The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
False Prophet

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

http://macross.jp/special/macrosslive2019/

This year seems to be a busy one for Macross public events. Do we have any news of any other event taking place after this concert?

Also, anyone here know anyone in Japan who managed to catch the live stream (https://liveviewing.jp/contents/macrosslive2019/)?
Seto Kaiba

Well, there's the Kawamori Expo that's running until 6/23 IIRC.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Iris Scope

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the sixth singer is Mirage.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ed/.147397
Seto Kaiba

So here's a spot of interesting news...

Big West apparently successfully challenged Harmony Gold's trademarks on the Macross name, logos, and other related marks in the UK. Macross's owners, not Harmony Gold, now hold the Macross trademarks in the UK.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Got a link for that? I want to share it with friends on social media, cause that is great news.

Also in other news, Mylene Jenius's original voice actress and singer, Tomo Sakurai, has come out of retirement since 2016.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... nt/.147372
Seto Kaiba

Not for the actual challenge, which was brought to everyone's attention by a Twitter user:

https://twitter.com/PegasusSSK/status/1 ... 7540316160

But the actual trademark filing is now there for all to see:

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcas ... 0003235006
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

So, according to the latest Delta news, the next movie will feature a sixth Walkure member. Who could that be? Mirage, or one of the dropouts?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 am So, according to the latest Delta news, the next movie will feature a sixth Walkure member.
Allegedly.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 am Who could that be? Mirage, or one of the dropouts?
Who cares? If it's someone new, then it's just one more underdeveloped character in a story that's already packed fit to burst with undeveloped stock characters and shallow carbon copies of characters from Macross Frontier. If it's an existing character, then they have to waste time explaining why they're suddenly in Walkure and that'll take time away that could be (but won't be) spent actually developing some of the characters or an actual plot.

The one nice thing about the piece of news is that the title will make mocking the film in reviews incredibly easy.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

that 6th singer just reminds me of what Nanoha did with its later entries. Add characters upon characters whose stories are MEH. looking at you Vivid and Vivid Strike. though in the case of Delta if focused on only one of its important aspects. is it safe to say that Delta is the equivalent of Nanoha Force?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am that 6th singer just reminds me of what Nanoha did with its later entries. Add characters upon characters whose stories are MEH. looking at you Vivid and Vivid Strike. though in the case of Delta if focused on only one of its important aspects. is it safe to say that Delta is the equivalent of Nanoha Force?
Macross doesn't usually do direct sequels, so this movie is already highly irregular...

Given that the Macross Delta cast was already far too large to properly develop 90% of the characters, I think adding ANOTHER character to Walkure is probably a cheap stunt to keep the gravy train rolling on the actual group, and will lead to us having another character who is more or less background decoration like Makina and Reina.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, Kaiba, what is the deal with this poster: http://is2.4chan.org/m/1560485412431.jpg

Also, it seems that Harmony Gold has a talk at this year Anime Expo: http://is2.4chan.org/m/1560468902263.png

Let's just say that Harmony Gold has their balls together and decide to do a Robotech reboot. How much can they use from the original materials without getting sued, presumably that they don't try to bring the reboot outside of America?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am Say, Kaiba, what is the deal with this poster: http://is2.4chan.org/m/1560485412431.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd completely forgotten about that particular public display of congenital idiocy from the Robotech fandom.

Not long after the Macross Frontier TV series finished airing in Japan - and being spread all over the net as one of the most pirated anime titles of 2008 - a group of Robotech fans started trying to get Macross Frontier redubbed as a new Robotech series. There was absolutely zero chance of it ever happening due to it being an obviously retarded idea, but this one group was committed enough to the idea to crudely photoshop that flier and a crude banner and try to promote the idea at a few conventions. They gave up after a while when they realized the only thing they were going to achieve was wasting their time and getting mocked for being idiots.

I'm sure you've noticed on YouTube that trying to rebrand anything and everything Macross as Robotech is a bad habit the Robotech fandom keeps indulging in. It's gotten so bad thanks to YouTube and the general ignorance of the Robotech fandom that many Facebook groups made posting Macross Pachinko Fever's new animation and claiming it's from a reanimated Robotech series a banning offense. There have been a handful of attempts by Robotech fans to fandub Macross shows as Robotech sequels, and for a long time Palladium RPG players were incessantly adapting Macross mecha for the Robotech RPG.

