Why the Guntank's tracks look like that?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Why the Guntank's tracks look like that?

Has it been discussed anywhere else why the Guntank and the Guntank Ground Assault Type have their tracks designed that way (raised tracks and elevated sprockets) instead of the Type 61 and Guntank II's parallel-looking tracks? I know that some old tanks have tracks look like that, but I have no idea what kind of advantage they bring?

Also, I suppose it has got something to do about the Gundtank's Core Block System and the Guntank Ground Assault Type's transformation that the designers have to make the track like that--it's kind of impossible to make the "base" of the units small and low with all these complicated mechanisms, unlike the Guntank II which has none.
MythSearcher

Re: Why the Guntank's tracks look like that?

A quick search gives these:
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi- ... th=1211367
https://atvworldmag.com/can-am-maverick ... track-kit/
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Caterpilla ... itary-tank

Consider CAT got a pattern in 1974:
http://info.texasfinaldrive.com/shop-ta ... nal-drives

And is trying to battle against a Japanese company, Kunio Okawara might have read some news about this and used that design.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm Has it been discussed anywhere else why the Guntank and the Guntank Ground Assault Type have their tracks designed that way (raised tracks and elevated sprockets) instead of the Type 61 and Guntank II's parallel-looking tracks? I know that some old tanks have tracks look like that, but I have no idea what kind of advantage they bring?
Not that I know of, but the advantages of "high drive" configurations in tracked vehicles are pretty well known since the design's been in use since 1914. It separates the suspension from the drivetrain, which reduces the mechanical stresses and wear-and-tear on both. It allows for a more absorbent suspension to be used as well, which offers the vehicle better traction and less jostling. It does increase wear and tear on the track links themselves, because the tracks are in contact with a greater number of moving parts.

The main reason that tanks don't use that configuration is it makes the vehicle sit higher, and one of the main ways tanks defend themselves from anti-tank fire is with a low, sloped profile to encourage deflections. It also requires the track to be more exposed, which increases the chances of the vehicle being disabled by enemy fire as a result of track damage.

False Prophet wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm Also, I suppose it has got something to do about the Gundtank's Core Block System and the Guntank Ground Assault Type's transformation that the designers have to make the track like that--it's kind of impossible to make the "base" of the units small and low with all these complicated mechanisms, unlike the Guntank II which has none.
Honestly, I don't see a ton of sense in the Guntank II's design... it looks like someone just put an incredibly tall turret on a regular old MBT.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

The most sensible (still questionable however) is that the purpose of Guntank II's development isn't really to improve the Guntank but to made new tank with MS tech. They even made a new category "mobile vehicle" for the Guntank II. But of course it doesn't work and currently we only have two RMV for the mobile vehicle (and people often ignore that and call them mobile suit anyway).
My girlfriend was a loli.
False Prophet

Looking at the E.F.S.F.'s attitude toward the "big gun" theory of naval warfare between 0080 and 0083, I honestly think that the Guntank II was some kind of gesture toward pleasing the "old guards" within the E.F.G.S. Basically after OYW, a lot of people would've had said': "Hey, our tanks will be obsolete anyway, so why don't we replace all of them with mobile suits?" That of course annoyed the tank people, so in the end they reached a compromise--the Guntank II.

That of course become a moot point. Remember that hover vehicle with a giant beam gun which was cut in half at Torrington in Unicorn? The E.F.G.S. would had been served better had they developed an honest-to-God tank or even a line of modular armored vehicle--why should you mount a machine gun turret on a Jegan Ground Type when an IFV would have done the same?
MythSearcher

False Prophet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:42 am Looking at the E.F.S.F.'s attitude toward the "big gun" theory of naval warfare between 0080 and 0083, I honestly think that the Guntank II was some kind of gesture toward pleasing the "old guards" within the E.F.G.S. Basically after OYW, a lot of people would've had said': "Hey, our tanks will be obsolete anyway, so why don't we replace all of them with mobile suits?" That of course annoyed the tank people, so in the end they reached a compromise--the Guntank II.
They do have the G-Bull, although after the movie its canonity has always been questioned.
That of course become a moot point. Remember that hover vehicle with a giant beam gun which was cut in half at Torrington in Unicorn? The E.F.G.S. would had been served better had they developed an honest-to-God tank or even a line of modular armored vehicle--why should you mount a machine gun turret on a Jegan Ground Type when an IFV would have done the same?
Because then they have higher ground.

Stupid SW jokes aside, yes, they seem to be more obsessed than SW about higher ground in Gundam, the whole MS fighting on ground premise IS about having a high view port to see further.(completely ignoring the fact that it also meant the enemy can see you further AND because of the hand held weapon you cannot shoot at the enemy when the top of your MS's body is already in range. I guess that is why they have shoulder weapons but those should be really hard to balance and FG correctly showed the Guncannon to be firing on all fours in the OP.
Also, if you really want higher view, just use attack helicopters for crying out loud. Those are in use since the Korean war and Japan should have good enough information that they existed. If anything, the Dopps are basically fast flying helicopters and both sides have their own strange looking aircrafts that can fit the role pretty well.
Kuruni

Well, the Jagan Ground Type is note to be old and obsoleted by the time of Gundam Hathaway. So either use them for little odd jobs like a makeshift guard tower, or just throw them away.

Also, maybe you guys should consider moving to Thailand. Military here really love buying impractical pieces of crap at the cost of new and shiny toys, or buying a new and shiny toys at full cost and use it for impractical task that an old piece of crap would does just fine. So it's reality but saying anything more might violate our no politic rule.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Kuruni wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 am Well, the Jagan Ground Type is note to be old and obsoleted by the time of Gundam Hathaway. So either use them for little odd jobs like a makeshift guard tower, or just throw them away.

Also, maybe you guys should consider moving to Thailand. Military here really love buying impractical pieces of crap at the cost of new and shiny toys, or buying a new and shiny toys at full cost and use it for impractical task that an old piece of crap would does just fine. So it's reality but saying anything more might violate our no politic rule.
Well, EF should already taken over all local governments and have relocated people to difference areas for ease of control(preventing people from forming local resistance) so...
Anyway, there is a way to rationalise the situation in UC.
MS themselves are tall and intimidating, so having one walk around serving that purpose surely doesn't need much care about its practicality.
And consider old MS are cheap enough so you get Hobby Zack and a vacation colony with OYW amphibian MS, they likely aren't hard to maintain.
And since the Manhunters ARE there for the intimidation effect to civilians instead of to fight, using them as a movable conning tower with a smaller calibre gun makes certain sense. Not really good idea to fire your 60mm head vulcan to do riot control if you think about the clean up, is it?
Can't really explain why they need a person there though. The pilot inside should be able to handle it without any problem.
domtropen

Kuruni wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:49 am Also, maybe you guys should consider moving to Thailand. Military here really love buying impractical pieces of crap at the cost of new and shiny toys, or buying a new and shiny toys at full cost and use it for impractical task that an old piece of crap would does just fine. So it's reality but saying anything more might violate our no politic rule.
Only some [mostly the Army], and politics play quite a big part in that too.