The Official Gundam SEED FREEDOM Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Re: New Gundam Seed project; sequel movie, manga and more

Mafty wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:52 am Totally, One Year War seriously? It's odd though because there doesn't seem to have been that many translation errors prior to this. Who knows maybe they started outsourcing more recently.
There have been errors in almost every video release they've posted. I mean, just go back and watch the first part of chapter one and you'll see they don't even refer to the factions by the correct names :P
yugioh54

I think the movie will be set 2 years after destiny and will be about the earth federation, the whole Rey, Rau and Mu storyline needs to be followed up on. I think Athrun and Kira will be the MC of the movie. Destiny couldn't come up with a better scenario with Shinn
yugioh54

I think the movie should be about the earth federation, they seemed like good guys at least in early SEED until we get introduced to Blue Cosmos. Destiny really emphasized ZAFT and ORB, but we never get enough of the Earth Forces, only the ONA Stargazer gave them look sympathy in there perspective. I think Fukuda will pull it off after making Cross Ange, sure Destiny wasn't perfect Shinn and Lunamaria got the worst character arc. Rey got more of an ending to his character. We need more earth forces characters. I hope the movie comes out soon the ignited project has been slow, we only got the manga but where's the game and other stuff they said would happen?
Chris
Administrator

yugioh54 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:08 am I think the movie should be about the earth federation, they seemed like good guys at least in early SEED until we get introduced to Blue Cosmos. Destiny really emphasized ZAFT and ORB, but we never get enough of the Earth Forces, only the ONA Stargazer gave them look sympathy in there perspective. I think Fukuda will pull it off after making Cross Ange, sure Destiny wasn't perfect Shinn and Lunamaria got the worst character arc. Rey got more of an ending to his character. We need more earth forces characters. I hope the movie comes out soon the ignited project has been slow, we only got the manga but where's the game and other stuff they said would happen?
In what way is the Earth Alliance (and specifically the Atlantic Federation) the "good guys"? Did you forget they started the war by nuking Junius Seven and killing over 240,000 civilians? Did you forget that their leadership at the highest levels is corrupted by Blue Cosmos/Logos? They are literally the opposite of good guys.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yugioh54

Still not ALL the Earth Federation characters were bad guys at least at the start of seed
Chris
Administrator

yugioh54 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 pm Still not ALL the Earth Federation characters were bad guys at least at the start of seed
It doesn't matter....your argument is still flawed. You said they seemed good at the start of SEED, but even then in the explainer of the war we already knew that they had nuked innocent civilians. They're still a bad organization even if there are some "good" characters in it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kuruni

I still think it would starts by dump us right into action without context and SF damaged. After few confusing dialogue, Kira will has flashback to tell us what's going on until the last 5 minutes or so when he got another upgrade Freedom :lol: .

Joke aside, Fukuda might actually pull "whole movie as flashback" just to troll us.
My girlfriend was a loli.
yugioh54

Fukuda work on Cross Ange impressed despite being the creative director which was probably done so he didn't handle the budget like he did on GSD. Well we can't have just ORB and ZAFT have peace and then except the earth alliance just be the bad guys, they already did that in GSD, there needs to be at least some insight that we never got. Azreal got more screen time in Stargazer and the hd remaster, I guess I'm hoping for more information and a resolution to the earth alliance part of the story.
Mafty

I always found Cross Ange to be a bit too mean spirited
Spoiler
The setting is more brutally discriminatory than even CE, Ange causes the deaths of two child soldiers, then decides she can't mourn the people she got killed. Ange's sister and brother try to kill her. Ange and Hilde decide to destroy the entire world that betrayed them. A group of orphaned children die horribly in an attack, get brought back to life and die in another battle all over again. Ange rejects her sister, after it becomes apparent she was somewhat brainwashed. The whole world is destroyed, with Ange and the other heroes going to paradise, while the few remains humans (her sister included) at least manage to stand up for each other. Largely aside from these minor developments, there weren't too many likeable or 3 dimensional characters, and the show seemed to focus more on shock value.
As for the Earth Alliance, it is clear from the beginning that they were the aggressor in the conflict(with the completely needless attack on a civilian colony). That being said given how the first half of the show, we largely focus on the relatively likeable crew on the Archangle (Kira and the Heliopolis kids, Murrue, Mu, Murdoch, Halberton and the bridge crew, it was somewhat possible to forget that. However
Spoiler
After the death of Halberton, the Jaburo style trap the Alliance sacrificed their own soldiers for, and the defection of all the sympathetic characters to ORB
the issue becomes more apparent.

That being said this also brings up another question? Why were so many sympathetic people part of the Alliance to begin with? Was the EA less ruthless at some point? Was everyone Brainwashed by propaganda? The EA was one of the few earth government organizations, but you wonder why many of the more moderate people didn't try to align with ORB?

