The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

About the beam output reduction, re-reading the Novel Suletta actually used that feature to cut open a machine's cockpit at Mercury during a rescue mission she was on when she was younger. She needed to get someone out and reduced her beam saber output to minimize the chances of hurting the person she was rescueing.

So we do have confirmation that it's a thing in G-Witch.
Underrated GM Custom

Sounds like the same concept we saw Shiro use in the 08th MS Team. Hopefully we'll learn more if the school has intentional limiters on beam output for duels.
SonicSP

I will be very surprised if they do not, given the beams tend to hit the walls a lot. I imagine having your beams hitting all the time at full strength is NOT a good idea.

=======

I also notice something about the beams. In the official marketing pictures so far and one gunpla marketing artwork, Aerial's beams have been colored blue. This is the same as Lfrith's gunpla marketing pictures and in the Prologue.

However, in Episode 1 Aerial's beam shots and beam saber are green. This matches the same color used by Guel's Dilanza, which matches what we see in its gunpla marketing (Gundam Pharact's marketing beam is also green though we haven't seen it in anime yet).

So with this, I have a theory. I suspect the green beams are actually output reduced for use in the duels while the blue and pink beams we saw in the Prologue are full powered for "real" battles. Aside from the Dilanza, the other mobile suit it fought earlier also used green beams. I suspect Aerial was made to use them too somehow, likely through some sort of field effect if not just some soft code it had to accept prior to the battle.

At a minimum there's also some sort of blue force field thing that's absorbing the beams in various places so they do care about the damage done to some level.

If and when Aerial were to enter a real full on battle, it will use it's blue beams like Lfrith, well based on this theory anyways. Guel's Dilanza and Gundam Pharact's main beams being green in the gunpla marketing would be because they would only appear in arcs involving mock battles.

Mind you, those green beams can still be powerful. Or at least Aerial's are, they cut Dilanza apart like sliced bread.
Mafty

Makes sense really. Especially when you consider sometimes the beam guns in Gundam need E-Pacs to function, so maybe the E-Pac itself can be some like an MS use paint bullet (like seen in the training exercises in Stardust Memory, Macross Plus and Muv Luv Total Eclipse). Given the rather violent nature of the society seen in Ad Stella, it seems very likely that all MS are capable of using actual weapons. As for the beam saber, maybe like Sonic said theirs some kind of force field that allows you to damage the appendages but not the cockpit.
yazi88

Mafty wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:54 pm Makes sense really. Especially when you consider sometimes the beam guns in Gundam need E-Pacs to function, so maybe the E-Pac itself can be some like an MS use paint bullet (like seen in the training exercises in Stardust Memory, Macross Plus and Muv Luv Total Eclipse). Given the rather violent nature of the society seen in Ad Stella, it seems very likely that all MS are capable of using actual weapons. As for the beam saber, maybe like Sonic said theirs some kind of force field that allows you to damage the appendages but not the cockpit.
Those paint bullets from the 3 shows you mentioned are using ballistic machine guns, not beam rifles, so that would not work here. No such thing as a beam paint round. Its one thing if they were using paint guns but that is not the case here or really low settings for beams which seems to already be a thing here.
Underrated GM Custom

Oh, I really like SonicSP's theory regarding the low-output for green sabers. One thing that bothered me when watching the episode was as SonicSP mentioned there were protective barriers for the beam weapons, but clearly almost no care given for mobile suits nearly crushing someone. Just seemed bizarre to me that the dueling grounds could so easily spill over into a pedestrian area.

Regarding beam 'paint rounds', MSV RoJR manga does beam laser tag for practice battles. The onboard computers and cameras register notional hits to the mobile suit and the computers do a simulation for what it expects would be disabled on the Mobile Suit. You can see some great examples of it in Volume 14.
SonicSP

Aerial's beam appear as blue in the opening, so alongside the gunpla marketing pictures increases the chances it would appear as blue in the actual episodes later on. Curious to see what the explanation or reasoning will be.

Also it's nice to a little bit more info on the Permet. The HG Aerial manual describes Permet as a new mineral in which Aerial channels it's powers through but considering the Permet score analysis was used during the trial to determine whether it's a Gundam, then it cannot just be an exclusive feature to Aerial/Gundams.

Otherwise the fact that it even has a Permet score should be a dead giveaway, and not just because its graph pattern is extremely similar to Lfrith.

