The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bhayes82

Re: The Official Gundam Hathaway Anime Thread Mk I

Underrated GM Custom wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm That is a bit difficult to comprehend if Mafty wants to stop the deportation of people into space but at the same time Hathaway wants humanity as a whole to move into space (Char's ideals). I'm not an expert on Hathaway's Flash but my understanding was that Hathaway was trying to both embrace Amuro and Char's ideals, he wanted people to move into space (but didn't want to force it with say a giant asteroid) which lines up with the Newtype theory that mankind will progress as individuals and as a civilization as we migrate into space.

As for how Mafty's plans will create that goal, well that's hard to say. I think in this case it's a good example of goals/ideals and actions not matching up 1 to 1. I also recall reading that Tomino intended for Hathaway's flash to be an example on not clinging to the ideals of the past (Hathway holding onto Char and Amuro's ideals) which ultimately ends poorly for him.

Again not an expert, just my quick thoughts on the matter. Someone more well versed in Hathaway's Flash can probably give a more concrete answer.
In the film there's no major emphasis on the cruelty of how the Federation deports the poor like in the book, deportation is vaguely mentioned by hathaway in the film and we only see riot police checking IDs and shooting at some civilians and chasing others.

in the film they don't outright say "Mafty wants to stop the unfair deportation of the poor into Space"

so i have a suspicion that they've MODIFIED the plot that Mafty goal is not necessarily to STOP deportation, but to take down & unravel the entire Federation Government.

the film basically tries to emphasize that "Mafty Navure Erin" is the second coming of char and that the organization is trying to continue what Char started and that they're simply rebelling against the federation by killing high ranking officials. and that humanity should 'live' in space entirely so that the earth can heal itself.

so its clear, the PLOT has been changed and Mafty's mission statement/goals have been modified.

I hope they explain, why hathaway is appointed leader and why the mafty soldiers respect him and what's their stake in the fight -

with the Zeon, it was undestandable, they were fighting for equal rights and independence and the right not to be oppressed. Gundam Origin i think showed how oppressive the Earth Fedeation was, it was just that the Zabi family was corrupt.

so i hope they dig deeper into this and explain it better in the next 2 films. they understandably skimmed over alot of things in Movie 1. but some stuff as its portrayed in the film just doesn't make a lot of sense.
MythSearcher

bhayes82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 pm
In the film there's no major emphasis on the cruelty of how the Federation deports the poor like in the book, deportation is vaguely mentioned by hathaway in the film and we only see riot police checking IDs and shooting at some civilians and chasing others.

in the film they don't outright say "Mafty wants to stop the unfair deportation of the poor into Space"

so i have a suspicion that they've MODIFIED the plot that Mafty goal is not necessarily to STOP deportation, but to take down & unravel the entire Federation Government.

the film basically tries to emphasize that "Mafty Navure Erin" is the second coming of char and that the organization is trying to continue what Char started and that they're simply rebelling against the federation by killing high ranking officials. and that humanity should 'live' in space entirely so that the earth can heal itself.

so its clear, the PLOT has been changed and Mafty's mission statement/goals have been modified.

I hope they explain, why hathaway is appointed leader and why the mafty soldiers respect him and what's their stake in the fight -

with the Zeon, it was undestandable, they were fighting for equal rights and independence and the right not to be oppressed. Gundam Origin i think showed how oppressive the Earth Fedeation was, it was just that the Zabi family was corrupt.

so i hope they dig deeper into this and explain it better in the next 2 films. they understandably skimmed over alot of things in Movie 1. but some stuff as its portrayed in the film just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Consider how much have changed since the book was written, it makes sense to have some level of change in the films. The current depiction of EF is pretty different from Tomino's views, both back in FG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA period and currently. While I do not like Fukui's overall ignorance in the background lore, his depiction of people living on Earth is actually adhering to what Tomino was trying to show back in those days. (but not necessarily what he sees it now)
Deacon Blues

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:05 am

Consider how much have changed since the book was written, it makes sense to have some level of change in the films. The current depiction of EF is pretty different from Tomino's views, both back in FG, Zeta, ZZ and CCA period and currently. While I do not like Fukui's overall ignorance in the background lore, his depiction of people living on Earth is actually adhering to what Tomino was trying to show back in those days. (but not necessarily what he sees it now)
You, just like most people, fall under the asinine assumption that Fukui "ignores" things or is to blame for changes to Gundam. You have to keep in mind that a lot of his stuff has to get a rubber stamp of approval before it goes public. Ergo, the powers that be that oversee the content creation either crafted the outline that dictated the changes, or saw what he said and agreed with it. He's stated that much in numerous interviews.
MythSearcher

Deacon Blues wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:20 am You, just like most people, fall under the asinine assumption that Fukui "ignores" things or is to blame for changes to Gundam. You have to keep in mind that a lot of his stuff has to get a rubber stamp of approval before it goes public. Ergo, the powers that be that oversee the content creation either crafted the outline that dictated the changes, or saw what he said and agreed with it. He's stated that much in numerous interviews.
Most of the overviews from above cares little about continuity and more about whether they think it will negatively impact the franchise or not.
And sticking to a world close to what Tomino had depicted in FG, Zeta and CCA is not likely to have a negative impact. The more aggressive writings are also deleted in the anime, so the content control for the original novel is quite relaxed.
Underrated GM Custom

Hathaway's Flash continues to do really well surpassing 2 billion yen, it may even surpass Encounters in Space which clocked in at 2.3 billion yen.
zetatype

bhayes82 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 pm
Underrated GM Custom wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm That is a bit difficult to comprehend if Mafty wants to stop the deportation of people into space but at the same time Hathaway wants humanity as a whole to move into space (Char's ideals). I'm not an expert on Hathaway's Flash but my understanding was that Hathaway was trying to both embrace Amuro and Char's ideals, he wanted people to move into space (but didn't want to force it with say a giant asteroid) which lines up with the Newtype theory that mankind will progress as individuals and as a civilization as we migrate into space.

