The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

Agreed I'm feeling more 00 than Cherudim here. Interesting they are going with GUND-BIT. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as Gambit (or Gund-arms). I'm guessing in the show they'll be enunciating it as Gunda-bit.
Mafty

Nice to see more technical worldbuilding being revealed. It seems like the tech in the mechs started from work with artificial limbs, so it seems a bit like a cross between Gundam Thunderbolt and IBO with some of the concepts. Also interesting that the name Gundam in this series is because of a portmanteau of words together, similar to how in Gundam SEED, Gundam was itself an acronym.
SayuriUliana

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:57 am Agreed I'm feeling more 00 than Cherudim here. Interesting they are going with GUND-BIT. Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as Gambit (or Gund-arms). I'm guessing in the show they'll be enunciating it as Gunda-bit.
Most Japanese reviews read it more as "Gan Bitt-o", which tracks given that the "Gambit" pronunciation is how it's read off the katakana in the first place.
Mafty wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:47 am Also interesting that the name Gundam in this series is because of a portmanteau of words together, similar to how in Gundam SEED, Gundam was itself an acronym.
It also harkens back to the origins of the word "Gundam" IRL was a portmanteau, which was a combination of "Gun", and "Freedom" for "Gundom", which was later changed to "Gundam" to evoke the image of a "dam" that holds back enemy attacks like a dam holds back water.
Underrated GM Custom

Oh interesting, Gan-bitt rolls off the tongue much better even though it omits the 'd'.

Looking forward to seeing the Prologue soon.
SonicSP

Gun and Gund sound the same to me when I try to pronounce it.
PowerdGNFlag

New details about the Gundam Aerial and Guel's Dilanza from the previewed manuals for the corresponding HGs. (The pilot details are over in the anime thread, so here are the mecha details provided):

Gundam Aerial
Spoiler

Gundam Aerial

This is an MS that Suletta Mercury brought to the school. Its basic structure, with joints imitating the human body moved using EMTs [electric motors], is the same as the standards of the existing standard Mobile Suits manufactured by other countries. Although it can be operated by other normal pilots, its performance is greatly enhanced compared to conventional units when Suletta is its pilot. Its powers are channeled through a new mineral called Permet, and its features are reminiscent of the characteristics of the forbidden machines known as GUND-ARMs or "GUNDAMs", which adopt a GUND FORMAT MS System intended to expand the capabilities of the human body.
  • Beam Rifle

This is a portable weapon for Aerial. Bit Staves can be attached to make it a powerful long barrel weapon with enhanced output and accuracy.
  • Escutcheon

This is a multi-purpose offensive and defensive platform employing GUND-BIT, a next-generation remote-controlled swarm weapon system, that uses the GUND FORMAT to organically link humans and Mobile Suits. Each of the Bits (Bit Staves) can be detached to be used as mobile turrets with built-in beam cannons or as shields.
  • Bit on Form

The Bit Staves can attach to the hardpoints throughout the MS to quickly recharge their own power and propellant fuel, while enhancing the mobility and defensive abilities of Aerial.
  • Beam Saber

These are weapons for close-quarters combat that generate beam blades in conjunction with the sensors on the grips.
  • Shell Unit

This is a control terminal that enables transferring enormous amounts of data between the pilot and the MS. It emits light when the operating level of the GUND FORMAT reaches a certain level, such as when the GUND-BIT system is being used.
Guel's Dilanza
Spoiler
Guel's Dilanza

Among the basic MS Dilanza units developed by Jeturk Heavy Machinery, a number have been customized for their pilots. One of these has been modified to suit the piloting style of Guel Jeturk, heir to the company. Its outward appearance has been tailored to fit Guel's penchant for the ostentatious. Painted in a vivid magenta and fitted with a decorative headpiece, this unit embodies the skill and unbreakable self-confidence which made Guil, Asticassia's best pilot. It gives the impression that no other unit could be worthy of such a pilot.
  • Beam Partizan

A melee weapon option for the Dilanza. A polearm which can generate high convergence-rate beam blades extending from one end. For a melee weapon, it boasts a broad effective attack range.
  • Beam Rifle

A standard sidearm developed for MS units by Jeturk Heavy machinery. In addition to its burst attack, it boasts several other firing modes.
  • Beam Torch

A melee weapon common to all Dilanza units, with a broad beam blade. When not in use, it is stored in the weapon dock inside the shield.
  • Spike Shield

Defensive equipment attached to each shoulder, exclusive to this unit. Furnished with a spike, they can also serve as striking weapons.
  • Beam Vulcan

Beam weaponry affixed to the unit's chest. Due to the beam's low power and rapid-fire capability, it is largely used for diversionary tactics in duels.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Thanks for the new info!

