How powerful is Mazinger Z's Rust Hurricane anyway?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

How powerful is Mazinger Z's Rust Hurricane anyway?

So, Rust Hurricane is basically Mazinger Z spraying out corrosive acid, right? So I wonder what kind of acid does Mazinger use, and how strong is it to corrode the armor of Mechanical Beasts? It would be helpful if someone post some pictures from the animation.
Seto Kaiba

Re: How powerful is Mazinger Z's Rust Hurricane anyway?

It's "Hollywood Acid"... so the only real answer is "enough".
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Arsarcana

Mazinger is pretty much THE defining example of the Super Robot genre so... you're probably not gonna get details and they're not going to be particularly meaningful even if they did exist. It's like Star Trek and questions about how various bits of technobabble work: They work just fine, thanks for asking. ;)
Seto Kaiba

Super robots in general are kind of anathema to consistency... when they aren't explicitly magical or supernatural in nature, they might as well be given their tendency to spontaneously develop new powers as the plot demands or to exhibit wildly varying levels of power depending on the stakes of the story.

About the only time they're ever presented in terms that facilitate easy comparison is in something like a Super Robot Wars game.

Arsarcana wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:25 am It's like Star Trek and questions about how various bits of technobabble work: They work just fine, thanks for asking. ;)
Hey now, even Star Trek deals with things in quantifiable terms often based on real science...
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Hey, it's fun to speculate, right? I've recently read an article on rust damage on battleships, which already have tons of anti-rust measures applied to them. So I was just wonder if we want something in real life that could corrode metal as fast as Rust Hurricane, what do we need? If anything, I suspect that attack also "eats" away metal like sandblasting in addition to corroding it with acid.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:27 am Hey, it's fun to speculate, right? I've recently read an article on rust damage on battleships, which already have tons of anti-rust measures applied to them. So I was just wonder if we want something in real life that could corrode metal as fast as Rust Hurricane, what do we need? If anything, I suspect that attack also "eats" away metal like sandblasting in addition to corroding it with acid.
Nah, the Maizinger Z's rust hurricane is straight-up Hollywood Acid... like xenomorph blood. Nothing in real life can corrode metal anywhere near that quickly.

The rust problem that navies deal with is a much more gradual problem, and the solution mainly boils down to a lot of sanding and painting.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Arsarcana

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:51 amHey now, even Star Trek deals with things in quantifiable terms often based on real science...
True, but that line about how stuff works ('quite well') is an actual answer that Michael Okuda would give whenever anyone asked him how particular bits of tech worked, in particular the 'Heisenberg Compensator' on the transporters. xD

But yes, even at its most technobabble-y, Trek is way better in general at quantifying itself than something like Mazinger.
Kuruni

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 am It's "Hollywood Acid"... so the only real answer is "enough".
Except when the Mechanical Beast of the Week is stated to be especially tough.
My girlfriend was a loli.