The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Yeah, the new VF looks like a slightly tweaked reuse of one of Kawamori's early concepts for the VF-27... and with a sixth member of Walkure in the mix, I have no further hopes for improvements in the quality of the story. They'll be so busy introducing the new character that every existing one will get no character development at all.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Chris
Administrator

If the writing staff for Delta were able to properly develop the cast, they would've done so in the TV series, so I wouldn't place any hope on this movie being able to do so, new character or not. The only question is what they plan to do with the story at all since the first movie covered everything from the TV series.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Seto Kaiba

There's always the chance that the movie'll have some new writers who weren't on the series... but I'm not optimistic it will actually happen. It's just rather frustrating for a series renowned for its character development to half-ass all the characters in such a large cast.

Story-wise, what we've been told is that the new movie will be an all-new story with a different antagonist.
The Macross Mecha Manual
DragoMaster009

Eh, perhaps we might get a manga retelling if the animation angle doesn't work out? Stranger things have happened in the world of entertainment.
Seto Kaiba

DragoMaster009 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:56 pm Eh, perhaps we might get a manga retelling if the animation angle doesn't work out? Stranger things have happened in the world of entertainment.
There'll be a novelization of the film, for sure.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

This is a Macross related question:

Do the Whales from Macross 7 dynamite have a connection to protoculture or the Vajra? Its been a long time since I last saw Dynamite 7 and I can't remember if the whales were mentioned again in Frontier or Delta...
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:25 pm Do the Whales from Macross 7 dynamite have a connection to protoculture or the Vajra? Its been a long time since I last saw Dynamite 7 and I can't remember if the whales were mentioned again in Frontier or Delta...
Nope, the whales are mentioned only in Macross Dynamite 7... but I know it's been hinted once or twice that Zentradi warships may or may not be modeled on them structurally.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

I just heard that Bandai had backstabbed Takatoku Toys, which led to the later's demise and selling off the machinery and molding to make Macross toys. Is it true?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:56 pm I just heard that Bandai had backstabbed Takatoku Toys, which led to the later's demise and selling off the machinery and molding to make Macross toys. Is it true?
Eh... no. Bandai did play a role in starting Takatoku Toys's course to oblivion, but it was through honest competition not anything especially nefarious. Bandai did break some laws, but not specifically to hurt or cheat Takatoku, mostly just to screw over retailers.

Long story made short, back when the first Kamen Rider series was on the air in the early 1970s both Takatoku Toys and Bandai's wholly-owned subsidiary Popy had merchandising licenses to the series. Kamen Rider was an extremely hot property and both Takatoku Toys and Popy were making a play to get exclusive merchandising control over the series. Ultimately, because Popy's Kamen Rider merchandise was selling better, Popy was able to put the biggest bid in for exclusive control of the merchandising toy rights to the show. Thus, Takatoku Toys lost one of its big sources of profit. This merchandising deal Popy had created ultimately led to more exclusive partnerships in merchandising between Toei and Popy, leaving Takatoku Toys less choice in licenses.

Takatoku Toys got heavy into animation sponsorship with mixed results in the late 1970s, and by the time they'd got the license to Super Dimension Fortress Macross and it became a smash hit they were practically ready to just declare bankruptcy. They did turn a pretty substantial profit on the Kanzen Henkei VF-1 toys, but not so much that they could offset the losses incurred on the lackluster performance of their other 1982-1984 properties like Super Dimension Century Orguss, Itadakiman, and Galaxy Ship Sasuliger. They declared bankruptcy in 1985 and the company's liquidated assets found their way to a number of successor companies including Bandai.

Bandai and Popy had their own rough patch around the same time Takatoku was teetering on the brink. Bandai's anticompetitive practices had come to the attention of the Japanese government, and in 1983 Bandai wound up being investigated for breaches of the Antimonopoly Act. Popy was suffering financially as well after a string of unsuccessful shows including Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, but its owner Bandai solved its cash flow problems when they reorganized eight key subsidiaries back into Bandai itself in preparation to make their IPO in 1986. Popy literally ceased to exist two years before Takatoku did, but technically still exists today as Bandai's Boys Toy Division #1.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

So this is a bit of good news in that Macross II, Macross Plus, 7, Frontier, Delta are coming out in China with HG apparently not being able to do anything about it. I wonder if Big West is able to pull this off in other places outside of the original series with Macross...

https://twitter.com/DinoKiller912/statu ... 53248?s=20
Seto Kaiba

On one hand, it's good - if utterly unsurprising - news that Macross is now going to be actively distributed in at least one key market where Big West Frontier has handed Harmony Gold its arse in court over trademark registrations.

