Project G: Upcoming Grendizer Project

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Re: Project G: Upcoming Grendizer Project

I liked Arc; but it did have a limited budget, and ending on a cliffhanger was anti climatic to say the least. That being said I really hope we get a sequel, or a movie.

Given how popular Nagai's work has been lately , it seems like this could happen.
branman88

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:36 am I haven't read any of the Ota stuff, how does the ending differ?
Spoiler
In the Ota manga Duke loses his patience with Earth and to keep it safe from the Vegan Empire and themselves, Duke decides to conquer Earth himself with the Grendizer. Tensions break out between parties including the Empire and the Earth's government. Sayaka finds the ancient machine Raaga and manages to escape the carnage and get the others to safety before nuclear war breaks out. However, as the nuclear war continued Raaga's programming to wipe out humanity in case of nuclear war activates. The Grendizer gives chase, but Koji and Hikaru disengage and even when Grendizer caught up, Raaga causes a tidal wave that washes away the continents ending the nuclear war but also human civilization. Koji and Hikaru go to find survivors from the carnage while Duke, Maria, and Sayaka have entered a sort of hibernation deep beneath the Earth along with Raaga and Grendizer. Zuril had also managed to survive and decided to help bring the Earth back to life and repent for his sins.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
Underrated GM Custom

Mafty wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:43 am I liked Arc; but it did have a limited budget, and ending on a cliffhanger was anti climatic to say the least. That being said I really hope we get a sequel, or a movie.

Given how popular Nagai's work has been lately , it seems like this could happen.
The Getter Arc manga also ends on the same cliffhanger, although during the runtime they teased that Go Nagai would guest-write the ending to give some conclusion but that ended up being mostly a nothing-burger.

Also, Getter is Ken Ishikawa not Go Nagai; Ishikawa is an apprentice to Nagai and they used his name when Getter first launched but it's Ken Ishikawa's premier work.
branman88 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:37 pm Ota Ending
Wow that's incredibly grim, if they go that route it'll be a mature OVA for sure.
Mafty

The Ota ending seems about as dark as Nagai's ending to Devilman. That being said many Nagai adaptions keep their darker content(yes I know Getter is Isikawa); plus there have been many dark Mecha Anime aimed at an older crowd(Ideon, Zeorymer, Iczer 1, Bokurano), so an adaptation of a darker storyline isn't exactly impossible.
branman88

Ota's version of Great Mazinger is has a dark ending too:
Spoiler
Dr. Kenzo gets killed when Great Marshall of Hell attacks the main base, and Tetsuya goes to fight Hell by himself, which leads to him sacrificing himself by blowing up Great killing Hell.
Underrated GM Custom

Do Kouji and Sayaka not return in Ota's ending of Great?
Mafty

So when exactly did Ota write Great Mazinger? Because that ending (SPOILER) seems a lot like the ending of Zeorymer's OVA from the late 80's, where Masato and Miku blow themselves up along with Hau Dragon (Granted Yuratei basically invited them over to do just that), If Ota's manga is from the 70's Zeorymers ending could be a reference to that(Zeorymer was after all a dark Super Robot series for the Seinen crowd, so throwing a refrence to work the audience would recognize seems likely).
branman88

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:26 am Do Kouji and Sayaka not return in Ota's ending of Great?
Spoiler
Yes, Kouji at the end of Ota's Mazinger he was badly injured and turned into a cyborg. They both show up at the end of Great to help, but Mazinger and Diana are heavily damaged leaving Tetsuya to fight on his own.
Mafty wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:18 pm So when exactly did Ota write Great Mazinger?
Underrated GM Custom

Ah I see, so the relatively happy ending of Great Mazinger gets a bit more grimdark. Sounds interesting but I think I prefer the original myself.