Forgotten mecha shows?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Forgotten mecha shows?

MythSearcher wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 am This gets me thinking.
While Gasaraki obviously have almost no way of a revival, would Obsolete count as it being not completely dead and forgotten?
I haven't watched the second half of Obsolete yet, but the first half gave me serious Gasaraki vibes. Given that Ryosuke Takahashi was a producer on it, it definitely feels like a spiritual successor to Gasaraki's ideas/designs/aesthetic/etc.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
False Prophet

Anyone here who have watched that Neo-Byston Well OVA of Dunbine? I've always wanted to check it out since having the Sirbine on SRW T.

I've been on a 90s Sunrise binge lately. Finally finished Gasaraki and Gulkeeva (Sunrise thought that they could replicate the success of Samurai Trooper. They were wrong.). Does anyone know that Sunrise actually made a vignette romance show based on a visual novel? Just look up Sentimental Journey. It's interesting to me because I want to find out if this is the first ever instance of visual novel adaption in the omnibus format--that is what Kanon and Amagami did several years later.
Chris
Administrator

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 am Anyone here who have watched that Neo-Byston Well OVA of Dunbine? I've always wanted to check it out since having the Sirbine on SRW T.
It's....not at all good. The Sirbine is a nice design, but with only 3 episodes it's essentially a poor rehash of Dunbine. Also the animation is really weird and the mecha move like paper cutouts sliding across the screen. Every single Dunbine OVA spinoff is bad, so I recommend just sticking to the TV series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Henyo

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 am Anyone here who have watched that Neo-Byston Well OVA of Dunbine? I've always wanted to check it out since having the Sirbine on SRW T.

I've been on a 90s Sunrise binge lately. Finally finished Gasaraki and Gulkeeva (Sunrise thought that they could replicate the success of Samurai Trooper. They were wrong.). Does anyone know that Sunrise actually made a vignette romance show based on a visual novel? Just look up Sentimental Journey. It's interesting to me because I want to find out if this is the first ever instance of visual novel adaption in the omnibus format--that is what Kanon and Amagami did several years later.
first time i've hard of those titles. gonna check them out some time.

another title, and franchise in general, thats forgotten is Zone of the Enders. i really love Dolores I. watched it 2 timed and both in dub form(I really find the Sir Uncle line endearing) its not the usual mecha anime for sure.

on a side note, anyone have any ideas how much a Zone of the Enders Dolores I/Idolo Artbook would sell? i got the large, gold colored cover. one side for Idolo and one side for Dolores, I.
Last edited by Henyo on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
False Prophet

Henyo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 am first time i've hard of those titles. gonna check them out some time.

another title, and franchise in general, thats forgotten is Zone of the Enders. i really live Dolores I. watched it 2 timed and both in dub form(I really find the Sir Uncle line endearing) its not the usual mecha anime for sure.

on a side note, anyone have any ideas how much a Zone of the Enders Dolores I/Idolo Artbook would sell? i got the large, gold colored cover. one side for Idolo and one side for Dolores, I.
Yeah, Dolores is a great show. I always feel like it's destined to be not a popular show, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

As for the artbook, I've no idea. Normally these artbooks are around $30 or bellow, but I've no idea how rare is the Dolores artbook to give you and advice.
Kyuzo Aoi

Someone mentioned Angel Links, and I smiled.

There was Pilot Candidate I watched, not that good, but not bad as people made to claim.
I am a Gundam!
MythSearcher

Kyuzo Aoi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:16 am There was Pilot Candidate I watched, not that good, but not bad as people made to claim.
You mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candidate_for_Goddess?
If you are familiar with the author of the manga, you will understand why. This is not the fault of the anime production crew, but the mangaka.
The mangaka usually have good ideas at the beginning of almost every manga but have a bad habit of randomly mixing in whatever the trend is at the time, make a mess out of the plot to a point where she loses interest in continuing the story, and either just drop the story(like Goddess Cadet and Ascribe to Heaven), or just end it in the most bizarre way.
Ascribe to Heaven was maybe the best example for this, you started in this a bit dystopia town where a girl and a robot tried to escape into space, with some kind of other conspiracy ongoing in the background, then once in space with a spaceship, they travel in this fictional network of hyperspace lanes, that almost get you thinking that this is a space opera genre title, written pretty nicely and has a lot of potential to be a good show. Some chapters later, some chase scenes and viola! You get mecha. Okay, that is still pretty reasonable given that it IS after all a Japanese space opera...Wait a minute, the next chapter you get is the heroine entering a noble school of a star nation that basically cuts out straight from those typical Villainess titles, maybe with mecha, but still...
This is only 2 volumes of manga, things surely happened fast, very different from the famed D.N. Angel by the same author...
And the story went on indefinite hiatus from that point on, for almost a decade now, well, same with D.N. Angel and Goddess Cadet. :roll:
Henyo

