Even if Super Sentai and Power Rangers are NOT mecha series, just superhero shows with some mecha elements

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
WildeHopps_Shipper

Even if Super Sentai and Power Rangers are NOT mecha series, just superhero shows with some mecha elements

...They'd still use combining super robots as among their elements, and these combining super robots are still inspired not only by Leopardon from tokusatsu Spider-Man from 1978, but also Getter Robo, Combattler V, and Voltes V, in their own ways, as well. Which means that, as combining super robots, the Super Sentai mecha would have still shown me how a team of non-combining real robots -- e.g. Gundam, Macross, AT VOTOMS, Evangelion -- would have worked if they had five-man band archetypes of their very own, including:
  • The leader = Melee/CQB.
  • The lancer = Ranged/sniping.
  • The big guy = Defense/heavy armor.
  • The smart guy = Mobility/light armor.
  • The chick/heart = Repairs/support.
Kuruni

Re: Even if Super Sentai and Power Rangers are NOT mecha series, just superhero shows with some mecha elements

...what exactly you want to say?
My girlfriend was a loli.
WildeHopps_Shipper

Re: Even if Super Sentai and Power Rangers are NOT mecha series, just superhero shows with some mecha elements

Kuruni wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:35 pm ...what exactly you want to say?
I just like looking up group dynamics in any genre and medium, and that mecha shouldn't be any exception, whether with combining mecha or non-combining mecha teams.
MythSearcher

I always place the sentai(Especially the 5 colour sentai series) as a sub genre of the Super Robots genre which I usually do not like, and coupled with the fact that I don't like Tokusatsu to begin with, I don't watch any.

BTW, SSSS. Gridman is a good example of Sentai is a Super Robot show.(the Ultra franchise)
Kuruni

You mesn tokusatsu, Super Sentai is a name of specific franchise.

Well, every Super Sentai series have at least some episodes focus on the mecha (minus the first two, obviously), and some actually have them as the center of overall plot.

That being said, as someone who saw more than dozen of them (including Sun Vulcan, which only has three members throughout its run), I see no point in shoehorn five man band trope in mecha squad just for heck of it.
WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 am I just like looking up group dynamics in any genre and medium, and that mecha shouldn't be any exception, whether with combining mecha or non-combining mecha teams.
...again, what exactly you want to discuss?
WildeHopps_Shipper

Kuruni wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:59 am...again, what exactly you want to discuss?
The five-man band and how it could translate into a non-combining real robot team, as well as group dynamics in a mecha anime or tokusatsu series.
MythSearcher

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:10 am The five-man band and how it could translate into a non-combining real robot team, as well as group dynamics in a mecha anime or tokusatsu series.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Powertrio

See the ATX team and SRX team(before the combining) in the SRW franchise as an example.

Most of Real robot genre uses a 3-man composition though, Gundam has the Gundam(Amuro), Guncannon(Kai), Guntank(Hayato) with some exceptions of Ryu and Sayla mixing in with Core fighter and G-Fighter occasionally.
Later shows seemed to follow the method like in Dragonar and the aforementioned ATX team and SRX team.
It seems like they really like to have a 3 unit formation in the real robot genre, you get exceptions(Like Gundam Team in ZZ) but notice Char is leading a 3 unit team into the colony in the beginning of Zeta? Notice how you get the Black Tri-Stars? How there are 3 MS in each team in 08th MS team? How they only included 3 Balls and 3 GMs in the Ex Model for Magellan and Salamis?
Even in EVA you get Unit 0,1,2.

The team dynamics of 3 persons in Mecha shows likely stemed from Getter Robo but is also pretty usual in creations.(See power trio article above)

And yes, I know you get 3 robots on the protagonist side in Mazinger Z as well, but lets be honest, Sayaka and Boss isn't really forming a trio in most of the episodes.

While newer shows seem to like to have more units in the team for sales of model(How you get the Shuffle Alliance in G Gundam, the 5 Gundam pilots in W Gundam, etc.) you still get something like Gundam Build Fighters TRY where you have 3 as a team even when the show is blatantly a commercial for gunpla.

For 5 men band group dynamics in real robot genre is strange because it is just a trope, of course you get lots of reason to have different number of people in a team and have different group dynamics, it doesn't make a show better or worst.
Such tropes are just typical formulas for character interactions, and guess what? Since it is a trope, the dynamics will be similar. And since it is non-combining, they will be more like human team with different roles to perform(even when they have technically the same mecha like the VF-1 in Macross)
Mafty

I agree with with Myth Searcher that a lot of these tropes are used in a variety of different ways depending on the series.(Sorry if this seems kinda derivative it took me a while to write)(SPOILERS) For instance in the case of Tokusatsu/Sentai we can see the same tropes and character architypes used across the board in many different series. Guyver and Blassrieter both count as being sentai esque , but contrast by being darker and animated. In the Guyver the base story is a student gaing superpowers and fighting monsters, however the story goes a lot deeper than that. Cronos is a huge conspiracy; with deep pockets and influence, and have a well-rounded plan for conquering the world. It reaches the point that Cronos takes over earth, but acts benevolently (at least on the surface) and turns the heroes into criminal pariahs. The violence is also intense and bloody, and the monsters are rather menacing. Still the tropes used are similar to other Sentai. Sho’s Guyver armor looks like a Bio-Punk Sentai Suit, and the monsters he fights are organized in villain battle teams (The Hyper Zoanoid Team 5, anyone?). This isn’t a bad thing; and I’m fully aware that Sentai can get dark and varied like other genres as well, but I’m not as interested/familiar with the live action ones.

For an example of the five man band in non combining mecha’ there are various examples even in the realm of real robots. For instance Zeorymer is a Seinen mech show from the 80s, it has an adult plot in terms of both content and story. However the Hau Dragon pilots Makoto fights are largely based around team dynamics.

Saiga- is arrogant and forceful. His mecha is built around the power of thunder.
Taiha- is a cold stoic. His operates a wind based mecha.
Shi Aen and Shi Tau are rival twins who contrast by having fire and water based mech respictivly.
Ritsu is vain and lacks self-confidence. His mech contrast by being a stylized knight.
Giso another rather stoic pilot with a large frame, who hides his affection for another pilot. His mecha is likewise a hulking war machine called a mountain.
Rokfel- is a tomboyish pilot, who pilots an earth based mecha.

For another example we have Gundam seeds Le Cruset team.
Arthrun – the resident conflicted char clone, pilots a red mecha.
Yzak- the brutish second in command. The duel is a jack of all trades contrasting Yzak’s ruthlessness mixed with being less talented than everyone else.
Dearka- a mix between Yzak’s nastiness and Athrun’s competence. As a joker Dearka fits the mold of most of the weapons/sniper based characters and pilots the weapons based Buster.
Nicol- The nicest member of the team who is still a fierce warrior, seen with the blitz’s stealth attacks.
Basically a lot of the genres from mecha to superhero/Sentai use similar character traits to different ends
Seto Kaiba

WildeHopps_Shipper wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:10 am The five-man band and how it could translate into a non-combining real robot team, as well as group dynamics in a mecha anime or tokusatsu series.
Ugh... please, PLEASE stop trying to make everything fit into the context of TV Tropes.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Kuruni

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:31 pm
Ugh... please, PLEASE stop trying to make everything fit into the context of TV Tropes.

Fat chance, man. TV Tropes itself is a wiki about categorizing tropes (audience see trope being used and note it), but many of editors would shove anything to a trope regardless of it being used or not. The Five Man Band is one of the most misused trope on that site.