The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Omega

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:43 am
Spoiler
Really, this series is just a mess.

Delling's wildly out-of-character reaction to the reveal that Peil Technologies were sheltering a witch and developing GUND-ARMs and that the Aerial is a GUND-ARM after all is problematic, but the key takeaway for the episode is actually before the opening credits.

One of the Peil Technologies co-CEOs implies that all three of the Benerit Group's main Mobile Suit manufacturers - Grassley Defense Systems, Jeturk Heavy Machinery, and Peil Technologies - covertly experiment with the prohibited GUND Format. None of them want to run afoul of Delling Rembran's Cathedral goon squad the way the Vanadis Institute did at their incitement, so they're keeping a close eye on how Delling reacts to the news that Peil's Pharact was an illegal GUND-ARM to see if they'll be able to quietly scrap those programs and write off the loss or if they'll have to be afraid that there will be a house call by Cathedral's special forces.

None of them seem to have expected the completely BS turn of events at the end of the episode, where Delling agreed to permit Shin Sei and Peil to collaborate on the development of a "safe" version of GUND Format technology.
TBF, Delling could be...
Spoiler
Expecting Miorinne to fail, which leaves the Aerial and Peil at his mercy anyway. Plus, a thought I had was there being a reason for his donation being 3% specifically. Then again, he could be humoring his daughter as Aerial despite being a Gundam hasn't killed Suletta yet, so he's challenging her to prove the Aerial's success can be recreated. It breaks his character, even i'll agree, but the question is 'why did he break character and allow a Gundam to survive'.
That's the million dollar question here.
Spoiler
As a side note, I think we may finally be getting some long overdue answers about how the Aerial is different from typical Gundams in this universe in the next episode or two. To pull it off, they'll have to explain it sooner or later, especially if Witch from Mercury embraces the modern Gundam rule of the MC getting a mid-season upgrade. Said upgrade would fit story-wise too for backing Miorinne's goal of saving the Aerial in this episode.
Underrated GM Custom

Spoiler
Yeah the start end and the end of the episode just feel very disconnected. The main MS manufacturers are worried that Delling will overreact and we'll get another prologue episode, but instead his daughter throws up a quickly marked up powerpoint slide and asks for his help and now everything is good to go. Just strange.

Although if we go with Ryujin's theory that Prospera and Delling are working together it makes some sense, but if that's the writers end goal I wish they would do some better foreshadowing here.
As for the million dollar question
Spoiler
I'm interesting in seeing what makes Aerial different, I'm hoping its not the grim-dark theory many have proposed but we'll see. Also, I'm guessing the mid-season upgrade won't happen this cour, possibly for the next one. The upgrade will likely be an Aerial upgrade or overhaul like the X to X Divider rather than a different MS giving how attached Suletta is to Aerial.
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrentD15

It's quite rich hearing that this is "the worst writing in the Gundam franchise ever" with no regard to everything that came before it.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Janx

BrentD15 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:18 am It's quite rich hearing that this is "the worst writing in the Gundam franchise ever" with no regard to everything that came before it.
Yeah I can think of a few series that have gone lower than this.

That said, I do agree this episode felt kind of weak. I liked the general idea but how it got from start to finish felt odd. I'm not really sure where this show is going, but i'm not sure if thats in a good or bad way.
Mafty

Honestly that whole Space OSHA thing is very common in Sci Fi, how many times have we seen ships or mechs without seatbelts? In ZZ the Cassiopeia stuffs all the poor people in a glorified cargo hold, then when the AEUG leaves Norway they tie children (who have already stuck around on a warship in active combat for two years at this point) and teenagers to large cargo boxes. In CCA the civilian shuttle has no seatbelts, which causes Quess to go flying into the air, and somehow avoid severe injury.

Often what happens is the designers pick the most flashy or dramatic design, and forget the practicality of it. though it still is a bit odd if you think about it.

That being said I do find the story to be engaging, in spite of the fact that it has it's writing issues and plot holes at times. I'm not sure I agree that it's the worst writing however. Its worth noting that in Gundams long run there have been more than a few issues with writing even in the better series. Though it's worth noting the better series have a lot going for them , so some writing issues aren't really that big of a deal (ie Glemmy's weird upward promotions, Sciroccos unclear plans, the rather vague backstory of Shakti's family, the fact cloning sort of disappears after the first Neo Zeon war, etc.).

It's more when it drastically affects the plot itself
Spoiler
Like how Gato and Nina were a couple, then Nina sabotages everything and no one blames her. Second Moon never thought to just rocket transport back to the Earth Sphere, The Akatsuki appearing at Cagalli's "Time of Greatest Need" which apparently wasn't two years prior were she used a pink version of an outdated model made from spare parts , the various offscreen important events in G-Reco, and so on
Of course the series is still new, so there could be time to fix some of the writing issue (like how G-Reco's movies made the plot much easier to follow and fixed many issues).
Seto Kaiba

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:30 am TBF, Delling could be...
Spoiler
Expecting Miorinne to fail, which leaves the Aerial and Peil at his mercy anyway. Plus, a thought I had was there being a reason for his donation being 3% specifically. Then again, he could be humoring his daughter as Aerial despite being a Gundam hasn't killed Suletta yet, so he's challenging her to prove the Aerial's success can be recreated. It breaks his character, even i'll agree, but the question is 'why did he break character and allow a Gundam to survive'.
That wouldn't really make sense in context, though. Not for Delling, and certainly not for everyone else save perhaps the CEOs of Grassley, Peil, and Jeturk.
Spoiler
Remember, the (official) reason that GUND Format research and development was banned under the Cathedra Agreement by the Mobile Suit Development Council was that its operation inflicted debilitating and irreversible physical and mental damage on the operator. That was how Delling was able to drum up support to not only have the Vanadis Institute shut down but have its entire staff killed by Cathedral's Dominicus Corps. Putting an end to what was seen as (and arguably actually was) incredibly unethical experimentation on living humans was seen as just cause for Cathedral to order the literal and figurative termination of the Vanadis Institute's research.

