How well can the Gyan operate on the ground?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

How well can the Gyan operate on the ground?

Zimmad produced the Dom, so they must had known they had cornered the high-speed open-plain market. So if the Gyan is put on the ground, would it compete with the Gouf in closed-space urban combat? How well would it fare then? Or how good is the Gyan on the ground in general, given its limited arsenal?

This question is directly related to the Gelgoog Ground Type. I always wonder if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, or did Zeonic had always planned for the Gelgoog to have a ground-use variant. If the Gyan could operate well in Earth's condition, then the latter is more likely to be true and was one of Zeon's procurement requirements for the machine that would replace the Zaku and Rick Dom.
Seto Kaiba

Re: How well can the Gyan operate on the ground?

False Prophet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am So if the Gyan is put on the ground, would it compete with the Gouf in closed-space urban combat? How well would it fare then? Or how good is the Gyan on the ground in general, given its limited arsenal?
On its own, I'd expect the Gyan to fare poorly. It's a Mobile Suit that's optimized almost exclusively for close quarters combat and ambush tactics and has almost no ranged combat capability. What little ranged weaponry it does have is pretty ineffectual and mostly defensive. If it can't get into range to strike with its beam saber it's basically helpless.

The Gouf is a pretty balanced ground combat unit, with a decent mix of long, mid, and short-ranged weapons. In a straight battle, the Gouf would probably shoot the Gyan to pieces before the Gyan ever got close enough to use the beam saber that is its only real weapon.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am This question is directly related to the Gelgoog Ground Type. I always wonder if it was a spur-of-the-moment decision, or did Zeonic had always planned for the Gelgoog to have a ground-use variant. If the Gyan could operate well in Earth's condition, then the latter is more likely to be true and was one of Zeon's procurement requirements for the machine that would replace the Zaku and Rick Dom.
Seems a safe bet Zeonic always intended for the Gelgoog to be a multirole MS platform the same way their earlier Zaku and Zaku II platforms were.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
domtropen

I doubt if it sorties on its own Gyan won't be equipped with a machinegun or bazooka. For beam projectile Gyan Eos is equipped with beam gun on its beam bayonet, and in video game Gyan Kreiger has beam gun under its shield. With shorter sensor radias Gyan is still inferior to Gelgoog in ranged combat however.

If view as rocket launcher with protection as secondary role after all missiles are fired, and the larger missile has homing capibilities, then the shield may not be that stupid.

Given the stock A-type Gelgoog's performance against Gundam Team in 0088 Gelgoog is definitely intended for ground use.
yazi88

There isn't anything from preventing the Gyan from using standard zeon range weapons. Just like how the Gouf used the zaku bazooka or zaku machine gun. In that case, it shouldn't be any different than the Gouf. Its just we haven't seen the Gyan used in any other way.

Yeah it would lose against the Gelgoog in range combat by a long shot, but it shouldn't have any problems against a Gouf if its equipped with any other zeon weapon, plus I believe it shouldn't have a problem using a Gelgoog beam rifle either. Gyan also has a better sensor radius than the Gouf. Gyan has decent mobility too.
Kuruni

I believe it shouldn't have a problem using a Gelgoog beam rifle either.
IIRC, these two suits were developed before implement of United Maintenance Plan, Zeonic's and Zimmad's parts and gears are often uncompatible then.
My girlfriend was a loli.
yazi88

That is with mobile suit parts. Weapons are a different thing. Gelgoog and Dom/Rick-doms have no problem or issues using Zaku weapons. Since the Gyan has the reactor strength, it should be able to handle the Gelgoog's beam rifle.
False Prophet

Doesn't the Gyan Eos could use beam bazookas in Gundam Battle Operation 2?

Then again, I don't remember UC MS charging up their beam rifles like in that game.
Jamafore

I always read it as the Gyan had the generator to use the rifle or the saber, but not both. But since then we've seen the introduction of a couple of beam weapons that had their own generators.