As for how Mafty's plans will create that goal, well that's hard to say. I think in this case it's a good example of goals/ideals and actions not matching up 1 to 1. I also recall reading that Tomino intended for Hathaway's flash to be an example on not clinging to the ideals of the past (Hathway holding onto Char and Amuro's ideals) which ultimately ends poorly for him.

Again not an expert, just my quick thoughts on the matter. Someone more well versed in Hathaway's Flash can probably give a more concrete answer.

Was the whole "Humanity should live in space" ever part of Mafty's or Hathaway's agenda in the novels?

I never read the novels but I was always under impression that the primary goal of Mafty and Hathaway was to stop the EF from deporting poorer citizens. So I was a bit surprised to find out that in the movie moving humanity into space seems to be the primary goal at least to Hathaway.
pirx

Is there any info when parts 2 and 3 are planned?
There will be 3 movies total, right?
Chris
Administrator

Yes, there will be three movies, but we have no information on when the next two will be released.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
pirx

There are several youtube channels reviewing Hathaway and many of them ask the same question: "Can Hathaway be your first Gundam movie/first entry to the franchise?".
I would firmly answer NO. It does not means i don't like the movie (i do) and i do not consider myself an "UC elitist" either. But Hathaway relies heavily on the previous UC works like First Gundam, Zeta, and CCA at least. So person watching Hathaway should be aware of events coming before it. If not...
I can't imagine someone who hasn't seen Stars Wars being shown Return of the Jedi and getting much enjoyment of it. Or watching third Lord of the Rings movie without any previous knowledge of first two movies or books. Or like ... watching Harry Potter and Half-blood Prince without seeing previous five movies or reading previous books. There's simply not enough recap information for person to get attached to the material. Yes, you get some references who Hathaway's fater and and that he's famous, but if you haven't seen any of the previous Gundam works, you really don't get the idea who exactly is Bright Noa. And also Hathaway's motivations do not make much sense to you unless you have seen CCA. While movie is highly recommended for Gundam fans, i could not recommend it as a first entry to Gundam or even to the anime despite gorgeous animation and good story.
pirx

Just found this - second movie is delayed. At least until 2024:
https://www.cbr.com/gundam-hathaway-sequel-delay/
Deacon Blues

pirx wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 am Just found this - second movie is delayed. At least until 2024:
https://www.cbr.com/gundam-hathaway-sequel-delay/
There is no veracity to that websites claim. They said that date as a joke, honestly.
Mafty

How reliable is CBR anyway? I'll admit I'm not great as judging the veracity of various fandom news sites.
PowerdGNFlag

Going to the source CBR posted (keep in mind that this article was released last December), which is Crunchyroll's article here and in turn to the original JP sources cited there had this to say:
公開時期について小形プロデューサーは「次のオリンピック…」とお茶をにごすと、土田は「もうすぐ冬季オリンピックですよ」とにやり。小形プロデューサーは「パリでもないかも…」と驚かせつつも「(2028年のロサンゼルス五輪までは)掛からないです(笑)。そこは大丈夫」とファンを一安心させていた。
which CR translated as
When asked about the timing of its release, Ogata refrained from stating, "The next Olympics... It may not even be around Paris (2024 Summer Olympics). But It will be completed before the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles. That's for sure."
So there's some translation telephone + clickbaiting going on, but 1. this is literally old news and 2. 2024-2025 sounds right for an early release date estimate assuming they can begin location scouting in Australia this year (which seems to be the main priority at this point).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Deacon Blues

They all ignore the "laughs" portion of that quote, which according to a Yahoo! Japan, Natalie, and other news sites (plus attendees), they were laughing about it on stage. Of course they're not going to commit. Apparently the joke flew over people's heads.
Chris
Administrator

Mafty wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:20 am How reliable is CBR anyway? I'll admit I'm not great as judging the veracity of various fandom news sites.
CBR is a pretty garbage click bait site. Their specialty even for that arena is American comics, and every time they've waded into Gundam has been regrettable because it's clear no one there understands the franchise or has even seen much of it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
pirx

Sorry. My bad. As a resume: Second movie has no set date so far. Right?
pirx

Anyone has more up-to-date news regarding second movie? From what i've found - only information is end of 2024 with a very big MAYBE.
Mafty

Given how many other projects have been postponed beyond 2024 , it would be nice to see the second film released this year.
Seto Kaiba

I can't find any updates in the last two years or so...
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

I think we might hear something once the trend of Seed Freedom is die down (the movie prove that CE is still a big cash cow). That, or Urdr-Hunt (if it's a movie).
My girlfriend was a loli.