New Zoids Wild Series for Summer 2018

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

New Zoids Wild Series for Summer 2018

Jeez! This year is really hyping the Mecha Train... for we are now getting a new Zoids series as well.

Crunchyroll Article

Not much info yet, but apparently a trailer was released as well which is how I saw this for it was up on my recs when I watched the Tokyosaures vid on Gundam NT. Also that article was released back in the end of February. Jeez. Cannot believe I missed it. Zoids has been a big series of my teenage years so I am quite stocked about this!

EDIT: A Japanese article about it.
Kuruni

Re: New Zoids Wild Series for Summer 2018

...and they use Liger for hero again. Dammit. I hope they at least wise-up and at least give Gojulas (or better yet, Gil Vader) significant spotlight.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Zeonista

I see the retro tide is still rolling in here. I suppose there is still a little hope left for toy-based mecha anime. I never really followed the Zoids shows before, but I know it has a following in Japan that goes back to the Eighties, and the toys all looked cool. Hopefully the Zoids fans here will have something they can enjoy.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
YokozunaBulldozer

Official info about characters for the anime so far(https://www.anime-zoidswild.jp/)
Freedomdan
Arashi(kid with the yellow lightning bolt bang, blue shirt, orange shorts)
ZOID: Wild Liger(lion type)
voice: Ono Kensho(Slaine from Aldnoa Zero)

Onigiri(kid with green hair and glasses)
ZOID: Proganochelys type
voice: Kozakura Etsuko(Coquelicot from Sakura Taisen III and IV)

Penne(pink-haired lady)
ZOID: Scorpion type
voice: Komatsu Mikako(Sei from Gundam Build Fighters)

Gyoza(Brown-haired, sunglasses and orange clothes)
ZOID: unknown
voice: Kimura Subaru(Allan from Gundam Build Fighters)

Supremedan
Bacon(Man with afro, blue coat and white pants)
ZOID: Unknown (silhouette indicates it will be a tiger type)
voice: Sakurai Takahiro(Suzaku from Code Geass)

Death Metal Empire
Drake(kid with V-shaped hair and blue clothes)
ZOID: Gilraptor(dinonyx type)

Caviar(man with teal hair and green clothes)
ZOID: Sarcosuchus type
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

new trailers have dropped! the comments made me realizxe why i'm not looking forward to this new entry much. Yu gi oh MC hair. not just my thing anymore. but the possiblity of the reason the zoids are small because they are young and will grow bigger to what are used to is interesting.

no female characters yet. that will be the deciding factor if i'll watch this show for a long while. :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kuruni

The 3rd PV look pretty good.

...but it cause me more grief that they have to stick with cat-type zoid as protagonist. It would be much better if they use bear-type, probably with red paint. Calling other a comarade at first sight is true Soviet.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:42 am The 3rd PV look pretty good.

...but it cause me more grief that they have to stick with cat-type zoid as protagonist. It would be much better if they use bear-type, probably with red paint. Calling other a comarade at first sight is true Soviet.
i'd be down for that. TRU SLAV!!!
gonna wait for ze actual episodes. this might be like Build Divers for me. only going to watch it for certain things.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
tHeWasTeDYouTh

this is awesome, I completely forgot about Zoids!!!! wow I thought this series died off or something.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Deathzealot

Errr... I really don't like that it looks they are riding Zoids instead of piloting them. The animation looks awesome though and it is a Zoid series but still I really want something like the original Chaotic Century or Guardian Force. Heck! I wouldn't mind something like Zero as well. Sigh.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Deathzealot wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:12 am Errr... I really don't like that it looks they are riding Zoids instead of piloting them. The animation looks awesome though and it is a Zoid series but still I really want something like the original Chaotic Century or Guardian Force. Heck! I wouldn't mind something like Zero as well. Sigh.
I just saw the trailer, damn. The Zoids are really small and it is just kids riding them. it seems like they've almost completely gutted the Zoids concept and rebuilt it from the ground up. I guess I will give it a pass.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Kuruni

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:48 pm it seems like they've almost completely gutted the Zoids concept and rebuilt it from the ground up.
No. Open cockpit zoids were around even before it got anime adaption (hint, the toy come out LONG before the first anime). Examples including Pterorayse, Saicurtis, and Diloforce.
Freighttrain

@tHeWasTeDYouTh

Yes the new Zoids anime looks terrible, those things would be best described as 'pseudozoids' instead as they are divergent in size, aesthetics, structural articulation and piloting style as even the smaller open topped actual Zoids have proper cockpits with controls.

And that's just the mecha designs, that the characters mostly seem to be preteen and named after types of food, it honestly looks as if the target audience is not in fact children but rather paedo-cannibals...

PS: I read something in the Forum Rules about posting links to other websites so my Zoid blog posts (including a comprehensive Zoid classification system) are accessible by clicking the 'Visit website' button on my Mecha Talk profile page.
Kuruni

Freighttrain wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 am [...]piloting style as even the smaller open topped actual Zoids have proper cockpits with controls.
As noted, open cockpit small zoid isn't new. I don't think they should be main character, but what to expect from people who keep using cat as main character instead of bipedal carnosaur?
Freighttrain wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 am And that's just the mecha designs, that the characters mostly seem to be preteen and named after types of food
You can blame Dragon Ball for food theme naming.
Freighttrain

Well personally I don't think that the continued use of lion-type Zoids as the vehicle of the main character in the various Zoid anime series is too much of a negative, a bit repetitive and corny maybe though yes, if they had used the same basic canon premise and Zoid design etc. style and only changed the protagonist Zoid type to something else such as a theropod dinosaur as you suggested, then the new anime would have been a lot better.

And yes I've seen others say that the characters being named after types of food is from Dragon Ball, though why they would have decided to use a gimmick like than for the new Zoids anime I don't know, maybe they knew that what they were making was going to be a piece of crap and they wanted to make it more palatable by naming the characters after types of food!
Chris
Administrator

Freighttrain wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 amTL;DR
Stop resurrecting dead threads and responding to old comments. Locked.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his