The ones that come to mind are the beam bazooka and the prototype beam rifle that used to be packed in with the Gato's Gelgoog MG.
QUOTE - Drudge Dreadnought - Bolter and Chainsword
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake a world if he has but a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."
domtropen

Isn't that limitation Hizack's?
False Prophet

domtropen wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:09 pm Isn't that limitation Hizack's?
It always strike me weird that the Hizack had even lower output than the Act Zaku, the later of which seems to be plentiful enough to see action years later.
yazi88

I think it might be because of the beam rifle power of the Hizack which was 2.2 MW. It was higher power than the GM II's 1.9. I'm guessing that Hizack/Marasai beam rifle is stronger than the Act Zaku. Although design wise both beam rifles look the exact same, but the Hizack/Marasai one is likely a updated model compared to the Zeon developed Act Zaku beam rifle.

Beam rifles have gotten stronger since the OYW with 2nd generation MS.
domtropen

One thing I wonder about Gyan design is that why is there no thruster under its skirt and ankle armor. That would help a lot for jumping and may even allow hovering. HG Gyan Kreiger does have skirt thrusters and calf thrusters.
False Prophet

domtropen wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:02 pm One thing I wonder about Gyan design is that why is there no thruster under its skirt and ankle armor. That would help a lot for jumping and may even allow hovering. HG Gyan Kreiger does have skirt thrusters and calf thrusters.
Anyone here has a HG Gyan to check if it has skirt thruster? If not, then I wonder if the Gyan that M'Quve had was an early prototype not meant to be the final production model?

Also, how rare is the original Gyan during OYW? It almost never show up in any spin-off story.
PowerdGNFlag

False Prophet wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am
domtropen wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:02 pm One thing I wonder about Gyan design is that why is there no thruster under its skirt and ankle armor. That would help a lot for jumping and may even allow hovering. HG Gyan Kreiger does have skirt thrusters and calf thrusters.
Anyone here has a HG Gyan to check if it has skirt thruster? If not, then I wonder if the Gyan that M'Quve had was an early prototype not meant to be the final production model?

Also, how rare is the original Gyan during OYW? It almost never show up in any spin-off story.
None of the modern kits (Original HGUC, HGUC Revive, MG) have skirt (and ankle) thrusters.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am Also, how rare is the original Gyan during OYW? It almost never show up in any spin-off story.
Well, it WAS only a prototype... except in Gihren's Greed.

From what I've read, Zimmad built three YMS-15 Gyan units and one of those three became M'Quve's personal mobile suit. I've seen nothing about what became of the other two Gyans, but they were probably either retired or put into storage when Zeon opted for the Gelgoog as its next-gen mobile suit instead.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Yeah the Gyan is pretty much never featured in any manga or sidestory outside of M'quve's prototype... Gyan Eos from MSV-R is one of the very few ones.
False Prophet

yazi88 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:27 pm Yeah the Gyan is pretty much never featured in any manga or sidestory outside of M'quve's prototype... Gyan Eos from MSV-R is one of the very few ones.
I suppose that even if the Gyan was compatible to existing Zaku and Dom weaponry, it is still a hard machine to master, given how fragile and relied on agility is it.A Rick Dom is most likely a safer choice for most pilot.
yazi88

Its a prototype that lost to the Gelgoog. It doesn't seem like there is a problem with the speed and agility given that it actually has pretty good thrust power of 562000 kg.

Range is its biggest weakness with its sensor range being less than the Rick Dom and Gelgoog. But higher than the Zaku II and Gouf.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 am I suppose that even if the Gyan was compatible to existing Zaku and Dom weaponry, it is still a hard machine to master, given how fragile and relied on agility is it.A Rick Dom is most likely a safer choice for most pilot.
Really, the Gyan's biggest problem is that it's designed around a combined arms doctrine involving using the Dom to provide ranged support while the Gyans engage in close quarters combat. On its own, it's not very effective due to not being a multirole mobile suit like the Zaku II, Gouf, and Gelgoog.
The Macross Mecha Manual
TDR-10M Thunderbolt

False Prophet wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 am Doesn't the Gyan Eos could use beam bazookas in Gundam Battle Operation 2?
It uses a 'beam bayonet', a beam gun attached to its melee weapon. If it has the option to use beam bazookas, that's news to me.

That said: GBO2 is - to my best knowledge - not an official source for lore. It can offer ideas and speculation, but nothing that is truly factual to the UC Gundam setting. (The game has various lore errors anyway...)