How powerful was the Hyaku Shiki?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Mafty

How powerful was the Hyaku Shiki?

By comparsion to the other AEUG units, How powerful was the Hyaku Shiki? Would it be considered more powerful than the Gundam MK II? Would it be on the same level as the Zeta? Also why was the Hyaku Shiki given a second unit? Was there always a replacement unit built by Anaheim that was given to the AEUG at the start of a new war? Or did Anaheim build a new unit? It just seems odd they'd send a replacement older unit, instead of more new units(I think that was in the original series plan).
Seto Kaiba

Re: How powerful was the Hyaku Shiki?

Mafty wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:30 pm By comparsion to the other AEUG units, How powerful was the Hyaku Shiki? Would it be considered more powerful than the Gundam MK II? Would it be on the same level as the Zeta? Also why was the Hyaku Shiki given a second unit? Was there always a replacement unit built by Anaheim that was given to the AEUG at the start of a new war? Or did Anaheim build a new unit? It just seems odd they'd send a replacement older unit, instead of more new units(I think that was in the original series plan).
By specs, the Hyaku Shiki is slightly less powerful than the Gundam Mk.II. It has slightly more weight, slightly less thrust, slightly worse sensors, less generator output, and all... its only advantage is more verniers.

The Hyaku Shiki was originally developed as the Delta Gundam, a predecessor to the Zeta Gundam. It had unresolvable design issues as a transformable MS, so the design was made non-transforming.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 pm
its only advantage is more verniers.

I guess also the pretty dubious and cheesy golden anti-beam coating. Which is not really shown to be really up to its claims. Unlike ZZ which had a scene where it is soaked in a large diameter beam and came out almost unscathed, Hyakushiki's leg was pretty much rendered vulnerable after a near miss by The-O's beam rifle and then even the very low output Qubeley funnel can blow the whole leg off.
Mafty

Agreed, I always thought the Hyaku Shiki Golden coating looked kind of cheesy, granted that's because the series is from 1985 and had a tv budget, so they had to make due with coating it in an odd bright yellow. The SUMO from Turn A, The Unicorn Phenex from Narrative and Akatsuki from Seed Destiny all work better with the whole Gold Design.

It seems as though there was a spare Hyaku Shiki unit from Anaheim (something that happens quite often in Gundam, and it seems as though there was more than one Methuss unit). Plus given the short turn around between the Gryps War ending and the Neo Zeon war beginning , there would really not be enough time to build too many different designs and ship them to the Argama (The Argama takes a few weeks at least to get the whole ZZ Gundam, the Argama never gets more Rick Dias, Nemo's or replacement pilots other than the Gundam team, the ZZ and Mega Rider can actually have several pilots each, and the Nahel Argama gets introduced so late in the war; it's a wonder it was made at all, especially give how the AEUG Leadership didn't actually want to do anything with it).

Out of universe its actually kind of interesting given how merchandise driven Gundam could be at time, that more new AEUG units weren't actually seen during the sequel series(in fact some production material suggests that there would actually have been more new units introduced in one proposed draft). It's also a bit more realistic(well as realistic as a mech show can get) that there wouldn't actually be multiple new units for the devastated AEUG.

This actually reminds me of an article posted a few weeks ago about the production of F91. Where the mech designers were feeling burnout over the tight schedule and multiple new designs. So they came up with the idea that the stagnant Federation constantly used older designs (like the Clop and Jeagan) for decades as a cost cutting measure.
Underrated GM Custom

MythSearcher wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:52 pm
Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 pm
its only advantage is more verniers.

I guess also the pretty dubious and cheesy golden anti-beam coating. Which is not really shown to be really up to its claims. Unlike ZZ which had a scene where it is soaked in a large diameter beam and came out almost unscathed, Hyakushiki's leg was pretty much rendered vulnerable after a near miss by The-O's beam rifle and then even the very low output Qubeley funnel can blow the whole leg off.
Wasn't the purpose of those scenes to show that Haman and Scirocco were able to use their impressive Newtype abilities to land their shots on Hyaku Shiki's exposed joints which didn't have the anti-beam coating. Thus showing they were a more serious threat (and Newtype) than Char the previous show's villain.
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm
Wasn't the purpose of those scenes to show that Haman and Scirocco were able to use their impressive Newtype abilities to land their shots on Hyaku Shiki's exposed joints which didn't have the anti-beam coating. Thus showing they were a more serious threat (and Newtype) than Char the previous show's villain.
Well, the beam didn't land on the joints iirc.
Scirocco's shot is a near miss that only kinda passed very close to the leg(with golden armour).
Haman's shots might be more precise, but still kinda gave me the impression those shots were landed on where the ABC was evapourated.
Mafty

For some reason the Hyaku Shiki always seemed as though it suited Char/Quattro the best, as the custom units often seem specialized to the just the pilot, particularly if they are a Newtype. That being said the Hyaku Shiki was something of a testbed for experimental weaponry, which may explain why it was easier for others to pilot, and why they made more.

As for Haman and Scirocco , they were very powerful Newtypes. So I agree with GM Custom that maybe Char was overwhelmed by their power.
Underrated GM Custom

I'm fairly positive either Scirocco or Haman mention something about finding a weakness with the Hyaku Shiki prior to dismembering it. I'll take a look at the episode when my house hold goods arrive. Now scheduled for September, patience is a virtue they say
Mafty

I seem to remember an episode where Mouar severely damaged the Hyaku Shiki. It seems it lost an arm and had it's back unit damaged. So maybe it really is the result of powerful foes fighting each other. Mouar was easily one of the better pilots in the Titans, and compared to people like Yazan, one of the more stable ones as well.