Macross 7 and Frontier Timeline.

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Macross 7 and Frontier Timeline.

So various Gundam series have official Timelines, as does the first Macross. So are their any official Timelines for 7 ,Frontier and Delta?
Seto Kaiba

Re: Macross 7 and Frontier Timeline.

Mafty wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:49 am So various Gundam series have official Timelines, as does the first Macross. So are their any official Timelines for 7 ,Frontier and Delta?
Those three titles are all part of the same timeline.

Kawamori et. al. favor a broad strokes attitude towards continuity with respect to the different versions of any given Macross story, but in official terms Macross has only two timelines: the current/ongoing timeline established with/for Macross 7 and Macross Plus and the "Parallel World" timeline of Macross II: Lovers Again.

The main difference between the two in production terms is which version of the First Space War they were based on. Macross II's parallel world timeline treats Macross: Do You Remember Love? as the more accurate of the depictions, with the Zentradi depicted as fighting their forever war against the all-female Meltrandi. The ongoing Macross timeline that was established later treats the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series as the more accurate of the two plot-wise, with the Zentradi being in perpetual war with the unseen Supervision Army and eventually fighting a war against the Supervision Army's creators, the Protodeviln.

Macross II's parallel world timeline consists of:
  • Macross: Do You Remember Love? (2009-2010)
  • Macross: Flash Back 2012 (2012)
  • Macross 2036 (2036)
  • Macross: Eternal Love Song (2037)
  • Macross II: Lovers Again (2092)
While the current/ongoing Macross timeline contains pretty much everything else aside from non-Studio Nue media:
  • Macross Zero (2008)
  • Super Dimension Fortress Macross (2009-2012)
  • Macross: Flash Back 2012 (2012)
  • Macross M3 (2014-2030)
  • Macross: Do You Remember Love? (2031 in-universe movie)
  • Macross Plus (2040)
  • Macross 7 (2045-2046)
  • Macross 7 Trash (2046)
  • Macross 7: the Galaxy is Calling Me! (2046)
  • Macross Dynamite 7 (2047)
  • Macross Digital Mission VF-X (2048)
  • Macross VF-X2 (2050-2051)
  • Macross the Ride (2058)
  • Macross Frontier (2059)
  • Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy (2060)
  • Macross Delta Gaiden: White Knight of the Black Wing (2060)
  • Macross Delta Gaiden: Macross E (2062)
  • Macross Delta (2067)
  • Macross Delta: Absolute Live!!!!!! (2068)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Chris
Administrator

Seto Kaiba wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:42 pm
Mafty wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:49 am So various Gundam series have official Timelines, as does the first Macross. So are their any official Timelines for 7 ,Frontier and Delta?
Those three titles are all part of the same timeline.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that by "timeline" OP meant a chronology of events for each series, like this: https://macross.anime.net/wiki/Category:Chronology
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mafty

Yes, thank you for the replies, it's always neat to go more in depth on a series timeline.
Seto Kaiba

So... the Macross Compendium has a (fairly) detailed timeline of the events of Macross shows where dates are given in official materials, except for Macross Delta. The translators contributing to it, myself included, are pretty apathetic towards Macross Delta as a whole and haven't yet bothered to extract that info from the Japanese Blu-ray liner notes.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

Admittedly I'm not that interested in Delta either (I still debate whether or not to buy the eventual Blu-Ray release), so it's mostly limited to shows I'm really in to. I remember the old Gundam Guide (which I think Mark Simmons worked on) has an some of the official timelines in the Margins. And most of the Gundam series have detailed timelines (except for Gundam X, Seed Destiny, and AGE, I think) It makes sense that these came from Blu Ray release(or earlier from websites or magazines or something).

Again thanks for the information, it's really neat to see the background details, and both Gundam and Macross have a lot of background material.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:13 pm Admittedly I'm not that interested in Delta either (I still debate whether or not to buy the eventual Blu-Ray release), so it's mostly limited to shows I'm really in to. I remember the old Gundam Guide (which I think Mark Simmons worked on) has an some of the official timelines in the Margins. And most of the Gundam series have detailed timelines (except for Gundam X, Seed Destiny, and AGE, I think) It makes sense that these came from Blu Ray release(or earlier from websites or magazines or something).
Gundam, as ever, tends to have a huge number of artbooks and magazine articles... Macross Delta was extremely stingy with its information, seemingly in a bid to drive merchandise sales, so the artbooks it has are mainly character-focused and much of the mecha and setting info only came from various merchandise items. The first actual look at the specs for the VF-31 and Sv-262, for instance, came not from an artbook or any magazine (though there was a fair amount of coverage in Great Mechanics G) but from an insert in a line of small model kits from TOMYTEC. The limited edition series Blu-ray liner notes were the only real source for a lot of information about the series, esp. for stuff like the dates of events in the story.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

Sounds kind of like how the MCU put some (but nowhere near all) backstory and plot points to their movies in special edition comics releases. This can honestly make it hard to find all the information: as it would be either too expensive to buy every single piece of merchandise , or it falls into the issue of stuff being not being released internationally creating plot holes (i.e. The Prince of Darkness never had the interquel video game released internationally, and the movie didn't help explain things either).