The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

You can see some of that in the TV series (although the relatively low budget hampers the effect somewhat) particularly in some of the more emotional character driven episodes(SPOILERS Roy’s death, the melancholy feel of the ravaged earth, Roy and Claudia’s past, Misa’s Relationship with Riber, The survivors of a attack at Christmas singing Silent Night, etc), and especially in the finale(Hikaru and Misa embracing in the snow, Minmay singing, Kamjin and Lap Lamiz’s hands superimposed over their Kamikaze attack…). For having a shorter runtime the movie manages the drama quite well, and still manages to make the relationships seem fleshed out.

Also to an earlier discussion in the thread, just how much of Macross is available outside of Japan anyway? When I was on a family vacation in Europe two years ago I found a copy of Macross 7 Trash in a French bookstore (I don’t know how to speak/read French , but it was cool to find an official release of something Macross related). So is it just North America that Macross can’t be easily released?
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:54 am Also to an earlier discussion in the thread, just how much of Macross is available outside of Japan anyway? When I was on a family vacation in Europe two years ago I found a copy of Macross 7 Trash in a French bookstore (I don’t know how to speak/read French , but it was cool to find an official release of something Macross related). So is it just North America that Macross can’t be easily released?
Right now, this is a question that varies by region.

For most of the world - which is to say, the Americas and both Western and Eastern Europe, the only titles available on current or semi-current formats are Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross II: Lovers Again, and Macross Plus. That may change in the future now that Harmony Gold's trademarks are being struck down in a lot of different markets. China is currently the only market in which almost every animated feature has either been released or planned for release in the near term. The only one that China isn't getting via Big West is the original TV series, which I believe they already have via HG .

(This doesn't count fansubs, of course, which made Macross accessible to almost the entire world.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

So a new trailer for the movie has just dropped: https://twitter.com/evilrobot3000/statu ... 1538391046

Anyone noticing anything interesting?
pirx

New mecha at 0:12?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 am Anyone noticing anything interesting?
It's a Macross Delta trailer... so that's a hard "No".

All we really have from this is a quick shot of the expected VF-31 with 06 on it and a new model of drone that also appears to belong to Xaos but like most Delta design works is a boring, unimaginative take on something from Macross Frontier.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

So...is there any word yet on what the story for the second movie will be?
Iris Scope

Is the hooded figure an older Heinz cause if they actually magically bring Roid back to life, i lost all faith in Macross.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:42 pm So...is there any word yet on what the story for the second movie will be?
Not yet, just that it's a new story.

Iris Scope wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 pm Is the hooded figure an older Heinz cause if they actually magically bring Roid back to life, i lost all faith in Macross.
Unlikely, IMO... Heinz was bedridden. I'd guess from the robe and staff that this is probably a Windermerean priest, so possibly someone from Roid's family.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

If they're are going to do a new story , hopefully they'll add some new characters(and maybe some new mecha). It'll also be nice if they wrap up the storyline a bit better than in the series.
False Prophet

So, let's just say after this movie came out, everything related to Delta including Walkure is wrapped up. Then when can we expect the next installment of the franchise? Delta is released four years after the second Frontier movie, and Frontier itself was released four years after the last episode of Zero, right?
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm If they're are going to do a new story , hopefully they'll add some new characters(and maybe some new mecha). It'll also be nice if they wrap up the storyline a bit better than in the series.
More characters is the last thing Macross Delta needs... the TV series and first movie already had way too many of them, and wasn't able to provide effective character development for any of them, which further hurt the show's already painfully weak story.

Many of the characters were either undeveloped teaspoon-shallow expies of Macross Frontier characters who were leaning on the Frontier characters they were knockoffs of instead of appealing on their own, and the rest were stock characters who had at-most two character traits. Whittle the show down to just the characters who actually received at least basic development and you're left with Hayate, Freyja, Keith, Roid, and LITERALLY NOBODY ELSE.

It really interfered with the writing too. Like when Messer dies and Delta Flight and Walkure all get together to eulogize him like he's a dear friend and colleague... which fell hilariously flat because 100% of his onscreen interactions with the Delta Flight crew were him being verbally abusive and the only member of Walkure he interacted with was Kaname who he was basically stalking. Or how we were supposed to care that Makina got shot on Windermere IV, when her primary contribution to the series up to that point had been having her tits out in the background of any group dialog scene and the closest she came to character development was fanservice reminders that she and Reina are lesbians. Mikumo is probably the worst case, since she was both a blatant Sheryl Nome ripoff and so devoid of personality and character development that they had to make that her lack of character development her main character trait.

Can you imagine how much worse the lack of character development will be if there are even more characters for the movie to develop in a sub-two hour runtime? The dialog'll sink to the level of a Strongbad skit.

False Prophet wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:08 am So, let's just say after this movie came out, everything related to Delta including Walkure is wrapped up. Then when can we expect the next installment of the franchise? Delta is released four years after the second Frontier movie, and Frontier itself was released four years after the last episode of Zero, right?
Probably on the next major anniversary of the franchise, like most major installments in the franchise.