I so wonder then whether Permet is a power source or even a power amplifier of sorts? I mean, the connectivity stuff definitely helps but the actual output of the Gundams themselves seems pretty high, especially when connected paired with certain pilots (IE Suletta on both Lfrith and Aerial).

Another interesting tidbit is, early in the Prologue, it was mentioned that the thing actually crippling or killing the Gund Format pilots were the "data storms" generated by the Gundams. However, Aerial during the battle was not generating any according to data showed during the trial. That would mean either because the have technologically solved the problem and/or none are generated when Suletta pilots it.

Interestingly, unlike the Permet score where they had data to compare with Lfrith during the "Gund Format Incident", when it came to the data storm thing Prespora's defense was just generalities that Gundams were known to cause them, as opposed to a comparison the incident. This makes me suspect for now that the key to not generating data storms is Suletta herself as opposed to maybe a big breakthrough in the Gund Format.
Underrated GM Custom

I thought I had read earlier that Permet was the mineral used for interfacing with Mobile Suits, I believe it is also used in long range communication. Could be wrong though, there's been a lot of speculation out there.

From the Prologue we see that Suletta is able to activate parts of the Lfrith that her mother was unable to. I suspect that there is something unique about her that prevents the lethal data storms. Although I worry that the grandmother did some augmentations on Suletta without anyone knowing, which allowed her to do this. Her mother seemed aghast that she was able to control Lfrith, so it seemed a shock to her.
SonicSP

Yes, Permet being the mineral that allows Arial to manifest its powers thing is mentioned in the HG.
Mafty

Permet seems like it might become something of a Mineral MacGuffin( Like Sakuradite in Code Geass, The Dragons heart in Escaflowne, Unobtainium from Avatar, Crystal in the Crystal Singer books, etc) in that it is necessary for the more advanced technology. If a war develops in the series, it may well be over who controls Permet.

As for Suletta , maybe she has some kind of power that counteracts the Data Storms. This might even be this Universe's version of the Newtype; if thats the case , we'll probably see more characters with this ability. Given how protective Elnora was to Suletta, her being genetically modified without her knowledge/consent, seems unlikely. Though it does bring up some possibilities. Maybe some kind of process was done to Suletta prior to being born (ie a surgery to save her actually secretly modified her, like the Coordinators). Other than that it could be some rare natural ability (Given how common Newtypes were through parts of the UC, they couldn't exactly be considered rare. This might be something like
Spoiler
Chrico's Overman capabilities in Votoms, with only one in several billon possessing's them.

Lastly the post credit scene shows the Daribalde in action.
Spoiler
It's a powerful unit that seemingly outright destroys two other units. This brings up the question of who is piloting it, is it someone we know, or a new character? Also maybe whoever it is will be chosen by Delling for his Duel with Miorine
SonicSP

I'm personally going with Suletta is the first "Newtype" of sorts that can safely use Gund Technology to allow humankind to live in the stars/space much easier, like the theme mentioned in the Prologue. This also reminds me a bit of the thing in Deus Ex Human Revolution:
Spoiler
Where in that game, Adam Jensen is the first human to be able to use mechanical augmentations without limb rejections or Neuropozine injections. That was also one of the biggest opposition points of augmentation technology in that world, and he represented a big change the world that could overcome the limitations of the technology and open it up to way more people.
About Permet, my impression so far is that it connects humans to Gundams which allows it to output a lot of energy (..... somehow). Cos I notice the Gundams actual energy output seems to increase when the sync level is higher. It doesn't feel like it's "just" the man-machine connectivity improvements that's contributing to the performance. It's like a Psychoframe.

It feels a bit different than the Gundams in IBO where the huge output and man-machine Inferface were both factors, but can be used seperately. You could still use the former even when the latter is not being used.
Mafty

Definitely, there is something going on there. Especially because in the prolog the various people who could use GUND, had the veins in their face glow.

This also could lead to Ad Stella's version of the Cyber Newtype ; i.e. people eventually deliberately modifying themselves to reach the system, with the predictable bad results of this. And given how many issues there are with GUND to begin with...

On another note, Gundam News Facebook page mentioned some background in mechanical design info. Namely that each faction has it's own designer.

Gundam Aerial and Gundam Lfrith are designed by JNTHED(whose core frame somewhat resembles the units from IBO).

