The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Getting sort of a Fire Emblem Three Houses vibe from the world and character profile info.
Underrated GM Custom

What I assume will be the antagonist or rivals Mech (darker shaded, resembles AC) looks really interesting. Are all the designs by Ippei Gyoubu?
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 pm What I assume will be the antagonist or rivals Mech (darker shaded, resembles AC) looks really interesting. Are all the designs by Ippei Gyoubu?
Only the Dilanza (which he confirmed in a tweet). The breakdown of the designers for the currently-announced units are as follows:
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Dark Duel

Strictly speaking this is more a mech than an anime comment per se, but I am exceedingly curious about the Pharact, myself. The enormous, articulated heels look to me to actually be more the back panels of the leg armor, which is on a joint for some reason. Additionally, those six "eyes" on its torso, shoulder binders, and hips look to me like they could be sensors. At the same time, while the shoulder binders look to me like they've got thrusters, there appears to be something on the inside that looks like it could be a weapon, and it has that long, skinny rifle.

I'm speculating here, but a high-mobility unit capable of high-precision long-range attacks? That's kinda interesting to me.

The character designs all look kinda interesting too. Can't wait to see this one.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Underrated GM Custom

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Only the Dilanza (which he confirmed in a tweet). The breakdown of the designers for the currently-announced units are as follows:
I was going to ask you if you had a link to those but looks like you already did! :lol: The one downside to dark mode is it makes the links blend in pretty readily. I recognize Kanetake Ebikawa from 00 (Exia designer as I recall) but don't recognize the other two off hand. What other mecha series have they worked on?
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:46 am
PowerdGNFlag wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm Only the Dilanza (which he confirmed in a tweet). The breakdown of the designers for the currently-announced units are as follows:
I was going to ask you if you had a link to those but looks like you already did! :lol: The one downside to dark mode is it makes the links blend in pretty readily. I recognize Kanetake Ebikawa from 00 (Exia designer as I recall) but don't recognize the other two off hand. What other mecha series have they worked on?
JNTHED's anime mecha work is pretty slim so far (his other anime credit is mecha design for the Spriggan Netflix series), but his biggest contribution to mecha so far seems to be designing for the Metal Gear Solid games throughout the noughts (in particular the PSP games).

On the other hand Koh Inaba (sometimes credited as Wataru Inada) has done some prop work for all seasons of Tensura, and mechanical design for the latest Macross Delta movie.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Mafty

So Inaba goes by two different names, that explains why the first was so hard to find.

Also does anyone else find that some of these mechs have shout outs to previous designs? The Pharact looks kind of like a slimmed down version of the Kabakali from G-Reco. The Dilanza looks like a cross between the Hecate from G-Reco (down to its bright Purple and Black color scheme) and the Verethragna from the third Euerka Seven movie( granted Ippei Gyoubu worked on both of these Gundam series). Meanwhile the Michaelis really seems to have a Gundam AGE vibe, being that it largely resembles the Genoace Custom(Again Ebikawa designed both).
Underrated GM Custom

Ah interesting, I played Peace Walker but never got around to playing portable OPS. Well, always good to see newer talent working on mainline series; so far I'm really enjoying the mecha designs they've revealed in Witch from Mercury. I'm really hoping it will have the same animation budget and fluidity we saw in G-Reco.
Mafty

Agreed, G-Reco had a detail issue when it came to character design (I've heard it theorized that this was because Sunrise was working on a ton of different series at once) But it had great mechanical and battle animation (even more so in the G-Reco movies, which fix a lot of the issues the series had, not just the animation).

It'll also be interesting to see Witch from Mercury's take on colonization. Do you think there will be space colonies in orbit? Or maybe it will be terraformed like in Iron Blooded Orphans or Dream of the Black Rabbit, Or even domed cities like Chrome Shelled Regios or that Astray spin off set on Mars. Given how inhospitable Mercury actually is (there is a reason Mars is most often colonized in fiction).

