The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

Have at you.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Mecha Thread Mk I

https://twitter.com/renkonan/status/1508712401293611009

Gundam Aerial's design looks like a certain popular bishoujo character.
With healthy and not vulgar exposure of chest. (clear parts)
Small waist
Overwhelming thighs
Ankles so small that one will worry if it will break
SonicSP

Thicc.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I just saw the teaser, you guys think when the Gundam turns on the see through parts in the top shoulder pads, chest and head light up like an Orbital Frame from Zone of the Enders? Looked pretty cool
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Mafty

It also looks a bit like the Destroy mode of the Unicorn Gundam, then again ZOE predates the making of Gundam Unicorn, so maybe that's where they got the idea.
PowerdGNFlag

JP website has been updated with lineart and information for the MS that appeared in the Prologue short, but I assume that the EN site won't be updated until the English-language premiere of the episode next week at SDCC, so putting stuff not previously revealed under spoiler tags.

Gundam Lfrith
Spoiler
Front, Back, Front 2, Back 2
Affiliation: Ox Earth Corporation
Pilot: Elnora Samaya
A prototype developed by the Ox-Earth Corporation. It is one of the "GUND-ARM" mobile suits that employ the revolutionary GUND format of technology, and is equipped with a shield composed of a swarm weapon system called a Gambit.
Beguir-Beu
Spoiler
Front, Back, Front 2
Affiliation: Dominicos Corps
Pilot: Kenanji Avery
A mobile suit developed by Grassley Defense Systems. It is a high-performance machine that incorporates the latest technology in various areas, and was deployed by the Dominicos, a special forces unit of the Mobile Suit Development Council.
Spoiler 1
Spoiler
Gundam Lfrith Pre-Production Model
Front, Back
Affiliation: Ox Earth Corporation
A mass production type of the Gundam Lfrith manufactured by the Ox Earth Corporation. It is equipped with a large launcher that holds gun bits on its back.
Spoiler 2
Spoiler
Heingra
Front, Back
Affiliation: Dominicos Corps
A mass-production mobile suit made by Grassley. It is operated by the Dominicos as an accompanying machine for the Begilbeu.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Underrated GM Custom

Lfrith is an interesting name, although a bit hard to pronounce.

I always liked the shield bits on Cherudim so its nice to see another take on it. Although I am surprised they revealed the shield gimmick already, I guess this means funnels / bits will be standard technology from the get go.
Dark Duel

Guess so. I'm not sure how I feel about that because I'm generally not fond of the concept, but we'll see how it's implemented. I do find it interesting that a production-model Gundam variant is appearing in the prologue already though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mafty

The use of Bits and Funnels is always interesting, I wonder if this series will have a Newtype like link that controls them, or if there will be some other explanation.

Plus it's always neat to see mass produced Gundams in a series, especially as these seem to be about as powerful as the main Gundam units.
Underrated GM Custom

I wouldn't be surprised if the gambit (bits / funnels) require cybernetic enhancements for use and that the warring factions involves normal humans and enhanced humans.

I wonder if these pre-production type models will be more or less sturdy than a Leo? (Also the chest piece reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Armored Core torsos.)
PowerdGNFlag

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:01 am I wouldn't be surprised if the gambit (bits / funnels) require cybernetic enhancements for use and that the warring factions involves normal humans and enhanced humans.

I wonder if these pre-production type models will be more or less sturdy than a Leo? (Also the chest piece reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Armored Core torsos.)
The body of the pre-production Lfriths are identical to the white one except for the backpack (and its Gambit system, which functions more as "funnel missiles" than anything else)
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Mafty

So far the mass produced Gundam look bulkier and sturdier than most Federation (or Federation like organization) mass produced suits (which in the worst case end up removing everything that worked about the Gundams due to cost). It sort of reminds me of the Serpent (in the bulky mass produced MS style) and more visually the Windam (which actually looks as though they took more of what worked from the Gundams and put it into a mass produced MS), Granted the Windam still ended up as cannon fodder anyway...
SayuriUliana

