The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Underrated GM Custom

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Yeah it kind of looks like a chunkier version of Akito's Aestivalis frame, although not as large as the artillery frame.
Mafty

There doesn't seem to be any staff shared between the two shows(and there are four separate mech designers, so I'm not sure exactly who designed the Aestivalis, Was it Yasuhiro Moriki? Moriki seems to have the most consistent career as a Mech designer out of the four).

If they don't share staff, then maybe the design is a bit of a shout out to the previous series. Mech series often seem to do shout outs to each other(especially obscure shout outs) and both series involve a colonized Solar System.
SonicSP

I am hyped for the show after watching the Prologue. The politics look fairly interesting, seems to have some of the standard Earth vs Spacenoid thing but with a oligopolical corporations twist. The Gund tech stuff is fairly interesting as well and I can see that being the thing that makes Gundams so strong and feared in this world.

Would be interesting to see how this all plays out in the school setting.
Mafty

Especially because the plot is more serious than it seemed at first with the school setting. I wonder if it will be something like Mai-Hime with the school and battles giving way to a full scale conflict.
SonicSP

Curious whether Suletta being there is some sort of espionage mission, especially since so many other corporations heirs are also there.
Mafty

That could be the case. Especially when you consider (SPOILERS) Sulettea is the orphaned daughter of rebels. I doubt a school run by the Power Blocs her parents opposed would be to keen on having her there if they knew her true identity(for a similar example, just look what Slaine is put through in Aldnoah Zero).
SonicSP

https://youtu.be/5YGW2JRxWUU

Prologue episode just got officially released by Sunrise on GundamInfo.

I assume there are region restrictions, though not sure what they are. Works for my country though.
Kuruni

Great set up. I didn't cry, but the battle is both great and deeply wrong (in a good way) that I feel a little sick in my gut. Prologue usually left you exciting and can't wait for the first episode, this one left me solemn and resolve to wait patiently until the first episode.

It's too bad that the granny doesn't survive, her short screen time already establish that she's a very interesting character.
My girlfriend was a loli.
PowerdGNFlag

SonicSP wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:06 am I assume there are region restrictions, though not sure what they are. Works for my country though.
It's available to stream everywhere except Japan (where it will likely be uploaded on the Gundam Channel instead; so far is not yet in there).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

SonicSP wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:06 am https://youtu.be/5YGW2JRxWUU

Prologue episode just got officially released by Sunrise on GundamInfo.

I assume there are region restrictions, though not sure what they are. Works for my country though.
Excellent, thanks for sharing! From the last news release I read I was expecting it to come out on the Sept 1st (US Time). It's bit late where I'm at so I'll check it out tomorrow.
PowerdGNFlag

To coincide with the release of PROLOGUE on JP streaming services, a new PV was released, together with the new key visual, a sample of the OP (祝福/"The Blessing" by YOASOBI) and new updates on the Character and Mobile Suit pages on the official website[s].
Mafty

That was a great prologue. I'll admit I wasn't really sure to start with how the show was going to go, but it looks very interesting so far. I wonder how school oriented the series is actually going to be. I think it could well be something like Soukou no Strain where the school setting gives way to all out warfare(it helps that there's already war and strife going on in both shows, with the school setting providing a brief break from it).

After seeing the prologue and updated character bios(SPOILER) what does everyone think of Miorine Rembran? Do you think she knows of her fathers actions and that's why she rebels against him? Do you think she might leave his group and join Suletta? It's probably too early to tell but she seems to have some vague Sayla vibes.
Underrated GM Custom

Finally saw the prologue. I'm very intrigued to see Gundam go in cyberpunk direction for this AU, using cybernetics to survive in space vice the genetic engineering we saw in SEED; it looks to be the major plot points in the show as well, whereas Naturals and Coordinators had more of a backdrop role in SEED.

The tone is a lot darker than I expected. I wasn't expecting something that heavy out of the prologue based on some of the other marketing. I'm curious if they'll continue with this tone, or if they will reset in EP1 and do a darker turn later in the show.
SonicSP

I personally suspect the darkness will be toned down in the series at least at the start but I honestly don't mind if it stays this way. Sometimes shows like to start with a strong theme to create a good first impression.
PowerdGNFlag

New details about Suletta and Guel from the previewed manuals for the HG Gundam Aerial and HG Guel's Dilanza. (The MS and weapon details are over in the mecha thread, so here are the character bios provided):
  • Suletta Mercury

She is a girl who transferred to the school's Pilot Department from the Mercury Front. She is the pilot of the Gundam Aerial developed on Mercury. She has spent time with Aerial ever since she was a child and treats it as a member of her family.
  • Guel Jeturk

Heir to Jeturk Heavy Machinery, one of the three branches of the Beneritt Group. Head of the Dueling Committee at Asticassia School of Technology. He is recognized as the school's best pilot, denoted by the title of Holder, at the time when Suletta enrolls.
Underrated GM Custom

SonicSP wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:35 pm I personally suspect the darkness will be toned down in the series at least at the start but I honestly don't mind if it stays this way. Sometimes shows like to start with a strong theme to create a good first impression.
Yeah I wouldn't mind that tone consistent throughout as well, but I get the feeling it will be a lot lighter in the beginning with a darker twist midway. One thing I'm hoping is that they won't lean into school antics as much as Code Geass did, which at times was a bit jarring with the rebellion half of the story.
Mafty

Agreed with the tone shift in Code Geass being rather jarring (I remember one episode began with a life or death battle in a city, and ended with wacky school hijinks, it kind of killed the momentum the first half of the episode built up so well) the same thing happened in My-HiME and My-
Otome, in both cases the fanservice hijinks lasted so long, that the darker story was kind of shoved into the last third of the show. Hopefully the tone might be more like that old Sunrise show Vifam; it did a very good job of mixing lighthearted comedy, with serious drama and battles, plus it had great character development.

This is of course assuming the show even has a lighter tone to start with. It might be closer to École du Ciel, which was rather more dramatic to start with. That being said does anyone else think that École du Ciel might have been kind of an influence (ie Female protagonist, Mech training school setting)? It seems like sometimes Gundam does plot homages to works that aren't likely to get animated. For example Gaia Gear is non canon, but they retconned the Manhunter Attachment quite well in into Gundam Hathway, Or how Gundam AGE seemingly put in space pirates, so that a Gundam show could actually have space pirates since it's not like they'll ever make a Crossbone Gundam Anime.
Kuruni

I have but one wish. That the show will hint the audience that Suletta's last name is fake with Bohemian Rhapsody being her favourite song.

With that, we'll have both robots and Mercury. The only thing still missing will be a gorilla.
My girlfriend was a loli.
SonicSP

Mafty wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:11 am Agreed with the tone shift in Code Geass being rather jarring (I remember one episode began with a life or death battle in a city, and ended with wacky school hijinks, it kind of killed the momentum the first half of the episode built up so well)
Maybe I'm just not remembering the episode well enough but I never ever felt that about any episode of Code Geass ever.
SonicSP

https://en.gundam.info/news/video-music/02_7331.html

G-Witch Episode 1 simulcast plan has been postponed to a later date for now.

--------------
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... il/.190325

Also, the second cour of G-Witch will air next April. So the show will run for one cour, take a break, then resume the second cour in April. So at least two cours confirmed.