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am Also, it seems that Harmony Gold has a talk at this year Anime Expo: http://is2.4chan.org/m/1560468902263.png
Yeah, that's sure to be a tedious exercise... there's typically less fact to be found in a Harmony Gold convention event than on your typical Snapple bottle cap.

It says a lot that they're sending Kevin McKeever, a Robotech fan-turned-staffer best known for being a very juvenile forum troll, to handle this "talk". If he's running the show it'll be a glaringly obvious propaganda exercise that even the North Korean state news would consider needlessly obfuscatory. He'll likely deny that there's even the chance of Harmony Gold losing the rights, try to claim that Robotech is a massive international hit that has a live action movie sure to enter production any minute now, and then tell everyone that Macross is an obscure Japanese mecha franchise that nobody really cares about.

Basically, if he were Pinocchio we'd be able to use his nose as an orbital elevator tether by the end of the hour.

False Prophet wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am Let's just say that Harmony Gold has their balls together and decide to do a Robotech reboot. How much can they use from the original materials without getting sued, presumably that they don't try to bring the reboot outside of America?

As hypotheticals go, they don't get much more implausible than "what if Harmony Gold were competent?".

Without a license from Tatsunoko Production, Harmony Gold can't use ANY of the material from the original three shows. That was something that Tatsunoko had to pointedly remind Harmony Gold during their arbitration a short while ago. They'll even lose the ability to market the "original" materials that use designs from that original IP, or were based on those original designs, so about all they'll be left with will be the name changes, the few original songs they had made for the series, some minor plot details, and the only all-original material they ever made... the Robotech 3000 trailer. :lol:

TL;DR: they CAN'T reboot Robotech because pretty much everything in it is owned by someone else.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm Stuffs
Oh man. that lightened up my mood after a hectic week at work. is the robotech fanbase worse than RWBY?(the way i see them they treat RWBY as the source of ALL!!!! memes, pose and everything in between.)

are there any specific links of those stuff that robotech fans do with the macros sequels? i want to see more of them stuffs.

going back to macross things, does Harmony Gold's hold on the Macross stuff cover TV broadcasts? The Philippines has shown some animes that took a long time before they reached western shores. and without much censorship too boot(i think only the Macross Saga of robotech was the only thing that aired here. it wasn't even finished If im recalling things correctly.)

can they "HALT IN THE NAME OF LICENSING RIGHTS!!!" to any channel that'd want to air Macross works on TV? either local or
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 am Oh man. that lightened up my mood after a hectic week at work. is the robotech fanbase worse than RWBY?(the way i see them they treat RWBY as the source of ALL!!!! memes, pose and everything in between.)
As I know a grand total of one RWBY fan and he doesn't do that, I don't think I could draw a comparison.

Most Robotech fans seem to have little-to-no interest in anime. The few that do, and are involved in things like the Palladium Books RPG or writing "reference" websites, have a bad habit of treating other mecha anime titles (especially Macross) like expansion packs for their version of the Robotech story. Macross II was victimized in that fashion fairly often because it had a RPG published by Palladium Books that used the same system, but they would go after almost any popular mecha anime title like the Gundam UC OVAs (08th MS Team, Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, etc.), Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Full Metal Panic!.

It certainly didn't help that Robotech comic books were themselves frequently engaging in copyright infringement, stealing designs, characters, and sometimes whole stories from sources as diverse as Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Gundam, Tenchi Muyo!, Macross, Independence Day, Star Trek, and Star Wars.

Henyo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 am are there any specific links of those stuff that robotech fans do with the macros sequels? i want to see more of them stuffs.
Ugh... you can find it easy enough on YouTube, but frankly I don't wanna give those failures at life the clicks. The few existing Robotech reference websites all do it, like Tim Wing's Mecha Journal (which steals from Macross, MOSPEADA's preproduction concept works, Orguss, Megazone 23, and others) or the Unofficial Robotech Reference Guide (which does the same).