From what little we see in promo images it almost looks like a Halo or Ringworld style Rotating Wheel Space Station(which was actually rejected from the Original Gundam because Mobile Suits wouldn't fit in it), Though maybe it's something like a Dyson Sphere (like in Valvrave)?
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I just saw the prologue. There is no sub so it is hard to understand but it seems there are normal humans and there is a conflict with humans that are modified to live in space. Can't wait for someone to explain it all. The Gundams also have a clear area in the chest and head that has lights that remind me of Zone of the Enders
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

Some of the mechs also seem to be a combination of other Gundam units from previous series. (Spoilers) The Heingra looks like a bulkier Genoace from AGE painted like a Leo from Gundam Wing, The frame of the Gundams resembles the Gundam Frames in IBO (Think heavy armor and narrow lower legs and waist). The Beguir-Beu has large purple lights all over like the GNX from Gundam 00, plus it's head looks like Barara Peor's bunny helmet from Reconguista in G.

Also that modification thing is an interesting way to take the series. Previous series like SEED dealt with genetic modification, IBO had body modification for piloting and AGE showed the health issues inherent with living in space, so modifying humans to live in space makes sense. Of course it remains to be seen what other abilities the Space based humans may have.
John-Luck Pickerd

The space-modified humans sounds like the Abh with Gundam characteristics.
Underrated GM Custom

I wonder if Witch from Mercury will be using the normal vs enhanced humans as a major part of its storyline, ala SEED, or if its more of a minor subplot.
Mafty

It'll be interesting to see how this group of "Enhanced" Humans id depicted. Newtypes are an evolved form of humanity whose heightened mental awareness can lead to everything from remote controlled weaponry, to communicating with the dead, to healing people. The Coordinators are artificially modified to be stronger physically and mentally amongst other things. The X Rounders from AGE are basically Newtypes with a different name.

It almost seems as though the enhanced humans (is there an in universe name for them yet?) might be a mix of the Abh (Like John Luck said) and the Coordinators, notably in their skill at piloting mechs. They may even have Newtype like powers, depending on how the Funnels work.
BrentD15

I can definitely see some of IBO and G-Reco's influences with the mecha design, especially the Dilanza for Reco and IBO for Gundam Aerial.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Mafty

So what does everyone think the Space Colonization in this series will be? I'm thinking it will be a Dyson Sphere type module (I say type because a Dyson Sphere is supposed to go around a star, this will probably go around the planets themselves). It certainly looks like a module style colony from the trailers, so it could be like Valvrve with a module for the academy (as prestigious and important as the colony is, that makes sense). Plus a Dyson Sphere would probably work best around Mercury, that or an asteroid base, because Mercury is particularly inhospitable, but has many resources.
John-Luck Pickerd

Mafty wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:34 am So what does everyone think the Space Colonization in this series will be? I'm thinking it will be a Dyson Sphere type module (I say type because a Dyson Sphere is supposed to go around a star, this will probably go around the planets themselves). It certainly looks like a module style colony from the trailers, so it could be like Valvrve with a module for the academy (as prestigious and important as the colony is, that makes sense). Plus a Dyson Sphere would probably work best around Mercury, that or an asteroid base, because Mercury is particularly inhospitable, but has many resources.
Isnt the point of a Dyson sphere that it can use the sun at the center for energy?

That aside, if it is a dyson sphere it'll be a interesting coincidence with Seikai franchise that also had the space adapted people living in a dyson sphere
Mafty

Sorry I forgot about that. It would actually be better to do that. Also Valvrave apparently has an artificial sun for its Dyson Spheres. The Spheres seem like they could house more people than the Colonies, especially in deep space operations.
Iris Scope

The Dilenza mobile suit design reminds me of Martian Successor Nadesico's Aestivalis mecha.
Mafty

For some reason it kind of reminds me of the Verethragna from the third Eureka Seven Movie.