GaoGaiGar Lighting

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

GaoGaiGar Lighting

So it's stated in several places that GaoGaiGar utilizes bright flashing lights in various parts of it's action scenes(apparently this was one of the last shows to do this before the "Pokemon Shock" incident), and apparently the second half of the show reduces it.

So for anyone who has watched this; how severe is this? Is it through the entire episode, or just portions of it? Is there actually a reduced amount of these scenes as the show goes on?
Underrated GM Custom

Re: GaoGaiGar Lighting

It's pretty bad in some places, there's a strobelight effect on the Machine King which is around once per episode for the first half of the series. Then there's the bright flashing lights for the Symmetrical Docking sequences which is also common throughout the show, but I don't recall if it gets less egregious in the second half. There are also flashing effects are also in the OP, and from what I recall it is toned down a bit when they start updating the OP in the 2nd half, as well as FINAL.

I got my bluray copy recently but haven't had a chance to see if they cleaned up any of those sequences to make them less obtrusive.
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mafty

Thanks, I think I'll avoid buying this, as I can't handle the excessive strobes. I did hear that after the Pokémon Shock incident, they lessened the lighting, however that would be very late in the shows run. I've also heard that apparently the Blu Ray release was unable to remove the lighting, but I'm not exactly sure.
Chris
Administrator

I briefly popped in the Blu-ray and I believe it doesn't change anything, but it has a warning upfront about the lights.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his