As for the EA in the movie there is one possibility
Spoiler
Mainly the organization is rebuilt by people who aren't fanatical racists. Like how in Gundam X: The more ruthless portions of the SRA and United Nations Earth are wiped out in a battle they started, to be replaced by more stable people like Jamil, Sala, and Lancerow.
Seto Kaiba

yugioh54 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 pm Still not ALL the Earth Federation characters were bad guys at least at the start of seed
Eh... a good person aligned with the antagonists is still an antagonist.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yugioh54

Mafty wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:02 am I always found Cross Ange to be a bit too mean spirited
Spoiler
The setting is more brutally discriminatory than even CE, Ange causes the deaths of two child soldiers, then decides she can't mourn the people she got killed. Ange's sister and brother try to kill her. Ange and Hilde decide to destroy the entire world that betrayed them. A group of orphaned children die horribly in an attack, get brought back to life and die in another battle all over again. Ange rejects her sister, after it becomes apparent she was somewhat brainwashed. The whole world is destroyed, with Ange and the other heroes going to paradise, while the few remains humans (her sister included) at least manage to stand up for each other. Largely aside from these minor developments, there weren't too many likeable or 3 dimensional characters, and the show seemed to focus more on shock value.
I'll admit I prefer the first half of the series, the first episode felt very code geass too me, Ange learning to fend for herself, her adaptation to a new way of life, the sad confrontations with people who were norma

the stuff about a parallel earth, dragons having humanoid forms even though Ange killed one, the 2nd half happy ending seemed like just a reset with Tusk being alive. Fukuda even said sales were good a sequel could happen but hinted sunrise was focusing on Gundam, all these threads caused holes in the plot that aren't addressed and they didn't need to make the ending so happy but I guess they didn't want to risk not getting a sequel and had a big celebration

I liked most of the female cast, it was like a wonder woman series, I wouldn't say shock value, they were aiming for a more feisty female cast that sunrise or any studio has never really done before unless it was a magical girl series like Mai Hime.
Last edited by yugioh54 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
yugioh54

yugioh54 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:09 pm
Mafty wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:02 am I always found Cross Ange to be a bit too mean spirited
Spoiler
I'll admit I prefer the first half of the series, the first episode felt very code geass too me, Ange learning to fend for herself, her adaptation to a new way of life, the sad confrontations with people who were norma

the stuff about a parallel earth, dragons having humanoid forms even though Ange killed one, the 2nd half happy ending seemed like just a reset with Tusk being alive. Fukuda even said sales were good a sequel could happen but hinted sunrise was focusing on Gundam, all these threads caused holes in the plot that aren't addressed and they didn't need to make the ending so happy but I guess they didn't want to risk not getting a sequel and had a big celebration

I liked most of the female cast, it was like a wonder woman series, I wouldn't say shock value, they were aiming for a more feisty female cast that sunrise or any studio has never really done before unless it was a magical girl series like Mai Hime.
DragoMaster009

Uh yugioh54, you don't have to make two of the same post in a row whenever you reply you know.
yugioh54

rewatching the first seed episode in HD with the new dub, not bad, the foreshadowing of orbs involement with the gundam project was well done. I hope we get another ONA like Stargazer, the wait for the movie is unbelievable, has the new gundam series by Mari Okada been a hit?
Mafty

Who else has read the latest chapter of Eclipse?
Spoiler
[Things are really heating up now, fitting for a cliff-hanger before the New Year. We finally get more backstory for Ken. Namely he is an adopted member of the Suse family, and is Hori’s rival/enemy. The noble family feuds amongst Orb are something we’ve seen a lot in Seed , and it’s neat to see some of the lesser focused families for a change.

So what exactly was the “Great War” that affected to Suse Family? Was it the Bloody Valentine War?

Also is there any line art for the second Eclipse unit yet?
/spoiler]
John-Luck Pickerd

I am pretty sure it is refered to the war in Seed. It is a more colloquial way of refering to the war it seems, not just this manga, I recall there other spin off materials also had characters refer to it as great war, though off hand I cant remember the specifics. I think its like how we refer to WW1 as "Great war" sometimes.
yugioh54

I hope there's a bigger time skip for the movie, I think Destiny only having a two year time skip didn't let the characters evolve enough
Kuruni

yugioh54 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:30 am I hope there's a bigger time skip for the movie, I think Destiny only having a two year time skip didn't let the characters evolve enough
And more time skip = more excuse for flashback!
My girlfriend was a loli.
Mafty

Also a longer time skip will at least give the opportunity for the Cosmic Era to see changes, as new factions emerge. Seed Destiny did kind of have a Remember the New Guy thing going on with Chairman Durandel and Lord Djribil being major players with deep connections to previous factions and characters, with no previous reference or appearances in the first series.

Also isn't there some faction called Librarian Works? Maybe they will appear in the movie.
yugioh54

Librarian works exist in the Astray manga, I'd like to see an origin of how the gundams were made but the mangas apparently did it. I just hope the movie isn't an offshot of Char's counterattack. Kira being the Ultimate Coordinator will probably be a factor, unlike 00 I don't think the movie will be an extension of Destiny except for the peace treaty and Lacus being the leader of Plants, Kira being in zaft. I think they'll try to use the threads from the first half of destiny and SEED, the extendeds need a resolution