I'm curious how they're going to thread the needle with Suletta's personally produced MS having blasphemous technology is allowed but we'll see when the show starts.

One thing I found interesting from the prologue was the bad-guy unit using a physical sword instead of a beam weapon. Hopefully we learn more about that.
PowerdGNFlag

One final round of MS updates for the official site ahead of the premiere next week. Not all of these are entirely new, since others have been shown in Gunpla first.
Dilanza
Zowort
Heindree
Demi Trainer
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Mafty

Agree with GM in that it will be interesting to see how /why Suletta's Gundam is allowed in school (that being said it seems as though many of the Elite students supply their own Mobile Suits, granted the suits themselves serve as product placements to the groups the student's represent). It will also be interesting to see who made the Gundam Ariel? As it isn't the same unit from the prolog, and Suletta's character bio only states that she and the unit are from Mercury.

It's also nice to see the rest of the MS units. As someone on Facebook said the main Dilanza looks somewhat like the Dijeh from Zeta Gundam. The Heindree looks a lot like the Vagan unit Dorado in the Baqto color scheme with a Federation style faceplate from AGE. The Demi Trainer Looks like the Catsith crossed with the Grimoire from Reconguista in G. By contrast the Zowort doesn't really seem to resemble anything from a previous series
Underrated GM Custom

To me the teal Dilanza looks like Ippei Gyoubu's take on a Gustav Karl (with a mini Marasai helmet). I like it, although I think the Pharact is my favorite design so far, several of its pieces remind me of my favorite Armored Core builds.
Underrated GM Custom

Having seen the first episode I'm curious if we'll get more information on beam weapons and how they function in this universe. The initial fight between the Dilanza and the grunt with the knuckle shield, the beams weapons didn't seem as destructive as something you'd see in UC, SEED or 00. Granted, Dilanza's pilot was playing with their opponent, but the opening strikes seemed to have little effect until the coup-de-grace. I wonder if they'll go into depth on armor materials, anti-beam coatings etc. are used on the Mobile Suits.

Also from the cockpit interior looks like they are labeling it as Gunbit vice Gundbit.

Looks like the grunt from EP1 is in the glossary as カペル・クゥ https://g-witch.net/words/#w15
Last edited by Underrated GM Custom on Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mafty

It almost seems as though the weapons are able to control their beam power (something that was actually alluded to all the way back in the UC series Victory Gundam). Indeed the suits are heavily damaged, yet the pilots survive (of course there could just as easily be a rule about not actually killing any one in combat at the school), because we defiantly saw the lethal power of the suits in the prologue. Also depending on how the series goes, we may see how powerful the suits at the school are in combat.

The Gundam Arirel definitely proved it's strength in battle with Suletta piloting it. So what exactly happened to the Lfrith? Was it modified into the Ariel, or are they two separate units? (I've put Google Translate on while visiting the site for the novel and mech info, but Google Translate isn't always the most accurate, so I probably missed some info).

Another technical detail shows that apparently the main space habitat in this series is the Front's (sort of like the the Axis residential block from ZZ combined with the City ships in Macross, design wise), though whether that they are the only type of colony remains to be seen.
SonicSP

If recent model kit announcements are to go by, it's possible that Lfrith may have been modified into a Seravee II lookalike.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bandai- ... r--1443224
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bandai- ... n--1443225

But there's two forms so it's not necessarily even the same Lfrith, especially since the other two units from the Prologue were called Pre Production Lfriths too.
Underrated GM Custom

Adjusting power makes sense. I've been thinking they might intentionally have a 'low power' setting since the duels are intended to be non-lethal. Plus, the less damaged the MS, the less repairs and costs go into it, and less downtime before the student is ready to train again. Then again, a sliced up MS might give the mechanics majors a lot of good training.

========BREAK========

The new Lfrith kit does remind me a lot of Seravee now that you mention it. My first thought was perhaps a Full Armor Lfrith. Then again it is Bandai so they might be going for the maximum amount of Lfrith packs, like an Aile Pack or a High Torque Pack :lol:
Mafty

The Lfrith also looks at bit like the Gusion Rebake Full City from IBO(mostly color scheme wise, but also a bit with the torso design).