From the HG Beguir-Beu instruction manual:
This is an MS developed by Grassley Defense Systems, one of the world's leading heavy industry manufacturers. It is a high-performance machine that incorporates the latest technology in various sections while following the basic structure of Mobile Suits where EMTs (electric motors) are used to move the joints that connect the Link (skeletal structure). This unit was deployed to the Dominicos Corps which consists of private soldiers of the MS Development Council formed by multiple MS manufactures. This is Ochs Earth Corporation's prototype unit that adopts revolutionary GUND FORMAT MS technology and its purpose is to destroy "Gundams," a new type of Mobile Suits that have the ability to overturn the power balance between Spacians and Earthians.
Non-Kinetic Pod wrote:This is an advanced version of the Permet/ECM Equipment that put an end to the Drone War fought with unmanned units. They are wire-guided, remote-controlled devices that adopt Non-Kinetic Effectors, which became the core elements of the aforementioned equipment. They lock onto targets, maneuver to follow their movements, and launch "Antidote" attacks that interfere with the GUND FORMAT Links.
It looks like in this setting we did have a war between unmanned machines, but the tech they developed to counter it means manned combat became the norm again.
Mafty

Thanks for the upload. It's interesting to see how contemporary technology is utilized in Sci Fi. It seems a bit like earlier Sunrise show AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline, wherein there is largely drone combat, yet the main characters in all factions pilot their own machines, sometimes with the help of an AI.

Drone technology actually goes quite far back in Gundam stories. Gundam F91 has the disturbing Bug drones that rampage across Frontier I, while Carozzo flimsily tries to deny responsibility by claiming the drones are automated so no human is at fault. Gundam Wing from 1995 has the introduction of the Mobile Dolls (as well as characters debating the morality of such a concept). Gundam X has the Bit System with the United Nations Earth Mass Produced Gundams, and Turn A Gundam has the Zssan, where one pilot controls three units.

There's also Captain Earth where the Kill-T-Gang pilots mechs that have their consciousness (or something like that), in a machine that can be destroyed multiple times with the pilot surviving.

Also I wonder how severe the Drone War was? So far we have yet to see the Earth (though admittedly only the prequel has been released) . However most promo images show Asteroid Bases, possible Dyson Sphere style colonies, and talk of Planetary Colonization. Maybe it will be like IBO with large portions of the Earth devastated.
SonicSP

As as I recall IBO Earth mostly recovered in the 300 years since the end of the Calamity War. There was talk about it being damaged during the war IIRC but nothing out of the ordinary in present time in the anime.

The four blocs representing regions all over the globe is a thing (which includes some of them having colonies on Mars) so even if there's some lingering damage it's not uninhabitable bad by present time.

There is a giant hole in east Australia on the map though lol.
Mafty

Right , sorry I forgot about the Earth recovering, which makes sense after 300 years. Indeed what we see of the Earth in the series looks very nice and fully recovered. Its been a while since I've seen the show, so I can't remember if there was a limited population allowed on Earth like in previous timelines, however given all the other issues with the Four Economic Blocs, it wouldn't surprise me.

Power/Economic Blocs seem to be a more common thing in 2000s Sunrise mecha shows. You could see this in the CE Era with the different groups in the Earth Alliance(as well as ORB having at least one Space Colony, and side material showing Mars Colonies owned by Coordinators); This is later seen in Gundam 00, Valvrave (which also has an Oceanic Union, as well as Dyson Sphere Colonies owned by different Blocs), Code Geass, and most recently AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline.

As for the Sydney crater in Australia , at first (before the plot developed) it made it look like it was possibly set in the far future of the Original Timeline. After the plot developed more it became clear it was a result of the Calamity War.
SonicSP

I am unsure whether there's population limitation but there's a sense of IBO planet Earth being a more rich and highly regulated place compared to the Outer Sphere where there is less government presence with things like child slavery and poverty being more rampant. I don't think everyone is necessarily super rich but I guess maybe it's like first world and third world country comparison.

That Mars are divided into colonies that are owned by the blocs probably helps Earth's economy as they can profit of the resource extraction directly. This was what Kudelia was trying to negotiate with Arbrau bloc in Season 1, so that Chryse/Mars will get more of a slice to be used for their own economic developement and prosperity.

I'm not too familiar with the IBO sidestories so I don't know what of Earth is elaborated in them.

The fake Incomplete AV System that Tekkadan and others use also is widespread in Outer Sphere because it's harder for Gjallahorn to regulate there despite having some presence there. I recall Gaelio saying in Episode 1 that monitoring or something was difficult which is why people like him are sent there once in awhile to check on things. There's definitely a sense of relative anarchy outside of the Earth Sphere.