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 am
Kyuzo Aoi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:16 am There was Pilot Candidate I watched, not that good, but not bad as people made to claim.
You mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candidate_for_Goddess?
About Canditate for Goddess and its author
how did the anime go by the way? i was kinda interested in watching it. the cat girl was cute. there is one thing i found weird, or maybe i am recalling things wrong, the mechas can opnly be piloted by males..but the strongest/top pilot is a woman..

i just recalled another series that's basically unheard of.

Lime-iro Senkitan and its sequel. Tvtropes said it the scriptwriter for this was also the same for Sakura Wars, just with Russo-Japanese war. then again, it was an H game first then adapted into TV anime. i watched the first episode...it was servicable. more so if you don't expect too much.
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:19 am how did the anime go by the way? i was kinda interested in watching it. the cat girl was cute. there is one thing i found weird, or maybe i am recalling things wrong, the mechas can opnly be piloted by males..but the strongest/top pilot is a woman..
I watched it when it just finished the release, and to tell you the truth, I don't really remember much of it.
I do remember I wanted to see a sequel for a few years, so it is likely not too bad.
i just recalled another series that's basically unheard of.

Lime-iro Senkitan and its sequel. Tvtropes said it the scriptwriter for this was also the same for Sakura Wars, just with Russo-Japanese war. then again, it was an H game first then adapted into TV anime. i watched the first episode...it was servicable. more so if you don't expect too much.
Never heard of it, but from a game by ELF? pretty sure it is an eroge.

Yup, checked Japanese wiki, adult game.

Female High school on a battleship? Sounds interesting enough as a concept.
The mecha design isn't really my type though.
Henyo

MythSearcher wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Female High school on a battleship? Sounds interesting enough as a concept.
The mecha design isn't really my type though.
its more along the lines of BIG Jojo Stands TBH. and speaking of stands, there's another anime thats like that.

Shattered Angels or in the japanese, Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora. and related to this is Kannazuki no Miko. anyone there watched these?

imo, Kannazuki no Miko is thus:
unheard to Mecha fans
unknown to Magical Girl fans
Infamous to Yuri fans(could also be the other way aroun, since it was from the early days of Yuri anime/manga)

i am still waiting for either shows' SRW debuts. Kannazuki in particular has a stronger chance of getting in than Southern Cross. :D
Mafty

I agree with what was said earlier in that sometimes the shows that are obscure become that way because they weren't very good/interesting to begin with.

Jinki Extend is a confusing mess that is more concerned with fanservice and juggling two convoluted plotlines(SPOILER:its not really clear they're two timelines), than telling a mech war story, which is a shame because it has awesome looking mechs.

There is also Gunparade March which takes the fairly common approach of crossing a dating sim with mech, where the dating sim takes over the plotline. Seriously by the end it looks like Love Hina's Christmas special in a mecha story.

So how is Kannazuki no Miko? would it be classified primarily as a romance? A Mecha Mahou Shojo? or both?
Henyo

Mafty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:31 pm I agree with what was said earlier in that sometimes the shows that are obscure become that way because they weren't very good/interesting to begin with.

Jinki Extend is a confusing mess that is more concerned with fanservice and juggling two convoluted plotlines(SPOILER:its not really clear they're two timelines), than telling a mech war story, which is a shame because it has awesome looking mechs.

There is also Gunparade March which takes the fairly common approach of crossing a dating sim with mech, where the dating sim takes over the plotline. Seriously by the end it looks like Love Hina's Christmas special in a mecha story.

So how is Kannazuki no Miko? would it be classified primarily as a romance? A Mecha Mahou Shojo? or both?
i tried to watch Jinki Extend two time..and both times i failed to finish it. the second one was the dub form.from what i can remember at least. and weirder still is that Jinki got a full on H Game Sequel. and i just saw a trailer for a new Jinki title..dunno if its all ages or another Eroge.

is GPM any good? i heard its based on a good game. there was also its spin off Gunparade Orchestra.

As for Kannazuki..weird, i recall sites categorizing it as a Magical GIrl. but Wikipedia, ANN and MAL doesn't categorized it as such. but a quick google search shows Magou Shoujo fanfom has an entry for it..OH WELL!!!

i watched it 2 times i think. and from what i can recall, its a mixture of all 3 really. but not enough Magical Girlness. for one thing not transformation sequences. and the girls powers arent usable by the girls themselves. the center focus is about the girls. and poor poor Ogami Souma does most of the fighting in the robot(which looks like a Discount Brave unit TBH. even goes golden for one attack)
Kuruni

Jinki Resurrection (eroge) and Jinrouki Winvurga (manga). Note that the manga is also NSFW, with a loli get raped and killed in the first chapter. So even with great character and mech design, I just can't bother.

Back to subject of forgotten show. Now, it isn't a show, but there's a PS1 game that's mix of adventure and turn base strategy released in 2000 called Hexamoon Guardians. I don't know if it's good or not, but the FMV sure kick ass.
My girlfriend was a loli.
MythSearcher

Henyo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:43 pm
its more along the lines of BIG Jojo Stands TBH. and speaking of stands, there's another anime thats like that.

Shattered Angels or in the japanese, Kyoushiro to Towa no Sora. and related to this is Kannazuki no Miko. anyone there watched these?

imo, Kannazuki no Miko is thus:
unheard to Mecha fans
unknown to Magical Girl fans
Infamous to Yuri fans(could also be the other way aroun, since it was from the early days of Yuri anime/manga)

i am still waiting for either shows' SRW debuts. Kannazuki in particular has a stronger chance of getting in than Southern Cross. :D
What? Of course I have watched Kannazuki no Miko, who haven't?
As a fan of Yuri, and Mecha, how can one haven't watch this show?

But the truth is, it is not that good, hate to say, actually pretty bad. The storyboard and scene cuts are barely coherent, the overall plot is almost non-existent, it makes sense that it was forgotten. Actually not, https://twitter.com/Kai_Seven_/status/1 ... 9324038144 The related web novel got a manga adaptation about half a year ago: https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/47968
Seriously.
False Prophet

MythSearcher wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 am But the truth is, it is not that good, hate to say, actually pretty bad. The storyboard and scene cuts are barely coherent, the overall plot is almost non-existent, it makes sense that it was forgotten. Actually not, https://twitter.com/Kai_Seven_/status/1 ... 9324038144 The related web novel got a manga adaptation about half a year ago: https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/47968
Seriously.
From the Yuri people I know, I've got the impression that Kanazuki no Miko was quite good. In fact, it was the best work of that author duo. And apparently the two female protagonists (whose names I forgot right after watching that show) also appears in other works by the same authors as star-crossed lovers (again).

Anyone here have watched Sky Girls? It's a pretty good story to me despite the fact that I'm still not a fan of Fumikane Shimada's designs. Maybe I should watch Strike Witches, which is definitely not a forgotten series. But then I'm already have another mecha musume series this season: Soukou Musume Senki-anyone watch this?

Say, excluding the 1970s and 1980s which have more mecha series than we could count, which decades do you think have more forgotten mecha shows: The 1990s or the 2000s? There is this interesting phenomenon whereas the shows from the first half of the 2000s get forgotten really fast. I have two explanation: It's the transition period between cel and digital animation, so a lot of shows look rough. And secondly, those shows fall in the-between: too late for the 90s VHS generation, but too early for the later 2000s Internet generation.

PS: Now I'm getting all nostalgic about Haruhi. That show came at the exact moment it needed to be big.

PPS: Anyone feel like SEED was made on a much, much higher standard than most anime at the time? If I haven't read about them, I'd have believed it and GiTS:SAC were made in 2005, not 2001.
SonicSP

Mafty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:31 pmSo how is Kannazuki no Miko? would it be classified primarily as a romance? A Mecha Mahou Shojo? or both?
I would say its primarily romance with a Mecha Monster of The Week spice to it. A lot of drama in the romance too and generally speaking I loved it. Never really saw it as a magical girl show at all, even if it can technically count as one based on how things are classified in its world.

Would not recommend it just for the mecha though. Yuri being its dominant genre sounds about right.
Mafty

Quote False Phropet
Say, excluding the 1970s and 1980s which have more mecha series than we could count, which decades do you think have more forgotten mecha shows: The 1990s or the 2000s? There is this interesting phenomenon whereas the shows from the first half of the 2000s get forgotten really fast. I have two explanation: It's the transition period between cel and digital animation, so a lot of shows look rough. And secondly, those shows fall in the-between: too late for the 90s VHS generation, but too early for the later 2000s Internet generation.

