Full Metal Panic! Director's Cut Edition Part 1: "Boy Meets Girl"

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Full Metal Panic! Director's Cut Edition Part 1: "Boy Meets Girl"

yugioh54 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:08 am I assume Invisible Victory is more like the novel?
Incrementally more so than previous installments... but it's still a ways from the original story.

yugioh54 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:08 am but Nami being a whisprered isn't acknowledged, like in the manga, they should probably do the Christmas arc instead of the final novels if those changes effect the story about a parallel history. Is the manga adaptation better then the anime ?, I've read there ending chapters but I'm not sure they negate stuff like the anime?
Define "better"... and while you're at it, "Which manga?". :wink:

The first manga was a troubled production that, like the TV anime, tried to play up the romcom angle and downplay the sci-fi/alternate history angle until it got to around "Ending Day by Day". Many of the others play up the comedy angle. Which, IMO, is perfectly fine since I found that the light novel often left me spiraling off towards "Too bleak, stopped caring" while Sousuke was bumming around in a bad recreation of Robot Jox.

yugioh54 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:08 am Invisible Victory opening even animates sosukes backstory in an eyecatch. Also has anyone seen these FMP movies? do they change anything
They're just compilation movies, so I'd assume not.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Mafty

Light Novel adaptations often seem to add more comedy, and minimize the worldbuilding. The Magical Index/Railgun anime series have a lot more light hearted filler by JC Staff, though they never quite lose the darker portions of the books. Anti Magic Academy minimizes a lot of the back story from the novels, to the point you can forget the story is post apocalyptic and just assume it's modern Tokyo, with magic. And FMP removes a lot of the more Sci-Fi themes from the worldbuilding.

Granted as the others have said, FMP could get a little too dark in it's storyline (to the point Gatoh himself has said he regrets some parts), and the novels themselves did have comedy bits and short stories(plus the entire Dancing Very Merry Christmas novel).

If anything it seems like Invisible Victory was actually the best middle ground between the novel and previous seasons.

As for the compilation movies. They at least have new animated scenes in some instances, but whether that will go for actually adding more content from the novel of just improving the animation on some scenes isn't clear.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:02 am Light Novel adaptations often seem to add more comedy, and minimize the worldbuilding. The Magical Index/Railgun anime series have a lot more light hearted filler by JC Staff, though they never quite lose the darker portions of the books. Anti Magic Academy minimizes a lot of the back story from the novels, to the point you can forget the story is post apocalyptic and just assume it's modern Tokyo, with magic. And FMP removes a lot of the more Sci-Fi themes from the worldbuilding.
In the case of Full Metal Panic!, I kinda suspect it's just that it's so goddamn DENSE that they'd need to put at least half an episode into explaining the setting and since the series doesn't have a narrator there really wouldn't be an organic way to DO that. You can only do so much with a character doing an "as you know". Since a fair bit of it occurs as exposition during the lead-in to action sequences like the rescue of the hijacked airliner carrying Kaname's entire class from North Korea or the whole incident in neutral Hong Kong while renegade AMALGAM agents have the North and South Chinese ready to go to war with each other (again).

It wouldn't have been particularly relevant to what they were trying to do with the first series either, which was play up the school drama and love comedy aspects of the story.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
yugioh54

Thanks for all the answers! I hope someone gives FMP another chance maybe JC Staff or Sunrise, I'd even say do the christmas arc to get new fans rather then the final 3 novels.
yugioh54

Thanks for all the answers! I hope someone gives FMP another chance maybe JC Staff or Sunrise, I'd even say do the christmas arc to get new fans rather then the final 3 novels.