Crunchyroll and Funimation?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mafty

Crunchyroll and Funimation?

So what exactly does this merger mean? Will Crunchyroll now have acess to some/all of Funimations catalogue or vice versa? I've tried looking online but the press release is kinda vague.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Crunchyroll and Funimation?

Well yeah, the entire point of the merger would be to have one larger library to dominate anime streaming. It will probably also eventually mean unifying accounts, the streaming software/backend, pricing, etc.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Seto Kaiba

Mafty wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:56 pm So what exactly does this merger mean? Will Crunchyroll now have acess to some/all of Funimations catalogue or vice versa? I've tried looking online but the press release is kinda vague.
Thus far, almost nothing has been published... presumably because Funimation's acquisition of Crunchyroll is waiting on regulatory approvals and other legal proceedings without which the acquisition can't proceed.

Announcing any plans for the future of Crunchyroll vs. FunimationNow will probably only come after the deal is final.

As I understand it, Crunchyroll has several times the subscriber base that FunimationNow does... so it's unclear if the two services merging will be done under Crunchyroll's name or FunimationNow's.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
pirx

When i heard about this merger i went to check out Funimation's web site. I was greeted by huge letters "content not available in your country" on the front page. Nothing else.
Best "f*** off and don't came back" i've ever seen. Not holding any high hopes.