======

On a sidenote back to G-Witch, I see some story parralels between Gund technology and what we know of AV tech history from IBO.

From some sourcebooks and I think HG Graze Ein, we know that Gjallahorn tried to ban the AV technology after the war with the public pretext that excessive mechanisation led to the war. Gjallahorn was promoting some sort of human naturalism in society in order to discourage stuff like AV. This culture is partly why you see Gaelio having that insulting attitude towards the AV-using Tekkadan kids in Season 1 and probably why he removed his own at the end of Season 2 despite requiring it to walk.

However the real reason Gjallahorn did all that was because they were scared that AV's power would be used againts them and create chaos again. This is why they destroyed the cockpits of Gundams (like Barbatos) that had to be abandoned and cannot be recovered. Despite this, the technology was leaked and became prevalent in the Outer Sphere in it's incomplete form. McGillis also eventually managed to recreate the original system again with research: which compared to the leaked version is stronger, not risky to surgically implement and usable on adults.

It seems that in G-Witch, Cathedral/Mobile Suit Council seem to be doing something similar. They are trying to ban the Gund technology for others (but also seemingly using it themselves later), while also sort of failing cos some of said tech externally survived and leaked to a remote location.

In addition, the Gund technology is also viewed negatively in wider culture as being inhuman just like AV was. Not sure whether the Anti-Gund sentiments were artificially promoted by the council like in IBO but they certainly are taking advantage of it.
Mafty

That being said the Gund technology seems way less gruesome than the AV system from IBO. At this point is there anymore information on what exactly the Gund System is or what it requires? I agree with Sonic and it's AV vibes (there's every a protest sign that says Gund System killed the protester's child).So maybe it's like the Artificial Newtype labs of the UC, or who knows maybe Suletta is going to be revealed to be some kind of modified child (like Kira and Cagailli, or the characters from Majestic Prince) who was bred to be able to pilot Gund systems, or something like that.
SonicSP

We don't have much info on most things since the main show isn't even out yet. We will probably start getting them as the the first HGs rollout.

Compared to the "Leaked" AV System from IBO, yes Gund is seemingly less gruesome in the implementation part in that you don't have to do it on small kids with a high failure rate.

I would argue it's more closer to the Original AV System in that it's not too dangerous to initially implement but still will become dangerous if you push the usage too far. Gaelio's version that's based/reversed engineered from McGillis' Original AV research also allowed him to walk. Thus one more similarity to Gund in that it enables accessibility for those with certain disabilities.

Sidenote, Suletta gives me some minor vibes of Feldt from 00 in that
Spoiler
she's the daughter of two test pilots of cutting edge prototype Gundams working in a suspicious organization. They were then killed in an incident trying to save someone when she was small before joining their cause when she grows older.

Well, only one parent dying in Suletta's case and with it being an attack rather than an accident.
SonicSP

From HG Gundam Lfrith. Took these descriptions from the English section. Japanese text at a glance seems identical.
- GUND FORMAT is based on body function expansion technology based on artificial limb welfare engineering. Collectively mobile suits that use GUND FORMAT mobile suits and cross disciplinary fighting abilities are called GUND-ARMs and eventually people kept referring them as GUNDAMs.

- The remote control swarm system is called GUND-BIT. The shield is called Compo GUND-BIT Shield.

- The individual bits are called Bit Staves when separated from the shield. They can perform three dimensional offensive and defensive maneuvers. Equiped with thrust vectoring nozzles, posture control thrusters and beam cannons.

- They can be attached to the backpack (Bit On Form) for improved maneuverability, acceleration and braking unseen in any mobile suits with any posture.

- The main weapon called Receiver Rifle rapid fires beams and can generate a Beam Blade (Blade On). The Bit Staves can attach to the front and back of the rifle to make it into the GUND-BIT Rifle which unlocks high output beam firing mechanism.

- Beam Sabers are standard close combat equipment for mobile suits.
Can be used offensively and defensively. Can be attached to a shield and can directly attach to the main rifle. Kinda getting a 00 Qan(T) vibe here more than Cherudim.

Also the official romanization of the system spells it as GUND-BIT, so it is not Gambit as we thought before.