The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Underrated GM Custom

Re: The Official Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Anime Thread Mk I

Is the movie available streaming now or it still select theaters only? I won't be stateside for a few years so I'm waiting for it to hit online streaming.
Mafty

I can't find it streaming on Crunchyroll, Hi Dive or Amazon Prime, so it seems for the time being it is just in theaters(and I'm not exactly sure how long it will be in theaters either, it's probably region specific). That being said I seem to remember reading that it would make it to streaming services and possibly Blu Ray at some point.

It's a bit like the Macross release, it has made into event screenings, but their doesn't yet seem to be a date for physical copies or streaming.
BrentD15

So, I watched it today on Gundam Info's channel, and I can honestly say it was just okay.
I have no idea what Doan's deal was with the Southern Cross team. They barely exist as characters at all, and they feel wasted on the movie.
Heck, Doan barely has any dialogue at all in this movie. He barely talks with Amuro about anything except how to garden. He doesn't even talk to Egbart about their time in the squad.
I'm glad I got to watch Gundam again, but I wouldn't pick this movie up again. I can't recommend it.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Seto Kaiba

Watched Cucuruz Doan's Island on YouTube over the weekend and I was not impressed.

While I agree with the film's creative team that there really wasn't anything wrong with the story of the TV version, the cost of correcting the original TV episode's lamentably poor animation was spreading the story intolerably thin.

It's really painfully obvious that Cucuruz Doan's Island is a screenplay for a 23 minute episode and not a feature film. It's also really clear that the studio decided not to significantly rework the story, so the 20 minutes of actual story is broken up across almost two hours of film and bookended at every opportunity by quarter-hours of filler. There is probably a solid hour of this movie where absolutely nothing is going on. Another five to ten just with small children crying over trivial nonsense. It says a lot that the film's most interesting interactions have nothing to do with the White Base's crew, the titular island, or Cucuruz Doan.

Worse, despite having a runtime of 109 minutes to work with instead of 23, the story's antagonists are no better developed than a one-shot villain in the TV anime. There are five of these guys, they're the film's main antagonists, and they each have at most one character trait. Doan's successor is just the guy who's angry that Doan quit, and his teammates are "axe crazy", "smug sniper", "comparatively normal guy", and "woman who might be a love interest". Predictably, none of them last more than a minute or so except the boss, and they all die like chumps. The High Mobility Ground Zaku II's just a low-rent Dom, and these guys wish they were the Black Tri-Stars.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

And nothing can make up with removing Zaku hand-to-hand martial art.
My girlfriend was a loli.
BrentD15

Kuruni wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:53 am And nothing can make up with removing Zaku hand-to-hand martial art.
Zaku Arts: Fist of the Exploding Hermit! :lol:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25