Megawattage Info Gathering

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
MechaManX

Megawattage Info Gathering

Hello All,

I have been a viewer of this forum for years. I never posted because you all typically brought up and discussed all the topics I was thinking about asking. On that note, thank you everyone for years of help you didn't know you were giving. LOL. Not too long ago, Mark created a topic called ""Shiny New Info from the Master Archive." What I found particularly interesting in that post was the Megawattages for many 0079 era weapons that I never even knew had official MW values. That topic was mostly focused on GM family mobile suits. I would be eternally greatful if anyone could shed some light on other Universal Century Megawattages that are unknown (at least not by me, a.k.a. listed on MAHQ).

I have a list of 36 mobile suits in particular that I am hunting for, but I figured that might seem overwhelming to start out with. At the least I am hoping we can find MW's for the main protaganist mobile suits from each UC series; like Unicorn, F91, Victory, etc. I am also looking for MW's for weapons like; the Dom's scattering MPC, the Rick Dom's beam bazooka, the Elmeth's MPC's, and Zeong's MPC's.

Until now I have made educated guesses on these weapons, but in light of the MW's revealed by Mark, I am hopeful that some more blanks can be filled in.
toysdream

Re: Megawattage Info Gathering

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed where most of the later UC series are concerned; Char's Counterattack is pretty much the last story for which we have even dubious weapon output specs. But maybe we can do better with the earlier works.

I think most of the specs in the Master Archive book are original to that book, but by accident or intention, they've matched the figures from a couple of previous sources. An old issue of The Anime magazine gave figures of 1.9 MW for the Gundam's beam rifle and 0.38 MW for its beam sabers, and you'll see both those figures in the Master Archive. As for the standard beam spray gun, the instructions from the old Full Color Model kit manuals listed this at 1.4 MW. (They also gave an output of 0.3 MW for the GM's beam saber, but apparently The Anime overruled that.)

Other output specs from the Full Color Model series:

MS-07B Gouf: heat rod (0.4 MW)
MSM-07 Z'Gok: mega particle cannon (3.2 MW)

The cutaway diagrams in Entertainment Bible 1 has specs for a couple of others. These are a bit suspect since they changed up the designs a little, but for what it's worth...

MSM-03 Gogg: mega particle cannon (2.8 MW)
MA-08 Big Zam: mega particle cannon (13.9 MW), anti-air mega particle cannon (2.1 MW)

The Gundam 0083 CD Cinema says that the Gundam GP01's beam rifle has an output of only 1.5 MW, but this seems too low given its similarity to the original Gundam's beam rifle.

The Dowadge in Gundam ZZ has a heat saber output of 0.52 MW, which would presumably apply to the original Dom as well.

As for Char's Counterattack, I think MAHQ already lists all the output specs from Entertainment Bible 3 and the kit manuals.

-- Mark
latenlazy

Really? Big Zam's main beam cannon is only 13.2 MW? I don't buy that.
toysdream

Eh, it's comparable to the belly guns of the Psyco Gundam Mark II (or the combined output of the original Psyco Gundam's belly guns), and more powerful than most of the similar weapons in the Neo Zeon machines from Gundam ZZ. For something that isn't specifically labeled as a "hyper mega particle cannon," that seems fairly respectable. It's not like these numbers really mean anything, anyway. :-)

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

latenlazy wrote:Really? Big Zam's main beam cannon is only 13.2 MW? I don't buy that.
Given that these numbers are all arbitrarily made up and mean absolutely nothing, what's so hard to accept about whatever they decide to spit out? It's best summed as Mark said:
toysdream wrote:It's not like these numbers really mean anything, anyway. :-)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
latenlazy

Of course. I'm just surprised that they'd give it a 13 MW rating when they're willing to go up to 50 MW for the ZZ's high mega cannon. You'd think they'd realize the visual inconsistency of such information but...oh well.
MechaManX

Thanks Mark! That's exactly the kind of info I was wanting. When I saw RX-78 Gundam's beam rifle listed as 1.9 MW in your previous topic, that got me thinking about all sorts of things. I had always used GP01's 1.5 MW as a "stand-in" up until that point. The beam rifles do look similar after all... but then it clicked. GP01's beam rifle is a little smaller, not to mention it was the first to have a replaceable e-pac and a beam jitte (IIRC). It is possible that applying these new technologies meant sacrificing some power. The same could be said for Big Zam. Although it is far from the first MPC user, I agree that 13.9 MW is formidable for a 0079 era MS/MA.

The MW's may seem irrelevant, but no more than any other MS data like ground speeds or propulsion. I for one am always thankful to have lots of data for a mecha. Better to have too much than not enough. I am using the MW's for damage potential calculations for a game that I have been designing as a hobby for the last 10 years. I had filled in the blanks with educated guesses, but official or even semi-official data is always more valuable than a guess (to me at least).

Are there any MW"s given for any Guncannon or Gelgoog family mobile suits? Also, I don't seem to recall there ever being any MW's listed for any beam machine guns. Is that a true statement? Thanks again.
HalfDemonInuyasha

latenlazy wrote:Of course. I'm just surprised that they'd give it a 13 MW rating when they're willing to go up to 50 MW for the ZZ's high mega cannon. You'd think they'd realize the visual inconsistency of such information but...oh well.
Not to mention a 520 MW amount for the mega particle cannons of the Z'od-iacok along with twelve 12 MW beam cannons, four 50 MW wire-guided beam claws, and twelve 0.9 MW beam sabers. (And eight 60mm vulcans.)
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
bluemax151

toysdream wrote:The Gundam 0083 CD Cinema says that the Gundam GP01's beam rifle has an output of only 1.5 MW, but this seems too low given its similarity to the original Gundam's beam rifle.

-- Mark
I believe the Data Cards claim this is the E-pac rating.
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Jameedaark

Hi, about MA of OYW, is there any book in which are noted the megawattage of Elmeth Bits and Mega cannons?
Regards
Arsarcana

This topic was nine years old...
Jameedaark

I know, but who knows? Maybe in the meantime other info have come out... :wink: