Macross? The oldest of them is over 50 when Delta happened, right? It probably will make more sense for they to show up than their father.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:37 am Somebody found an interview with Noburo Ishiguro hidden in AnimeEigo's DVD release of Macross, and posted their finding here: https://www.zimmerit.moe/noboru-ishigur ... interview/
It was an advertised extra feature, so I'm not sure how it's "hidden"... lol

False Prophet wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:26 am What are the chance of Mylene or one of her sisters showing up in the next Macross? The oldest of them is over 50 when Delta happened, right? It probably will make more sense for they to show up than their father.
As I've said, the mind of Kawamori is unknowable. The odds of literally anything are more or less the same because his attitude towards the story is "I do what I want."

I'd assume that the extended Jenius family will continue to play a role in Macross's future because it's basically one of the show's favorite self-references. Whether it'll be an existing character or new one is anyone's guess, but given that Max's inclusion in Absolute Live!!!!!! was a hasty substitution for Ernest Johnson after Johnson's VA passed away I'd assume that we probably won't see many returners in the future.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

DragoMaster009 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:25 amThis just in, Harmony Gold Founder Frank Agrama is dead.
This is the first time I learn that Frank Argama had something to do with Silvio Berlusconi of all people. But either way, my condolence to his family.

Has anyone ordered the Chogokin VF-25? I really want it just from the image, but lately my wallet has been drained by Metal Build and Armors Girl Project. These figures do keep their value on the second-hand market.
Seto Kaiba

DragoMaster009 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:25 am This just in, Harmony Gold Founder Frank Agrama is dead.
It's gauche to speak ill of the dead... but I suspect very few will miss him. Especially not the Macross fandom... we have NO love for the man.

Putting aside the fact that he was ultimately the one responsible for decades of bullshit and borderline vexatious litigation regarding his company having licensed Super Dimension Fortress Macross, he was also a convicted criminal who only avoided serving prison time for his years of tax fraud, money laundering, and bribery because of his age and a law intended to reduce prison overcrowding. The company he founded, Harmony Gold USA, was something he set up specifically to facilitate his criminal activity... trading film rights between legitimate companies and shell companies set up in tax havens at inflated prices to pocket the proceeds while writing the pocketed money off as a business loss.

(There's evidence that this scam continued well into the 2010s, and may still be ongoing, with Agrama's daughter and current Harmony Gold CEO having been investigated for undisclosed income by the IRS.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:35 am Has anyone ordered the Chogokin VF-25? I really want it just from the image, but lately my wallet has been drained by Metal Build and Armors Girl Project. These figures do keep their value on the second-hand market.
The Worldwide Macross one? Yeah, plenty of folks have... I haven't personally, because it's just a redeco of the V2.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:17 pm The Worldwide Macross one? Yeah, plenty of folks have... I haven't personally, because it's just a redeco of the V2.
That is good to know. I am tempted to get the VF-25F Revival, but probably will wait for a few years until it shows up in the second-hand market.
False Prophet

A bit of info on the Story mode of Macross Shooting Insight: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/macross ... y-detailed

Also, the official Twitter account of the game: https://twitter.com/MACROSS_SI

Any hope or expectation? I am willing to pay double if the game modernizes the gameplay from Macross 30 or Delta Scramble.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:46 am A bit of info on the Story mode of Macross Shooting Insight: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/macross ... y-detailed

Also, the official Twitter account of the game: https://twitter.com/MACROSS_SI

Any hope or expectation? I am willing to pay double if the game modernizes the gameplay from Macross 30 or Delta Scramble.
Wrong genre.

Everything we've seen thus far points to this game being a fairly mindless vertically scrolling shooter.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

So any word yet on when Macross will be released in North America? Last summer they said probably in 2023, but there doesn't seem to be any more word on this yet.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:36 am So any word yet on when Macross will be released in North America? Last summer they said probably in 2023, but there doesn't seem to be any more word on this yet.
There hasn't been much news, since the work is in process, but they have reiterated the 2023 release plan as of like a month ago.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

New Macross Animation Project to Be Produced by Sunrise

Does the Japanese news say anything more about this new project? Like, will Satelight involve in it, and if they do, how will they divide the production with Sunrise?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:07 am New Macross Animation Project to Be Produced by Sunrise

Does the Japanese news say anything more about this new project? Like, will Satelight involve in it, and if they do, how will they divide the production with Sunrise?
Nope, just that. We likely won't see any news of substance until Autumn, assuming the standard pattern follows.

Kinda wonder if this marks some kind of falling out between Macross and Satelight. Macross Delta definitely wasn't the phenomenon its predecessor was, and the publications for the last movie carry a definite air of disappointment with the story and how it developed to the point that one (Master File) turns the ending on its ear and asserts that the protagonists didn't win the fight... the enemy sort of tripped at the finish line.
The Macross Mecha Manual