Stark Jegan - Clay Bazooka

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Underrated GM Custom

Stark Jegan - Clay Bazooka

In the opening of Gundam Unicorn we see a Stark Jegan firing a very wide scatter shot at the Kshatriya from its bazooka. Is this the same kind of scatter shot that the Clay Bazooka fired or something different? The three large missiles on its shoulders also appear to be carrying a similar payload.
Arsarcana

Re: Stark Jegan - Clay Bazooka

It's not the exact same thing since they're not the same weapons and probably don't use the same ammunition but it's presumably the same concept at work.
Underrated GM Custom

Interesting, the clay bazooka in the Zeta seemed like a neat trick but the ball bearing type ammunition seemed more of an irritant causing damage to vulnerable areas like the main camera. It's been a while but I forget how effective it was during the Lila Milla Rira arc.

I wonder if the Stark Jegan's loadout was using those for a specific purpose? Perhaps they're more useful for disabling a MS without destroying it, or perhaps the scattering shots might be better able to deal with funnels and their prior intel indicated they'd be facing a MS with those capabilities.
Mafty

It seems to be the Hyper Bazooka, which can fire either normal rounds or Scatter Shot rounds, for use in a wide area. So it seems they can modify the weapon based on the needs of the mission. Given how many Spec Ops and heavily armed MS are present at Industrial 7, it seems ECOAS (correctly) guessed there would be a big battle.
Seto Kaiba

Master Archive mentions several different types of ammunition for the hyper bazooka including two separate types of submunition rounds... one being the aforementioned shot shell and another with armor-piercing submunitions.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:44 am In the opening of Gundam Unicorn we see a Stark Jegan firing a very wide scatter shot at the Kshatriya from its bazooka. Is this the same kind of scatter shot that the Clay Bazooka fired or something different? The three large missiles on its shoulders also appear to be carrying a similar payload.
I believe the name Clay Bazooka came from the Claymore mine.

However, likely due to the person writing early settings(who only saw the name as clay bazooka on the pic the mecha designer wrote next to the weapon) didn't know the name of the mine and wrote up the whole adhesive projectile(HESH/HEP) idea because of the name clay.
Underrated GM Custom

That's a good idea, the ball-bearing type ammunition of the clay bazooka would make a lot of sense.

As I recall the Clay Bazooka had 3 firing modes, one for regular explosive shells, one for the scatter shot we see against the Asshimar for example, and a third type that is never shown in the animation but is kind of like the bird-lime launcher on the Rick Dias. There was a post about it a while back, let me see if I can find it...

Yeah here it is: viewtopic.php?p=240423#p240423

I believe the MK-II has its own Bazooka instead of an officially designated Clay Bazooka, this would give further credence to all the Federation bazookas having the ability to use a scatter shot type round. I'm guessing they're not often used since they're not as destructive, although I can see them being quite useful when dealing with funnels. It's easier to hit a smaller moving target when you increase your shots by a few hundred.