Forum design changes

Rules, forum announcements and tech support can be found here.
Chris
Administrator

Forum design changes

As everyone has probably seen, the forum has received a complete visual redesign. This is to bring it in line with a redesign of MAHQ that is scheduled to launch on April 1. Please use this thread if you have any technical issues using the forum, or if you have constructive feedback* to offer.

*NOTE: Constructive feedback means things like readability issues, etc, not just that you don't like it because it's different. Some reflexively oppose any major website redesign just because it's different than what they're used to. I understand that change isn't easy, but we're not looking for that type of commentary. If you sincerely have a concern or a suggestion to offer, we will hear it out.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

Re: Forum design changes

I don't know why but I keep getting logged off every few hours. I have to keep signing in. I deleted my cookies and such too.
Chris
Administrator

yazi88 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:27 am I don't know why but I keep getting logged off every few hours. I have to keep signing in. I deleted my cookies and such too.
What browser are you using? Also, make sure you're clearing both cookies and cache.
yazi88

I've been using google chrome, I cleared both cookies and cache too. I'll do it again now too.
Jamafore

Is there a way to set it to a 'dark mode'?

If it's in the settings, I'm not finding it.
QUOTE - Drudge Dreadnought - Bolter and Chainsword
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake a world if he has but a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."
Chris
Administrator

There is currently no option for a dark mode, but we will see if that can be implemented in the future.
SonicSP

Hello, I am hoping this is right place for this feedback of the new layout. May also belong in troubleshooting to be honest.

Composing and editing messages seems to be a lot harder for me in the new layout on my phone compared to the old one due to some scaling issues with the text box. So I am wondering whether this can be improved in the future?

So I'll give an example of what I mean, using something I posted/tried to edit the other day which is also when I discovered this issue for me.

Edit/Compose Screen:
http://imgur.com/wOZqZdc

So when I click on the text box as seen in the second pic, I can't seem to scroll left and right, only up and down once I press the text box. So as a result the right side of the text box composer is obsecured and I can't scroll there.

In this example, it would be the word "was" which can be seen in the posted message but not the compose/edit screen since it is to the right, which is obsecured. I can't seem to get to it either without using backspace to delete characters to get the obsecured word to move back in screen.

It is not an issue I run into often on my phone as most text boxes on forums work fine for me. For the moment though, I'm composing and editing in a note app and copy pasting back and forth.

In case it might help, I am using Samsung Internet Browser, running on Android 11 and using the Mobile Site version of the forum. Functionally everything else in the new layout appears to work so far for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Chris
Administrator

We'll look into it and also see if we can reproduce this issue on other browsers. Thanks for providing all the relevant details.
Dark Duel

yazi88 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:50 am I've been using google chrome, I cleared both cookies and cache too. I'll do it again now too.
I'm having the same issue in Safari. Clearing cookies/cache makes no difference.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

Its working fine for me since the 23th. I cleared cookies/cache. I'm staying logged in now with no other issues.
SonicSP

Might be related to the last few posts. When the new layout appeared, I had a log in issue where one bookmark (Mecha board) I used kept logged me out while another bookmark of a different page (Anime board) kept me logged in just fine.

I solved it by deleting the Mecha board bookmark that had the issue and then by creating a new bookmark of the same page while I'm logged in. Since then had no issues keeping me logged in.
Chris
Administrator

Jamafore wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:27 am Is there a way to set it to a 'dark mode'?

If it's in the settings, I'm not finding it.
UPDATE: There is now a toggle at the top of the navbar for a dark mode. It is a beta feature and may not work perfectly in all instances yet.
SonicSP wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:38 am Hello, I am hoping this is right place for this feedback of the new layout. May also belong in troubleshooting to be honest.

Composing and editing messages seems to be a lot harder for me in the new layout on my phone compared to the old one due to some scaling issues with the text box. So I am wondering whether this can be improved in the future?

So I'll give an example of what I mean, using something I posted/tried to edit the other day which is also when I discovered this issue for me.

Edit/Compose Screen:
http://imgur.com/wOZqZdc

So when I click on the text box as seen in the second pic, I can't seem to scroll left and right, only up and down once I press the text box. So as a result the right side of the text box composer is obsecured and I can't scroll there.

In this example, it would be the word "was" which can be seen in the posted message but not the compose/edit screen since it is to the right, which is obsecured. I can't seem to get to it either without using backspace to delete characters to get the obsecured word to move back in screen.

It is not an issue I run into often on my phone as most text boxes on forums work fine for me. For the moment though, I'm composing and editing in a note app and copy pasting back and forth.

In case it might help, I am using Samsung Internet Browser, running on Android 11 and using the Mobile Site version of the forum. Functionally everything else in the new layout appears to work so far for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.
UPDATE: This issue should be fixed now.
SonicSP

Thank you, Chris and team. It works well now. :)
Underrated GM Custom

I'll second the request for a dark mode, or perhaps a classic mode to have the same color schemes as the old mechatalk.
SonicSP

There's a beta Dark Mode toggle at the top now.
Dark Duel

Oh, cool. Dark Mode definitely looks better. Hopefully this feature sticks around.
On another note, I cleared cache/cookies a second time and this time it seems to have fixed the login issue I was having, so that's nice too.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS
// GUNPLA THREAD //

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Chris
Administrator

Dark Duel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:53 pm Oh, cool. Dark Mode definitely looks better. Hopefully this feature sticks around.
On another note, I cleared cache/cookies a second time and this time it seems to have fixed the login issue I was having, so that's nice too.
The dark mode will be a permanent feature unless it somehow causes some technical problem. We are aware that some graphics will need to be adjusted, so if anyone notices any issues with the dark mode, please let us know in this thread.
Underrated GM Custom

SonicSP wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:59 pm There's a beta Dark Mode toggle at the top now.
Thank you!! Much easier on the eyes. I do miss the old green text though, although I like the new MAHQ logo up top.
Jamafore

Thank you for the Dark Mode
QUOTE - Drudge Dreadnought - Bolter and Chainsword
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake a world if he has but a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."
SonicSP

I have a minor feature request.

On the old layout, when you look at the topic list, the latest poster name of each topic will be shown alongside an icon. Clicking on that icon will bring you to the latest post on the latest page.

This feature appears not to be available anymore in the new mobile site version (unsure about desktop). I was wondering whether it can be reimplemented?

It's far from a deal breaker or anything but it was still fairly useful for catching up on threads. Clicking on the latest page and scrolling down is more time consuming.