Grassley Defense Systems MS are designed by Kanetake Ebikawa(Which seem to mix Animal and Knight designs with visiors that look like the ones used in Gundam AGE)

Jeturk Heavy Machinery MS are designed by Ippei Gyoubu(the designs seen so far look like advanced UC designs, except for the Daribalde, which resembles some units from Reconguista in G, or the mechs from Re:Creators).

Peil Technologies mobile suits are designed by Wataru Inada(which are fairly unique, though there is sort of a cross design wise between Gundam Wing and Reconguista in G).

Takayuki Yanase and Kenji Teraoka work on designs for other MS and groups(most of which look pretty unique themselves), and apparently all the designers also work on the shows costuming and basic mechanical design.

This actually works quite well as their winds up being a continuity in design across each faction( kind of like Majestic Prince where they had different designers for the Alien mecha, the Earth Military mecha, and the Main characters mecha)
Dark Duel

Mafty wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:25 pm Definitely, there is something going on there. Especially because in the prolog the various people who could use GUND, had the veins in their face glow.
And since you mention that, even in the prologue, Suletta/Eri was singled out: On everyone else we saw, the glowing was red. When it happened with her, it was blue.

So I definitely think there's something special about her.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
SonicSP

I wonder whether the others needed implants to even connect to the Gund, while Eri was able to do it naturally? In fact, how DO you connect a direct man machine interface without one anyways?

Is it possible that she's a Newtype...type? She was wearing her normal rabbit theme spacesuit too so there's definitely no special equipment there.

They were no visible implants on her dad and and the other person but they could have had some. Judging by how the Gund Format is described, it sounded like you need some, like Alaya-Vijnana in IBO. Her mom already has the arm so she is definitely using something.
Mafty

True, also Lady Prospera wears a mask; granted this is likely due to hiding her identity, however she could also be like Carazzo Ronah (Yes I know Darth Vader did this first) ,and have the modifications hidden under the mask as well.

As for the Newtype like powers, maybe the pilot of Daribalde has these as well, certainly they seem to be quiet a skilled pilot, and they are also able to use a shield that can split into weapons.

It also possible that the pilot is someone we've seen before, it could be one of the kids who wasn't in the duel, Guel testing an upgrade, or even Kenanji Avery ( I doubt we've seen the last of him).
Kuruni

Lets I predict it. The first time Aerial will get roughed up would be against Beguir-Beu's successor, again by has its funnels disabled. But unlike in Prologue, it would get through the ordeal in triumph (likely with the introduction of the flight booster).
Last edited by Kuruni on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Underrated GM Custom

Mafty wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:25 pm Takayuki Yanase and Kenji Teraoka work on designs for other MS and groups(most of which look pretty unique themselves), and apparently all the designers also work on the shows costuming and basic mechanical design.
Looks like the grunt suit we saw in episode 1 with the knuckle shield was done by Kenji Teraoka. (https://twitter.com/kanatoko28/status/1 ... 0209546240) It's model number is TKG-328 and the name is カペル・クゥ. I've seen some folks translate it as Kappel Kuu, but an elongated u sound for Kuu is typically written as (ク--), I had always thought the small 'u' was meant to signify a glottal stop, so Ku' or Kuh may be more correct. Any translators want to weigh in?
Chris
Administrator

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:59 am Looks like the grunt suit we saw in episode 1 with the knuckle shield was done by Kenji Teraoka. (https://twitter.com/kanatoko28/status/1 ... 0209546240) It's model number is TKG-328 and the name is カペル・クゥ. I've seen some folks translate it as Kappel Kuu, but an elongated u sound for Kuu is typically written as (ク--), I had always thought the small 'u' was meant to signify a glottal stop, so Ku' or Kuh may be more correct. Any translators want to weigh in?
It's literally on screen on a popup display as Kapell-Kuu: https://randomc.net/image/Gundam/Gundam ... e%2012.jpg.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mafty

So is there any information out there on Dominicus battleship Ulysses? It looks kind of like if they flipped the Girty Lue from Seed Destiny upside down and attached the top of the Amanesel from Gundam X.

The rest of the mechs that participate in the attack on Folkvangr, come from the Grassley Defense Systems, so that's probably where they ship was made, but is there any more info?
Omega

Because of the novel and recalling details from the Witch from Mercury's Prologue, I think the reason Suletta can handle the system, is because of the implications of there being an AI in the Lfrith that likely got transferred over to the Aerial.