On the other hand, they couldn't have picked a worse time to announce they were going to expand their business involvement in China...
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

I believe there is something similar going on in parts of Europe with the trademark? I think I saw something about that earlier this year...
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:03 pm I believe there is something similar going on in parts of Europe with the trademark? I think I saw something about that earlier this year...
Yeah, China wasn't the only market where Big West challenged Harmony Gold's trademarks on the Macross title, logo, and key art in this last year or two.

Big West was able to successfully oust Harmony Gold's trademarks and register their own with the United Kingdom's Intellectual Property Office earlier this year, and followed up on that victory by applying for ownership of the same marks in the European Union. The European Union Intellectual Property Office reviewed Big West's application for ownership of those marks and accepted Big West's victory in the UK case as precedent. Last we heard, attorneys representing HG were begging for an extension to the case deadline even though the outcome is inevitable at this point.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

That is nothing new. Amazon and Netflix have been streaming Robotech for years...
Seto Kaiba

Iris Scope wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:43 pm Well, Robotech has a new home with Funimation:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... og/.152460
This is what we in the fact business like to call "nonevent news".

It's news, but the word "news" is in sarcastic finger quotes... it has no actual meaning or significance. A company that does nothing but re-release the same old garbage every other year is re-releasing the same old garbage as per usual? Not much of a takeaway from that.

Robotech's streaming rights change hands so often that I sincerely doubt anyone actually bothers to purchase an extension to the license. They buy the license for cheap, hang onto it for a few years until the ad revenue drops below whatever arbitrary redline for earnings they've set, and then ditch it. HG lowers is asking price a little before shopping the series around to the competition, it gets picked up by a competitor. Lather, rinse, repeat. HG's not doing anything with the show like remastering it or creating sequels, so it's a modest profit stream and they can essentially just keep lowering the price to make the license look attractive because their few thousand devoted fans will watch it several times a year... even though nobody else will.

I saw someone rather hilariously attempt to conjecture that this was a counter-move by Harmony Gold to having lost control of the Macross trademarks in the UK, EU, and China... I needed to step away from my PC for a couple of minutes to stop laughing before I could reply.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Chris
Administrator

And yet if you see the comments on Twitter replying to Funimation's tweet, there are many sad sacks who are excited about buying the same recycled garbage over and over again.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Henyo

so, how cheap are we walking about here? is it similar to the Philippine's case, with the local channels being able to constantly air the same old animes from the 80s and 90s to this day? at my last count, Voltes V has been aired more than 6 times. 3 of them came with a new dub. it even managed to get a local manga style sequel. Yu yu Hakusho is also around that same number.

i glimpsed at the FUnimation twitter post..peeps were posting Kawamori's answer when asked about Robotech.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Chris wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:07 am And yet if you see the comments on Twitter replying to Funimation's tweet, there are many sad sacks who are excited about buying the same recycled garbage over and over again.
That's the Robotech fandom for ya... they're few, but they're so desperate to validate their continued faith in the franchise that any sign that the franchise hasn't kicked up its heels and died is treated like cause for celebration. They'll celebrate Robotech's latest streaming service migration despite owning half a dozen different copies of the series on home video already... including the edition being made available on stream.

Henyo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am so, how cheap are we walking about here? is it similar to the Philippine's case, with the local channels being able to constantly air the same old animes from the 80s and 90s to this day? at my last count, Voltes V has been aired more than 6 times. 3 of them came with a new dub. it even managed to get a local manga style sequel. Yu yu Hakusho is also around that same number.
Oh, fairly cheap... probably a couple hundred thousand dollars a year for unlimited streaming rights to the series.

The show's been available so constantly and has such a small following that it isn't worth much.

Henyo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:54 am i glimpsed at the FUnimation twitter post..peeps were posting Kawamori's answer when asked about Robotech.
Good for them. :)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

just saw this news while checking fb.

https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2019/10 ... h-america/

not much details. on a related note ive read that remastering robotech animated works is a hard thing/impossible to do. something about 2nd gen master films or something..

and this probably means that funimation possibly bringing the original macross unaltered is kaput.(or there was never any possibilty ro begin with?)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!