Macross II: Lovers Again started the tradition as a commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the original series.
Macross Dynamite 7 was the 15th anniversary feature.
Macross Zero was the 20th anniversary feature.
Macross Frontier's TV series was the 25th anniversary feature.
Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy was the 30th anniversary feature, since the last Frontier movie had come out on the 29th anniversary.
Macross Delta was the 35th anniversary feature.

2021 is the 39th anniversary of the franchise, but since we have a movie coming out this year it's probable that there will not be a new animated feature for the 40th anniversary in 2022.

Assuming Satelight and its parent company Sankyo opt to continue the pattern, the next major Macross release will be in 2027.

It's a long, long time to sit and stew about the most disappointing Macross release of all time.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Iris Scope

IDK. Macross projects like Plus and the several 7 TV/movie/OAV series have been completed around the same time under tight schedules so who knows if Kawamori and company are keeping a 2022 anniversary project tight lipped?
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 pm IDK. Macross projects like Plus and the several 7 TV/movie/OAV series have been completed around the same time under tight schedules so who knows if Kawamori and company are keeping a 2022 anniversary project tight lipped?
There was briefly some talk about a new series to follow Macross Delta, but any mention of it evaporated years ago when they started talking about doing the first Delta movie.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

They'll probably eventually make another sequel. Macross still seems to be profitable and popular enough to warrant one. Plus Kawamori and Satelight still keep putting out Mecha/Music oriented anime. Also does Kawamori own Macross? Big West put out Macross II for the 10th anniversary, so they might make another sequel even if Kawamori doesn't return.
Iris Scope

^ Macross II was made by Big West but without Kawamori involved which led him to (and many fans) to consider it an alternate universe sequel.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 pm They'll probably eventually make another sequel. Macross still seems to be profitable and popular enough to warrant one. Plus Kawamori and Satelight still keep putting out Mecha/Music oriented anime. Also does Kawamori own Macross? Big West put out Macross II for the 10th anniversary, so they might make another sequel even if Kawamori doesn't return.
Big West and Studio Nue jointly own Macross.

Kawamori is the de facto creative director for the franchise since he's been put into a senior position over at Satelight, and in deference to his involvement in creating the original series.

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:29 am ^ Macross II was made by Big West but without Kawamori involved which led him to (and many fans) to consider it an alternate universe sequel.
Well, yes and no... Kawamori considers ALL Macross titles to be stand-alone stories in a shared universe, each essentially being an alternate universe or a dramatization of a "true" history we're not privy to.

It was Big West who reclassified Macross II as a "parallel world" after Kawamori returned to the franchise, but contrary to a popular fan rumor Macross II was never disowned or dismissed by Kawamori and he maintains it's every bit as legit as any other Macross story.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Iris Scope

Seto Kaiba wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 amIt was Big West who reclassified Macross II as a "parallel world" after Kawamori returned to the franchise, but contrary to a popular fan rumor Macross II was never disowned or dismissed by Kawamori and he maintains it's every bit as legit as any other Macross story.
That's so cool that Kawamori thought that way. I love Macross II and it's characters though the mecha and music may have been overshadowed by the story.
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:13 am That's so cool that Kawamori thought that way. I love Macross II and it's characters though the mecha and music may have been overshadowed by the story.
One of my favorite moments from Macross's 25th anniversary celebrations was when a western fan group asked Kawamori about Macross II's status expecting to get a Word of God condemnation of it and he not only shot the idea down he effectively pulled the rug out from under one of the most toxic groups in the western fandom so hard they actually changed their tune. :lol:
The Macross Mecha Manual
Mafty

I've never understood why there was such backlash against Macross 2. I know that Kawamori wasn't involved in the production; however I've always thought that it was perfectly enjoyable in its own right, and had a lot of action and nice mechanical designs.
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:59 pm I've never understood why there was such backlash against Macross 2. I know that Kawamori wasn't involved in the production; however I've always thought that it was perfectly enjoyable in its own right, and had a lot of action and nice mechanical designs.
All told, I think it had a lot to do with the differing receptions of Macross II and Macross 7 in the west.

Macross II: Lovers Again didn't set the world on fire the way its western market hype said it was going to, but it was nevertheless reasonably well-received outside of Japan. Macross 7, on the other hand, caught a lot of flak from western viewers when fansubs of the series started to circulate outside of Japan. Part of it was, I'm sure, lousy Hong Kong-grade subtitle jobs but a bigger part of it was differing cultural sensibilities causing western audiences to react poorly to Macross 7's premise and to find its protagonist Basara Nekki abrasive and unlikeable.

Consequently, this led to a bit of friction among Macross fans in the west since fans who liked II generally didn't care for 7 and fans who liked 7 felt it was more true to the spirit of the original were highly critical of II because it was a very "safe" sequel that took no risks and didn't really take the story in any new directions. When the news finally reached the west that Macross II was officially considered a "parallel world" story, some fans of Macross 7 jumped on the news as "proof" that Shoji Kawamori felt slighted by not having been involved and had thrown it out of the official setting as "not real Macross". It was a way for them to win their argument about whether II or 7 was the better sequel by default, in their eyes.

That made it somewhat amusing, in a karmic sort of way, when Kawamori told them at a 25th anniversary event that they were completely and totally wrong about the OVA.
The Macross Mecha Manual