Plus their being several prototype models seems a bit like the three Gundam MK II porotypes, with the two units units being used for spare parts. Granted it's not clear yet just how many mecha aside from the main Lfrith unit actually survived the prolog.
SonicSP

Mafty wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:36 am It almost seems as though the weapons are able to control their beam power (something that was actually alluded to all the way back in the UC series Victory Gundam).
This was done in Gundam 00 where they have a "simulation mode" for use in mock battles. Beam is weakened as to not cause damage while any parts that get hit will be stunned to simulate them not being there. Physical melee attacks are set to freeze right before the point of impact.

Specifically it was done in the first episode of the 00 Revealed Chronicles short story anime. They had Exia and Dynames fight each other in a physical mock battle to test their Double Drive Devise equipment sets.

https://youtu.be/LLtzyOBQCJc

If any similar modes are used in G-Witch, then the minimization is probably not done to the same extent seen in the 00RC, probably because Celestial Being are one team and they really don't want to damage their own mobile suits. The differing factions fighting in G-Witch likely care less about doing damage to another's unit.

Curious whether there's any rules on harming the rival pilot. On one hand, things can easily get out of hand if there aren't any rules and regulations like a possible beam minimizing mode being discussed here. On the other hand, in the old days dueling was used to settle disputes and if you die, you die. And the one duel we see so far has had massive political consequences that reveberate outside the school environment.
yazi88

I'm curious if the Aerial is the actual Lfrith prototype just rehauled or if its a new unit based on it...

The mini novel version apparently says the Aerial is sentient/has a AI... so I wonder if Suletta calls it her younger brother or sister like she did with the Lfrith prototype as she called that her little sister...
Underrated GM Custom

SonicSP wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 pm Specifically it was done in the first episode of the 00 Revealed Chronicles short story anime. They had Exia and Dynames fight each other in a physical mock battle to test their Double Drive Devise equipment sets.

https://youtu.be/LLtzyOBQCJc
Interesting, I've never seen this before. Is this like a promo / tie-in to sell Robot Damashii? Seeing quad-armed Dynames firing four beam pistols was pretty fun, along with the saber deflection.
Curious whether there's any rules on harming the rival pilot. On one hand, things can easily get out of hand if there aren't any rules and regulations like a possible beam minimizing mode being discussed here. On the other hand, in the old days dueling was used to settle disputes and if you die, you die. And the one duel we see so far has had massive political consequences that reveberate outside the school environment.
I was wondering the same thing. I think since it's a school and not a killing ground there are some bare minimum rules where killing isn't allowed (especially with corporate heirs being present at the school) otherwise it would risk internal warfare in the corporate conglomerate. But then you watch the episode and the Mobile Suits nearly crush someone, which seemed odd there would be no safety precautions in place for this kind of event.
SonicSP

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 amInteresting, I've never seen this before. Is this like a promo / tie-in to sell Robot Damashii? Seeing quad-armed Dynames firing four beam pistols was pretty fun, along with the saber deflection.
Yes it's a tie in to promote Metal Build Devise Exia, the Devise being a new equipment set. Metal Build are basically very expensive gunpla and sometimes they make exclusive sets for them.

Revised Chronicles is a short story of untold 00 stories. So far there's only been one short episode released last April where 00 director Seiji Mizushima returned to direct it.
Dark Duel

As was the case with Lfrith during the prologue, I seem to be going back and rewatching the duel in this episode over and over again. I've watched it maybe seven or eight times in the past couple of days, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I admit to being curious to see what the next step is going to be from a tech standpoint, since we're seeing remote weapons already right off the bat. I'm also really curious to see what Pharact will bring to the table tech-wise, so can't wait to see that one.

On which note - and I say this as someone who as a general rule dislikes remote weapons - but watching the deployment and movement of the GUND-Bits...it's an absolute thing of beauty. Aesthetically and visually, might just be the best iteration of the concept I think we've ever seen so far.
Also, I absolutely love the sound effect that plays when the shield deflects beam fire. Might just be I think the most memorable/iconic sound effect since the Beam Magnum.
SonicSP wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 pm This was done in Gundam 00 where they have a "simulation mode" for use in mock battles. Beam is weakened as to not cause damage while any parts that get hit will be stunned to simulate them not being there. Physical melee attacks are set to freeze right before the point of impact.

Specifically it was done in the first episode of the 00 Revealed Chronicles short story anime. They had Exia and Dynames fight each other in a physical mock battle to test their Double Drive Devise equipment sets.
Huh. First I've heard of/seen that equipment. Kind of interesting. I remember reading a while back that Ian Vashti had theorized/experimented with the idea of combining two GN Drives even before they got the data for the Twin Drive System, but never actually pulled off completing it. I guess this is where that idea came from.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."