I would say that probably the 90’s have more forgotten mech anime than the 2000’s. The 80’s as stated before had more mech anime than you can count, the 90’s had a much smaller amount by contrast. A lot of people remember some of the bigger hits like Eva and Gundam Wing (both of which aired the same year 95), However many fell by the wayside. For instance we have Brain Powerd(Which is mostly remembered for unsuccessfully following Eva’s formula) Neo Ranga( an interesting show about three sisters and their mystic mecha) Betterman (another quasi-Eva clone that actually was pretty interesting in its own right) Cybuster (which as discussed before had such bad quality it’s understandably forgotten), and possibly the most obscure Record of the Next War Ehrgeiz,it was made by Studio Deen and aired in the fall of 1997. It’s something of a Gundam clone(ie, it has space colonies fighting earth) with decent animation and mech designs. It’s sp unpopular that only the VHS tapes were ever released in North America, and it’s mention practically nowhere online.
The 2000s actually had more mecha anime, and more of it is arguably remember better. This might be due to the fact that many either formed a franchise(Fafner, Code Geass, Euerka Seven, Aquarion, etc) or were a sequel or reboot(Gundam, Macross, Reideen, Dancouga Nova, etc).
Also has anyone ever watched Round Venerian Vifam? It’s an 80’s sunrise production that’s sort of like a scifi version of Adrift in The Pacific by Jules Verne. It’s about a bunch of kids who end up piloting a spaceship in an alien war. It manages to actually be pretty mature and well written, while at the same time having moments of action and comedy. It did get a remake in the 90’s , but it still seems to have basically disappeared.

Also I agree that Seed seemed to have more money in it's animation design (though it still has a lot of stock footage). I'm not sure if it's tied to the producers burt different Gundam shows seem to have different budget's.
MythSearcher

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:38 am
From the Yuri people I know, I've got the impression that Kanazuki no Miko was quite good. In fact, it was the best work of that author duo. And apparently the two female protagonists (whose names I forgot right after watching that show) also appears in other works by the same authors as star-crossed lovers (again).

Anyone here have watched Sky Girls? It's a pretty good story to me despite the fact that I'm still not a fan of Fumikane Shimada's designs. Maybe I should watch Strike Witches, which is definitely not a forgotten series. But then I'm already have another mecha musume series this season: Soukou Musume Senki-anyone watch this?

PS: Now I'm getting all nostalgic about Haruhi. That show came at the exact moment it needed to be big.

PPS: Anyone feel like SEED was made on a much, much higher standard than most anime at the time? If I haven't read about them, I'd have believed it and GiTS:SAC were made in 2005, not 2001.
From a pure Yuri view point, if you like to see girl raping girl then the one being raped falling in love with the raper, yeah, I guess it was quite good. My view is, why does this just seem like Stockholm syndrome?
I mean, I hate those stories about men raping women and than those victims somehow enjoyed it after a while, and even falling in love with the raper, why would it work just because the raper is now changed into a woman? Yes, yes, I know a girl is more appealing than a man on screen, but I just don't find it appealing even when the one being raped had romance feeling to begin with. When she said no before and was deeply hurt right afterwards because the one she loved JUST RAPED HER isn't helping the cause. Ethically this is just all wrong.

Sky Girls, yes, and the fun thing is I have the Freeing Sonic Diver Reijin figure on my shelf but I somehow lost Otoha. (I know exactly why, the figure was quite poorly made and the face of Otoha was quite distorted)
Strike Witches just had a new season, and lived pretty good to its nick name Panties Witches. The first series dedicated an ENTIRE episode on one of them took another's panties and basically had a panties swap situation with others franticly searching for their own panties. *facepalm

I usually watch anime after it aired, so no, haven't watch the LBX one yet.
Kuruni

If you like Betterman, there's a manga Hakaiou: GaoGaiGar vs Betterman running.

Speaking of overshadowed, I think Goldran and Dagwon can count. The first for follow J-Decker while the latter is followed by GaoGaiGar. But being part of Brave Series men neither is fogotten.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

oh man, i completely forgot about Neo Ranga. that one is a fun watch. and i of course watched it in dub. i watched this 2 times. but only because i stopped midway through this one could make for an amusing Unit in SRW. i can see its being something like Deoxys, with differnte stats for its game specific versions.

Goldran i've watched in full and i can see why peeps would pass on it. especially if they started off with the more serious entries.

having mentioned Sunrise..Dragonar kinda counts right? i mean nowadays if you search Dragonar the results would show that ecchi magic school harem show.

would Gothicmade count? i mean its a movie..and from FSS author. ya think it'd make some kind of impression on the mecha crowd...

related note: there seems to be more Yuri focused mecha shows than Yaoi ones. and lets not count the Subtext ones. is there an out and out Yaoi mecha title out there?