Delling being dead-set against GUND Format research is one thing, but consider that every other character in that ballroom has spent the last twenty years (if not their entire lives) hearing about how the GUND Format is an unethical and even evil technology. A curse, as "Elan Ceres" put it. This was so accepted in society that even at that party we see people are uncomfortable even having Suletta around because she's merely suspected of being "a witch" and therefore involved in GUND Format research. They're understandably horrified when Peil Technologies reveals that their Pharact was an illegal GUND-ARM and that Shin Sei's Aerial is one too. The CEOs of Grassley, Jeturk and Peil carefully choreographed that entire performance at the incubation party to leverage that public loathing for the GUND Format to destroy Shin Sei, the Aerial, Prospera, and Suletta. Their reactions of disgust and dismay when Miorine proposes the formation of a GUND-ARM development firm are exactly what you would expect if someone came to you and asked for a major cash outlay so they could pick up where Dr. Mengele left off.

That all it takes for Delling to reverse himself and fund what he's argued is a line of research so unethical, immoral, and inhumane that executing the entire research laboratory responsible for it was morally justified is for his daughter to bow her head is EXTREMELY out of character for him. That's a bone fide 180 in his personality. It'd also be pretty unsettling for... y'know... everyone that the man with more power than the actual government decided that he's A-OK with maiming and killing people in the name of scientific progress as long as his daughter asks him nicely first. It'd be one thing if she made some kind of passionate argument about the potential good GUND could do and actually persuaded him, but she doesn't do that. He just arbitrarily vacates the one moral position he's taken in the series seemingly on a whim. Even if he expects her to fail, the only way she's going to find out if it's possible or not is by testing it on living people... something he found so offensive that he had Carto Nabo KILLED FOR IT.

Worse still, everyone who was expressing dismay and disgust at Miorine's presentation for obvious reasons regarding how GUND has been viewed in society for the last twenty years just... changes their minds on the spur of the moment and throw billions at the girl who just proposed a company to carry out unethical medical experiments.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Omega

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:29 pm
Spoiler
Remember, the (official) reason that GUND Format research and development was banned under the Cathedra Agreement by the Mobile Suit Development Council was that its operation inflicted debilitating and irreversible physical and mental damage on the operator. That was how Delling was able to drum up support to not only have the Vanadis Institute shut down but have its entire staff killed by Cathedral's Dominicus Corps. Putting an end to what was seen as (and arguably actually was) incredibly unethical experimentation on living humans was seen as just cause for Cathedral to order the literal and figurative termination of the Vanadis Institute's research.

Delling being dead-set against GUND Format research is one thing, but consider that every other character in that ballroom has spent the last twenty years (if not their entire lives) hearing about how the GUND Format is an unethical and even evil technology. A curse, as "Elan Ceres" put it. This was so accepted in society that even at that party we see people are uncomfortable even having Suletta around because she's merely suspected of being "a witch" and therefore involved in GUND Format research. They're understandably horrified when Peil Technologies reveals that their Pharact was an illegal GUND-ARM and that Shin Sei's Aerial is one too. The CEOs of Grassley, Jeturk and Peil carefully choreographed that entire performance at the incubation party to leverage that public loathing for the GUND Format to destroy Shin Sei, the Aerial, Prospera, and Suletta. Their reactions of disgust and dismay when Miorine proposes the formation of a GUND-ARM development firm are exactly what you would expect if someone came to you and asked for a major cash outlay so they could pick up where Dr. Mengele left off.

That all it takes for Delling to reverse himself and fund what he's argued is a line of research so unethical, immoral, and inhumane that executing the entire research laboratory responsible for it was morally justified is for his daughter to bow her head is EXTREMELY out of character for him. That's a bone fide 180 in his personality. It'd also be pretty unsettling for... y'know... everyone that the man with more power than the actual government decided that he's A-OK with maiming and killing people in the name of scientific progress as long as his daughter asks him nicely first. It'd be one thing if she made some kind of passionate argument about the potential good GUND could do and actually persuaded him, but she doesn't do that. He just arbitrarily vacates the one moral position he's taken in the series seemingly on a whim. Even if he expects her to fail, the only way she's going to find out if it's possible or not is by testing it on living people... something he found so offensive that he had Carto Nabo KILLED FOR IT.

Worse still, everyone who was expressing dismay and disgust at Miorine's presentation for obvious reasons regarding how GUND has been viewed in society for the last twenty years just... changes their minds on the spur of the moment and throw billions at the girl who just proposed a company to carry out unethical medical experiments.
I'm aware just I was pointing towards the million dollar question being
Spoiler
Why Delling broke character and supported the venture because if there's no reasoning, then they really just broke his character to get out of the corner they wrote themselves into as Suletta and the Aerial were as good as done as nobody would have taken Miorinne seriously.

And this strikes me as he -definitely- has a reason, considering what he said.