The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
PowerdGNFlag

The Official Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Official Website

Nothing else is currently known aside from it being a TV series with a 2022 release date.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Kuruni

Re: The Official Gundam: The Witch from Mercury Anime Thread Mk I

Ahh...they should name the protagonist Freddie (who grow mustache), just for pun. Probably include a scene of him telling mama that he just kill a man, put a gun on his head, blah blah blah.
My girlfriend was a loli.
ling-a-bao

Hmm, I'm so rusty, but methinks Mercury (planet) has not appeared in a prior UC series?
Mafty

It hasn't. In the UC Verse solar system exploration has generally gone only to Mars (in manga side stories, never animated) or Jupiter ( the manga is the only time we see the living conditions at Jupiter, though the anime has characters like Sirocco and Kagatie who originated there). It would be cool to expand beyond the colonies and see how life in the UC is on other planets, so hopefully the movie includes some of that. Plus it will probably involve tensions between planetary governments. Also is this a UC setting , or is it another (previously established) timeline, or even a new one? I can't read Japanese so I'm unsure what the page says aside from the title.
SonicSP

Heard it doesn't elaborate whether it's UC or a new AU or existing AU. All we know is a release period and it's a TV Series.
PowerdGNFlag

Mafty wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:00 am It hasn't. In the UC Verse solar system exploration has generally gone only to Mars (in manga side stories, never animated) or Jupiter ( the manga is the only time we see the living conditions at Jupiter, though the anime has characters like Sirocco and Kagatie who originated there). It would be cool to expand beyond the colonies and see how life in the UC is on other planets, so hopefully the movie includes some of that. Plus it will probably involve tensions between planetary governments. Also is this a UC setting , or is it another (previously established) timeline, or even a new one? I can't read Japanese so I'm unsure what the page says aside from the title.
Urdr Hunt will also take us into Venus for the first time. And yeah, literally all we have right now in the way of information is a logo, website, Japanese title (機動戦士ガンダム 水星の魔女 [Kidou Senshi Gundam Suisei no Majo]), English title (Mobile Suit Gundam The Witch from Mercury), release year (2022), and format (TV).
Chris
Administrator

PowerdGNFlag wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:03 am
Mafty wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:00 am It hasn't. In the UC Verse solar system exploration has generally gone only to Mars (in manga side stories, never animated) or Jupiter ( the manga is the only time we see the living conditions at Jupiter, though the anime has characters like Sirocco and Kagatie who originated there). It would be cool to expand beyond the colonies and see how life in the UC is on other planets, so hopefully the movie includes some of that. Plus it will probably involve tensions between planetary governments. Also is this a UC setting , or is it another (previously established) timeline, or even a new one? I can't read Japanese so I'm unsure what the page says aside from the title.
Urdr Hunt will also take us into Venus for the first time.
Not quite. Reconguista in G had the Venus Globe colonies in orbit of Venus.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
MythSearcher

Speculation on the works, since Doan's island is announced at the same time, which will be entertaining the UC fans, fanboys and fangirls(if any), I will guess this is another timeline. Wouldn't put my bet on it but surely hope so.
Henyo

here's hoping the MC is a female MS pilot. heck, we might even get some Yuri pair. i'm all for that~
Yuriism aside, the only example i can think of that has some peeps living on mercury is Sailor Moon. and that was the backstory/past. are there any other shows that heavily featured Mercury with a society?

of course there is the possibility of Witch from mercury just being an awesome Alias for a character or like SEED a concept/technique/thingy.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:34 am here's hoping the MC is a female MS pilot. heck, we might even get some Yuri pair. i'm all for that~
Yuriism aside, the only example i can think of that has some peeps living on mercury is Sailor Moon. and that was the backstory/past. are there any other shows that heavily featured Mercury with a society?

of course there is the possibility of Witch from mercury just being an awesome Alias for a character or like SEED a concept/technique/thingy.
Too bad they announced the English title at the same time, so we cannot have a long debate about whether they pulled something like in ARIA where they turned Mars into a water planet and change the name of that planet to literally Water Planet(水星). The problem is that Mars in Japanese/Chinese is written as 火星 which is literally Fire Planet and 水星 originally is the name for the planet Mercury.
Mafty

Cowboy Bebop mentions imports from Mercury, but nothing is ever seen. Also in Ganmu/Battle Angel Alita Mercury was home to a colonization project in the past, the present is a different story. Other than that there's numerous stories about aliens from Mercury, but few about colonizing the planet itself. Possibly because of the inhospitable atmosphere (Granted no planet in our Solar System other than Earth has a hospitable atmosphere for humans, but still...) , Mars really seems to be the most readily colonized planet in Sci-Fi. However its possible this could be a resource colony like the Jupiter Energy Fleet, come to think of it, what resources are on Mercury anyway?
SonicSP

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 amToo bad they announced the English title at the same time, so we cannot have a long debate about whether they pulled something like in ARIA where they turned Mars into a water planet and change the name of that planet to literally Water Planet(水星). The problem is that Mars in Japanese/Chinese is written as 火星 which is literally Fire Planet and 水星 originally is the name for the planet Mercury.
I still had a short debate with someone purely about the possibility that it's a witch made from or came from elemental mercury.....

Although a quick check of the kanji in the title settled it.
trewqp123

Any news or images thus far?

Trying to seek news through other sources any luck anyone?
trewqp123

Henyo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:34 am here's hoping the MC is a female MS pilot. heck, we might even get some Yuri pair. i'm all for that~

Can I ask what you mean by Yuri and Yurism?
trewqp123

SonicSP wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:55 pm
MythSearcher wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 amToo bad they announced the English title at the same time, so we cannot have a long debate about whether they pulled something like in ARIA where they turned Mars into a water planet and change the name of that planet to literally Water Planet(水星). The problem is that Mars in Japanese/Chinese is written as 火星 which is literally Fire Planet and 水星 originally is the name for the planet Mercury.
I still had a short debate with someone purely about the possibility that it's a witch made from or came from elemental mercury.....

Although a quick check of the kanji in the title settled it.
Quite fascinating, my only noticing is

If in Japanese Kanji... Mercury, as a planet, was actually recognized and written in Kanji form, correct?

I am curious as if Mercury, Venus and of course other planets were known to the Japanese and of course written in Kanji like mentioned

Another way to know for sure? Or simply ask the producers
SonicSP

trewqp123 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:35 am

Can I ask what you mean by Yuri and Yurism?
It means a lesbian couple.
Chris
Administrator

trewqp123 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:34 am Any news or images thus far?

Trying to seek news through other sources any luck anyone?
There is literally no news. If there was any, it wouldn't be hard to find.
trewqp123

Still no news or pictures... Anything.

Not even tidbits of information.

Any news as of Nov. 28th?
Chris
Administrator

No, there is no news at all. It's literally the same as I said last time...if there actually was news it would be easy for you to find without having to ask about it.
PowerdGNFlag

The surest guarantee of information appearing based on previous Gundam series would be at the latest two months before the premiere date. So if for example the show is releasing in April, expect the marketing (e.g trailers, site updates with staff, cast, plot background, initial MS (and Gunpla) to go in full force at around February or thereabouts.