Henyo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 am going back to macross things, does Harmony Gold's hold on the Macross stuff cover TV broadcasts? The Philippines has shown some animes that took a long time before they reached western shores. and without much censorship too boot(i think only the Macross Saga of robotech was the only thing that aired here. it wasn't even finished If im recalling things correctly.)

can they "HALT IN THE NAME OF LICENSING RIGHTS!!!" to any channel that'd want to air Macross works on TV? either local or
Harmony Gold's rights under their license from Tatsunoko Productions only give them distribution control over the 36 episode original Macross series outside of Japan. To stop distributors from carrying Macross sequels and merchandise, they filed for trademarks on the Macross title, logos, and key art in select markets like the US, UK, etc. so they could threaten distributors with trademark infringement lawsuits if they attempted to carry those shows either on broadcast/cable TV, streaming, home video, merch, etc.

In markets where Harmony Gold doesn't have those trademarks, they can do nothing to stop Macross titles from being aired, sold on home video, etc.

I don't think they ever hade a trademark in the Philipenes, but then again the Phillipenes are one of those markets like the Koreas that tend not to give a crap about infringing on intellectual property rights for foreign properties.

Harmony Gold has recently found its trademarks being challenged and successfully overturned in court in a number of markets by Big West, most recently in the UK.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, Kaiba, was it true that someone forgetful in the Macross team left the tape (or film, script?) of an episode on a train? And what about the funding shortages? Did Big West's involvement solve the problem?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am Say, Kaiba, was it true that someone forgetful in the Macross team left the tape (or film, script?) of an episode on a train?
As far as I am aware, yes. Some unnamed soul left a mostly-complete master reel for one episode on a train, which necessitated a brief but frantic search of the local rail system to find the EXTREMELY expensive tape.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am And what about the funding shortages? Did Big West's involvement solve the problem?
Truth be told, there wasn't really a funding shortage so much as there was some cautious stinginess from Big West.

Big West Advertising Co. Ltd. had no experience in animation sponsorship when Studio Nue approached them with a pitch for the series that eventually became Super Dimension Fortress Macross. They were understandably not super-confident in a project from a group of relative unknowns at Studio Nue who were pushing for a serious anime space opera. It took a while for the industry as a whole to get their heads around the idea that anime could be for serious dramatic storytelling, so in those early days it was a tough sell. The previous sponsor had wanted it to be a parody anime spoofing Gundam, after all. So Big West was somewhat reserved about the amount of money it provided for production, which turned out to be more expensive than projected after production started, but since they weren't convinced the show was going to be a success they were reluctant to up their funding for it and made their deal with Tatsunoko that gave Tatsunoko the rest-of-world distribution and merchandising rights to the show provided Tatsunoko paid for the actual production process.
The Macross Mecha Manual
yazi88

Sadly Harmony Gold renewed their licence with Tatsunoko for Macross.... Tatsunoko caved in....

https://twitter.com/MetalSkinPanic/stat ... 9376337920
DragoMaster009

...I don't get it. Why extend it instead of letting it dissolve? Even if whatever harebrained scheme for Robotech does get produced, it wouldn't to be enough to justify this.

Still, if Harmony Gold seems to keep slipping out of trouble on the animation side, maybe some pressure on the real estate side would fix their wagons?
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 pm Sadly Harmony Gold renewed their licence with Tatsunoko for Macross.... Tatsunoko caved in....

https://twitter.com/MetalSkinPanic/stat ... 9376337920
What a f*cking travesty.

Tatsunoko did a dumb, dumb thing. I can only assume they decided to take Harmony Gold to the cleaners over their alleged skimming off the top of the royalty payments. Either that or they agreed to renew to make Harmony Gold's lawsuit over Tatsunoko's refusal to pay the settlement order from the arbitration disappear.

Dumb dumb thing they did.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:49 pm What a f*cking travesty.

Tatsunoko did a dumb, dumb thing. I can only assume they decided to take Harmony Gold to the cleaners over their alleged skimming off the top of the royalty payments. Either that or they agreed to renew to make Harmony Gold's lawsuit over Tatsunoko's refusal to pay the settlement order from the arbitration disappear.

Dumb dumb thing they did.
http://is2.4chan.org/a/1562377195945.jpg

I have heard some rumors that Sony have a hand in this, because they want to work out a Robotech movie. Is this true?